Just bought a 2011 GT, has seizures when drifting at low speeds :-( - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #1

Region: Kentucky
Just bought a 2011 GT, has seizures when drifting at low speeds :-(

Hey everyone, ive been a member of the forums for about a month now and last week I got a 2011 GT M6 premium in Kona Blue. I love it. HID and GT500 AB's should be here tomorrow.

The previous mustang was a 1994 GT Saleen replica, so this was a slight upgrade. Im 25 years old and recently moved to the Lexington, KY area. I really don't mess around in the car very much, the only thing that I've always enjoyed was drifting around corners at like 20mph when it was raining because I didn't feel guilty about eating the tires or having the car jolt back into traction. Well it rained in Lexington today, and I took the traction control off to play a little bit and the car seems to really start hopping unless I really get into the rpms. With the 94', it was incredibly smooth when I broke and regained traction. I just didn't know if this was because the computers on the new car can not be truly turned off, or if different tires other than the stock perelli's will be smoother, or I just don't know how to drive the new car. And worst case scenario...if my car is the only one that acts like this.

Thanks everyone, I look forward to being an active member.

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1577618985.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	444.6 KB
ID:	68934   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1613948656.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	470.9 KB
ID:	68935  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-752341750.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	636.7 KB
ID:	68936  
Alexl.Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Sounds like traction control kicking in. Do you turn off TC before you try to slide?
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Try turning stability control off. Hold down traction control button for 5 secs with foot on brake and stopped.
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Jetag93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #4

Yes, and it registers on the dash that it has been taken off. But the seizering feels very similar when starting to slide (before the TC kicks in) with or without it on. The only difference is when it's off, I can actually get into an rpm band where it smooths out.

I know this seems like a dumb post, im more worried about the mechanical soundness of the car and wanting to know if anyone else has this feeling in their GT?
Old 09-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I think you mentioned turning TC off. If so them it could be stabilitrac, but that is not really that aggressive. What kind of rubber do you have? Sounds like it could be a case of really good summer tires catching
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetag93
Try turning stability control off. Hold down traction control button for 5 secs with foot on brake and stopped.
Thank you Jetag93, I never knew there was a difference between TC and stability control

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidRRaxle
I think you mentioned turning TC off. If so them it could be stabilitrac, but that is not really that aggressive. What kind of rubber do you have? Sounds like it could be a case of really good summer tires catching
The stock Perelli's. Car has 8k miles on it so if it's the tires, then this may have to wait till they need to be replaced
Old 09-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Re: Just bought a 2011 GT, has seizures when drifting at low speeds :-(

TC off or advancetrak off? you got several modes.sport too.I would have advance trak off for that. I would also bet you need susp. upgrades for that type driving.The stock susp. in the rear causes bad wheel hop.The OE tires don,t help matters.You will need to try to narrow down the problem.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetag93
Jetag93, turned off the stability control and the hopping is almost completely resolved. Thank you.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #9
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Now you need some rear Lca's and that should help get rid of what ever wheel hop you've got left.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexl.Wilson

Jetag93, turned off the stability control and the hopping is almost completely resolved. Thank you.
Welcome!
2013 DIB Premium GT/CS, 6MT, Cervinis Ram-Air Hood, RTR Charcoal 19X9.5s, BBK Cat Deletes & X-Pipe, DMH E-Cutouts, GT500 Rear Diffuser w/GT500 Quad-tip Axle-Backs, AED E85 Lope Tune, Boss 302 Intake, BBK 85mm TB, JLT CAI, Dynatech Alum DS, FRPP 3.73's, Eibach Pro-Springs and Pro-Struts/shocks, J&M Adj Panhard Bar, UPR Billet Alum LCA's, BMR UCA & Bracket & Relo Brackets, Eibach Adj Sway Bars, MGW Shifter, Brembo brake kit w/14" slotted 2 piece Boogie Full Tilt Racing Rotors, Llumar 30/5 Tint
Jetag93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:10 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Everything above is accurate. ESC will kick in when there is lateral movement if only traction control is disabled. You must follow the procedure to completely disable the advancetrac system as outlined in your owners manual.

That said, you need to replace the upper control arm, lower control arms, and get some better tires. There are many threads on all of these topics, an I suggest that you search this forum and others for more information on these mods.

PS - Welcome to the forums!
Old 09-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexl.Wilson
Hey everyone, ive been a member of the forums for about a month now and last week I got a 2011 GT M6 premium in Kona Blue. I love it. HID and GT500 AB's should be here tomorrow.

The previous mustang was a 1994 GT Saleen replica, so this was a slight upgrade. Im 25 years old and recently moved to the Lexington, KY area. I really don't mess around in the car very much, the only thing that I've always enjoyed was drifting around corners at like 20mph when it was raining because I didn't feel guilty about eating the tires or having the car jolt back into traction. Well it rained in Lexington today, and I took the traction control off to play a little bit and the car seems to really start hopping unless I really get into the rpms. With the 94', it was incredibly smooth when I broke and regained traction. I just didn't know if this was because the computers on the new car can not be truly turned off, or if different tires other than the stock perelli's will be smoother, or I just don't know how to drive the new car. And worst case scenario...if my car is the only one that acts like this.

Thanks everyone, I look forward to being an active member.

Alex
press the traction control button once when either stopped or moving and you turn off traction control. But, to turn the entire system off (traction control and ESC) you must be at a stop, foot on brake and hold down button for a full 5 seconds until the esc off notification appears on your dash. Then, you go out a play...it makes a huge difference!
2011 mustang gt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
2011 gt