o2 sensor heat code - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
o2 sensor heat code

I searched several forums but found very little.

I installed BBK cat deletes and now have an o2 sensor heat code P0141 (P0135 for reference). Has anyone else gotten this code after installing o/r pipe or cat deletes?

I checked the o2 sensor and all looks good. It wasn't even unplugged during install. It seems the heat sensor isn't warming up fast enough within the current parameters and thus throwing this code.

BAMA told me it's a sensor problem, but I've also read that the tuner can fix this in the tune?

Thanks for any help.
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Jetag93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: o2 sensor heat code

it's because you lost the cats...you'll have to turn the code off with a tune...on a 99-04 mil eliminators would also work. i don't think your year would run them right though..not sure honestly
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The rear o2's have to be turned off in the computer. Nobody makes a o2 simulator that I've found, so you have to have a tuner/programmer.
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorDog009
The rear o2's have to be turned off in the computer. Nobody makes a o2 simulator that I've found, so you have to have a tuner/programmer.
Yea I have the updated tune from bama installed but still get this code.
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Old 09-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
The o2 sensors have a heating element that have nothing to do with removing the cats as far as throwing codes. The heating element heats up the o2 sensors to get it to read the exhaust properly upon start up.

Sounds to me like you damaged them when you removed and reinstalled your parts

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Strange. I figured if the o2's were turned off they wouldn't need to even be plugged in. Not sure how they tune these computers though, I've seen EFI live used and it was like an on/off selection.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #7
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Not completely sure how all the computer stuff works but there is definitely different components as far as a reading for exhaust gases and can tell wether or not the heater element works. If there is no reason to turn off the heater element portion then why waste the time doing so.

And im pretty sure that the o2s aren't simply "turned off" because then there would be no reading sent back to the computer and you would get a code for running rich, lean, or not at all. If I had to guess I would say that it's most likely that the o2s constantly send signals back to the ECM saying that vehicle is runnin within acceptable AFR

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 09-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

The front o2's control your rich/lean signals. The rears only tell the computer whether or not the cats are working within their parameters, so it'll know whether or not to turn on the CEL. That's all the rears are for, the CEL light control.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #9
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorDog009
The front o2's control your rich/lean signals. The rears only tell the computer whether or not the cats are working within their parameters, so it'll know whether or not to turn on the CEL. That's all the rears are for, the CEL light control.
Ah, ok, well either way you can't simply turn them off and have zero signal from the rear o2s because CEL would still be on. And Heating element is separate from reading unburnt fuels. My point is that if something is wrong with heating element that has nothing to do with not having cats, completely separate issues, not something to be taken care of with tuner

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 09-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0

Ah, ok, well either way you can't simply turn them off and have zero signal from the rear o2s because CEL would still be on. And Heating element is separate from reading unburnt fuels. My point is that if something is wrong with heating element that has nothing to do with not having cats, completely separate issues, not something to be taken care of with tuner
Ok thx. I'll try replacing the sensor.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Ok, that makes sense.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Its sounds like the heater circuit like the guy above says,,usually its p0420,,when it the cats,,If its catching one side,,swapp the sensors from side to side if they are the same length and see if it shows the code for the other side,,that way your sure the wire and pcm are ok.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Region: California
During the instal did u unplug the negative terminal of your battery?
Mustang_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Changing out o2 sensor solved it. Guess I did damage it during install somehow.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT