Got my procal today, but.... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Got my procal today, but....

Left the dealer, hit the access road and did the u-turn under over the highway. Traffic stopped so I throw it in neutral an coast to a stop... As does the engine. Very smooth, the needle just dropped smoothly to 0 RPMs. WTH!?!?!?!

Called the service guy (useless), he told me (knows nothing) it should be fine and call if it happens again.

Anyone have some
Insight? I know after canned tunes, engines act odd for a short period but from what I read there is no break in period on the Procal tune.

Drove another 10 miles, split between highway and stop/go. Didn't happen again
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Probably just the learning curve/relearn taking place.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Contact your tune writer tech support. They can only help if you datalog the car and send to them.
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Re: Got my procal today, but....

That ain't alot of good with the Procal as there's no "tune writer" just FRPP. Do a crank sensor relearn with the Procal tool and it'll be fine.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO
That ain't alot of good with the Procal as there's no "tune writer" just FRPP. Do a crank sensor relearn with the Procal tool and it'll be fine.
thanks, this is very specific. Cant find anything for procal tool + crank sensor relearn through google (after digging thru threads for a while) but enough to get the idea. Calling Ford's tech support tomorrow to confirm this doesnt void warranty (had to pay a dealer to do it in order to get full warranty vs only 12 months if I pushed hte buttons myself) and then get a walkthrough. I called them once before and was really impressed with the short wait time and the dude knew what he was talking about... product so far is certainly in question though.

On a sidenote, I am not SURE I can even tell a difference but I was a little shaken up with the whole car dying thing.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:57 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

This is just a diagnostic procedure. It doesn't change the tune in any way and so, your warranty is safe. It's really easy, I'll walk ya through it. Fire up car, plug in tool at the OBD port near your left knee.

Goto programming and scroll through the selections to profile relearn. Press enter and it'll tell you what to do. it'll set a CEL and ask you to rev the engine a few times til the light goes out. Make sure you rev it to at least 3500 rpm.

That's it. Done. Any tune takes a while to settle in and learn the individual engine's operating parameters.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:24 AM   #7
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Remember.... Anytime a tune is done the idle relearn procedure MUST ALSO be done!!!!

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
Remember.... Anytime a tune is done the idle relearn procedure MUST ALSO be done!!!!
Yep, there are about seventy billion threads on cars running like **** after a tune and this fixes it 99% of the time. The procedure can be found in any of these threads or in your owners manual near the section about jumping the car in the event of a dead battery.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys. Well, I had read there was no re-learning required after install and confirmed with FRPP on the phone today.

I happened again at lunch so I wasn't going to wait and sat in the parking lot at work. Called the tech line. It is not throwing any dtc's and the settings were all correct. Without seeing it, the FRPP guy is pretty sure the dealer loosened a ground wire somewhere. I am skeptical. Granted, I truly believe the tech at the dealer is a moron an did something. However, the only thing he had his hands on was the connection under the dash. He would've needed to yank pretty damn hard.

Anyway... Fun stuff and the car is holding down the garage for the weekend.

When the engine is running, it hauls! 3200 to redline is completely different.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidRRaxle View Post
Thanks guys. Well, I had read there was no re-learning required after install and confirmed with FRPP on the phone today.
Confirmed that it is or isnt? It definitely is, even when you disconnect your battery. There is no way to flash the ECU without resetting these parameters from what I understand.

Quote:
I happened again at lunch so I wasn't going to wait and sat in the parking lot at work. Called the tech line. It is not throwing any dtc's and the settings were all correct. Without seeing it, the FRPP guy is pretty sure the dealer loosened a ground wire somewhere.
Pretty sure it would just flat out die if that were the case. I would reflash and do the idle/fuel trim relearn. Every now and then a flash just doesn't take right and a proper reflash will fix it ... it's uncommon but not impossible.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #11
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky

I mean you really should just try the idle relearn... take about 1 hr tops, and you can do many other things most of the time

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:04 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

Confirmed that it is or isnt? It definitely is, even when you disconnect your battery. There is no way to flash the ECU without resetting these parameters from what I understand.

Pretty sure it would just flat out die if that were the case. I would reflash and do the idle/fuel trim relearn. Every now and then a flash just doesn't take right and a proper reflash will fix it ... it's uncommon but not impossible.
Confirmed the ecu is not supposed to require time and miles to learn the new tune, a break-in if you will. Wheni told the guy the issues he told me right away it was wrong and take it back immediately.

I am going to have a rough weekend... I am not the type to let shops do work for me that I can do at home. However, I cannot do anything here (even tho I have the tool and the instructions) other than a diagnostic. If they see another flash, my warranty goes down to 12 months. Frustrating. Odds are 50/50 that I make it thru the weekend without plugging it back in and fixing it. I am pretty sure the idle relearn is the way to go. The tach sits anywhere from 500 to 800. Doesn't seem happy at any point and once it is warm, I don't feel that is an appropriate range

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

Thanks for this guys, I appreciate the insight
Old 09-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Confirmed the ecu is not supposed to require time and miles to learn the new tune, a break-in if you will. Wheni told the guy the issues he told me right away it was wrong and take it back immediately.

I am going to have a rough weekend... I am not the type to let shops do work for me that I can do at home. However, I cannot do anything here (even tho I have the tool and the instructions) other than a diagnostic. If they see another flash, my warranty goes down to 12 months. Frustrating. Odds are 50/50 that I make it thru the weekend without plugging it back in and fixing it. I am pretty sure the idle relearn is the way to go. The tach sits anywhere from 500 to 800. Doesn't seem happy at any point and once it is warm, I don't feel that is an appropriate range

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

Thanks for this guys, I appreciate the insight
You aren't allowed to use the tool to reflash your own PCM? Thats ridiculous. What if you pull the negative battery cable? Would they ding your warranty if your battery died (it would look the same). This would let you do the idle relearn properly ... and I'm telling you no matter what the monkey at Ford said, your symptoms are exactly what the idle relearn fixes.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:38 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You aren't allowed to use the tool to reflash your own PCM? Thats ridiculous. What if you pull the negative battery cable? Would they ding your warranty if your battery died (it would look the same). This would let you do the idle relearn properly ... and I'm telling you no matter what the monkey at Ford said, your symptoms are exactly what the idle relearn fixes.
In short, yup....

The tech line was specific, you can go to diagnostics only from the menu. Honestly though, this has got me pissed and now I am doing it anyway. Planned a proper dyno tune in a year or so once I nut'd up and started putting some real mods on her. Was only doing suspension for the first year to wait it out and see if there were any factory defects. They can fight me on this, but this tool came with an 8 page instruction book. I don't recall talking to that guy on the phone... Thought I was supposed to do this (everything is in there, including this).

There is also an inconsistent power delivery. Most of the time I am surprised by the change in the curve, but more than once I have been sucking air at around 3500 rpms. If this doesn't work, I am re-doing the entire tune (yup, 23 step instructions for that too). I have the certificate (purchase) and the receipt for work from the dealer. I fax that in to lock in the warranty. Problem arises, I go to a different dealer and if they bring up the flash.... Sorry the other guys didn't do their paperwork when they fixed their F up.

Anyway. Sucks. I will update here.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:56 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

23 steps to load a tune? That has to be a joke... can you scan them so we can all laugh at them together?
Old 09-08-2012, 12:14 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
23 steps to load a tune? That has to be a joke... can you scan them so we can all laugh at them together?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2104292770.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	468.2 KB
ID:	67673

Technically 29(b), but with my config u stop at 23
Old 09-08-2012, 01:19 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Lol that's insane. I like how it says at the top "no part of this document may be reproduced" like it's some kind of epic secret.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO
This is just a diagnostic procedure. It doesn't change the tune in any way and so, your warranty is safe. It's really easy, I'll walk ya through it. Fire up car, plug in tool at the OBD port near your left knee.

Goto programming and scroll through the selections to profile relearn. Press enter and it'll tell you what to do. it'll set a CEL and ask you to rev the engine a few times til the light goes out. Make sure you rev it to at least 3500 rpm.

That's it. Done. Any tune takes a while to settle in and learn the individual engine's operating parameters.
Appreciate this 5lho... Ran this, now going to run it 100 miles. Reloading the entire tune if this doesn't work
Old 09-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Appreciate this 5lho... Ran this, now going to run it 100 miles. Reloading the entire tune if this doesn't work
Good luck man! Keep us up to speed.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks... Did the relearn, drove for a while. Now throwing p0315 dtc. Spent last 30 minutes driving up hard to 70 and then closed throttle drift back to 40. Code still coming up.---

Anyway, inconsistent power delivery is gone and hasn't died. This new code is another relearn so I think it will solve itself. If not, back to the shop
Old 09-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

It's going to be fine. Don't reload the tune. Give it time and don't try to force it with high vacuum decel operation.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #22
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Probably just the learning curve/relearn taking place.
+1
Old 09-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Agree with everybody. what did you have done to the car? This a tune only or a SC install?
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan

Napoleon85,

I drool every time I see the picture of your car in a thread. That is right up my alley. It has(to me) a very retro look to it. The rims and tires are very cool.

Couple of questions:

I looked at your blog, and noticed you had 19's on the back, and 18's on the front. How come? Did you lower it? Could you use 19's all around with a stock suspension?

Are the side scoops, and window louvers from Ford, or are they after market? If after market, which ones are they?

Thanks,

Tim
Tim13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim13
Napoleon85,

I drool every time I see the picture of your car in a thread. That is right up my alley. It has(to me) a very retro look to it. The rims and tires are very cool.

Couple of questions:

I looked at your blog, and noticed you had 19's on the back, and 18's on the front. How come? Did you lower it? Could you use 19's all around with a stock suspension?

Are the side scoops, and window louvers from Ford, or are they after market? If after market, which ones are they?

Thanks,

Tim
Thanks for the compliments!

The wheels are 18s all around, and I actually have two sets. The fronts are always 18x9, and I have a set of 18x9 and a set of 18x10 for the rear with drag radials. the scoops and deck lid panel are all from Ford, they came on the car.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT