2010 Mustang GT - need mod suggestions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: California
Posts: 6
2010 Mustang GT - need mod suggestions

hi my dad just bought me a 2010 mustang gt. I was hoping for a 2011 5.0 but oh well its still a nice *** car. it just has kinda low hp/toque and i was wondering what are the best ways to boost it up i want it closer to 400 or up. what is the best and cheapest ways i could do that? Thanks. It means alot dont be shy
kwa94 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-30-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
SolidRRaxle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 517
Post this in the 05-09 section for specifics. U have the middle child there, new skin old heart.

Anyway, CAI, full exhaust with an H pipe and a tune. Probably best bang for your buck
SolidRRaxle is offline  
Old 09-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 525
nitrious,,probably the cheapest,,im saving to supercharge myself..A tune and a set of 373 gears will help alot..Thats probably in the 500 dollar range,,if you set up the gears yourself,,and a little more for someone to set it up..Then maybe a CAI,and a larger throttle body..That will let you catch up with a stock 5.0,,i think..Theres alot of potential for the 4.6

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidRRaxle View Post
Post this in the 05-09 section for specifics. U have the middle child there, new skin old heart.

Anyway, CAI, full exhaust with an H pipe and a tune. Probably best bang for your buck
I dont care for the new skin,,but i love that 5.0..We have the govt fleet 5.0 in our trucks and they will fly
__________________
mymustang is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-01-2012, 03:46 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
MedicDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boynton Beach, FL
Region: Florida
Posts: 256
Your going to need a CAI, tune, high flow mids and exhaust to start
MedicDave is offline  
Old 10-01-2012, 03:51 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
MedicDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Boynton Beach, FL
Region: Florida
Posts: 256
You will get some pretty good power from a spray kit, just be careful you don't over do it, if you start to go over 450 hp your going to strain your internals. I have a 10 and I love mine, that 4.6 is a pretty solid engine and has good potential. Congrats on your new stang.
MedicDave is offline  
Old 10-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
CZYFAST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: California
Posts: 419
It just depends on how much you want to spend because the more power you make the more you need to upgrade. I have modified mine so much its not really a 2010 anymore lol. I make over 500hp/tq with many many mods. So its just a matter of how much you are willing to spend?
__________________

IN SALEEN WE TRUST!!!
CZYFAST is offline  
Old 10-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #7
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidRRaxle View Post
Post this in the 05-09 section for specifics. U have the middle child there, new skin old heart.

Anyway, CAI, full exhaust with an H pipe and a tune. Probably best bang for your buck
Actually, he did post in the right section.

But, what you say is true. To find out what's best for the 3v 4.6L, you should take a look in the 2005-2009 section for engine modding tips.
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline  
Old 10-01-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

Actually, he did post in the right section.

But, what you say is true. To find out what's best for the 3v 4.6L, you should take a look in the 2005-2009 section for engine modding tips.
The only info of value for a 2010 owner here is appearance mods. In 2011 the engine, subframe, transmission, driveshaft, springs, struts, strut mounts, brakes, and power steering assemblies were all replaced. There are probably more things that I'm leaving off this list, but about the only thing the 10 and 11 have in common (mechanically) is the solid rear axle.
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline  
Old 10-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
CZYFAST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: California
Posts: 419
Well there are guys with 2010's in here that have done some heavy mods like myself so if he would like to know anything then I would be more then happy to explain what I've done with mine!
__________________

IN SALEEN WE TRUST!!!
CZYFAST is offline  
Old 10-01-2012, 10:19 AM   #10
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post

The only info of value for a 2010 owner here is appearance mods. In 2011 the engine, subframe, transmission, driveshaft, springs, struts, strut mounts, brakes, and power steering assemblies were all replaced. There are probably more things that I'm leaving off this list, but about the only thing the 10 and 11 have in common (mechanically) is the solid rear axle.
True. Be that as it may, OP's post is in the right section. I'm not sure why we our sectioned that way given the differences, but it is what it is.
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline  
Old 10-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

True. Be that as it may, OP's post is in the right section. I'm not sure why we our sectioned that way given the differences, but it is what it is.
That's a can of worms that you don't want to open... trust me. We weren't saying the OP was in the wrong section, just making sure he can get the help he needs. Many of us here aren't too familiar with the 3V platform.
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline  
Old 10-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #12
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post

That's a can of worms that you don't want to open... trust me. We weren't saying the OP was in the wrong section, just making sure he can get the help he needs. Many of us here aren't too familiar with the 3V platform.
Right on!
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline  
Old 10-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
SolidRRaxle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 517
This is my mistake. I meant he should post in both. A 'as well', 'too' or 'also' was in order.
SolidRRaxle is offline  
Old 10-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #14
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: California
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZYFAST View Post
Well there are guys with 2010's in here that have done some heavy mods like myself so if he would like to know anything then I would be more then happy to explain what I've done with mine!
Thank you. yeah i really was looking for a 400+ range for my mustang and i am just about to turn 18, so not alot of cash. so any advise would be very helpful. and im sorry if i sound stupid, it is my first car that i wan to mess with anything but sound system and looks. so your advice would be very helpful. i just love fast cars and i wanna get into upgraded the performance now. so since you know what to do on the 2010.....ideas ahah?
kwa94 is offline  
Old 10-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwa94 View Post
Thank you. yeah i really was looking for a 400+ range for my mustang and i am just about to turn 18, so not alot of cash. so any advise would be very helpful. and im sorry if i sound stupid, it is my first car that i wan to mess with anything but sound system and looks. so your advice would be very helpful. i just love fast cars and i wanna get into upgraded the performance now. so since you know what to do on the 2010.....ideas ahah?
If you're new to modding cars, the first thing you need to do is get a tune from a tuner that is great to work with like American Muscle. Then get some wider wheels with better tires, that will give you a taste of what's to come. After that you can work on the big stuff like gears, UDP (underdrive pulley), suspension, and maybe even a supercharger down the road.

Take my advice and dip into this slowly, especially if this is your daily driver. It's worth taking your time to learn what you are doing, and not having to learn by breaking your car on Sunday night when you needed to drive it to work on Monday morning.
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline  
Old 10-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #16
Lorraine's driver

Regular
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 7,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post

If you're new to modding cars, the first thing you need to do is get a tune from a tuner that is great to work with like American Muscle. Then get some wider wheels with better tires, that will give you a taste of what's to come. After that you can work on the big stuff like gears, UDP (underdrive pulley), suspension, and maybe even a supercharger down the road.

Take my advice and dip into this slowly, especially if this is your daily driver. It's worth taking your time to learn what you are doing, and not having to learn by breaking your car on Sunday night when you needed to drive it to work on Monday morning.
+1 By learning as much as possible can save you some money so you waste it on useless mods.
__________________
Instagram: @ab_mach1
ab_mach1 is offline  
Old 10-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #17
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: California
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
If you're new to modding cars, the first thing you need to do is get a tune from a tuner that is great to work with like American Muscle. Then get some wider wheels with better tires, that will give you a taste of what's to come. After that you can work on the big stuff like gears, UDP (underdrive pulley), suspension, and maybe even a supercharger down the road.

Take my advice and dip into this slowly, especially if this is your daily driver. It's worth taking your time to learn what you are doing, and not having to learn by breaking your car on Sunday night when you needed to drive it to work on Monday morning.

what if i was to take it to a shop or something like another person working on it what else would u do? just seeing my options
kwa94 is offline  
Old 10-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #18
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 5,980
Full exhaust,tune and CAI is gonna get you right around 300RWHP give or take. Throw some cams and a dyno tune and you could see 360.
DDTCM is offline  
Old 10-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwa94 View Post
what if i was to take it to a shop or something like another person working on it what else would u do? just seeing my options
I would do it myself, but that's me. I can't stand the thought of other people messing with my car. I hate having to take it in for an alignment since I don't have the equipment to do it myself. Hell, I put my car up on jack stands and took my mechanic the spring/strut assembly and new springs and had him change them out, rather than having the springs installed myself.

I guess you could say I'm a Do-It-Yourselfer... I like being able to show people my car and tell them that "I built that."

But, if you don't mind paying someone else to do the work than it's a good option. Just make sure you know what you are getting into. There are a lot of expensive and labor intensive parts that shops would love to sell you that provide small gains. Be informed and don't get ripped off.
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline  
Old 10-02-2012, 01:38 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
CZYFAST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: California
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwa94

Thank you. yeah i really was looking for a 400+ range for my mustang and i am just about to turn 18, so not alot of cash. so any advise would be very helpful. and im sorry if i sound stupid, it is my first car that i wan to mess with anything but sound system and looks. so your advice would be very helpful. i just love fast cars and i wanna get into upgraded the performance now. so since you know what to do on the 2010.....ideas ahah?
Well first I do agree the first thing is cold air intake and tuner package this way you have the programmer for future mods. I would then suggest better gears maybe 3.73 or 4.10 if you want a snappy car to mess around with. With new gears I would put in a eaton differential along with a ford racing or TA performance differential cover/girdle. This way you don't have to dig into the rear end again unless you put upgraded axles in. Then I would maybe put a short shifter in or if its an auto then look into a torque converter with a 2800 or 3,000 stall. I would build the rear end, I learned the hard way a few weeks ago already lol but after all that is done then look into cams and maybe a supercharger but if you plan on getting a supercharger wait on the cams cause you will want a blower grind cam. I wouldn't recommend getting underdrive pullies unless you plan to stay NA then you could I guess? But just know 450hp is pretty much your max when it comes to the stock internals. So just get a tuner and cold air intake and then build your car from rear to front and you will have a fun car and a beast when you are done!!!
__________________

IN SALEEN WE TRUST!!!
CZYFAST is offline  
Old 10-02-2012, 02:15 AM   #21
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: California
Posts: 228
Coyote swap that 2010
Mustang_5.0 is offline  
Old 10-02-2012, 02:20 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
Screw the coyote engine lol and put in a 5.8 lol jk jk. If you say you're low on funds then 400hp is a bit away. With just intake exhaust and tune you're already over a grand and barely at 300hp
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline  
Old 10-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #23
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: California
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
Screw the coyote engine lol and put in a 5.8 lol jk jk. If you say you're low on funds then 400hp is a bit away. With just intake exhaust and tune you're already over a grand and barely at 300hp
the stock hp on my car is 315... what do you mean barely 300 hp??
kwa94 is offline  
Old 10-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwa94

the stock hp on my car is 315... what do you mean barely 300 hp??
315 to the crank. To the wheels you might be at 270-280. Intake exhaust and tune and u can get maybe 20-30 hp so around 300 to the wheela
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline  
Old 10-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #25
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831

315 to the crank. To the wheels you might be at 270-280. Intake exhaust and tune and u can get maybe 20-30 hp so around 300 to the wheela
^ this. Every car guy (or girl) everywhere, muscle or JDM, goes by whp, not crank hp
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is online now  
Old 10-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #26
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: California
Posts: 6
ok that makes sense
kwa94 is offline  
Old 10-02-2012, 11:17 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
doug5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: California
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwa94
hi my dad just bought me a 2010 mustang gt. I was hoping for a 2011 5.0 but oh well its still a nice *** car. it just has kinda low hp/toque and i was wondering what are the best ways to boost it up i want it closer to 400 or up. what is the best and cheapest ways i could do that? Thanks. It means alot dont be shy
Stickers... Lots of stickers. LOL. What a first car! You're lucky and don't get caught up in 5.0 envy! You got a kick a$$ ride. Start small and work your way up: CAI, tune, maybe headers and H/X pipe. You may find that you're happy with it after that, but start at the place where you can get the best gains for your dollar. Welcome and have fun!
__________________

CURRENT: 2016 GTPP, Vortech, Ford/Borla cat back, 1" drop on Vogtland, 1" Hubcentric spacers, APR Front Splitter, RTR Upper Grille.

SOLD: 2011 5.0, Auto, C&L CAI, Dyno Tuned, 3.73s, Boss 302 Intake, Magnaflow Competition axlebacks, Stallion Suspension LCAs, Whiteline Sway Bars.
doug5.0 is offline  
Old 10-02-2012, 11:59 PM   #28
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: California
Posts: 6
thank you

also does anyone know anyone or anywhere to get a cheap supercharger? used? new?
im just trying to get some ideas to fig out what i want to do
kwa94 is offline  
Old 10-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
CZYFAST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Region: California
Posts: 419
Now now we need to all play nice here, I'm usually the first to throw stones but don't worry about him he must just think his car is king of the road but don't worry their is always someone faster out there. I know this and everyone else does too and if they think they have the fastest then they are dreaming because if you want to go fast then you gotta have money and I don't think too many of us can wipe our butts with hundereds, so just don't worry about it, enjoy your 2010, I love mine like I said, I make some good horsepower to have a lot of fun with but make sure you are smart when it comes to your first mods.
__________________

IN SALEEN WE TRUST!!!
CZYFAST is offline  
Old 10-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
Heartless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Savannah
Region: Georgia
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

Awesome first post. You're going to make a lot of friends that way...

[/sarcasm]
+1
Heartless is offline  
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
2010 mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Valve covers!!! Coreyw428 1996-2004 Mustang GT 22 12-12-2011 11:53 AM
Mach 1 Vs 2010 Mustang Gt phobik General Mustang Discussion 41 11-30-2011 09:20 PM
Intake Suggestions..... Srohda 2011-2014 Mustang GT 42 09-19-2011 04:56 PM
CPO Mustang 2010 GT Premium ??? wickerman 2011-2014 Mustang GT 14 07-11-2011 11:57 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



08:27 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.