Painting my coil cover! - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxmunkey26 View Post
Are these current pictures after a year of use?
No those are a week or so after. But the paint has held up perfectly.
Tpost08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Painted mine as follows...

Wiped everything down with alcohol and let them dry.

Lightly sprayed them with Dupli-color Adhesion Promoter. Let them fully dry.

Painted with VHT Hi-Temp paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00001.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	133759  
Missouri Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Hoss View Post

Looks really good! How hot is that paint raited to and how long after you painted was this pic taken?
caligrownSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

How long ago did you do it and do you have any recent pictures?
laxmunkey26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How long ago did you do it and do you have any recent pictures?
I did it shortly after I bought the car. (3,000 miles ago). It is just as clean and defect free now as it was then.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00124.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	133779   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00125.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	133780  

Name:	DSC00123.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	133781   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00126.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	133782  

Old 10-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I did it shortly after I bought the car. (3,000 miles ago). It is just as clean and defect free now as it was then.
Damn...just one more thing to add to the list. Thanks
Old 10-24-2013, 09:39 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrownSD View Post
Looks really good! How hot is that paint raited to and how long after you painted was this pic taken?
According to O'Reillys, the paint is rated at 1300F-2000F. I painted it back in May and it's made a round trip to Saint Louis and back and a bunch of weekend road cruises. Saint Louis trip was 160 miles each way on an 80+ degree day.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
According to O'Reillys, the paint is rated at 1300F-2000F. I painted it back in May and it's made a round trip to Saint Louis and back and a bunch of weekend road cruises. Saint Louis trip was 160 miles each way on an 80+ degree day.
Hopefully Texas heat doesnt do any damage.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I am a rookie bro so I appreciate the info... I was planning on using dupli color which is rated up to 500 degrees (from o'reillys). Do you think that would hold up on the manifold? Also, was the manifold just as simple as popping it off, painting it, and putting it back on or is there anything I should know... Thank you!
Old 10-24-2013, 10:08 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hopefully Texas heat doesnt do any damage.
I think you'll be ok. I drove my GT pretty hard coming back from the trip and stopped a couple of times. Once she's shut off in the summertime, the heat really builds under the hood. But, it's still flawless.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I am a rookie bro so I appreciate the info... I was planning on using dupli color which is rated up to 500 degrees (from o'reillys). Do you think that would hold up on the manifold? Also, was the manifold just as simple as popping it off, painting it, and putting it back on or is there anything I should know... Thank you!
To be honest, I'd use a higher temp paint, like the HVT brand to be safe. The Dupli-color Adhesion Promoter will work though.

I removed the strut tower brace and the plenum cover. I shoved newspaper down and around the manifold, then laid rags all over everything else (resembling a blanket) to avoid paint drift and overspray. You don't need to meticulously mask this stuff off. Just be cautious and don't over-apply the adhesion promotor and paint. You don't need thick coats of either one. I applied one complete coat of adhesion promoter, let it sit for an hour, then applied a light paint caot, which I let sit for 30 minutes. After that, I applied the finish coat and let it sit all afternoon. Once it dried to the touch, I could have driven the car. But, I chose to let it sit.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:57 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
To be honest, I'd use a higher temp paint, like the HVT brand to be safe. The Dupli-color Adhesion Promoter will work though.

I removed the strut tower brace and the plenum cover. I shoved newspaper down and around the manifold, then laid rags all over everything else (resembling a blanket) to avoid paint drift and overspray. You don't need to meticulously mask this stuff off. Just be cautious and don't over-apply the adhesion promotor and paint. You don't need thick coats of either one. I applied one complete coat of adhesion promoter, let it sit for an hour, then applied a light paint caot, which I let sit for 30 minutes. After that, I applied the finish coat and let it sit all afternoon. Once it dried to the touch, I could have driven the car. But, I chose to let it sit.
I appreciate the info! I will hopefully get to it in the next weekend or so. I will definitely post pics... Thanks again!
Old 11-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So I finally bought the paint and I should be getting to it this weekend. Thought of a quick question! Did you let the adhesion promoter dry before you applied the paint?
Old 11-01-2013, 04:24 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I done this work 2 years ago and they literally look like they were bought. I used High temp paint and high temp clear and they look factory for real. I washed them with warm soap and water and dried very good. Used my air compressor to blow all the corners of things real dry. On these I did not use any adhesion promoter or primer at all. Light mist coat of the blue then starting working from there with about 4 coats to get it right. No runs. Did not hang the pieces either. Flat on workbench. I can get you the name of the paint I used if needed. I have plenty of it, I can go look.

The engine cover was/is incomplete in this pic. Coil covers are done.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	037.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	134832  
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #50
Road Trip!

Region: California
I did mine a couple mints ago , I bought some roush covers but I didn't like the red so I painted them ford blue...

Name:	image-2122855848.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	551.2 KB
ID:	134834
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-231871242.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	539.4 KB
ID:	134835   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2980344074.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	540.5 KB
ID:	134836  

PonyBoy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
These could be a good restoration project for somebody. Guy got some brake fluid on one and it screwed up the clear
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang View Post
I done this work 2 years ago and they literally look like they were bought. I used High temp paint and high temp clear and they look factory for real. I washed them with warm soap and water and dried very good. Used my air compressor to blow all the corners of things real dry. On these I did not use any adhesion promoter or primer at all. Light mist coat of the blue then starting working from there with about 4 coats to get it right. No runs. Did not hang the pieces either. Flat on workbench. I can get you the name of the paint I used if needed. I have plenty of it, I can go look.

The engine cover was/is incomplete in this pic. Coil covers are done.
Looks great! I picked up VHT's high heat and was planning on using that. I also grabbed dupli-colors adhesion promoter. I didn't grab a clear coat though.... Lots of guys use it and it looks great and lots of guys don't and it still looks great. I am just a new painter and I really am not clear on how to apply a clear coat. I start getting confused when people talk about sanding....
Old 11-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Looks great! I picked up VHT's high heat and was planning on using that. I also grabbed dupli-colors adhesion promoter. I didn't grab a clear coat though.... Lots of guys use it and it looks great and lots of guys don't and it still looks great. I am just a new painter and I really am not clear on how to apply a clear coat. I start getting confused when people talk about sanding....
Before I did my actual coil covers, I actually practiced on my old xbox faceplate :-p lol
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:01 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post

Before I did my actual coil covers, I actually practiced on my old xbox faceplate :-p lol
Not a bad idea at all!
Old 11-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Here's my red coil covers

I wiped down the coil covers with some paint degreaser, painted some primer, base coat, then top coat of the metallic red...total $$ was about $19.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	973.1 KB
ID:	134981  
EastTNMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #56
Road Trip!

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14rs3roush View Post
I wiped down the coil covers with some paint degreaser, painted some primer, base coat, then top coat of the metallic red...total $$ was about $19.
Sweet Roush : Thumbs
PonyBoy415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14rs3roush View Post
Looks good!! I did the same, u ever consider sanding it down with 2000 or 1500?? It would look nice and clean
Old 11-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

lol...I probably could, but I like the way they look now.

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoy415 View Post
Sweet Roush : Thumbs
Thanks!
Old 11-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So I finally bought the paint and I should be getting to it this weekend. Thought of a quick question! Did you let the adhesion promoter dry before you applied the paint?
I let it dry for 10 minutes or so, then painted the covers and intake. It was warm in my garage and I had a fan blowing to circulate the air, so the light coat I applied dried quickly.

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

Quote:
I didn't sand anything and they turned out just fine. I just wiped them down with alcohol, dusted them with adhesion promoter, then applied the paint.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I let it dry for 10 minutes or so, then painted the covers and intake. It was warm in my garage and I had a fan blowing to circulate the air, so the light coat I applied dried quickly.

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

I didn't sand anything and they turned out just fine. I just wiped them down with alcohol, dusted them with adhesion promoter, then applied the paint.
Ok thanks, I appreciate it! I'll keep you posted.

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post

Looks good!! I did the same, u ever consider sanding it down with 2000 or 1500?? It would look nice and clean
So of you sand it lightly after your last coat, it will have a better shine?
Old 11-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
I spy track pack lol
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok thanks, I appreciate it! I'll keep you posted. ---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ---------- So of you sand it lightly after your last coat, it will have a better shine?
It'll take away the heavy texture, but the biggest PITA is getting all the compound out of the "powered by Ford" letters
Old 11-03-2013, 01:38 PM   #63

Definitely going to paint some type of design under the hood like this, looks so awesome
Sparkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The first pic was a brighter blue. The subsequent pics were darker and duller. Seems like the first pic was a glow in the dark blue and the last ones were the same but the blue lost its glow and needs to recharge.

Looks good tho. Thumbs up
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post

The first pic was a brighter blue. The subsequent pics were darker and duller. Seems like the first pic was a glow in the dark blue and the last ones were the same but the blue lost its glow and needs to recharge.

Different lighting
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not sure why everyone is having problems but I laid down a couple base coats of plastidip. Then applied red engine enamel paint and it's been on there for 5 months now and it hasn't affected it at all. And that's including several days at the track where under the hood got real nice and toasty.

Name:	image-1901028430.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	666.2 KB
ID:	135193
United States Air Force
Bonnie12V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Same here...no problems with paint after 1200 mile road trip.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post

First pic was taken in the daytime when it was painted. Other pics were taken at night. I assure you, the paint has not deteriorated or changed one bit. She's rolling up on 3k and 7 months since it was painted.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
First pic was taken in the daytime when it was painted. Other pics were taken at night. I assure you, the paint has not deteriorated or changed one bit. She's rolling up on 3k and 7 months since it was painted.
All that hard work to dress up the engine bay. It's a shame to not drive around hood less. What they should do is make a clear hood. Or have a center glass that can be electrically charged to change it clear or not. Lol.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So all I have got to this weekend was the strut tower brace. I am actually getting one made by steeda to fit over the boss manifold so this was a practice run. Honestly, it looks better in the pic. There are definitely so e imperfections but for my first time, I am happy. On e again, thanks for the help. I will have the rest done this weekend and I will post pics!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1167708977.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	613.3 KB
ID:	135299   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3278672067.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	641.4 KB
ID:	135300  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT