First Mod? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #1

Region: Ohio
First Mod?

Looking for suggestion on very first performance mod? Have stock 2012 GT. Thanks-
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Start with axlebacks, probably won't make u faster but definitely the most gratifying mod that'll make u happier stepping on the throttle
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
Yea do exhaust first but make sure you keep a eye out for what will ruin your warranty if u want to keep it but if you don't then get a cai and a tuner from am
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

How about suspension mods , i think my first mod would be a nice set of coilovers, its like driving a whole different car
Villero1834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I did cai and tune first.

Do you have a 6mt? If so, I'd suggest a short throw over the cai tune route. First, gratification of working on your car and second, this mod made the biggest difference for me in any driving situation.

I have held off on exhaust because if you go small right now but then want to go big later you may not have the axle backs you want for the complete package later
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Haven't done a thing yet. Still contemplating the VMP500 tuning kit for my Roush.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidRRaxle
I did cai and tune first.

Do you have a 6mt? If so, I'd suggest a short throw over the cai tune route. First, gratification of working on your car and second, this mod made the biggest difference for me in any driving situation.

I have held off on exhaust because if you go small right now but then want to go big later you may not have the axle backs you want for the complete package later
I agree short shifter makes a huge difference as far as one of the more gratifying mods, I guess everybody has different goals... I went axle back first, then suspension. As far as CAI and tune, I drove at least 6K just to make sure my engine was OK with no defects... 99% of the time if u got a bad egg, u will know pretty early... once u tune, there goes warranty... anything u mod, that part loses warranty
Old 09-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #8

How much HP increase can I expect with the tuner/CAI?
Old 09-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Depends on the cai and tune. I played it safe with the Procal package thru FRPP. Modest peak gain of 15, but a bump of about 30+ (they say 40) torque across the curve. Can definitely feel it. Keeps ur warranty tho in case u do get a lemon.
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I would go with a cold air intake and a tune, or exhaust.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Tune for me,,I knew it was going to b a long time to get my supercharger..Personally the tune is acually already in the car,,its the way it should run anyway..The factory setting suck,,exspecialy if its a auto,,that soft slippy shift is not great on the clutches
Old 09-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I've read that bama tunes are a pretty easy way to get immediate HP and torque in just 20 minutes. Not sure what the deal is entirely though, I'd prefer to hear from someone who used the bama tune first.

Seems too easy, if true.
Klaximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaximilian
I've read that bama tunes are a pretty easy way to get immediate HP and torque in just 20 minutes. Not sure what the deal is entirely though, I'd prefer to hear from someone who used the bama tune first.

Seems too easy, if true.
Bama is one of the easiest tunes out there and their warranty and service is top notch... So definitely check out AMs website for more info on tuning
Old 09-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

How bout that short ow shifter , would that void the tranny warranty?.? I dont see how that shifter could affect the transmition but i could imagine the dealer would try to use that excuse to waive the warranty.... I bet the short trow with the 3.73 would be a lot of fun , plus i love how the shift knob looks also
Villero1834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:32 PM   #15

Thanks for all the feedback! I am leaning towards a Bama/CAI combo from AM as my first step. I agree, the automatic transmission factory settings are the only thing I don't like about the car. Hopefully the tuner tightens it up.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Thanks for all the feedback! I am leaning towards a Bama/CAI combo from AM as my first step. I agree, the automatic transmission factory settings are the only thing I don't like about the car. Hopefully the tuner tightens it up.
Im not sure on the newer ones..But on my year,,you have the option of shift pressures,,,love it..
Old 10-01-2012, 04:26 PM   #17
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Looking for suggestion on very first performance mod? Have stock 2012 GT. Thanks-
Quote:
Buster,

I always recommend the CAI/Bama Custom tune combo to anyone entering the modification game. I would recommend going with a Airaid CAI and Bama SCT custom tuner. On the 11+ Gt's these two simple install modifications will really wake your Coyote up. You'll see peak gains of 60RWHP and 58RWTQ!

Here's a little bit about how we write our tunes! For every Bama Tune we ask you 19 questions about your specific Mustang, including your unique mods and style of driving. This info helps us write custom tunes from the ground-up for your Mustang's mods that will give you the most horsepower that we can safely deliver. We're also constantly developing our tunes! Between our 14 different Project Mustangs and tons of street/track and dyno testing (on our in-house Dynojet 224xLC), we're looking for any minor tweaks to be made that can benefit you guys. We're also part of Fords Technology Transfer Program & Work very closely with Ford to insure that all of our tunes are perfect!

Another great benefit to ordering with Bama is our free tunes for life program. Anytime you add a new modification all you have to do is hit us up and we'll send you out a revision within 24 hours! This is just the beginning of what Bama has to offer you, let me know if you have any questions!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Amdanbailer, is there any difference in the airaid and all the other CAI 's? Or do they all pretty much have the same gains?
Jrsgrabber50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #19
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsgrabber50 View Post
Amdanbailer, is there any difference in the airaid and all the other CAI 's? Or do they all pretty much have the same gains?
Great question! All of the CAI systems are definitely comparable in power gains, obviously the finishes are different. Airaid, JLT, BBk, Steeda etc.. all make top of line Cold Air Intakes and will make within a few horsepower of each other. I recommend the Airaid to the OP mainly because it's my personal favorite, this is just my opinion! I love the sleek look and just simple finish. Some people like a polished tubing etc.. so then maybe the Steeda/BBk would be for them!

I hope this helps clear things up. Let me know if you have any questions!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:54 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark
I would go with a cold air intake and a tune, or exhaust.
Would you have any suggestions on the intake?
Tatsumake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:05 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsumake View Post
Would you have any suggestions on the intake?
Honestly they're all the same ... cosmetic only. The gains are from the tune, not the CAI. If you like the way they look/sound, then go for it... it's your money.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT