Suspension question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Suspension question

Ok I've read through a lot of threads on this topic, so I'm sorry that my question will seem redundant, yet the more I read the more confused I seem to get (I confess I can be a bit of a blockhead sometimes lol)...
I am the proud owner of a new '13 GT premium which is my dd and will probably never see the track. I'm looking at upgrading to a set of TSW Nurburgring wheels (not sure yet if 18's or 20's), and from what most ppl are saying, the car would look a lot better if it was dropped a bit, so I'm thinking 1.5" or so should be good.
Like most people I have a limited budget, and the drop is mostly for cosmetic reasons. Question: should I simply go with a set of quality springs, or do I need to also install a panhard bar, camber plates, upgraded struts, etc? I've read some posts mentioning creaking noises and other problems when only installing new springs, so what would you guys (and gals) recommend?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Raf63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf63
Ok I've read through a lot of threads on this topic, so I'm sorry that my question will seem redundant, yet the more I read the more confused I seem to get (I confess I can be a bit of a blockhead sometimes lol)...
I am the proud owner of a new '13 GT premium which is my dd and will probably never see the track. I'm looking at upgrading to a set of TSW Nurburgring wheels (not sure yet if 18's or 20's), and from what most ppl are saying, the car would look a lot better if it was dropped a bit, so I'm thinking 1.5" or so should be good.
Like most people I have a limited budget, and the drop is mostly for cosmetic reasons. Question: should I simply go with a set of quality springs, or do I need to also install a panhard bar, camber plates, upgraded struts, etc? I've read some posts mentioning creaking noises and other problems when only installing new springs, so what would you guys (and gals) recommend?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
You will NEED the panhard bar to recenter the rear axle, and it will be off center. Get some decent spring, eibach, FRPP, Steeda, BMR to name a few. I would recommend camber bolts or plates witht that much of a drop to correct camber. Now dampers are. Of mandatory but recommended.

As far as creaking, just try to ensure everything is tightened when putting it back together

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Re: Suspension question

What he said. Plan on about 2k to do it right.
2011 5.0 Steeda sway bars, panhard, shocks, struts, springs, camber adj, Bump steer kit, Steeda Spyder wheels, Toyo Proxes, AirRaid, SCT, Roush mufflers, JBA X-Pipe and cat del, Boss 302 intake, Baer 6p front and rear with drilled/slotted rotors.
ducatibrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

Lowering your car any bit will throw the alignment off due to downward stresses pushing out suspension components somewhat. But indeed you will need a panhard bar and camber plates to my knowledge as stated above by the other members post.

Those two components are essential to help realign your suspension so you don't wear down your tires prematurely, or cause to swerve due to uneven paving in the road (I know from personal experience not very fun, quite scary). I do believe you will need Lower Control Arms, to help fine tune the rear end because pitching of the tires due to lowering the car.
draxxus131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:13 AM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California

He doesn't need new LCA's, but I agree with everything else.
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:04 AM   #6
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV
He doesn't need new LCA's, but I agree with everything else.
Need... No, but in order to adjust the pinion angle he is gonna have to do that eventually. I still need to do that lol

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT