Winterizing the Stang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 18
Winterizing the Stang

Does anyone have any good ideas or experiences on winterizing their stang. I'm, in Wisconsin so i will be storing the stang for about 6 months. I have a buddy that will store it for me in his out building. The building is not heated. I was thinking of course a car cover, and put the tires up on 2x6s to prevent dry rot, and stable in the fuel for the last tank. Do you have any other ides?

Thanks,

Ksquared
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mattz400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 114
Are the 2x6's any better than leaving on the ground? I was thinking about jack stands for the winter. A good detail of the car and leave the tank full of fuel to eliminate condensation in the tank.
__________________
Notta 66
Mattz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 18
Re: Winterizing the Stang

The 2x6" keep the tires from freezing (my father-in-law recommended). A good detail is always done. I'll wash wax and cover. Claybarred the entire car last weekend. Man does that stuff work. I love the soft feel after a fresh clay bar and wax.

Ksquared
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mattz400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksquared
The 2x6" keep the tires from freezing (my father-in-law recommended). A good detail is always done. I'll wash wax and cover. Claybarred the entire car last weekend. Man does that stuff work. I love the soft feel after a fresh clay bar and wax.

Ksquared
How do ya do the clay bar? I have seen and heard of this but never tried it. I have always been scared it would scratch it. What exactly does it do?
__________________
Notta 66
Mattz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rynarok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 421
Re: Winterizing the Stang

You buy a kit from 'Oreilly-Zone'. The Meguiar's does a good job.

You use it to get the small imperfections out of the clearcoat. I use one on my cars about once a year, and it's incredible that it's picking up so much crap! And the cars are regularly washed and waxed
__________________
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,863
I can't imagine not driving my Mustang for 6 months!
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #7
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 18
Yes the Meguires is what I used. The kit comes with the lubricant, 2 clay bars, and the spray quick wax. You can use this in full sun too.

Ksquared
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mattz400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 114
Well I suppose I will give it a try. Thanks.
__________________
Notta 66
Mattz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Bladezx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 389
A guy who lives down the Street from me put his car on cinder blocks and removed the tires and put them in his house and then built a frame around his car and tarped it. Kinda how new sport bikes come in crates. Of course he did this outside and had it in front of his lawn. Other then that fuel stabilizer and that's about it. No different then a bike or atv etc
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #10
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 18
I guess he could have just built a garage. Lol. At least I have a few more months before she goes to sleep. Maybe I should nickname her "sleeping beauty"

Ksquared
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #11
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 9
Do you have to do anything to the battery? I buddy of mine told me to invest in a battery tender. Do they make any difference or is starting it once a week just as good?
Msiegel117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mattz400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 114
A battery tender is a good idea if it's going to sit that long. I have heard that just starting it once a week is hard on them because you never really get the car up to temp. I suppose that could just be an ol wives tale...not sure.
__________________
Notta 66
Mattz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
McQueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,608
I love miami, i get to drive my baby all year around.
Last year i when to north carolina and there was an ice storm and when i woke up my rental car had slide and was in the middle of the street.
Lol. Let me look and see if i can post some pics.
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
poloka's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Missouri
Posts: 698
Battery trickle charger, a breathable car cover, put car on stands, and cover the wheels with trash bags if you can. Check out tire rack on tire storage. As for clay bar, I use Adams products. Love them!!! Really do a great job and have videos for all means in which to apply.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=37
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-37-ad...ray-combo.aspx
__________________
2011 GT 5.0 Supercharged Phase 2 TVS2300
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f376/t290294/
poloka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
avengnd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Stafford
Region: Virginia
Posts: 1,643
Re: Winterizing the Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksquared View Post
Does anyone have any good ideas or experiences on winterizing their stang. I'm, in Wisconsin so i will be storing the stang for about 6 months. I have a buddy that will store it for me in his out building. The building is not heated. I was thinking of course a car cover, and put the tires up on 2x6s to prevent dry rot, and stable in the fuel for the last tank. Do you have any other ides?

Thanks,

Ksquared

I'm guessing it snows a lot or there is tons of snow on the ground? If not I would just store it there and try to start it up and take it out once a week, even if it's just up and down the street. All kinds of people do all kinds of things to put their cars in storage. Remove the batteries, deflate the tires a bit, or remove them.
__________________
~ Alan Mustang Livin' and www.mustanglivin.com
2014 Shelby GT500
avengnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #16
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Ohio
Posts: 11
Re: Winterizing the Stang

1. Wash car and drive a short distance riding the brakes. This will dry any moisture on rotors to stop rusting.

2. Change oil and filter.

3. Store inside with visqueen plastic under the car

4. Connect a battery maintainer.

5. Cover with cotton (breathable) car cover

6. Do not start the car until its time to take it out in spring.


I stored my 1994 GT this way from 1998 (when purchased) and this procedure worked for me.
__________________
2012 GTCS. 6Spd 3.55
1994 GT convertible 5 spd 3.73
Vanwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #17
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 3
The big question is mice, Hope you have taken that into consideration. If they get in there you are...

I choose to drive mine.
Gogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:50 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
I've read all the posts and the most important thing of all is missing. Make shur your antifreeze is up to par, at least -25 * below. You can get a cheap tester at the parts store. As for stabil in the fuel, not in my *****, that stuffs junk. Your car will smoke til its gone. Just fill it with 93 oct and take the battery indoors, or a tender on it. As mentioned above, mice will be a problem, they like to eat wiring. It'll take a lot of decon on a regular basis, not just once.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:18 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
08SteedaQ350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynarok
You buy a kit from 'Oreilly-Zone'. The Meguiar's does a good job.

You use it to get the small imperfections out of the clearcoat. I use one on my cars about once a year, and it's incredible that it's picking up so much crap! And the cars are regularly washed and waxed
I too have been seeing this. What is this clay bar you talk about?
I wash mine every other day like its a religion. Saturdays are my full inside out job on it. But Id like to go a lil lore advanced.
I only use pressure to wash my car. I never drive in rain and always avoid any water or mud. No brushes or sponges ever touch my car. Just pressure. And ever other day, I hit it again just to keep the dust off
But a protectant would be nice. I'm not into spending 5 hours waxing my car. I'll pay someone if it comes down to that.
08SteedaQ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:01 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08SteedaQ350

I too have been seeing this. What is this clay bar you talk about?
I wash mine every other day like its a religion. Saturdays are my full inside out job on it. But Id like to go a lil lore advanced.
I only use pressure to wash my car. I never drive in rain and always avoid any water or mud. No brushes or sponges ever touch my car. Just pressure. And ever other day, I hit it again just to keep the dust off
But a protectant would be nice. I'm not into spending 5 hours waxing my car. I'll pay someone if it comes down to that.
Clay bars are used to remove grime and grit and whatever else from the clear coat of your car. I use it on mine probably too often but usually every other month as I get so much tar on my car from the streets of Cincinnati Ohio that I almost have too.

Also waxxing your car is a good thing. Protects the paint from the sun, helps keeping your car clean easier. Also gives her that super mirror like wet look.

I hand wax my car with mother gold caranuba wax and it takes about an hour and a half. That time includes cleaning all the little crevaces and putting back to black on the black plastic.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
08SteedaQ350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy

Clay bars are used to remove grime and grit and whatever else from the clear coat of your car. I use it on mine probably too often but usually every other month as I get so much tar on my car from the streets of Cincinnati Ohio that I almost have too.

Also waxxing your car is a good thing. Protects the paint from the sun, helps keeping your car clean easier. Also gives her that super mirror like wet look.

I hand wax my car with mother gold caranuba wax and it takes about an hour and a half. That time includes cleaning all the little crevaces and putting back to black on the black plastic.


Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3533660827.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	464.7 KB
ID:	78189

This stuff?
08SteedaQ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Vicello93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08SteedaQ350

This stuff?
I personally use the paste one... Stays longer and sticks better
Vicello93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
08SteedaQ350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicello93

I personally use the paste one... Stays longer and sticks better
I got that and the clay bar kit. Clay bar kit says to use this with it. Then I'll do a paste wax 'Mothers'
08SteedaQ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Yeah the paste one. Just be forewarned it will get in every crevice and show like a sore thumb. So take your time and make sure to get the crevaces.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:05 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Midnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 230
Vanwall just about covered it. Since the car will be in out building, stuff steel wool in the muffler tips so our "little friends" don't move in. I put a plasticized tarp on the floor, four pieces pf 3/4" plywood under the tires, then tied the tarp up over the car cover. Most every info on line says it's better to put wood under the tires than leave the suspension hanging in the air.
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
08SteedaQ350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy
Yeah the paste one. Just be forewarned it will get in every crevice and show like a sore thumb. So take your time and make sure to get the crevaces.
I usually use spray waxes. Especially with darker colored cars. But it shouldn't be so bad now.
08SteedaQ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tatsumake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Denton
Region: Texas
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen
I love miami, i get to drive my baby all year around.
Last year i when to north carolina and there was an ice storm and when i woke up my rental car had slide and was in the middle of the street.
Lol. Let me look and see if i can post some pics.
Hahaha! Def get some pics
Tatsumake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
WTF how did this thread go from winterizing to detailing ?
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
Lol
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
08SteedaQ350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4
WTF how did this thread go from winterizing to detailing ?
Lol cause of me. I saw 'clay bar' and I've seen it mentioned a few times and have been curious
08SteedaQ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4
WTF how did this thread go from winterizing to detailing ?
Because if you are storing you car you should always wash and wax it before putting it away. Anything to inhibit rust and any residue that would eat away at your car.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy

Because if you are storing you car you should always wash and wax it before putting it away. Anything to inhibit rust and any residue that would eat away at your car.
That's what covers are for.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4

That's what covers are for.
If you drive once through the fake salt that is sprayed and get it on your car and don't wash it off for months, it will wreck your underside.

Just as one example. It is far worse than regular salt, snow, etc.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
GE3G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 721
I just stored my stang today cleaned her and spray waxed with mquires... I bought a nice mustang cover from AM last year which fits like a glove... I store her in an underground heat parking lot ar my buddys condo.... Sad day
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by GE3G View Post
I just stored my stang today cleaned her and spray waxed with mquires... I bought a nice mustang cover from AM last year which fits like a glove... I store her in an underground heat parking lot ar my buddys condo.... Sad day
I just couldn't do it. haha. I drove my car last winter in the snow, and I will do it again. I didn't buy the car to be a collectable. I may not have it past 2015 if my dad has his way and buys it from me so I can get the new GT500.

That was his goal the day I purchased my mustang, buy it from me the day the loan was payed off lol.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



06:48 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.