First Planned Mods...opinions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-05-2012, 06:05 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
First Planned Mods...opinions

Some of you saw my introduction....I am Jeff and i am deployed in Afghanistan, my wife bought me a 2013 Black GT/CS as welcome home present. This is my second mustang...my first was a 93 Cobra. Anyway, I am planning and researching mods that I want to do to it when i get home and these are the first two. I am looking for opinions and other options, especially on the CAI for 13 models. I understand the hood heat extractors may or maynot be a problem.

1.) Roush axle-backs (I am thinkiing about headers and a midpipe in the future but loved the sound of these)

2.) C&L CAI (i have read numerous threads about CAIs on the 2013 and I understand that this is the only one that has made anything that address what could or could not be a design issue, I am curious to what CAIs other 13owners have as i wanted the Airaid to begin with)

Thanks for any help.

Jeff
13BlkSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2012, 06:28 AM   #2
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13BlkSunshine
Some of you saw my introduction....I am Jeff and i am deployed in Afghanistan, my wife bought me a 2013 Black GT/CS as welcome home present. This is my second mustang...my first was a 93 Cobra. Anyway, I am planning and researching mods that I want to do to it when i get home and these are the first two. I am looking for opinions and other options, especially on the CAI for 13 models. I understand the hood heat extractors may or maynot be a problem.

1.) Roush axle-backs (I am thinkiing about headers and a midpipe in the future but loved the sound of these)

2.) C&L CAI (i have read numerous threads about CAIs on the 2013 and I understand that this is the only one that has made anything that address what could or could not be a design issue, I am curious to what CAIs other 13owners have as i wanted the Airaid to begin with)

Thanks for any help.

Jeff
Welcome Jeff! First off thanks for your service! Which branch?

1) I have roush mufflers on my car with offroad xpipe and it's super loud and I love it

2)C&L CAI is the only one made specifically for the 13 but many manufacturers will tell you there's will work fine. I will say keep in mind a tune may be required for CAI to not throw CEL code.

Make it home safe and Semper Fi!

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:45 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: First Planned Mods...opinions

Thanks GrabberBlue,

I am in the Air Force, I have been here for a year and i finally get to come home next week! I read that the C&L has one that you do not have to tune much like the Airaid. I am planning on a tune later on down the road but I do not want to mess with the warranty just yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2012, 07:27 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Thanks GrabberBlue,

I am in the Air Force, I have been here for a year and i finally get to come home next week! I read that the C&L has one that you do not have to tune much like the Airaid. I am planning on a tune later on down the road but I do not want to mess with the warranty just yet.
If you purchase the c&l CAI, there is a option to choose if you if want one that needs a tune or not. If you choose no tune there is an adapter that goes inside the maf housing that can be removed later when you want to tune it.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa View Post
If you purchase the c&l CAI, there is a option to choose if you if want one that needs a tune or not. If you choose no tune there is an adapter that goes inside the maf housing that can be removed later when you want to tune it.
That is why I am leaning towards that model...I do plan on getting a tune later but wanted to get something that was plug and play now. This one and the Airaid seem to be the only two that do that. I am leaning toward the C&L just to be on the safe side due to the water drainage issue.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #6
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Not a bad Idea, just keep in mind you'll probably have to buy a whole different intake once you decide to tune for Mac airflow. As a first mod CAI yields no gains but once you start pushing more power you're gonna want the more air

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 09-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Not a bad Idea, just keep in mind you'll probably have to buy a whole different intake once you decide to tune for Mac airflow. As a first mod CAI yields no gains but once you start pushing more power you're gonna want the more air

Wouldn't I just be able to remove the tube to allow for a tune or are you saying that the C&L is not a good intake for the long run?

Gripping the wheel, his knuckles went white with desire! The wheels of his Mustang exploding on the highway like a slug from a .45. True death: 400 horsepower of maximum performance piercing the night...This is Black Sunshine-White Zombie
Old 09-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #8
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

Wouldn't I just be able to remove the tube to allow for a tune or are you saying that the C&L is not a good intake for the long run?
Honestly I'm not sure how C&L has engineered their intake. However a no tune req'd intake has less airflow than tune req'd intake. I've been told air raid uses an insert to decrease intake tube size, does c&l do the same? And long term I think it'll work just fine, would just hate to see you buy 2 diff intakes for 1 car... That's the point I'm at right now

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 09-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0

Honestly I'm not sure how C&L has engineered their intake. However a no tune req'd intake has less airflow than tune req'd intake. I've been told air raid uses an insert to decrease intake tube size, does c&l do the same? And long term I think it'll work just fine, would just hate to see you buy 2 diff intakes for 1 car... That's the point I'm at right now
C&L uses a insert as well. It's a $20 option but it's easily removable when you are ready to tune.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #10
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa

C&L uses a insert as well. It's a $20 option but it's easily removable when you are ready to tune.
^ thanks smozilla!

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 09-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

No prob.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Can we just call it what it is, a restrictor plate. NASCAR tech in street cars for the win! Rofl
Old 09-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85
Can we just call it what it is, a restrictor plate. NASCAR tech in street cars for the win! Rofl
Lol
Old 09-06-2012, 12:53 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys for all the input....it looks like I will be going with the Roush axle-backs and the C&L CAI for my first mods!

Gripping the wheel, his knuckles went white with desire! The wheels of his Mustang exploding on the highway like a slug from a .45. True death: 400 horsepower of maximum performance piercing the night...This is Black Sunshine-White Zombie
Old 09-06-2012, 02:14 AM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
Good one. Love my C&L.

'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I placed an order with American Muscle for the Roush's and a JLT Black Oil Separator. I am going the order the C&L CAI as soon as I get home next week.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Roush exhaust installed and sounding good! Also got tint and the Oil Seperator installed....it was a good day....pics are in my album!

Old 09-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Beautiful. I try to do all the protective stuff early (tints, all-weather mats, trunk liner, deflectors, oil separator, fog covers, clear bra, car cover, etc.), then wheels, then exhaust, but I see you've got tint & separator covered and the wheels are sweet as is. Snow tires then if u need em, then cosmetic, interior and suspension stuff till later in the warranty and then build slow if thats your plan till the warranty runs out. I got a 7-year so thats my plan. Plenty of mods to buy before you need power adders on that bad boy. Thanks for your service man.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Awesome. Congrats on ur stang & comin home!!
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Jetag93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT