4.6 Vs. 5.0 - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #36
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post

Actually termi's were underrated.. By a lot.. I remember reading over and over that they were dyno'ing at 385 right off the showroom floor.
+1 I heard they were underrated cause of insurance
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-20-2012, 08:28 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular
 
KATO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cutler Bay
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,593
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
Re: 4.6 Vs. 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexl.Wilson View Post
To the OP, KATO's got the best answer here. Everyone is just giving you ballpark numbers, two 5.0's off the lot will still come up with two different dynos. Don't be concerned with the size (that's NOT what she said), Other manufacturers have made more horsepower out of smaller engines. Most of us have an emotional connection to the 5.0, but my old 5.0 made ~215hp, and after a few revisions the 5.0 will come off the lot with 500hp. The real answer to your question is probably in a marketing class somewhere

As to when the nitpicking over horsepower numbers started. When the first person wrote that the Terminator had 365, that was like reading Batman wore a red costume. The terminator was an iconic car for ALL of us, and I'm sure we all fantasized about 390hp, 390lb-ft and how to get our cars there. I'm sure the first person to correct it wasn't trying to be offensive, but just say what the rest of us were thinking; batman wore a black costume.
__________________
07 GT. SCT: CUSTOM TUNE by "MUSTANG SPECIALTIES". LMR: GEN2 2010 STYLE HEADLIGHTS, RAXIOM: 2010 SMOKED COYOTE TAIL LIGHTS, WHEELS: STAGGERED WHL 22X8.5F-22X10R.
KATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

+1 I heard they were underrated cause of insurance
It's true.. I was neck deep in Mustangs back then and remember this very clearly.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #39
Registered User
Newbie
 
Alexl.Wilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 33
Re: 4.6 Vs. 5.0

Mr. Turner.....you listed off every other engines output at the crank with the official numbers that Ford puts out...and then pulled a switch-a-roo at the Cobra and went with RWP. My bad, I should have caught that...somehow.
Turner, I’m not disputing that you know a great deal about cars and could have listed off every engines output, year by year. It was just unclear I guess and it stood out from the rest of the numbers you gave.
Back to the original point I was hoping to make. OP, I mean no offense by this, but it sounds like you may just be getting into the mustang world if felt the need to ask a question like this. In our world the differences are astonishing between the 4.6 and 5.0, but to the rest of the world I understand, most could not tell you the difference, my girlfriend couldn’t tell you the difference between a mail truck and a Lamborghini. So as you can see by all the responses, the 5.0 is just going to give you more horsepower for the time being…unless your 4.6 is at Paul’s High Performance getting some Twin Turbos as we speak
Alexl.Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexl.Wilson
Mr. Turner.....you listed off every other engines output at the crank with the official numbers that Ford puts out...and then pulled a switch-a-roo at the Cobra and went with RWP. My bad, I should have caught that...somehow.
Turner, I’m not disputing that you know a great deal about cars and could have listed off every engines output, year by year. It was just unclear I guess and it stood out from the rest of the numbers you gave.
Back to the original point I was hoping to make. OP, I mean no offense by this, but it sounds like you may just be getting into the mustang world if felt the need to ask a question like this. In our world the differences are astonishing between the 4.6 and 5.0, but to the rest of the world I understand, most could not tell you the difference, my girlfriend couldn’t tell you the difference between a mail truck and a Lamborghini. So as you can see by all the responses, the 5.0 is just going to give you more horsepower for the time being…unless your 4.6 is at Paul’s High Performance getting some Twin Turbos as we speak
No problem!.. The numbers I listed were just generalized, and right off the top of my head!.. Stock for stock and mod for mod the new 5.0 is the best between the two!..

---------- Post added at 07:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

+1 I heard they were underrated cause of insurance
I heard it was because of both insurance, and because Ford wanted to completely dominate GM!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

No problem!.. The numbers I listed were just generalized, and right off the top of my head!.. Stock for stock and mod for mod the new 5.0 is the best between the two!..

---------- Post added at 07:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 AM ----------



I heard it was because of both insurance, and because Ford wanted to completely dominate GM!..
This is true.. The F-body SS was the target and the Termi KILLED IT! Literally!
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:50 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular
 
anthonyrc618's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexl.Wilson
4.6 = Jessica Alba.

5.0 = Jessica Alba and her friend.
+1000000000
anthonyrc618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

This is true.. The F-body SS was the target and the Termi KILLED IT! Literally!
I was a big time Chevy FanBoy at the time!.. I nearly broke down in tears!.. Lol
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:53 AM   #44
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
I heard it was because of both insurance, and because Ford wanted to completely dominate GM!..
I wish Ford would have had that desire starting back in like 98.
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

I was a big time Chevy FanBoy at the time!.. I nearly broke down in tears!.. Lol
The SS and WS-6 were ridiculous fast.. Hell even the Z's and standard Trans-Am's were fast too..
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:49 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

The SS and WS-6 were ridiculous fast.. Hell even the Z's and standard Trans-Am's were fast too..
I'm not gonna lie, I LOVE the 2001-02 Trans Ams, especially with the WS6 package. The termis were amazing from a performance perspective, but the TAs had such amazing styling... I haven't seen anything measure up since.
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

The SS and WS-6 were ridiculous fast.. Hell even the Z's and standard Trans-Am's were fast too..
Why do you think I was a FanBoy at the time?.... Lol.

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

I'm not gonna lie, I LOVE the 2001-02 Trans Ams, especially with the WS6 package. The termis were amazing from a performance perspective, but the TAs had such amazing styling... I haven't seen anything measure up since.
I liked the TAs looks but still think the Terminator looked better!.. It just has a much more menacing appearance to it!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:13 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

Why do you think I was a FanBoy at the time?.... Lol.

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 AM ----------



I liked the TAs looks but still think the Terminator looked better!.. It just has a much more menacing appearance to it!..
That's because you weren't into mustangs then.. Jus say'n.. If you were you'd have thought the Termi looked like a tweaked mustang like the rest of us lol
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:44 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

Why do you think I was a FanBoy at the time?.... Lol.

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 AM ----------



I liked the TAs looks but still think the Terminator looked better!.. It just has a much more menacing appearance to it!..
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

That's because you weren't into mustangs then.. Jus say'n.. If you were you'd have thought the Termi looked like a tweaked mustang like the rest of us lol
I have honestly never been into the sn95 styling, so the termi didn't have any visual appeal to me. I only like them for their mechanical parts. Those cars were years ahead of their time...
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

I have honestly never been into the sn95 styling, so the termi didn't have any visual appeal to me. I only like them for their mechanical parts. Those cars were years ahead of their time...
I wouldn't say years ahead of their time!.. Ford simply did with the Cobra what Chevy wanted to do with the Camaro and TA!... Simply put a SC on, tweak the style a bit, up the overall performance, and keep it fairly priced!.. That's some thing GM has a very hard time doing!.. As a matter of fact it seem down right impossible for them!.. Lol.

Plus Fords sales and marketing seems to always do alot better!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:09 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular
 
claudermilk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: California
Posts: 598
Re: 4.6 Vs. 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
I have honestly never been into the sn95 styling, so the termi didn't have any visual appeal to me. I only like them for their mechanical parts. Those cars were years ahead of their time...
Yay, I'm not the only one! The melted bar of soap look didn't work on the Mustang for me. I am developing an appreciation of the New Edge cars though.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #52
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudermilk View Post

Yay, I'm not the only one! The melted bar of soap look didn't work on the Mustang for me. I am developing an appreciation of the New Edge cars though.
Looks like we are going in the wrong direction with this thread
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular
 
claudermilk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: California
Posts: 598
Re: 4.6 Vs. 5.0



OK, veer back.

Stirring the pot...

Boss is 444HP (it's still 5.0 ).
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mitch_Gibbons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 74
Hahaha you guys are cracking me up!!!
Mitch_Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
Well they didn't just throw a sc on it, they tweaked the engine up a bit thts why they can handle so much hp! Lol
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #56
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
lowflyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 19,890
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
How do you think the new coyote was developed? Learning from the modular motors and developing new ideas.

Btw, anyone here know the actual size of the coyote displacement?
__________________
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
Mine:
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
335
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn
How do you think the new coyote was developed? Learning from the modular motors and developing new ideas.

Btw, anyone here know the actual size of the coyote displacement?
Isn't it like 4951 or 4953cc? I'm not sure but I know it was just enough to round up to 5.0L and be a true 5.0 whereas the pushrods 5.0s were under 4950cc.
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular
 
DWC_SmOziLLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lancaster
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,791
The coyote was developed in a think tank if scientists and engineers that were doped up on LSD and Laffy Taffy, the spent most of the time arguing about sandals.

The actual displacement is 4951cc, or 302cid.
__________________
Best 1/4: 1.90 60ft. - 12.15 @ 119mph on Street Tires.
460.25rwhp & 408.28rwtq SAE on a Dynojet 224xLC
Tuned by Matt Lepkowski, owner and operator a Performance Evolution in Smyrna, DE.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudermilk


OK, veer back.

Stirring the pot...

Boss is 444HP (it's still 5.0 ).
STOP Nit Picking!!!... Lol.

---------- Post added at 11:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn
How do you think the new coyote was developed? Learning from the modular motors and developing new ideas.

Btw, anyone here know the actual size of the coyote displacement?
That's how anything new comes about!...

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

Ford actually likes to learn from their past mistakes!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #60
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa
The coyote was developed in a think tank if scientists and engineers that were doped up on LSD and Laffy Taffy, the spent most of the time arguing about sandals.

The actual displacement is 4951cc, or 302cid.
Yup it's actually a 5.0, not a 4942 cc motor lol
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular
 
The Darkside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Region: New York
Posts: 1,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch_Gibbons
This might sound a little dumb... but what is the difference between a 5.0 liter v8 and a 4.6?
Dude everyone here can try to give it to you in a nutshell, but the truth is the two engines are so different I could write 3 pages on it. 4.6 has been around for years, the 5.0 is the most modern designed engine out there. My friends who own
Cameros, challengers, evos, wrx's all Beilive that 5.0 is the dawn of a new age. And it's only going to improve with time.
Soon well get direct injection!
__________________
American Muscle forever!
i bleed Race fuel!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_FjllgR5-Y
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular
 
Martysmustang62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 74
For me what was different was the $9000 I did not have to spend on a 5.0.
Martysmustang62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martysmustang62
For me what was different was the $9000 I did not have to spend on a 5.0.
Rofl. This guy...
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #64
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
Brand new to brand new there was only about a 3k difference... But that 3k gives you sooooooo much more
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



05:10 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.