Black GT500 Axlebacks - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Black GT500 Axlebacks

I picked up some flat black vht from the parts store and painted my GT500s in preparation for the install. I think this is going to look pretty sweet. I didn't worry about the top/back since you aren't going to see it, just wanted the blacked out look from the back.

Before:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2894326347.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	530.2 KB
ID:	68089

Name:	image-1397986320.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	546.0 KB
ID:	68090

After:

Name:	image-500285417.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	430.8 KB
ID:	68091

Name:	image-2788489688.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	438.9 KB
ID:	68092

I'll post up some pics of then installed once it's done.
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Re: Black GT500 Axlebacks

AHHH..... gonna quiet that thing down, yet still have the power!! I hear ya!! I thought about it too.Mine was insane race car loud as well. I have since pulled and sold stuff. I am just using my Borla catback with the catted X and the 93-R tune.Actually like it for now.I did away with cam tune after trying 3 different up-dates.Just to many drivability issues like the idle.Especially with A/C on, then off, then on.I liked the sound but glad I am back to stock air-box club....LOL. No hesitations at all. Even when its been on a cold sit.I am back to appearance work.I did order FRRP-K springs today with GT 500 strut mounts.Got pretty good deal.All new and should be here Friday.MGW is only mod performance I plan to do soon.Rest is on Exterior of car.I am going FI but not way out there.Probably Roush SC and just be happy. Let me know how much you like the tone down with those.I would have painted too. Looks good.I'll post some pics when I drop this thing.Got to order a PH bar if guy buys wheels here 2moro(the Brembo's). Post a vid of those 500's man.Leave up the old vid to compare too. When you slapping them on??
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Can't wait to see what it looks like on, I've been debating doing this myself.
Mandy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 10:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang
AHHH..... gonna quiet that thing down, yet still have the power!! I hear ya!! I thought about it too.Mine was insane race car loud as well. I have since pulled and sold stuff. I am just using my Borla catback with the catted X and the 93-R tune.Actually like it for now.I did away with cam tune after trying 3 different up-dates.Just to many drivability issues like the idle.Especially with A/C on, then off, then on.I liked the sound but glad I am back to stock air-box club....LOL. No hesitations at all. Even when its been on a cold sit.I am back to appearance work.I did order FRRP-K springs today with GT 500 strut mounts.Got pretty good deal.All new and should be here Friday.MGW is only mod performance I plan to do soon.Rest is on Exterior of car.I am going FI but not way out there.Probably Roush SC and just be happy. Let me know how much you like the tone down with those.I would have painted too. Looks good.I'll post some pics when I drop this thing.Got to order a PH bar if guy buys wheels here 2moro(the Brembo's). Post a vid of those 500's man.Leave up the old vid to compare too. When you slapping them on??

Yeah it was pissing of the neighbors and getting the cops called every time I went on a "spirited drive." I loved the way the offroad x and roush sounded, it was just too intense and I live in a pretty dense area. I wasn't willing to give up the power from the offroad x, so this is a compromise.

I should be installing them tomorrow and will try to take/post a vid of the offroad x with the gt500s.

What struts did you get to go with the GT500 mounts? Koni Sports (yellows) with GT500 mounts are next on my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy4
Can't wait to see what it looks like on, I've been debating doing this myself.
I'll get a few before and after shots from the rear. I can't stand the look of big ugly mufflers showing through the valence. Looks like crap IMO. Hopefully they will blend in pretty well being flat black.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:08 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post

Yeah it was pissing of the neighbors and getting the cops called every time I went on a "spirited drive." I loved the way the offroad x and roush sounded, it was just too intense and I live in a pretty dense area. I wasn't willing to give up the power from the offroad x, so this is a compromise.

I should be installing them tomorrow and will try to take/post a vid of the offroad x with the gt500s.

What struts did you get to go with the GT500 mounts? Koni Sports (yellows) with GT500 mounts are next on my list.

I'll get a few before and after shots from the rear. I can't stand the look of big ugly mufflers showing through the valence. Looks like crap IMO. Hopefully they will blend in pretty well being flat black.
Agree.....do that.Like to hear.I bet it helps big time. Using a apple laptop this morning and not use to this thing. Screwing it all up....LOL

---------- Post added at 08:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang View Post
Agree.....do that.Like to hear.I bet it helps big time. Using a apple laptop this morning and not use to this thing. Screwing it all up....LOL
Back at a dell desk top.Fixed the mess I made with that apple laptop.I realize what I did.Don't know if you got to read all of it before I fixed it ,but it's fixed now.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Install is postponed to sat due to me succumbing to the biological warfare that's been going on in my office.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #7
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85
Install is postponed to sat due to me succumbing to the biological warfare that's been going on in my office.
Agh sucks man hope you get better soon

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California

My Corsa cans are little smaller, but I painted them with a high temp paint.

'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:42 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV
That's awesome, exactly what I'm going for. The VHT paint I used has a curing process that needs to be done, did you do this on yours? How's the point holding up?
Old 09-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV
Where did you paint your rear diffuser?
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada

I painted mine using BBQ paint. Cheap, durable, will withstand any heat that muffler's gonna see. It looked lame with the muffler flats visible steel, in my view, especially projecting forward a year or two as road grime and corrosion build up.

the 500s are perfect for me, alone. Just enough bark for fun without any annoyances or too much attention-grabbing racket.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:38 AM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
That's awesome, exactly what I'm going for. The VHT paint I used has a curing process that needs to be done, did you do this on yours? How's the point holding up?
Just used a high temp flat black paint. It's holding up great so far.

---------- Post added at 01:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post
Where did you paint your rear diffuser?
In my driveway. Just taped it off, sanded it, primered it, then painted it.
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:11 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Got em installed today, no pics due a long series of unfortunate events that include finding out my rechargeable batteries aren't holding a charge, my back up alkaline batteries that were "guaranteed until dec2017" are dead out of the box, and gt/cs valence install gone horribly wrong and leaving me with no fog lights at all.

Maybe tomorrow will be better and I'll be able to get pics and video.

---------- Post added 09-16-2012 at 12:11 AM ---------- Previous post was 09-15-2012 at 11:57 PM ----------

I do have a video. Warm start, no laughing about me almost reversing off the ramps! (insert rant about stock shifter and stupid mt82)

Old 09-15-2012, 11:15 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
How are your first impressions of them vs prev setup?
I like mine w/ o-r mid pipe...wish it has more of a "tuned" sound but overall pleased for the price. I wish we could get a borla catted mid pipe sound from an AB w/ o-r mid...
Old 09-15-2012, 11:53 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodga16 View Post
How are your first impressions of them vs prev setup?
I like mine w/ o-r mid pipe...wish it has more of a "tuned" sound but overall pleased for the price. I wish we could get a borla catted mid pipe sound from an AB w/ o-r mid...
I like it a lot. Much more tame than the roush, but still really loud when you're on it.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:34 AM   #16
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

That almost make me miss them, sounds great brother

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 09-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
That almost make me miss them, sounds great brother
I'm really happy with them, thanks for the hook up. I'm gonna make some people **** their pants who think they can take me from a light, these things ate very tame at idle.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I am currently running the UPR OR X with roush and love them, thing sounds like a race car at full throttle, which do you prefer?
Jukens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:02 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukens
I am currently running the UPR OR X with roush and love them, thing sounds like a race car at full throttle, which do you prefer?
Personally I loved the roush with offroad x. It sounded amazing, but it was just attracting too much attention. I found myself constantly staying out of the throttle and short shifting just to keep a low profile, so I love that I can actually drive the car with the gt500s.

I snapped some iPhone pics today. The camera battery situation still hasn't been resolved lol.

Name:	image-680467381.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	471.9 KB
ID:	68750

Name:	image-3842390303.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	421.3 KB
ID:	68751
Old 09-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #20
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

Sounds really good,not to loud at all but still mean and throaty. Im bout to throw on these ARH LTs and OR X (which have been sitting in the garage for 2 months) next month. Might be ditching the Roush axelbacks for some GT500s after the install,depending on how loud it is.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
Sounds really good,not to loud at all but still mean and throaty. Im bout to throw on these ARH LTs and OR X (which have been sitting in the garage for 2 months) next month. Might be ditching the Roush axelbacks for some GT500s after the install,depending on how loud it is.
Thanks! That is going to be SO loud...
Old 09-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds good Napoleon....by the way thanks for the hook-up at Fattboyz! My Roushs sound great and they did a great job on the tint!

Gripping the wheel, his knuckles went white with desire! The wheels of his Mustang exploding on the highway like a slug from a .45. True death: 400 horsepower of maximum performance piercing the night...This is Black Sunshine-White Zombie
13BlkSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13BlkSunshine
Sounds good Napoleon....by the way thanks for the hook-up at Fattboyz! My Roushs sound great and they did a great job on the tint!
Awesome!
Old 09-18-2012, 10:37 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
I have the jbl longtubes and the jbl off road h pipe and just put on the gt500's and its very loud but has a VERY nice rumble, I love it.
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

It sounds sick bro!
Hbjatt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #26
Regular
Supporter

Just picked up a Boss intake this afternoon to add to the mix.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Nice!!
Hbjatt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #28
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
Not holding out for the CJ I see

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 09-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbjatt13 View Post
It sounds sick bro!
Thanks!

Quote:
Nice! Get a good deal on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Not holding out for the CJ I see
I don't think anyone is after seeing how much it was gonna be with the TB and all... a blower would be money better spent IMO, and that thing is damn near half way to a Paxton!
Old 09-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #30
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Thanks!

Nice! Get a good deal on it?

I don't think anyone is after seeing how much it was gonna be with the TB and all... a blower would be money better spent IMO, and that thing is damn near half way to a Paxton!
$300,originally $400
Old 09-18-2012, 08:34 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
$300,originally $400
That's a great deal. They're selling new for over $700 on most the sites now!
Old 09-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #32
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
That's a great deal. They're selling new for over $700 on most the sites now!
I have a little trick up my sleeve before it goes on.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:05 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have a little trick up my sleeve before it goes on.
Sounds like someone is doing a stealth nitrous install
Old 09-21-2012, 11:41 PM   #34
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Sounds like someone is doing a stealth nitrous install
Nope,it's a cosmetic thing. Just got it today so time to get started.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:44 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Love the look of them gt500's, I think I am going to black ine out as well

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT