Vertical doors: Pros and Cons - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Vertical doors: Pros and Cons

just purchased vertical door bolt on kits for my gt for the simple fact that parking spaces have gotten smaller and our doors are rediculously long. I struggle every morning trying to get in my car while in the garage. I just wanted to know your thoughts or experiences with them...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_stang_gt
just purchased vertical door bolt on kits for my gt for the simple fact that parking spaces have gotten smaller and our doors are rediculously long. I struggle every morning trying to get in my car while in the garage. I just wanted to know your thoughts or experiences with them...
I like the idea. But I have a feeling most won't like it. I am considering the same thing for the same reason. What kit did you get?
Old 09-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

2005-2013 Mustang VERTICAL DOOR KIT system (Direct Bolt on)
(05MSTVERT-DOOR) = $849.99

from www.mrbodykit.com

Im big in muscle cars, and i too think vertical doors are a step in the wrong direction but considering all other factors i want them and need them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 10:08 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Get a good solid kit and get them professionally installed!.. I know a couple of guys with them on their cars!.. One got a cheap kit and did the work himself!.. The other got a better kit and took it to a shop!.. The first guy is currently having his redone at a shop!..
Old 09-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
My thoughts...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120914_101401.png
Views:	1265
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	68492  
Old 09-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
The biggest con that I can think of is that it's absolutely disgusting. It's your car, and you can do what you want to it ... But most people around here aren't into ricer-like mods such as Lambo doors or huge wings.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:24 AM   #7
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Yeah, pay out the *** and get it done by a shop that'll back their work.

I've seen some kits that allow you to open your door normally and you could also open them vertically. I think that would be the best thing.

No, scratch that. This would be the best thing!
Old 09-14-2012, 10:25 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh2death
My thoughts...
lol, i'll just stay in the car more often.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
I know it's your car and you have your reasons. It's an embarrassing thing to do to anything but a Lamborghini. It's like Putting mud tires on a muscle car. But the simple fact is. It's your life do want makes you happy. I'm just trying to save a mustang.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

The idea is super cool but since little ricers have done the same and also in the fast and furious movies have played it out. They look cool specially since our cars have such a big door, but like i said people associate them to ricers.
Go for it and do it, post some pics.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen
The idea is super cool but since little ricers have done the same and also in the fast and furious movies have played it out. They look cool specially since our cars have such a big door, but like i said people associate them to ricers.
Go for it and do it, post some pics.
Exactly
Old 09-14-2012, 01:11 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
In a vacuum, cool, but its got that stigma. I still say do it. Wont get any krap from me. Those disappearing doors, though, wow! Would probably cost ad much as my car, though.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I think it's a great idea! Not to mention if someone ever tries to accuse you of hitting their car with your door the look on there face will be priceless lol
Old 09-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Looks wise it's a love hate kind of thing for me!.. Stay true to its Muscle Car lines and the Lambo doors can be a nice and neat surprise!.. In that case I like it!.. Its the ones that do it and also have some ricer crap body kit that i hate!.. And yes please post pics when it's done!..
Old 09-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Vertical doors: Pros and Cons

Not a fan but all that matters is if you like em.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks, im not a fan of body kits, and this will be my only exterior modification, besides quarter louvers, which is being shipped with door kit. i will definately post picks of process and finished product.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

Subscribed
Old 09-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone

I've seen some kits that allow you to open your door normally and you could also open them vertically. I think that would be the best thing.

Dude that is too sick. I want one jaja. Only thing is it would suck when its raining

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

Great idea, but me personally I would just tough it out.
{Never Enough HP}
Old 09-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:

+1000
Old 09-14-2012, 04:44 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That is great! Lmfao
Old 09-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

Awesome!
Old 09-14-2012, 07:56 PM   #22
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

My buddy has vertical doors on his mustang.Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3269639667.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	68544Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2244695390.jpg
Views:	3209
Size:	258.6 KB
ID:	68545I repainted it to better suite his personality. Lmao.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:45 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My buddy has vertical doors on his mustang.I repainted it to better suite his personality. Lmao.
Uuuuuggghhhh
Old 09-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina

Man please don't insult your sweet car like that.Call and stop payment! Not trying to be a *** about it but so not cool no matter what reason.I'd rather have to crawl thru the window than have that pop up on my mustang. JMO.....If it's what you want go for it.For that price I would be very leary of the quality doors and fitment you get.One OEM door would cost that I bet.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
Old 09-15-2012, 08:41 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Go for it..I want to see pics.

2012 kona blue gt, GT500 exhaust, tinted windows, J&M Panhard bar, Steeda Ultralites, Koni STR shocks and struts, GT500 strut mounts, SR Performance shifter, Steeda Shifter Bracket, 20" Giovanna Monzas..damn I need more money!!
Old 09-15-2012, 08:44 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner
Looks wise it's a love hate kind of thing for me!.. Stay true to its Muscle Car lines and the Lambo doors can be a nice and neat surprise!.. In that case I like it!.. Its the ones that do it and also have some ricer crap body kit that i hate!.. And yes please post pics when it's done!..
I think it's time we call it for what it is... Mustangs stopped being 'Muscle Cars' when creature comforts like heated seats, nav, automatic texts with voice over etc became more important then the car weighing two tons...

In 95 they stopped selling the GTS.. Last stang in standard form. No abs, roll up windows etc etc.. From then on they became 'Sports Cars' and in 'Sports Car' land it's open season on mods, meaning it's not 'Rice' or 'Muscle' it a mod. If you like it fair game and if someone else does not.. It's fine because it's not theirs and your advice has been the best. Pay a reputable shop to do it and post pics
Old 09-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

I think it's time we call it for what it is... Mustangs stopped being 'Muscle Cars' when creature comforts like heated seats, nav, automatic texts with voice over etc became more important then the car weighing two tons...

In 95 they stopped selling the GTS.. Last stang in standard form. No abs, roll up windows etc etc.. From then on they became 'Sports Cars' and in 'Sports Car' land it's open season on mods, meaning it's not 'Rice' or 'Muscle' it a mod. If you like it fair game and if someone else does not.. It's fine because it's not theirs and your advice has been the best. Pay a reputable shop to do it and post pics
I'm hesitant to call the mustang a sports car. Until recently they didn't have the power to even be considered in that category, and the suspension is still laughable. Sure you can make or better easily, but with the weight of the car and stock suspension and tires, the Mustang will get smoked by most any sports car.

Well see if that still holds true in 2015 though... IRS and a rumored target weight of 3200lbs will make a big difference.

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 AM ----------

Also, I'm still gonna say that Lambo doors are ricey no matter what car they're put on, just like tacky body kits and huge park bench sized wings. The kind of car you put the mod on doesn't affect whether it's ricey or not IMO.

If the op likes that kind of styling, then he's free to do whatever he wants. The above is just my opinion on it.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

I'm hesitant to call the mustang a sports car. Until recently they didn't have the power to even be considered in that category, and the suspension is still laughable. Sure you can make or better easily, but with the weight of the car and stock suspension and tires, the Mustang will get smoked by most any sports car.

Well see if that still holds true in 2015 though... IRS and a rumored target weight of 3200lbs will make a big difference.

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 AM ----------

Also, I'm still gonna say that Lambo doors are ricey no matter what car they're put on, just like tacky body kits and huge park bench sized wings. The kind of car you put the mod on doesn't affect whether it's ricey or not IMO.

If the op likes that kind of styling, then he's free to do whatever he wants. The above is just my opinion on it.
I can conceded that to some extent but if not enough Hp to be sports then certainly not 'Muscle' as muscle men are stronger then the avg athlete right? Lol
Enough thread jacking from me lol
Old 09-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I can conceded that to some extent but if not enough Hp to be sports then certainly not 'Muscle' as muscle men are stronger then the avg athlete right? Lol
Enough thread jacking from me lol
I hear what you're saying, but to me "muscle cars" are about design more than power levels. I think the sn95 platform looked a lot more sporty than muscle, but the s197 platform is clearly designed to look and drive (stupid fast in a straight line) like a muscle car.

Just my 2c, and I'll stop thread jacking too lol.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well in my opinion at least!.. They only true sports car is the Corvette!.. Just is!.. The Challenger and Camaro right now are much closer to being true "Muscle Cars" due to their size and weight!.. With the Mustang still holding on to being the First and Only "Pony Car!.."

Edited by: deadsp0t
Old 09-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I understand where you come from. I'm not trying to go the direction or for the look everyone may think I am. Personally, I have never seen Lambo doors on any car in real life, just on movies. The pictures above of the white mustang with them are utterly disgusting. If my car turns out like that then, yes they will be removed asap. Some people debadge their mustangs, why?? I'm proud of my car, and I am very meticulous about what i do to it. I'm currently trying to convert it into a RS3. That's the end look I am going for. These doors would throw a sick twist into it and have people scratching their heads....
Old 09-15-2012, 09:50 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
I understand where you come from. I'm not trying to go the direction or for the look everyone may think I am. Personally, I have never seen Lambo doors on any car in real life, just on movies. The pictures above of the white mustang with them are utterly disgusting. If my car turns out like that then, yes they will be removed asap. Some people debadge their mustangs, why?? I'm proud of my car, and I am very meticulous about what i do to it. I'm currently trying to convert it into a RS3. That's the end look I am going for. These doors would throw a sick twist into it and have people scratching their heads....
I think you have everyone's opinion and have stated yours, so before this gets out of hand I'm going to be pro active and lock this thread until you(the OP) are ready to post pictures and I will open this back up. If you have any questions feel free to pm me. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT