Cat Delete installation - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-07-2012, 10:50 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Cat Delete installation

So, what is the trick in getting the bolt off on the passenger side cat. that has a inch of room to work with? I got the driver side one off but no way in hell can i even get to this one? Any suggestions? Im tryin to install my JBA H-pipe and i am hating my life right now....

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

oh yeah, yet another exhaust related thread, lol
2013_stang_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2012, 10:58 PM   #2
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_stang_gt View Post
So, what is the trick in getting the bolt off on the passenger side cat. that has a inch of room to work with? I got the driver side one off but no way in hell can i even get to this one? Any suggestions? Im tryin to install my JBA H-pipe and i am hating my life right now....

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

oh yeah, yet another exhaust related thread, lol
Can you snap a pic?
Old 09-07-2012, 11:15 PM   #3
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
About 2' of extensions and go from the top of motor... Wayyyyyyyy easier

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2012, 01:22 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Re: Cat Delete installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
About 2' of extensions and go from the top of motor... Wayyyyyyyy easier
That's how I did it. Two 18" extensions, a flex joint, and a hell of a lot of elbow grease to transfer the torque through all those parts. I seriously don't think you can get it from under the car.

---------- Post added at 02:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 AM ----------

Oh, and I posted this in a write-up about a year ago
Old 09-08-2012, 04:58 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Nice race red!
Old 09-08-2012, 06:06 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

You need at least 20 to 30 inches of extension and a "15mm swivel socket".Spray some ZEP or something as well before even trying.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

thnx, the extensions along with breaker bar helped by going from top, however now i have stripped thread on driver side original cat and the bolt has maybe five to six full turns before it comes off. So once again im stuck. Theres no clearance to break out my metal grinder. Any suggestions. Thnx all

---------- Post added at 09:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

That's how I did it. Two 18" extensions, a flex joint, and a hell of a lot of elbow grease to transfer the torque through all those parts. I seriously don't think you can get it from under the car.

---------- Post added at 02:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 AM ----------

Oh, and I posted this in a write-up about a year ago
wheres that right up you did so i can check it out and save myself from all this pain? thnx
Old 09-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

If dealing with drivers side you need to be on lift for easy access.You will have to use pulling down while backing it off or small or large flathead to get pressure under nut to walk it off.That or get mean with it.....LOL......If you have the other off and the passenger side free that way you can use some pressure.Be careful not to damage the 2 gaskets in between
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
Old 09-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky

Quote:
thnx, the extensions along with breaker bar helped by going from top, however now i have stripped thread on driver side original cat and the bolt has maybe five to six full turns before it comes off. So once again im stuck. Theres no clearance to break out my metal grinder. Any suggestions. Thnx all

---------- Post added at 09:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

wheres that right up you did so i can check it out and save myself from all this pain? thnx
If the head is stripped try vice grips or a socket designed for stipped heads, if the threading is stripped, drill out the bolt

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

It's a stud.You could knock it out after you get it off without fear of damage.When or if you ever use cats again just replace with bolt,washers, lock washer and nut of decent material and quality
Old 09-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

i bought the stripped bolt grip socket and it worked wonders, however i cant get a drill in the space to drill it out or a hammer to tap the stud out.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

If you got the nuts off you should be free to do whatever......Confused on whats the problem now.You got the cat(s) on a bench now?
Old 09-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Here you go:
Off-road x-pipe install notes and video

You have the worst of it figured out at this point, and much of the later stuff is specific to the UPR x-pipe. What midpipe did you go with?
Old 09-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Thnx, im going with the JBA H-pipe with cat deletes and reusing the stock mid-pipes. Just bought a torch, bolt cutters, and a pry bar so im going to give that a shot. thnx for the write up.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

so, im still trying to get this m-fu***** nut off. torch doesnt help, bolt cutters wont clear, and my 300$ drill is not helping

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_stang_gt
so, im still trying to get this m-fu***** nut off. torch doesnt help, bolt cutters wont clear, and my 300$ drill is not helping
i think my only other option is removing that header, then taking the damn thing off
Old 09-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Just a thought, but you could take it to a shop..?
Old 09-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #17
Road Trip!

what about a nut splitter. it will split the nut in half. and you can pick this upmat autozone cheaply.

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

p.s. im not sure if thats the actual name.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

plasma cutter or torch but put stuff around things of concern.Where you located man.I got a tool truck in my driveway.I'm a mobile tool man......like snap-on,mac,matco,cornwell.They make a nut splitter but are about thing of the past.Independent distributor.I know I could fix tou up.Is the Hex of the nut ok?? I'm sure you are talking stud threads bad.I had a issue with how my passenger far passenger side looked after taking them off.When I put them back on I fixed my problem.

I see that you are in Texas.....Get you a air saw and new blades.Will work if you buy right one!!!!

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

If it's the hex the best type are reverse threaded socket that slowly tapers.Not the type typically seen like Irwin and many others make looking like multiple bevel swoops. Grey pneumatic makes the heat.Pricey if you buy set but a loose one probably still cost 25-35 dollars. ( I go take a pic of one and post if you want but if it's stud thread air saw is safe and will work.Post pic of one of those too if you need. IR makes good one. Sunex has one thats small less vibration too. Lots of them really
Old 09-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Damn man ... I'm sorry to hear you're having such a rough time. I hope you get the bolt off and hopefully this isnt your daily driver.

I'm sure you'll be looking back on this and laughing once it's all over with.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
Damn man ... I'm sorry to hear you're having such a rough time. I hope you get the bolt off and hopefully this isnt your daily driver.

I'm sure you'll be looking back on this and laughing once it's all over with.
+1 I know he's had a long rough cussin day! Make a man go to drinking! LOL!
Old 09-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

For everyones help, thank you.... Dreamstang your nut splitter idea was the trick that now has my exhaust sounding like hell on wheels. Damn, all that sweat, tears and busted knuckles paid off. I still have some minor rattling noises that i will track down in the am, but the overall difference in horsepower is nice. Feels more powerful. Its alot more responsive, and the roush axlebacks sound awesome. Do i need a new tune with cat deletes an h-pipe? Im not throwing any cels so far. Ill post pics and video the sound in the morning! Thanks again guys
Old 09-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Quote:
For everyones help, thank you.... Dreamstang your nut splitter idea was the trick that now has my exhaust sounding like hell on wheels. Damn, all that sweat, tears and busted knuckles paid off. I still have some minor rattling noises that i will track down in the am, but the overall difference in horsepower is nice. Feels more powerful. Its alot more responsive, and the roush axlebacks sound awesome. Do i need a new tune with cat deletes an h-pipe? Im not throwing any cels so far. Ill post pics and video the sound in the morning! Thanks again guys
awsome. glad it worked.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
First, good stuff glad you got it done on your own! Second, everything I read says you need a tune for every little thing you do, and even if it does not require a tune it will be twice as good a mod with a tune!
Old 09-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea ur tuner should send u an update that turns the downstream o2 sensors off.
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Jetag93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

thnx, ill order another tune monday

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT