HELP- Continuous Brake Issue/Squeak on 2010GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #1

Region: Maine
HELP- Continuous Brake Issue/Squeak on 2010GT

I am looking for any sort of guidance or feedback on a constant brake issue I have had with my 2010 Mustang GT. I purchased the vehicle back in 12/2010, new. By 2/2011 I started noticing a squeaking sound when I would lightly apply the brakes. It is most prevalent when the brakes are applied more lightly then hard. Also, from time to time, just after the brakes are applied and you are driving at low speeds there is squeaking occurring (without applying the brakes), as if the brakes are still applied and rubbing (same squeak that you hear when lightly applying the brakes). When I brought the vehicle in the dealership could not find an issue. Fine. As the weeks progressed the squeaking became more frequent and louder. Now begins the ongoing cycle of having work done to the brakes:

-4/2010: Rear Pads were replaced. Noise went away.
-Noise returned.
-3/2011: Technician cleaned caliper/slides of left rear brake system. Noise went away.
-Noise returned again.
- 8/2011: Found the rear rotors to be warped. Unsure of what work was completed.
- 10/2011: Replaced front and rear brake pads and machined rotors. Noise went away.
-Noise returned once again.
-2/2012: Replaced rear pads, parking brake cables and rotors. Noise went away.
- As of 8/2012 the squeaking noise from the brakes has returned.

All the work above was completed at a dealership in Maryland. I have since moved to Maine. I brought the car in to a new dealership to set up an appointment and explained the noise issue. The service department evaluated the service log that was completed on my car and summarized that the brake pads have been replaced twice as well as the rotors twice. They also stated that the warranty for the brakes is no more (expires at 18K and my car has 23K). They ALSO stated that the previous dealership should have called in a FORD field tech/engineer to evaluate the problem, which I don't recall them doing nor is there any paper work documenting this. This new dealership tells me all they can do is evaluate the problem and go from there. They are not allowed to call a FORD tech/engineer into the situation because it is only their first time looking into this, even though this is the fifth time I have brought the car in for work and it has been ongoing for 2+ years.

Summary: I paid good money for this car that hasn't worked properly two months after I bought it! Any one have ideas on what my options are? More importantly, WHAT IS THE ON GOING PROBLEM? What else could/should they be looking for that is causing this problem? I appreciate any sort of feedback. Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Re: HELP- Continuous Brake Issue/Squeak on 2010GT

Since the new dealership is going to give everything a thorough checking anyway, have them confirm that the axles/axle flanges are not bent.
12gtpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
How did you replace the pads 8 months b4 you bought the car? You said bought it 12/2010, and replaced the pads 04-2010?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #4

Ok, thanks for the insight!

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11stangGT View Post
How did you replace the pads 8 months b4 you bought the car? You said bought it 12/2010, and replaced the pads 04-2010?
Good point. I was reading off of my service summary sheet and looked at the wrong info. The first replacement happened a few months after the 3/2011 cleaning of the calipers and a few months before the rear rotor issue in 8/2011.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
My 2011 gt does it also. Seems to happen on light brake peddle only. I don't hear but every time wife is in car she says something to me. I never brought it up when tires were rotated at dealer. Brakes have even wear. As long as there is no wheel shudder from warped rotors Im not going to worry about it
mongo1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

2 things come to mind or more. First are you sure car has never been wrecked.Car fax does not always get that.Depends on damage and how whoever went about fixing. Second, Have they ever replaced with new rotors brake pads all in one visit? They don't won't to but that plus new calipers would tell you alot. All done at same time would reveal alot. Was the dealership you had all these attempts the same as where you bought it ?? For sure go to another. They may know more than they revealed at time of sell. Car has no ill effects when driving or at high speeds? Tire where perfect? For this to be front and back I think something is bent.You examine the entire underneath of car? Do you have aftermarket rims on? Or ever Had them on? There are a couple retaining washers on the studs from factory (not sure on 10 model or package you have) These washers are normal and fine if you are in fact on OEM wheels. Recessed area on back of rim to compensate.On aftermarket wheels most do not have a recess and are flush. People put on new Rims not thinking......even a shop goffer will..... and Bam you are starting a issue.
After reading your post again you said you bought it new.So never titled. But how many miles was on it when you bought it?
Also have you done some high speed hard fast stops without locking up but I mean all but a skid......That can help brake-in.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang View Post
2 things come to mind or more. First are you sure car has never been wrecked.Car fax does not always get that.Depends on damage and how whoever went about fixing. Second, Have they ever replaced with new rotors brake pads all in one visit? They don't won't to but that plus new calipers would tell you alot. All done at same time would reveal alot. Was the dealership you had all these attempts the same as where you bought it ?? For sure go to another. They may know more than they revealed at time of sell. Car has no ill effects when driving or at high speeds? Tire where perfect? For this to be front and back I think something is bent.You examine the entire underneath of car? Do you have aftermarket rims on? Or ever Had them on? There are a couple retaining washers on the studs from factory (not sure on 10 model or package you have) These washers are normal and fine if you are in fact on OEM wheels. Recessed area on back of rim to compensate.On aftermarket wheels most do not have a recess and are flush. People put on new Rims not thinking......even a shop goffer will..... and Bam you are starting a issue.
After reading your post again you said you bought it new.So never titled. But how many miles was on it when you bought it?
Also have you done some high speed hard fast stops without locking up but I mean all but a skid......That can help brake-in.
Thanks for the response. Car was bought new (12 miles on it) from a FORD dealer, so I am certain there is no major problem prior to purchase. Car is all stock (tires/rims included) other than an exhaust and tune. One time I brought the car in they tried to tell me it was the exhaust making the noise and they tightened it up. Problem continued as soon as I drove it off the service lot. Car drives perfect on the highway, no issues to this date. All the service I had done on the car was not at the dealership where I bought it. I bought the car 40+ miles away at any FORD dealer. But tomorrow I will be taking it to another dealer her in NH (second place to look at the car). I checked my service records and from what I could tell they replaced the pads, rotors and parking brake cable ALL together this past February. Is there such thing as over usage of a parking brake? They said that was what was causing the squeak the last time. I use mine all the time because I drive a MT but could that be the issue?

As for the hard braking, no, not deliberately to brake them in. I tend to do a lot of down shifting and not a lot of hard braking.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

I don't know man. I have a MT and I rarely use my e-brake. I don,t park on steep inclines much.If so I would But on average parking I just leave in 1st. Not to sure of that explanation they are giving you anyway. Are you certain the sounds you hear are from the brakes?? They make a tool that varies in quality and bit pricey called chassis ears. I sell them occasionally but not something everybody will have at a shop for sure. The dealer should have some or a serious about his job tool whore tech. Hope this gets resolved for good man.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #9

Region: South Carolina
Mine Too

I registered for the forums because of this thread.

I have a 10 GT as well. Put Brembo big brakes on the front (GT500 takeoffs), and still have stock pads/rotors on the back. I noticed exactly what you guys are talking about, squeals like a wear indicator when you lightly touch the brakes. My mileage was low (21k) for them to have gone, but didn't think much of it... I figured the aggressive drives on Tail of the Dragon did them in . I ordered new pads and rotors.

As I got into changing them today, I noticed there's a LOT of meat left on the pads, it couldn't possibly be the pads. As soon as I saw that, I searched to see if anyone else has seen this, and here I am...

I'll go ahead and put the fresh pads and rotors on, and see whether the noise comes back like it did for you.

Any updates from your side?
antnee10GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee10GT

I have a 10 GT as well. Put Brembo big brakes on the front (GT500 takeoffs), and still have stock pads/rotors on the back. I noticed exactly what you guys are talking about, squeals like a wear indicator when you lightly touch the brakes. My mileage was low (21k) for them to have gone, but didn't think much of it... I figured the aggressive drives on Tail of the Dragon did them in . I ordered new pads and rotors.

As I got into changing them today, I noticed there's a LOT of meat left on the pads, it couldn't possibly be the pads. As soon as I saw that, I searched to see if anyone else has seen this, and here I am...

I'll go ahead and put the fresh pads and rotors on, and see whether the noise comes back like it did for you.

Sounds like the pad compound is your issue.. I know on the factory brembo cars 11+ they have a harder compound bc they are meant for the track.. They are meant to be ran at higher temps hence the harder compound or they would eat through pads much quicker.. A softer pad should resolve the noise but your pads won't last as long.. I still have a TON of pad left on my brembo car and just topped 20k..
Old 10-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee10GT

Here is my update:

1. Dealer noted a caliper pin that was installed that was the incorrect size. This pin was causing an additional squeak noise. That incorrect pin was installed by the last dealer who was also trying to resolve the brake issue. The pin was replaced.
2. They replaced the brake pads as well, as they noted excessive "metal shavings" on the pad that could have been causing the problem.

As of now all brake noise is gone. Since this is now the third time the pads have been replaced all I can think is that I am receiving faculty pads/product each time they are installed. I have no other explanation at this point (and I think the dealer is in agreement).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT