Mustang info for jdm guy - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Mustang info for jdm guy

Hey guys , ive been into jap cars forever. I was about to grab an evox till i saw a 2013 mustang by my house and fell in love.. After that i did my regular car guy stuff (check aftermarket prices/join forums, etc) im almoust sold into getting one. Im 28 with 3 kids and im kind of feeling like its about time to get a grown up car , plus i got tired of turbo cars , u never get to enjoy them ( all the time looking at the afr gauge and boost gauge) i want a car that i can jump and drive... But in the other hand i've read a lot of you guys get into accidents just by swerving a lil , thing that scares me a little.
Also i live in nj so it does snow sometime and i never drove a +300 rwhp car in the snow (btw im trying to get the 2013 gt) .
I ask this question on the mitsubishi forums and of course the mitsu people answer from their point of sight
Do you guys thing that the gt is a better car DD than then evox ? I mean i know that it is a better car ,but is it if u r going to use it as a DD? Mpg and 0-60 ate pretty close on both cars .
Main thing that i like about the stang is that its a car that i could have for the next 30 years and not look stupid in it, as for the evox i saw a couple of old dudes driving it and u r like wtf is granpa doing lol.
Anyways thx for ur time in advance sorry for the long paragraph and the bad english
Villero1834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Awesome post. I love all cars and I am sure a lot of people here can appreciate the research you are doing pre-purchase.

Aside from the pickups (I live in Texas), I have owned a 335 (twin turbo OEM), Camaro SS ('10) and now a Mustang 5.0 '13. That gives you some background, at least on my taste.

I was considering the STI, and actually the WRX. Cheaper but easier to launch.. but I will get back to that.

It will not rally, but sooner or later they need to get off the hill and hit some pavement. When they do, you will own them. Anyway, I already mentioned the pickup trucks, that is what they are for

The swerving thing is a misnomer. It is done for fun. That is, unless you really have no place behind the wheel. Proper rubber and a few suspension upgrades and this thing does better than hold its own on the track (don't believe me, i am just a forum post, check out C&D as well as MT mags). It FEELS like it is all over the place though, so if you like the sensation of being sucked to hte road, budget $2k for suspension. You do that and nothing in this price range will touch you on the track.

My parents were retarded about mustangs, so I grew up around them and drove them more than a few times when they were asleep. It will drive in the snow... not well but not so bad that you need to call a cab. If you dont have a lot of experience doing this with a rear wheel drive car, get a cheap set of rims and throw on some all seasons. Use those in teh winter. There are more than a few guys swapping out factory rims and hocking them on ebay/craigslist/here.

Anyway, dont mean to hard-sell you here. I just know how great a good suspension feels on a light or IRS car, and hoe a properly launched turbo feels. However, AWD 0-60 times vary wildly because you have to get it just right (see, i came full circle there), and turbos lag.This thing is a beast+ off the lot, but also leaves a LOT of room to make it your own.
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

ive never driven in the snow( im from tx) and never drove a 13.. but damn there so beautiful to look at. and im the engines are so beast stock. as long as u have a bigget vehicle to fit ur kids in, then totally get the 13 gt. u will not regret it

Low2v
Horseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

In the end it will be what you want to drive. I have two teens still at home that can squeeze in if need be. However my wife has a family car for most of that stuff. If we didn't
Have that maybe I'm in a SUV. But if your choices are evox or pony, the stang will win here
Brandon280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Mustang info for jdm guy

Thx i do have a horrible soccer mom minivan that shrinks my weiner everytime i drive it, right now im riding on a ducati hypermotard but ill be getting the car i this next month, theres a $10k difference between the evo and the pony but i kind of fell like ill be spending less $ on mods on the mustang so it will be balanced or i might even save money by getting the more expensive car
Old 09-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Dakota
These cars love snow with snow tires and modding mustangs are a lot easier than the Evo
Mweigt07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Im not sure about the 13,,but i love the way it feels and drives,,Its good for driving long trips,,plus its fast exspecially the 13,,you need to test drive one that way youll know

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang View Post
Im not sure about the 13,,but i love the way it feels and drives,,Its good for driving long trips,,plus its fast exspecially the 13,,you need to test drive one that way youll know
Also i think they handle pretty good ,,but you have to get used to the blind spots
Old 09-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
Sounds like u have a decent input of reviews with mustangs in the snow so I just want to add my recommendation short and sweet. You are looking to drive it in the snow look for a 3.31 gear ratio and 3.55s at a max. Shorter gears r fun but u will be a
ble to harass the power better in slick conditions with a longer diff gear. The traction control is pretty good in these things so with the all season tires I think you will be fine

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidRRaxle View Post
Awesome post. I love all cars and I am sure a lot of people here can appreciate the research you are doing pre-purchase.

Aside from the pickups (I live in Texas), I have owned a 335 (twin turbo OEM), Camaro SS ('10) and now a Mustang 5.0 '13. That gives you some background, at least on my taste.

I was considering the STI, and actually the WRX. Cheaper but easier to launch.. but I will get back to that.

It will not rally, but sooner or later they need to get off the hill and hit some pavement. When they do, you will own them. Anyway, I already mentioned the pickup trucks, that is what they are for

The swerving thing is a misnomer. It is done for fun. That is, unless you really have no place behind the wheel. Proper rubber and a few suspension upgrades and this thing does better than hold its own on the track (don't believe me, i am just a forum post, check out C&D as well as MT mags). It FEELS like it is all over the place though, so if you like the sensation of being sucked to hte road, budget $2k for suspension. You do that and nothing in this price range will touch you on the track.

My parents were retarded about mustangs, so I grew up around them and drove them more than a few times when they were asleep. It will drive in the snow... not well but not so bad that you need to call a cab. If you dont have a lot of experience doing this with a rear wheel drive car, get a cheap set of rims and throw on some all seasons. Use those in teh winter. There are more than a few guys swapping out factory rims and hocking them on ebay/craigslist/here.

Anyway, dont mean to hard-sell you here. I just know how great a good suspension feels on a light or IRS car, and hoe a properly launched turbo feels. However, AWD 0-60 times vary wildly because you have to get it just right (see, i came full circle there), and turbos lag.This thing is a beast+ off the lot, but also leaves a LOT of room to make it your own.
Thx for the info i was looking that the sti/wrx as well but the engine has a lot of problems , as for modding the stang , my first mod in mind is a full set of coilovers
Old 09-06-2012, 11:09 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Another question , i heard mpg are not too great , i ussually fill it up around once a week , i think thats normal for any car that doesnt have a crazy amount of miles to do daily, how much does it take to fill it up , a know an evo take around $60 to fill up with 93 oct at almoust $4 per gallon, my brother has a new f150 and he's spending $120 per tank , thats a lot lol , anyways im trying to gather all possible data before signing my new stang
Old 09-06-2012, 11:17 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I was also into jap cars for years... I was gonna get the 370z and when the 5.0 came out I test drove it just to see how it is and it was a no brainer I fell in love with it... and its so mod friendly, I'm addicted to Modding it... and it definitely is a more grown up car, I got tired of the ricer meets and cruises... too many punk kids. Were in the muscle car era and the ppl u encounter with these type rides are much cooler IMHO... what part of Jersey u from?
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

North jersey , ridgefield pk . Any news about the gas consumpsion , got this question in my head and im starting to worry
Old 09-06-2012, 11:27 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villero1834
North jersey , ridgefield pk . Any news about the gas consumpsion , got this question in my head and im starting to worry
Yea ur right by me, I'm in lodi... mine isn't a DD but to fill the tank with 93 could run u under $40, but it don't last long... I think these cars only have a 16 gallon tank and the way I drive, I'll probably get about 160-180 miles on 1 tank
Old 09-06-2012, 11:35 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Mr gtstyles2 u just made my day...well night lol , u might see me around if i get my stang , i work on garibaldi and summit ave lol
Old 09-06-2012, 11:43 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Mr gtstyles2 u just made my day...well night lol , u might see me around if i get my stang , i work on garibaldi and summit ave lol
Lol yea u will definitely see me around... I think I'm the only red 5.0 in north Jersey lol... I love it!!
Old 09-06-2012, 11:46 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

There one in hackensack that makes me drool everytime i see it
Old 09-07-2012, 02:00 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

Welcome to the wonderful world of maxed out credit cards and arguments with the wife about the necessity of new mods! I have a few friends that are still into JDM, but I'm 33... I'm honestly too old for that crowd. If you get the 13 5.0 go for the premium with all the bells and whistles and honestly... It's at least comparable to an Acura TL or BMW 3 series IMHO (leather, back-up cam, SYNC, etc). As I, and my friends, get older at some point we stop caring so much about ripping out the interior to save 50Lbs and getting carbon fiber pedals... and our attention turns to huge reliable power without sacrificing comfort, not being embarrassed about a ridiculous tuner-boy car when someone needs a ride, and being comfortable taking your car on a date and then to the track the next day.

As far as MPG, if the cruise control is set at 70 I get about 24-27 MPG (I've got an auto with the 3.15 gears... soon to be 3.73s). Around town I get around 19 MPG... but I also take it to 6,000+ RPM every chance I get... another unintended side affect of 400+ HP. If you compare this to real world driving of the STI or EVO I think you'll find that it's not really far off... plus you can still use 87 octane if you can resist tuning... I couldn't. In the STI and EVO I'm pretty sure you have to use 91.

The biggest difference you will see immediately is that in the 5.0 you will almost never get revved on because most of the JDM crowd wouldn't even try, and most of the muscle car crowd wouldn't usually do it on the street anyway... If they do they usually want to strike up a conversation about mods rather than talk sh*t.

Anyway, for what it's worth, ultimately you won't regret getting an EVO, STI or the 5.0 because you're obviously into performance and all 3 are great on their own merits. I went for the 5.0 for all the reasons above.

CURRENT: 2016 GTPP, Vortech, Ford/Borla cat back, 1" drop on Vogtland, 1" Hubcentric spacers, APR Front Splitter, RTR Upper Grille.

SOLD: 2011 5.0, Auto, C&L CAI, Dyno Tuned, 3.73s, Boss 302 Intake, Magnaflow Competition axlebacks, Stallion Suspension LCAs, Whiteline Sway Bars.
doug5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:58 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug5.0
Welcome to the wonderful world of maxed out credit cards and arguments with the wife about the necessity of new mods! I have a few friends that are still into JDM, but I'm 33... I'm honestly too old for that crowd. If you get the 13 5.0 go for the premium with all the bells and whistles and honestly... It's at least comparable to an Acura TL or BMW 3 series IMHO (leather, back-up cam, SYNC, etc). As I, and my friends, get older at some point we stop caring so much about ripping out the interior to save 50Lbs and getting carbon fiber pedals... and our attention turns to huge reliable power without sacrificing comfort, not being embarrassed about a ridiculous tuner-boy car when someone needs a ride, and being comfortable taking your car on a date and then to the track the next day.

As far as MPG, if the cruise control is set at 70 I get about 24-27 MPG (I've got an auto with the 3.15 gears... soon to be 3.73s). Around town I get around 19 MPG... but I also take it to 6,000+ RPM every chance I get... another unintended side affect of 400+ HP. If you compare this to real world driving of the STI or EVO I think you'll find that it's not really far off... plus you can still use 87 octane if you can resist tuning... I couldn't. In the STI and EVO I'm pretty sure you have to use 91.

The biggest difference you will see immediately is that in the 5.0 you will almost never get revved on because most of the JDM crowd wouldn't even try, and most of the muscle car crowd wouldn't usually do it on the street anyway... If they do they usually want to strike up a conversation about mods rather than talk sh*t.

Anyway, for what it's worth, ultimately you won't regret getting an EVO, STI or the 5.0 because you're obviously into performance and all 3 are great on their own merits. I went for the 5.0 for all the reasons above.
Well said ^^ new 5.0, EVO, or STI would be a great decision, I'm 31 and like all the bells and whistles and with minor bolt ons were already up there without a lot of hassle and showing off... definitely a better crowd than the ricer bunch... in my ricer days, I guess I was happy with something that cost me under 6k and make it loud and think it was fast lol... but of course im past that and now have the ultimate street machine now, and don't feel the need to show off, and at only half throttle have a grin on my face
Old 09-07-2012, 06:45 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
There one in hackensack that makes me drool everytime i see it
Are u talking about the Kona Blue with the black wheels?
Old 09-07-2012, 08:26 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Yep i got tired of saving weight , lol removing back seats i even tou about getting rid of the ac... Then one of my boys (thats not into into cars btw) got a g37 and when i rode that i was like this is bull**** lol, i want a car thats fun and also u like lol... And to gtstyles , nope there a red one , can tell if its a gt tou. But it has ur body style with the "challenger kind of grill" which btw is the one that i like the most... Im kind of in between that one and the 2013 but i like the 2012 cuz i looks more retro

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT