Engine bay cleaning - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Engine bay cleaning

So, took mine to a local car show and got a lot of looks and questions about the '13 GT

Was wondering, though...what products do you guys like to use to keep the underhood clean? Seems I've got a sticky, grease-like residue on most of the metal (mostly the strut towers), and waterspots n such on the plastic.

I was considering seeing if goo gone worked on the strut towers but I figured I'd better ask before spraying any chemicals into the engine bay.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Re: Engine bay cleaning

sub'd

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Wipe what you can get to down after each wash. And I use the armoral cleaning wipes on all surfaces and the the protectant wipes on any plastic or vinyl surfaces. Be sure to open and close the hood several times for this will cause leftover water to escape trapped places. It will never be showroom clean again because you can't get to some surfaces, especially the ones you can't even see. I get compliments on my engine bay all the time and it has almost 6k miles on it and it's my DD. Good luck!
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 02:07 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I Pressure wash with the tire an engine cleaner at the self wash car wash places. Let soak for a bit then pressure wash with just water. I leave my engine running while doing this. Then I get home and use a plastic polish I got from the shop I used I work at. Edit: Btw, 13500 miles. Arizona and texas driven.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2262545805.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	470.8 KB
ID:	68574  
2012Vader5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Not a fan of the pressure washer in the engine bay. A little bit to much water pressure for some on the components. And hot aluminum plus cold water is a huge no no. The easiest way to warp or crack the heads or the block. Bad idea.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa View Post
Not a fan of the pressure washer in the engine bay. A little bit to much water pressure for some on the components. And hot aluminum plus cold water is a huge no no. The easiest way to warp or crack the heads or the block. Bad idea.
Thats why keep the nozzle 2-3 feet away from making contact with anything and use the fan nozzle, keeping the engine running helps to keep the heat. Not any different than driving in the rain or snow, yes there is a possibility, thats why one doesnt drench the engine in water.

*just trying to explain my method, not aiming for a battle.
2012Vader5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

I clean the plastic as good as possible then I used ICE synthetic polish ... just wipes it on and let it dry, same as I do for the exterior plastic trim. Keeps shining for weeks, even under the hood. I have terrible luck with ICE on the pain (streaks) so I use paste carnuba ... but ICE is awesome on and and all black plastic that you want to shine.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:26 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I found that using Mothers Back to Black works nicely... it doesn't give that greasy glossy look that's a huge magnet for dirt and debris. Instead it gives a deep black looks that's clean and protected and not greasy looking
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
I found that using Mothers Back to Black works nicely... it doesn't give that greasy glossy look that's a huge magnet for dirt and debris. Instead it gives a deep black looks that's clean and protected and not greasy looking
Haven't used it - I'll have to try it.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87

Haven't used it - I'll have to try it.
Its for all the black mouldings and black ABS plastic... in case u get wax on it, it should get it off... I think Meguirs makes something like that too, I never tried it and I like all their products
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #11
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post

Its for all the black mouldings and black ABS plastic... in case u get wax on it, it should get it off... I think Meguirs makes something like that too, I never tried it and I like all their products
+1 Mothers back to blacks works great. Among other items I've used it on, it made my cowl look brand new...
Old 09-15-2012, 11:09 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Do it yourself car wash. Leave engine running, give yourself some distance and finish off with spot free rinse.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:22 AM   #13
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDemon View Post
Do it yourself car wash. Leave engine running, give yourself some distance and finish off with spot free rinse.
Ooooo, that's not my cup of tea. Too many connects to get wet. Your asking for some pain.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:39 PM   #14
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

Best way to keep her clean is stay on top of it all the time. Treat the engine bay just like the paint and it will stay looking brand new.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

It's a nice day out today, might head to o'reilly-zone to see about some engine degreaser or something and experiment to see what works.

The vinyl trim idea is a good one, never occurred to me that the plastic inside the bay was the same as the plastic on the outside - duh.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #16
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
the technique I use:

Step 1. Make sure the engine is ice cold before starting.

You want it cool since there is a slight possibility that you can crack the engine block by throwing cold water on it.

Step 2. Cover fuse box, battery, distributor cap, air intake, and I cover the alternator as well. Plastic bags work well

Step 3. I spray the entire bay with simple green or all purpose cleaner and then lightly brush with a soft brush or old rag.

Step 4. Lightly rinse, I hold the hose at an angle off to the side, keeping the nozzle on the lowest setting.

Step 5. Pull the covers off the covered areas it's ok if a little water splashes off and onto those things were trying to avoid a lot of water.

Step 6. Dry the bay with an old cloth or compressed air makes a quick job of this. Or a leaf blower

Step 7. I start it and let it idol a couple of minutes to dry anything else up.

There maybe some steam around the hood area. When I turn it off, I wipe the steam up and any more water in that area.

Step 8. I use SprayWay instant shine to shine up all belts, hoses,covers etc.. It also doesn't make your hands feeling like you need to dip them in a bucket of degreaser.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:15 AM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California

Good info, thanks.
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #18
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
No problem

Here is after Sprayway it's one of the products I've found since so many others just attract dust etc.

http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...-532058745.jpg
Old 09-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

dont use greasy crap like Armor All etc it just makes dust stick etc and looks bad.

If its a newer car which it is then you should just need some plastic protectant like meguiars interior detailer (no shine) and some thing for the paint and powdercoated stuff (meguiars exterior detailer etc) and for the metal you can use something that will seal it to prevent rust and then just a normal cleaner.

The key is regular clearning (like every time you clean the exterior pop the hood and go over it)
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT