Tuner help - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcowboy View Post

No issues either... Been about 9 months on 93 Race and 1 on 93 Hybrid.

And I do push the car often!!! Loads of fun!
The hybrid tune is freaking awesome. Very aggressive in performance and the car pulls way harder than the other tunes. I can say the tuner has ran perfect. I recall hearing some past issues with the 11 5.0's but not the 11 v6's and nothing recent .
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
The hybrid tune is freaking awesome. Very aggressive in performance and the car pulls way harder than the other tunes. I can say the tuner has ran perfect. I recall hearing some past issues with the 11 5.0's but not the 11 v6's and nothing recent .
I've got 13 months with 10 of them on a 93 race, 2 on 93 street and about 1 on 93 hybrid.

You can see from the Dyno I did my torque almost meets my HP from the hybrid tune.

Hybrid has been the best so far! Now I just need better tires, LCA, UCA, and such so I stop breaking the back end out!
Old 01-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

I've got 13 months with 10 of them on a 93 race, 2 on 93 street and about 1 on 93 hybrid.

You can see from the Dyno I did my torque almost meets my HP from the hybrid tune.

Hybrid has been the best so far! Now I just need better tires, LCA, UCA, and such so I stop breaking the back end out!
What gears you have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
So I'm assuming most of the previous problems with the 5.0's have been worked through now?
BigHead2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHead2010 View Post
So I'm assuming most of the previous problems with the 5.0's have been worked through now?
Yep.. And as I stated, the problems even then were rare... 2013s had some small tune issues as well, but that's been worked through.

You won't have any issues as long as you go with a reputable tuner (albeit dyno or mail order like Bama, brenspeed, evolution, etc).

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcowboy View Post

Yep.. And as I stated, the problems even then were rare... 2013s had some small tune issues as well, but that's been worked through.

You won't have any issues as long as you go with a reputable tuner (albeit dyno or mail order like Bama, brenspeed, evolution, etc).
Ya I have the jlt/bama tune combo coming in tomorrow afternoon so. Was the tune pretty straight forward as far as install?
Old 01-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

Ya I have the jlt/bama tune combo coming in tomorrow afternoon so. Was the tune pretty straight forward as far as install?
Yep... Once the tune is on the tuner device, simply plug the tuner into the OBDIi plug and follow the instructions. DO NOT UNPLUG UNTIL IT TELLS YOU!! Takes about 20 minutes or so.

The hardest part for me was dealing with the SCT PC software to get the mail order tunes set up on the tuner... It fought with me the first couple of times... I think it was brutal till SCT updated their PC software.

Bama will include file transfer instructions.

No biggie anymore.

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What gears you have?
3.73 gears now for about 10 months, the other 12ish i've had the car were 3.31 gears.

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

Quote:
after you install your first tune, take your tuner in the house and backup your stock tune! thank me later if something gets borked by accident.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My understanding is yes. The 5.0's were have a issue with the #8 cylinder back in 2011. That's a thing of the past. AM has this down to a science. I have not heard of any problems with the sct bama tuners anymore or issues with the vehicle because of the tunes.

Just remember, before loading your new updated tunes you have to return your vehicle back to stock. Plug your tuner into the computer and check for updates. Mine needed to be updated and needed about 600 files. Piece of cake.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

My understanding is yes. The 5.0's were have a issue with the #8 cylinder back in 2011. That's a thing of the past. AM has this down to a science. I have not heard of any problems with the sct bama tuners anymore or issues with the vehicle because of the tunes.
Well don't forget that the #8 cylinder issue was happening on stock cars too...
Old 01-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well don't forget that the #8 cylinder issue was happening on stock cars too...
True and that's a thing of the past. I think a performance tuner is the best mod a person can do for the money. Huge power gains for under $400 dollars. Crazy how it transforms the car into a different beast. Changing the shift points and throttle response. Amazing how it just enhances what the car already has. The tuner just unleashes the cars full power and potential that has been bogged down by Ford. It is able to maximize the full 305 HP and 280 torque which was being wasted and much unused power because of government fuel restrictions and CAFE CRAP.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Just remember, before loading your new updated tunes you have to return your vehicle back to stock. Plug your tuner into the computer and check for updates. Mine needed to be updated and needed about 600 files. Piece of cake.
Do I need to plug it in the computer straight outta the box to update before trying to install the tunes that come on it to my car? I know I do after I tune my car for the first time so the stock tune is saved to the computer as well.

Just didn't know if I should update the tuner before the first install or go straight outta the box to the car?

And if I'm correct only return it to stock if I plan on updating/changing the tunes the programmer came loaded with, otherwise it's fine to plug the tuner into the computer software as long as I'm not updating/changing my tunes?

Sorry I'm a noob when it comes to the stang game
Old 01-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Do I need to plug it in the computer straight outta the box to update before trying to install the tunes that come on it to my car? I know I do after I tune my car for the first time so the stock tune is saved to the computer as well.

Just didn't know if I should update the tuner before the first install or go straight outta the box to the car?

And if I'm correct only return it to stock if I plan on updating/changing the tunes the programmer came loaded with, otherwise it's fine to plug the tuner into the computer software as long as I'm not updating/changing my tunes?

Good questions brother. No need to update your sct bama tuner when you first get it. AM sends it locked and loaded with your custom tunes and the most up to date software. Once you get it from AM the first time all you do is plug it in to the stang and upload the tune you want.

Any time after the first install then you would turn you car back to stock. Update the tuner. Load the new tunes from AM onto the tuner and again plug and upload. You have to return the car back to stock prior to connecting the tuner up to the computer. This is only for new tunes down the road.

This feature is for people who add mods to there car and need a new tune to fit those mods. Example would be say 6 months from now you add new gears, headers, x pipe and CAI. You will need new tunes to compliment your sweet a$$ mod additions. Plus your computer needs to be changed to work properly with the new mods. You also maximize your cars full potential. You won't regret buying this. The tuner really transforms your vehicle. It just unleashes the cars full potential for the power it was given. You maximize that full HP and torque.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

yeah I would, I did, and there was a newer update. I would bet Bama updates the tuner when they send them out, along with any other company, but in the few days it gets processed and shipped it could go out of date, so no reason not too. Also I think some places send you the tune and tuner seperate, so you'll have to plug it into the PC anyway.

Also yes you you can plug the tuner into the computer while your car is tuned, but definitely don't update it (I don't think it lets you, but I haven't and won't try) while your car is tuned.

Also, a heads up too, if you do take the car to a dealership for anything, make sure to either tell them it is tuned or return it to stock. Some dealerships don't care, but if they force the ECU to stock while the car is tuned, you will have to pay SCT to unlock the tuner from being married to your car, so it can retune your car. Think it is like 75 bucks.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Good questions brother. No need to update your sct bama tuner when you first get it. AM sends it locked and loaded with your custom tunes and the most up to date software. Once you get it from AM the first time all you do is plug it in to the stang and upload the tune you want.

Any time after the first install then you would turn you car back to stock. Update the tuner. Load the new tunes from AM onto the tuner and again plug and upload. You have to return the car back to stock prior to connecting the tuner up to the computer. This is only for new tunes down the road. thus feature is for people who add mods to there car and need a new tune to fit the car. Example would be say 6 months from now you add new gears, headers, x pipe and CAI. You will need new tunes to compliment your sweet a$$ mod additions. Plus your computer needs to be changed to work properly with the new mods. You also maximize your cars full potential. You won't regret buying this. The tuner really transforms your vehicle. It just unleashes the cars full potential for the power it was given. You maximize that full HP and torque.
Thanks for the info man helps a lot. Ya as SOON as my income tax comes in, I'm doin' lt's, probably go with catted x and borla s type axleback I have pypes pype bomb now but, to say the least. It was $300 for some sound nothing fancy

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

Quote:

yeah I would, I did, and there was a newer update. I would bet Bama updates the tuner when they send them out, along with any other company, but in the few days it gets processed and shipped it could go out of date, so no reason not too. Also I think some places send you the tune and tuner seperate, so you'll have to plug it into the PC anyway.

Also yes you you can plug the tuner into the computer while your car is tuned, but definitely don't update it (I don't think it lets you, but I haven't and won't try) while your car is tuned.

Also, a heads up too, if you do take the car to a dealership for anything, make sure to either tell them it is tuned or return it to stock. Some dealerships don't care, but if they force the ECU to stock while the car is tuned, you will have to pay SCT to unlock the tuner from being married to your car, so it can retune your car. Think it is like 75 bucks.
So anytime I go to Ford for even an oil change I need to do this? Guess it would be a good time to check for updates on the Tuner. I know 2/3 of the service people and have 4 or 5 friends that work their that are as into modding theirs as I am so they may be cool. Guess we'll see. Hopefully if y'all are right and the bugs are out of the '11 5.0'a for the most part, oil change is all ill have to worry about.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks for the info man helps a lot. Ya as SOON as my income tax comes in, I'm doin' lt's, probably go with catted x and borla s type axleback I have pypes pype bomb now but, to say the least. It was $300 for some sound nothing fancy

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 PM ----------

So anytime I go to Ford for even an oil change I need to do this? Guess it would be a good time to check for updates on the Tuner. I know 2/3 of the service people and have 4 or 5 friends that work their that are as into modding theirs as I am so they may be cool. Guess we'll see. Hopefully if y'all are right and the bugs are out of the '11 5.0'a for the most part, oil change is all ill have to worry about.
I would think for a oil change, Ford would not be setting your computer back to stock but just in case not a bad idea to tell them your car is tuned. I'm not sure why Ford service would be even messing with the ECU for a oil change.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

well if you tell them you are tuned you are good, generally just an oil change wouldn't be a big deal, someone on here had it happen tho, where they updated the ECU on him during normal maintenance and of course that unpairs the tuner and then you have to have it unlocked.

My dealership doesn't care I tune the car, so I just remind them it is tuned, and leave the tuner on the seat, so if they need to untune it they can, but I also don't have cats so if I tune back to stock I get the check engine light coming on complaining about the O2 sensors.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I would think for a oil change, Ford would not be setting your computer back to stock but just in case not a bad idea to tell them your car is tuned. I'm not sure why Ford service would be even messing with the ECU for a oil change.
Me either. I have a couple friends at Ford so maybe I can get by with it. As long as, like I said, the 5.0 Bama Tunes for '11 are about perfect down according to AM, I feel a little better about doing it.

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

Quote:

well if you tell them you are tuned you are good, generally just an oil change wouldn't be a big deal, someone on here had it happen tho, where they updated the ECU on him during normal maintenance and of course that unpairs the tuner and then you have to have it unlocked.

My dealership doesn't care I tune the car, so I just remind them it is tuned, and leave the tuner on the seat, so if they need to untune it they can, but I also don't have cats so if I tune back to stock I get the check engine light coming on complaining about the O2 sensors.
Ya I don't think my buddy's would mess with it, 2 or 3 of the ones that work on it are friends working at ford so. I can't wait now. Hopefully everything works out fine with no problems, I pray it does anyway.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Me either. I have a couple friends at Ford so maybe I can get by with it. As long as, like I said, the 5.0 Bama Tunes for '11 are about perfect down according to AM, I feel a little better about doing it.

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

Ya I don't think my buddy's would mess with it, 2 or 3 of the ones that work on it are friends working at ford so. I can't wait now. Hopefully everything works out fine with no problems, I pray it does anyway.
I wouldn't worry about it at all, the risks really pretty low, specially now. In all my time on these forums (which I realize I have only been a member since oct, but lurked for far longer) I don't think i have ever seen anybody have anything actually happen from anyones tunes, minus maybe the tune had a small error in it, which I did have once from Bama, literally talked with one of the AM guys on here, and had new tunes the next day. Also if you need new tunes, literally going on line and ordering the $0.00 tunes for life, or calling over the phone, and they send them pretty fast. I've gotten tunes I ordered the day before at 5-6p.m. the next day at 11-12 a.m. and I am in the same time zone as them.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I wouldn't worry about it at all, the risks really pretty low, specially now. In all my time on these forums (which I realize I have only been a member since oct, but lurked for far longer) I don't think i have ever seen anybody have anything actually happen from anyones tunes, minus maybe the tune had a small error in it, which I did have once from Bama, literally talked with one of the AM guys on here, and had new tunes the next day. Also if you need new tunes, literally going on line and ordering the $0.00 tunes for life, or calling over the phone, and they send them pretty fast. I've gotten tunes I ordered the day before at 5-6p.m. the next day at 11-12 a.m. and I am in the same time zone as them.
Bro, AM IS SO FREAKING AWESOME. I called today around 9 a.m. and put in my new order for tunes. Had the new tunes at 2 p.m. today. Now that's awesome fast. Almost as fast as they made my pony. Lol

This is the second time I changed my tunes and both times got the new tunes the same day. For me, I only order from AM. Some items may be a little more but I'll pay for the top service you get. AM stands behind there products and that's more important to me than price.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Bro, AM IS SO FREAKING AWESOME. I called today around 9 a.m. and put in my new order for tunes. Had the new tunes at 2 p.m. today. Now that's awesome fast. Almost as fast as they made my pony. Lol

This is the second time I changed my tunes and both times got the new tunes the same day. For me, I only order from AM. Some items may be a little more but I'll pay for the top service you get. AM stands behind there products and that's more important to me than price.
Hell ya bro! AM is the best site in my opinion I won't order from anywhere else. But as long as the tunes are good now I'm set on doing it so.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

-nosympathy

I know it's completely off topic but lookin' at full exhaust, keepin' the cats, hopefully Catted X-Pipe, and MBRP Axle Back? I like the deep tone while driving but I like that raspy race car growl.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
-nosympathy

I know it's completely off topic but lookin' at full exhaust, keepin' the cats, hopefully Catted X-Pipe, and MBRP Axle Back? I like the deep tone while driving but I like that raspy race car growl.
Honestly never heard the MBRP, but just looking at them, you'll have to change more than just the x pipe, you would need new over the axle pipes too.

The cars stock exhaust is 3" header ends to 3" h pipe that changes too 2.75" over axle pipes and 2.75" mufflers. THe MBRP are 3".

I have in person only heard the Roush, and the Borla Stingers. The roush are somewhat deep and rasp really well, and won't drone with cats. YOu would not like the stingers tho, no rasp at all.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Honestly never heard the MBRP, but just looking at them, you'll have to change more than just the x pipe, you would need new over the axle pipes too.

The cars stock exhaust is 3" header ends to 3" h pipe that changes too 2.75" over axle pipes and 2.75" mufflers. THe MBRP are 3".

I have in person only heard the Roush, and the Borla Stingers. The roush are somewhat deep and rasp really well, and won't drone with cats. YOu would not like the stingers tho, no rasp at all.
I have heard the stingers, I do like the axleback kit, so I may just get that kit catback
Old 01-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have heard the stingers, I do like the axleback kit, so I may just get that kit catback
Having come across other mustangs I am sure I have heard some of the other big names, like magneflow, bassani etc. I've heard some mustangs that I couldn't place the exhaust on, never liked any of them like I like the Stingers. By far my favorite sound for the car.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #61

Region: Connecticut
I am new to this so I dont know if I'm doing it wright, but i have a question about the sct tuner. My friend is selling his sct 3015 tuner and says that it is unlocked and unmarried. However I have an intake and exhaust as of now. Will I have to call up sct to download tunes for that? and if I do buy it do you think the street race and performance tune will automatically be on it? or is that somthing I should ask him.
Stang_lover00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang_lover00 View Post
I am new to this so I dont know if I'm doing it wright, but i have a question about the sct tuner. My friend is selling his sct 3015 tuner and says that it is unlocked and unmarried. However I have an intake and exhaust as of now. Will I have to call up sct to download tunes for that? and if I do buy it do you think the street race and performance tune will automatically be on it? or is that somthing I should ask him.
I assume you would have to pay the $150 for the free tunes for like program, then either go to am and buy the link for them to send you the form to your email for it which is free after you pay the $150 or call them to have them make tunes to send to your email
Old 01-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #63

Quote:

I assume you would have to pay the $150 for the free tunes for like program, then either go to am and buy the link for them to send you the form to your email for it which is free after you pay the $150 or call them to have them make tunes to send to your email
Ok i'll give am a call would they still tune it for me even tho i diddnt buy it from them?
Old 01-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Don't call SCT for the tune. Their base tunes suck. And are on the ragged edge. Call a reputable company like VMP, Lund, Amazon, or AED.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #65
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Don't call SCT for the tune. Their base tunes suck. And are on the ragged edge. Call a reputable company like VMP, Lund, Amazon, or AED.
I keep hearing about amazon, there's no way were talking about amazon.com are we?

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
I keep hearing about amazon, there's no way were talking about amazon.com are we?
No LOL. Amazon Tuning.
You don't hear much about them like others but their tunes are pretty good. I've datalogged them for someone and I liked what I saw.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #67

Quote:
No LOL. Amazon Tuning.
You don't hear much about them like others but their tunes are pretty good. I've datalogged them for someone and I liked what I saw.
No american muscle lol
Old 01-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang_lover00 View Post

Ok i'll give am a call would they still tune it for me even tho i diddnt buy it from them?
Ya don't call SCT LOL he's right their tunes aren't worth it. You could go and have any custom tuning company ( bama, Lund, lethal, etc ) and they'll hook you up
Old 01-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Just an FYI but Lund tunes for Lethal.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #70
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
No LOL. Amazon Tuning.
Ok, haha I didn't think so.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT