NEED HELP w/ "K" Springs - QUICK as possible. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
NEED HELP w/ "K" Springs - QUICK as possible.

I am installing "K" springs in 2012 gt brambo package.I undone it using the trick of lowering "A" arm with all nuts off from top.I got the strut completely off car but problem is the mount still came apart.The piece that sits on the spring has a plastic rotating assembly that is together.Problem is I have found 3 small BB size bearing balls.Might be another I haven't found but not sure.Question IS?? Where do they belong?? Please help if ya know
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Now have 4 of the stainless size BB balls? ANYBODY???? Thanks thats all of them
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
Old 09-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Napoleon had the same issue, I know he managed to find all of those little bastards and put them back in. hopefully he will chime in soon

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

did they slip out that rotating piece? seems to rotate fine.I bet they did with the bind it was in on one corner doing the "A" arm thing.How can I put them back in??
Old 09-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I have no idea what your talking about, sorry. All I do know is that you'll regret putting all that back together and reusing those strut mounts. Be warned.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

^ true, I do know that Napoleon also has many issues with the mounts making noises... if you can try to pick up some new ones

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 09-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I got GT 500 mounts brand new but cant use until I buy 05-10 koni.I have to reuse these for now
Old 09-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
That round thing is a bearing. Pull on it and you'll see 5000 bearings.
2011 5.0 Steeda sway bars, panhard, shocks, struts, springs, camber adj, Bump steer kit, Steeda Spyder wheels, Toyo Proxes, AirRaid, SCT, Roush mufflers, JBA X-Pipe and cat del, Boss 302 intake, Baer 6p front and rear with drilled/slotted rotors.
ducatibrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:58 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

It's the upper strut mount bearing its a round plastic piece that sits between the 2 halves that's where the BBs came from make sure you put them back or it will make noise if you can't find all of them you can buy one from ford for 45 bucks. It comes as the whole upper strut mont not just the bearing but that's the only way to get it. If you want a pic I can get you one.
SSC182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Got it all back together.Took apart cleaned very well and greased.Put it all back together.There may have been enough room for one more bb but it would have been tight.Think I will be ok till I put koni's and my gt500 mounts.

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 PM ----------

On another note.With "K" spring drop and putting the camber bolt in the top whole now.......which way will the kicked out 45 degree angle washer adjuster most likely need to face.Toward motor or outward toward wheel??? Is it a ok idea to put it in now and tighten and it will be there when I go for alignment?? Need help with opinions on both those questions.Thanks
Old 09-26-2012, 10:14 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

The camber bolt should go in the bottom hole of the strut if I'm not mistaken.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:35 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

according to instructions not.Only if using 2 on same side.Both holes. Still need help on post # 10

SSC182.....Look at BMR site..... camber bolts and click PDF file on instruction. Says top hole when using 1 per side. BMR'solts also offer little more then say Eibach.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I think all my questions are answered on AM.Looking under Eibach CB there pdf shows it the way I got it now.I am gonna tighten there and go with that till I get allighnment.Thanks and any input is still useful fellows.I do other side in morning.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I work for ford and according to fords workshop manuals it's the bottom honestly it probably doesn't matter. If you look at the bottom of the strut there should be some marks which is where you grind the hole to in order to fit the cam bolt.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:38 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

This is what I put back together.Clean and snapped back tight and felt good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	036.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	70220  
Old 09-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
Napoleon had the same issue, I know he managed to find all of those little bastards and put them back in. hopefully he will chime in soon
You might as well just stop now and order new struts and mounts, or go get a new mount from Ford. Mine blew apart like that, and even though I managed to get it back together and get all the bearings in(FYI it's supposed to look like its missing one or two) the mount has never been right. I'm just a few thousand miles down the road and it pops so loud my passengers can feel it in the seat.

---------- Post added at 09:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang
This is what I put back together.Clean and snapped back tight and felt good.
That looks right. Like I said though, you're on borrowed time. Start saving for those konis!
Old 09-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

You might as well just stop now and order new struts and mounts, or go get a new mount from Ford. Mine blew apart like that, and even though I managed to get it back together and get all the bearings in(FYI it's supposed to look like its missing one or two) the mount has never been right. I'm just a few thousand miles down the road and it pops so loud my passengers can feel it in the seat.

---------- Post added at 09:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------

That looks right. Like I said though, you're on borrowed time. Start saving for those konis!
Yup... My k-springs have been on for about ten months(DD).. Just started popping maybe 2 months ago or so on driver side.. Just trying to save up the $$ for some c/c plates and adjustable struts..
Old 09-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Well got the "K" springs in,Camber bolts top hole,BMR relocation brackets,CHE LCA's.J&M PH bar all installed and back together.Gonna go for a test drive before I say more.LOL!
Old 09-27-2012, 02:40 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Well took a 5mile trip.Thing rides like a dream.No noise not even from LCA,s.Gotta get some grease on the PHbar and get alighnment.I will post up pics soon as all done and cleaned.Very happy so far.I will be saving for the Koni's but for now perfect.A guy who was running same setup as me put Tekico in after 16,000 miles and the 500 mounts and said it groaned from the moment he drove off.Hmmm....I hear good and bad about S&S replacements.Probably need to save and buy the yellow adjustables.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
It's the gt500 mounts!! had them on my 08 and they popped and made clanking sounds from the day I installed them till about 20,000 miles when I traded the car in! I think it's because they are stiffer but wasnt sure! I know every bolt was tight and re checked dozens of times with no fix!
Stang8psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang8psi View Post
It's the gt500 mounts!! had them on my 08 and they popped and made clanking sounds from the day I installed them till about 20,000 miles when I traded the car in! I think it's because they are stiffer but wasnt sure! I know every bolt was tight and re checked dozens of times with no fix!
I am hearing some not so great things about going to GT 500 strut mounts and 05-10 struts.Hate to spend on good type struts and shocks and not be happy. Gonna have to wait and watch while I drive this for now.Just greased the PH Bar,so now need to go for alignment 2moro.Feels like its fine but I know it's probably off some.
Whats the average price to expect for alighnment????
Old 09-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #22
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

About $70 around my way in KY

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 09-27-2012, 06:38 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks man!
Old 09-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by back n a stang View Post
I am hearing some not so great things about going to GT 500 strut mounts and 05-10 struts.Hate to spend on good type struts and shocks and not be happy. Gonna have to wait and watch while I drive this for now.Just greased the PH Bar,so now need to go for alignment 2moro.Feels like its fine but I know it's probably off some.
Whats the average price to expect for alighnment????
If true, that sucks a big one. The next best option is about three times as much. What have you read about the GT500 strut mounts that makes them a bad choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
About $70 around my way in KY
About the same here in SW Ohio.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE=Napoleon85;1329440]If true, that sucks a big one. The next best option is about three times as much. What have you read about the GT500 strut mounts that makes them a bad choice?

Well one is posted a few up and on over at other place a thread I started same as this; A guy speaks about the same.Also read on other threads at same board good and bad. so, I don't know.Everybody says go for yellow sport adjustables. I will be watching to see whats best move between now and then.If you do them before me I can see what you think.So,far very happy with the way mine is now.Going to a shop to get it straight 2moro.Feels good but could be out I know. Here is pic,s..... Whatcha ya'll think?

On another note my exhaust has returned to normal.I think gas got in the fiber and had to dry.Much better now.Back to sweet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	70403   Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	730
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	70404  

Old 09-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
Looks great bud. Glad to hear everything is all back together again.

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I haven't taken one of these apart, but there is definitely enough room for at least another bearin there. Aside from the big gap at 11, there are a couple gaps around 4 and 5 o'clock. U sure u didn't lose one?

All black looks sinister btw, nice car
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

The only bad thing I've seen posted is about the ONE guy who installed USED gt500 mounts and they creaked from the install. That really carries no weight with me against the thousands of cars that use gt500 strut mounts with no problems. There is a reason ford hasn't changed them since 2007...

---------- Post added at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidRRaxle
I haven't taken one of these apart, but there is definitely enough room for at least another bearin there. Aside from the big gap at 11, there are a couple gaps around 4 and 5 o'clock. U sure u didn't lose one?

All black looks sinister btw, nice car
There's supposed to be a gap.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:18 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
The only bad thing I've seen posted is about the ONE guy who installed USED gt500 mounts and they creaked from the install. That really carries no weight with me against the thousands of cars that use gt500 strut mounts with no problems. There is a reason ford hasn't changed them since 2007...

---------- Post added at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

There's supposed to be a gap.
I know there is more probably good than bad,but here is my opinion on ride complaints. If for example everybody was on lets say STR.T. Some complaints, some not.....Well if ones on a 1'' drop ,some on 1.5, some on little more, little less, and some are BMR, Eibach, FRPP, Steeda, H&R, and then some on say SVE or SR. All are different in quality and spring rate.Granted some are made by same companies and private labeled. Some not, but I would say that can be a factor. Which Company springs, drop, and rate compliments the STR.T the most is up in the air and matter of opinion.
I just found out today the specs on my stock Brembo springs VS. base GT and V6. In fact I am posting them for sale along with the GT500 LCA's from 07-12 GT500 and Brembo package GT cars. Below is the specs....
MINE off my car: BR33-5310-EA FRONT Spring 131 Lbs.
BR33-5560-GB REAR Spring 167Lbs.

GT Base: Front 123 lbs
Rear 156 lbs.

The rate of all the aftermarkets I do not know but I think paired up with aftermarket Struts/shocks it would be some difference in ride quality.Just my take.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT