New transmission quenstion??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
New transmission quenstion???

I have a 13 gt 6 spd manual with 480 miles, my transmission sometimes feels weird shifting to 5 and 6 gear. Like it is rubbing on something, but the gears go in fine. Is this a result of the car still not have been broken in????
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Re: New transmission quenstion???

It's still breaking in. Throw in some Amsoil MTG when you get a chance.

'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yea i was watching speed tv and they talked about it, should i put it even tho its brand new, i am way a little longer and see but i have hear it really works
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

I recall my shifter acting the same way when I first bought my car. But it didn't bother me much, and I just let it break in on its own. I guess using the Amsol at this point depends on how much the rubbing bothers you. Though either way, I'm sure using it now would be fine; hell, I'm no expert :p

My 2012 GT Premium.
Six Speed Manual
Forgestar CF10s
Dcobra31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

It doesnt bother me at all but i was worried it could have been a bigger problem, the shifter for our cars are not so good, specially when shifting hard. In the near future am get a mgw shifter but for now i am good with my wooden shifter haha
Old 08-28-2012, 10:34 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen
Yea i was watching speed tv and they talked about it, should i put it even tho its brand new, i am way a little longer and see but i have hear it really works
I put in syncro max by royal purple. Big difference. My shift problems r always 2nd and 3rd
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #7
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
I used RP tranny fluid too, my only issue is going into 2nd. Pretty sure I have mildly bad synchros but nothing severe enough for me to want to go through the hassle of the dealer

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
I used RP tranny fluid too, my only issue is going into 2nd. Pretty sure I have mildly bad synchros but nothing severe enough for me to want to go through the hassle of the dealer
Yeah, mine's on the edge. I'm just waiting for it to have a major problem before limping it into the dealership.

Seriously, the sooner you get that junk fluid out and replace it with AMSOil, RedLine or RP the better. FWIW, I don't generally recommend RP in the MT82, but there is plenty of discussion on that already for you to search and read up on.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada

OP. Leave it alone and put some more miles on it. This trans' shifter linkage when new combines tightness with vagueness at the same time.

If you want a meaningful mod, get a shifter bracket like the Steeda one. With it's red bushing in it's near indistinguishable from stock NVH wise. I'd also change out the plastic-leather thumb (if you're on 400a premium) for a ball-type knob. the stocker adds to the vagueness and imprecision of the shifter. Both of these are easily done and easily reversible if you need to visit the dealer later.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO
OP. Leave it alone and put some more miles on it. This trans' shifter linkage when new combines tightness with vagueness at the same time.

If you want a meaningful mod, get a shifter bracket like the Steeda one. With it's red bushing in it's near indistinguishable from stock NVH wise. I'd also change out the plastic-leather thumb (if you're on 400a premium) for a ball-type knob. the stocker adds to the vagueness and imprecision of the shifter. Both of these are easily done and easily reversible if you need to visit the dealer later.
I left mine alone and figure it would get better with break in. It didn't, it got worse. The sooner you get the ford fluid out, the better IMO.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Read what's being described as the problem in the original post. This is likely to improve with time, or a shifter bracket install. There's no need to incite panic here.

I'm pretty familiar with what will improve with time and what won't on this trans, if you read my experience with it so far here. He reports going into gear fine with what's in there, leave it alone.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Read what's being described as the problem in the original post. This is likely to improve with time, or a shifter bracket install. There's no need to incite panic here.

I'm pretty familiar with what will improve with time and what won't on this trans, if you read my experience with it so far here. He reports going into gear fine with what's in there, leave it alone.
The issue is that these transmissions aren't consistent. Mine was just like his, and it got worse every day I drove it. Swapping fluid made it slightly better, but the big thing was it stopped getting worse. I'm not trying to incite panic, but I haven't really heard of many mt82s getting "better." IIRC, yours only got better after a two month long battle with ford to get it replaced, right?

To be clear, I'm not saying it will get better or worse over time on its own. What I can say is that putting better fluid in it should not make it worse, and has stopped deterioration in many cases. This seems like the safe bet to me, whereas physically modifying the transmission and ignoring a potential problem will not help the OPs case with ford on the chance it does grenade.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

It is true these transmissions vary in performance. in fact, most manuals do, somewhat. It's a complex mechanical interaction between many parts that determines how well one works v. another.

There were obvious critical failures in my transmission, indicated by severe gear whine in multiple gears. Convincing Ford (as expected) that something wasn't right did take alot of time but ultimately, they rebuilt the transmission.

This guy's got nothing like that. He's just got a little stiff shifting action on a trans with a few hundred miles on it. The gears go in fine, there's no grinding, there's no noise, it's just a little stiff. It's alot safer bet saying that's going to improve than saying mine was going to. I've been diagnosing and repairing cars for 30 years and from his description, it doesn't sound like he's got alot to worry about at this stage.

Just my humble opinion of course but, it's best to go to Ford with a concrete issue that can be readily replicated, if you're expecting a remedy.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It is true these transmissions vary in performance. in fact, most manuals do, somewhat. It's a complex mechanical interaction between many parts that determines how well one works v. another.

There were obvious critical failures in my transmission, indicated by severe gear whine in multiple gears. Convincing Ford (as expected) that something wasn't right did take alot of time but ultimately, they rebuilt the transmission.

This guy's got nothing like that. He's just got a little stiff shifting action on a trans with a few hundred miles on it. The gears go in fine, there's no grinding, there's no noise, it's just a little stiff. It's alot safer bet saying that's going to improve than saying mine was going to. I've been diagnosing and repairing cars for 30 years and from his description, it doesn't sound like he's got alot to worry about at this stage.

Just my humble opinion of course but, it's best to go to Ford with a concrete issue that can be readily replicated, if you're expecting a remedy.
All I'm saying is mine started just like that. 5th an 6th just felt weird. Then 5th started grinding every time, then 3rd, then 2nd. After a while I was getting consistently locked out of 1st and 2nd, as well as grinding 2-5 every shift. There are plenty of people out there who have posted similar stories.

The only issue I have with your advice is tat doing nothing would be a lot better than physically modifying the trans. I just wouldn't want to give Ford any reasons to deny a warranty claim.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT