1st time going to the track, questions?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
1st time going to the track, questions??

Ok, going to the track for the 1st time this weekend and I've got more questions than a blind homo at a weenie roast.

Let me give you my supporting mods and if someone with a clue can get me pointed north, i'd appreciate it. I got 373's, boss mani, steeda CAI, BAMA 93R tune, oh and its the brembo car so I got 19s. 6MT and axel backs but not sure that matters.

1. the launch: I have no idea what RPM to launch this baby at? Do I rev this thing up and drop the clutch and just hammer it? seems like I'd just spin..is there a certain way i should do this?

2. advance track on/off?? sport mode, yes/no??

3. once im rolling any tips that i should know that i probably dont?

give it to me barney style guys.. really hoping not to look like a complete moron and get dusted by a civic!! LOL

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

also what is power shifting? (i picked this up off another thread). sounds serious.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I have the exact same questions!!!
Looking forward to the answers.
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Re: 1st time going to the track, questions??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
Ok, going to the track for the 1st time this weekend and I've got more questions than a blind homo at a weenie roast.

Let me give you my supporting mods and if someone with a clue can get me pointed north, i'd appreciate it. I got 373's, boss mani, steeda CAI, BAMA 93R tune, oh and its the brembo car so I got 19s. 6MT and axel backs but not sure that matters.

1. the launch: I have no idea what RPM to launch this baby at? Do I rev this thing up and drop the clutch and just hammer it? seems like I'd just spin..is there a certain way i should do this?

give it to me barney style guys.. really hoping not to look like a complete moron and get dusted by a civic!! LOL

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

also what is power shifting? (i picked this up off another thread). sounds serious.
1. That's going to depend on your tires. If you're still on the stock rubber, that's what's going to hold you back this time around. The Boss Intake loves high RPM launches, but street tires don't. You're just going to have to experiment with this a bit, maybe start at 2k and work up from there until it's not bogging and the wheelspin is manageable.

Don't dump the clutch, that will just make you spin for days. You're going to want to roll off the clutch and into the throttle. Even with DRs it's hard to dump the clutch without wheelspin.

Drive around the water box and just spin your tires a bit to get the dust off and a bit of heat into them. No point in a big smokey burnout on street tires, and you definitely don't want them to be wet.

2. Optimally, you will want Advancetrac all the way off (the hold in the button for 5 seconds while stopped and foot on brake method), but you may want to try sport mode for you first few passes just to get a feel for running down the track. Keep in mind that Sport Mode is still going to dial back the power if it thinks the wheels are spinning. This can make you bog off the line as well if you launch too hard.

3. Take a helmet, long pants, closed toed shoes, and a long and short sleeve shirt. Don't run the AC. Don't go WOT on the shifts (you'll spin your street tires if you do, and that is scary as ****). Keep your eyes straight ahead. You're in a narrow corridor with a slim margin for error and at 100MPH+ the car steers where you look ... keep that in mind.

Oh, and if you want to race on a regular basis, start saving for a set of Drag Radials and Lower Control Arms

Powershifting:
Powershifting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (close enough for educational purposes lol)
My recommendation is to not worry about shifting that aggressively this time around. Just get comfortable going down the track and work on your launch. A good 60' time on street tires is around 2.0, so shoot for that and the rest will come.
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada

Here's my hints:

strongly suggest you invest in an upper control arm of your choice. That's the source of the nastiest wheel hop ever that you are about to experience. LCAs can cure it, too but the main source is the upper. I put the OEM Roush one one on and I love it. Quiet, effective, no issues.

3000 rpm and some clutch slip will get it going ok for a start. Don't let the rpms drop too much.

trac control all off

if it's tuned for the mani, you'll want to shift a good bit over 7000, where the Boss Mani comes alive.

Don't powershift an MT82 unless you've got a really good shifter and don't mind risking an internal explosion.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
1. That's going to depend on your tires. If you're still on the stock rubber, that's what's going to hold you back this time around. The Boss Intake loves high RPM launches, but street tires don't. You're just going to have to experiment with this a bit, maybe start at 2k and work up from there until it's not bogging and the wheelspin is manageable.

Don't dump the clutch, that will just make you spin for days. You're going to want to roll off the clutch and into the throttle. Even with DRs it's hard to dump the clutch without wheelspin.

Drive around the water box and just spin your tires a bit to get the dust off and a bit of heat into them. No point in a big smokey burnout on street tires, and you definitely don't want them to be wet.

2. Optimally, you will want Advancetrac all the way off (the hold in the button for 5 seconds while stopped and foot on brake method), but you may want to try sport mode for you first few passes just to get a feel for running down the track. Keep in mind that Sport Mode is still going to dial back the power if it thinks the wheels are spinning. This can make you bog off the line as well if you launch too hard.

3. Take a helmet, long pants, closed toed shoes, and a long and short sleeve shirt. Don't run the AC. Don't go WOT on the shifts (you'll spin your street tires if you do, and that is scary as ****). Keep your eyes straight ahead. You're in a narrow corridor with a slim margin for error and at 100MPH+ the car steers where you look ... keep that in mind.

Oh, and if you want to race on a regular basis, start saving for a set of Drag Radials and Lower Control Arms

Powershifting:
Powershifting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (close enough for educational purposes lol)
My recommendation is to not worry about shifting that aggressively this time around. Just get comfortable going down the track and work on your launch. A good 60' time on street tires is around 2.0, so shoot for that and the rest will come.
MikeC,

^^^ I couldn't have said it better myself. Just be careful, feather the clutch of the line and have a good time! Even though you have street tires you could lower the PSI in them a bit, with 35-40 psi in there you are going to spin no matter how hard you launch. I would start at 2,000 rpms and see how that works. If you bog, jump it up to 2,5-3k area and see how that works. If you slip the clutch right you should be able to get off the line pretty good. Worst case scenario, if you spin at 2k with those street tires, just leave at idle and then stab it! (keep in mind your times are at the mercy of the weather, track conditions, launch and shifting)

It's very addicting, I'm sure you'll be ordering Control arms and Drag Radials once you get home haha! Let me know if you have any questions!

- Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana

All thanks for the above! it's really appreciated. It seems like an easy concept (go fast in a straight line) but what once you start thinking about it.. the launch is kinda complicated.

I have 1 last question: At the start line well holding the 2000-3500 rpm to start. Im assuming the car isnt going to roll back or forward on the track with the clutch in?before the green light..

again thanks for the above and I will let you know my times!!~
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
It shouldn't, the track should be flat...
Old 08-30-2012, 11:19 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada

Good luck. Try to carefully observe everything you do and make changes one thing at a time so you can be reasonably sure what gave you the results. This will take more than one track day, I guarantee it.

quickest method is to sign up for a test and tune session at your local track. they are abit more $$ than a track day usually but worth it, as you can compress the learning curve into a single day and reduce the uncommanded variables like weather, track condition, etc.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Exactly. Be extremely careful with a full on power-shift with this tranny.
Intricate30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT