Help: Installing my Roush Exhaust - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Help: Installing my Roush Exhaust

Hey guys,

Some of you who helped me sort out my exhaust situation know I have the Roush axle-back on rush order. Just saw on the tracker that it's in my neighborhood so I will have it today. I intend on installing it when I get home, rather than wait to bring it in to the shop. No sense in doing that since I placed a rush on it. Here is where I need your help:

What tools am I going to need? On AM they say "Standard hand tools" but I don't know if I have everything.

How hard is it? I'm not dummy, but I've never done an exhaust before so I don't know what to expect.

Is this doable within 2 hours?

Thanks for all the help (in advance).
Klaximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaximilian
Hey guys,

Some of you who helped me sort out my exhaust situation know I have the Roush axle-back on rush order. Just saw on the tracker that it's in my neighborhood so I will have it today. I intend on installing it when I get home, rather than wait to bring it in to the shop. No sense in doing that since I placed a rush on it. Here is where I need your help:

What tools am I going to need? On AM they say "Standard hand tools" but I don't know if I have everything.

How hard is it? I'm not dummy, but I've never done an exhaust before so I don't know what to expect.

Is this doable within 2 hours?

Thanks for all the help (in advance).
Standard and metric sockets are all that you need. Grease helps, and will be useful down the road. I got a tub of Mobil1 synthetic grease from autozone for a few bucks and the **** is like magic. It's useful in removing the old exhaust and putting the new on. If you can't get to the store or can't find it, wd40 will also work, and in a real pinch you can use tire shine. Just don't use anything that will eat up the rubber hangars.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
You can do it yourself and installing is easy but the hard or rather annoying part is getting the stock mufflers off. I tried it with my first axle back and got about 45 min into it and got annoyed so I ended up just taking it to a shop and them switch my axle back for 50 bucks.
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstang1
You can do it yourself and installing is easy but the hard or rather annoying part is getting the stock mufflers off. I tried it with my first axle back and got about 45 min into it and got annoyed so I ended up just taking it to a shop and them switch my axle back for 50 bucks.
Taking them off is the hardest part. Get ready to use some muscle. But you will love them when they are finally on. And get ready to stop at the gas station a few times bcuz your going to be driving around a few hrs just to hear the amazing sound!!!!
Tha twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Lol, awe that sounds like fun! I can't wait to do my exhaust!
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha twin View Post
Taking them off is the hardest part. Get ready to use some muscle. But you will love them when they are finally on. And get ready to stop at the gas station a few times bcuz your going to be driving around a few hrs just to hear the amazing sound!!!!
What exactly is hard about taking the stocks off? Are they sort of tightened on to the piping a little too much?

Also, stupid question to ask. Should I just use a standard car ramp to get underneath it?
Old 09-27-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

The stock are huge and heavy and it's just awkward to get to the hangers laying on the ground.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstang1
The stock are huge and heavy and it's just awkward to get to the hangers laying on the ground.
+1 the driver side was the hardest for me and my cousin
Tha twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Is there anything welded that needs to come off?
Old 09-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

No not when I did it on my 2011
Old 09-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Is there anything welded that needs to come off?
No, but the clamp is welded to the mufflers. Just an FYI before you waste 30 mins trying to figure out why it won't move
Old 09-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Whats the deal with the hangers?

I know they bolt in to the underside of the car, but how do they connect to the new Roush Muffler? Or do I not use the stock hangers for this install?
Old 09-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
No, but the clamp is welded to the mufflers. Just an FYI before you waste 30 mins trying to figure out why it won't move
Judging from pictures, I think the Roush exhaust comes with new clamps. I think....
Old 09-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:

I know they bolt in to the underside of the car, but how do they connect to the new Roush Muffler? Or do I not use the stock hangers for this install?
The roush mufflers have pieces of metal that protrude from it that correspond to the appropriate hanger. Just slide the metal into the stock hanger. I use pb blaster penetrating oil to help and that stuff is magical. Also since it clamps on, it's nice to have impact wrenches. I I had so many clamps for my pypes super system that without the impact wrenches I would have gone crazy.
MGW SHORT SHIFTER
CDC CHIN SPOILER W/ BLACK BILLET GRILLS
BLACK JLT OIL SEPARATOR
ThinBlueLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Do not unbolt the hangars. It's very hard to get them back into place and tightened again.

Quote:

Judging from pictures, I think the Roush exhaust comes with new clamps. I think....
They do, but the old clip slips over the ball and socket joint and presents some interesting clearance issued. Usually, you would just slide it up or down the pipe, but it is tack welded in place. You will understand when you look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinBlueLine

The roush mufflers have pieces of metal that protrude from it that correspond to the appropriate hanger. Just slide the metal into the stock hanger. I use pb blaster penetrating oil to help and that stuff is magical. Also since it clamps on, it's nice to have impact wrenches. I I had so many clamps for my pypes super system that without the impact wrenches I would have gone crazy.
PB blaster is great for loosening stubborn bolts, but I wouldn't use it on rubber. Stick with grease for rubber/poly joints and bushings.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Do not unbolt the hangars. It's very hard to get them back into place and tightened again.
Don't remove the hangers from the car? How easy is it to remove the hanger from the muffler while the hanger attached to the car?
Old 09-27-2012, 01:33 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaximilian View Post
Don't remove the hangers from the car? How easy is it to remove the hanger from the muffler while the hanger attached to the car?
When you get under the car a lot of these questions will answer themselves

Gripping the wheel, his knuckles went white with desire! The wheels of his Mustang exploding on the highway like a slug from a .45. True death: 400 horsepower of maximum performance piercing the night...This is Black Sunshine-White Zombie
13BlkSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:37 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Very, just slide the muffler toward the front of the car and they pop out. It helps to have a second set of hands to push the midpipe out of the way.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Very, just slide the muffler toward the front of the car and they pop out. It helps to have a second set of hands to push the midpipe out of the way.
OK, the reason I ask is because I hear that they are welded on my thin metal tabs. If that is the case, am I supposed to break them off?
Old 09-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

It will.take two of u some beer and some patience the hardest part is removal u don't have to take of mid pipe like instructions say just use a lil muscle and follow directions ...good luck let us know how u like it ......I never put exhaust on either but me and my bro took 45 min to.do
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
It will.take two of u some beer and some patience the hardest part is removal u don't have to take of mid pipe like instructions say just use a lil muscle and follow directions ...good luck let us know how u like it ......I never put exhaust on either but me and my bro took 45 min to.do
It's just me, I anticipate the wife will have no desire to climb underneath the car.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's just me, I anticipate the wife will have no desire to climb underneath the car.
Where do you live....there may be someone on this board close that may be able to help out

Gripping the wheel, his knuckles went white with desire! The wheels of his Mustang exploding on the highway like a slug from a .45. True death: 400 horsepower of maximum performance piercing the night...This is Black Sunshine-White Zombie
Old 09-27-2012, 02:31 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13BlkSunshine View Post
Where do you live....there may be someone on this board close that may be able to help out
San Jose, Ca. Is it that hard to do it on your own? Now you're scaring me, lol...
Old 09-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

My wife had mine done at a shop while I was in Afghanistan. The only mod so far that I did not do myself

Old 09-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

OK, the reason I ask is because I hear that they are welded on my thin metal tabs. If that is the case, am I supposed to break them off?
The clamps are welded on with thin metal tabs, no need to take them off in this case. The metal studs that go into the hangars are welded straight to the muffler and Hercules himself couldn't snap them off.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #26
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

I didn't even use ramps on my 07. The stock mufflers on the 2011 were even easier to get off then the 07. A little squirt on the rubber and bam......done. The part that's gonna be troublesome is getting them to line up. If you have trouble with that then loosen up the mid pipe.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well its kinda hard because u have to push and pull the pipe while pulling the exhaust to wiggle it out the clamps and that tab u can break with a screw driver
Old 09-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

They do, but the old clip slips over the ball and socket joint and presents some interesting clearance issued. Usually, you would just slide it up or down the pipe, but it is tack welded in place. You will understand when you look at it.

PB blaster is great for loosening stubborn bolts, but I wouldn't use it on rubber. Stick with grease for rubber/poly joints and bushings.
It says its safe for rubber on my can..
MGW SHORT SHIFTER
CDC CHIN SPOILER W/ BLACK BILLET GRILLS
BLACK JLT OIL SEPARATOR
ThinBlueLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
They come with good instructions. I only have ramps too, so I backed up onto them and that worked. No need to completely remove mid-pipe as the instructions say, but it would make it a little easier if u had a lift, I guess. Just loosen the front mid-pipe clamps...it's a long crawl from the back of the car, though, lol....but get ready to get down and dirty and wrestle your old ones out of there!!
hpisloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I just put mine on yesterday! All you need is a 13mm and 15mm ratchet and socket! Its super easy!
Zeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
A little off topic ... but when I installed the Boss h-pipe (same type of clamps) I ABSOLUTELY had to cut the tabs ... no matter how hard we tried we couldn't fix the leaks ... the tabs held the clamps in a position where they didn't seat ... once we cut the tabs, perfect fit. We even used a strap to tightly pull the h-pipe up against the cats.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

got my 2 car jacks and 2 jack stands instead of the ramp.

13mm and 15mm socket wrench ready to go.

UPS guy, killing me. Hurry up, I'm losing precious light (and I want to watch the damn game)
Old 09-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:

Spray lube and the hangers come off very easy... Mufflers will come off easy if u start with sliding off the hangers

---------- Post added at 04:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

Quote:
got my 2 car jacks and 2 jack stands instead of the ramp.

13mm and 15mm socket wrench ready to go.

UPS guy, killing me. Hurry up, I'm losing precious light (and I want to watch the damn game)
Back onto ramps, much faster and safer that way IMHO
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

U got them on yet
Old 09-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

just started

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust