Are Cut Outs the Same as Open Headers? Question follows.. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Are Cut Outs the Same as Open Headers? Question follows..

So first are they going to produce the same sound? If not, what type of difference? Then is it possible to run cutouts with being able to switch between that and an Axleback? Let me know what you guys think and then also other oppinoins for setups. It's for a 13' GT.
tgmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Re: Are Cut Outs the Same as Open Headers? Question follows..

Umm... not really sure what your question is. I do know that electronic cutouts can be opened and closed at will. when it's open it's pretty much straight headers and when it's closed it's just like any other exhaust... if you're gonna run a full exhaust I don't think you should even mess with cutouts...

or are you referring to the boss side exhaust?

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I was thinking of adding electronic cutouts with the stock mufflers, mostly due to the community I live in with noise restriction. Being able to flip a switch, for open (after cat) exhaust, and then back to stealth mode sounds appealing. My worry is with heat/electronics/mechanical valve malfunctions.
Anyone put on such a system?
I wish I had the boss cutouts, but that is a whole other discussion
MedxGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

What I want to do is run cutouts and then run an axlebacks as well. The cutouts would just come out somewhere underneath and the Axlebacks would be normal. So I could have ridiculously loud when I want and then good tone for my regular driving. I don't want to install a side exhaust.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

It wouldn't really sound the same... I don't personally think that open headers sound good on this car, that just my .02

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 09-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
It depends where you put the cutouts, if you put them right after the headers it's like running open headers, if there right before the muffler it's like a muffler delete
Mustang936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang936 View Post
It depends where you put the cutouts, if you put them right after the headers it's like running open headers, if there right before the muffler it's like a muffler delete
I get what you're saying but not really, I've started my car with no mufflers but still had the rest of the exhaust and it sounded horrible

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 09-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Dakota
Yeah while doing my off road h pipe I started it just for fun and even with the ghost cam it sounded pretty bad and I like my cars loud but do what you want and if you don't like the cutout how it sounds just add a small flow though muffler
Mweigt07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

How would I be able to make cutouts sound good? My question hasn't been answered yet either. Is it possible to run cutouts and an Axleback?
Old 09-14-2012, 08:29 PM   #10
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmeyer View Post
How would I be able to make cutouts sound good? My question hasn't been answered yet either. Is it possible to run cutouts and an Axleback?
Didn't know if that was a serious question... why wouldn't you be able to run both? you don't have to take off the mufflers... the cutouts can be welded into pretty much any spot of your choice

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 09-14-2012, 08:42 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0

Didn't know if that was a serious question... why wouldn't you be able to run both? you don't have to take off the mufflers... the cutouts can be welded into pretty much any spot of your choice
I'm not exactly sure how a cutout is setup. Posts any helpful links or videos. I'm just completely clueless when it comes to cutouts, so I was curious for other people's knowledge.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #12
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

I've looked at thousands of videos on youtube and cannot remember ever coming across a 5.0 with cutouts... theres just too much awesomeness and choice with our exhaust, you can make it almost anything you want with it.

what I would do to find you a link is look on youtube and post it on here.............. no one in this forum in my 7 months on here has ever showed interest in them so I don't think anyone on here has them

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

not a mustang but you get the point

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 09-14-2012, 10:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
I've looked at thousands of videos on youtube and cannot remember ever coming across a 5.0 with cutouts... theres just too much awesomeness and choice with our exhaust, you can make it almost anything you want with it.

what I would do to find you a link is look on youtube and post it on here.............. no one in this forum in my 7 months on here has ever showed interest in them so I don't think anyone on here has them

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

not a mustang but you get the point
So when the cutouts are closed, does the exhaust route normally! Does the exhaust come out of the mufflers? Where exactly do you install cutouts as well?
Old 09-14-2012, 11:02 PM   #14
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmeyer

So when the cutouts are closed, does the exhaust route normally! Does the exhaust come out of the mufflers? Where exactly do you install cutouts as well?
Exhaust will flow normally with cutouts closed, it will still exit through the mufflers. The cutouts are typically welded in around the midpipe. Think of it as a y pipe that is welded in on one side and the other side just has that little door to open and close for a different exhaust tone.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 09-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah if the cutouts are closed then your exhaust will run and sound normal, if you have axelbacks they will give sound with the cutouts closed
Old 09-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Would I be able to weld the cutouts somewhere, where it'd sound like open headers? How do cutouts sound, if anyone has any personal experience..?
Old 09-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #17
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Here's a link that might help ya. It's a MAC axel back with the QTP cutouts.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #18
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Exhaust will flow normally with cutouts closed, it will still exit through the mufflers. The cutouts are typically welded in around the midpipe. Think of it as a y pipe that is welded in on one side and the other side just has that little door to open and close for a different exhaust tone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmeyer View Post
Would I be able to weld the cutouts somewhere, where it'd sound like open headers? How do cutouts sound, if anyone has any personal experience..?
around the mid pipe... if you have cats then you would have to do it before the cats, otherwise do it before midpipe

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 09-15-2012, 10:21 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Are the cutouts going to sound similar to this is if I weld it before the cats? I need the cats. My state requires emissions testing.. -_-

Old 09-15-2012, 11:21 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Weld them in before the cats and you will get the sound like open headers
Old 09-17-2012, 12:29 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

I had them on my previous japanese car, and they are to me the best exhaust sound option... U can close it whenever u have a headache or if theres cops around , or in the highway when you are driving to work at 7am , and u an open them whenever u feel like making noyse and stand out from the crow lol. Now on my lil 2.0 turbo the cutouts (i had qtp) were a major set back when it came to low end torque performance but they were great on high end , that was because little engines need backpressure to perform well. I was wondering how the coyote works around this since i wuld lve to keep my stock exhaust and just trow some qtp cut outs
Villero1834 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT