2010 Mustang GT - need mod suggestions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #1

Region: California
2010 Mustang GT - need mod suggestions

hi my dad just bought me a 2010 mustang gt. I was hoping for a 2011 5.0 but oh well its still a nice *** car. it just has kinda low hp/toque and i was wondering what are the best ways to boost it up i want it closer to 400 or up. what is the best and cheapest ways i could do that? Thanks. It means alot dont be shy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Post this in the 05-09 section for specifics. U have the middle child there, new skin old heart.

Anyway, CAI, full exhaust with an H pipe and a tune. Probably best bang for your buck
Old 09-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
nitrious,,probably the cheapest,,im saving to supercharge myself..A tune and a set of 373 gears will help alot..Thats probably in the 500 dollar range,,if you set up the gears yourself,,and a little more for someone to set it up..Then maybe a CAI,and a larger throttle body..That will let you catch up with a stock 5.0,,i think..Theres alot of potential for the 4.6

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidRRaxle View Post
Post this in the 05-09 section for specifics. U have the middle child there, new skin old heart.

Anyway, CAI, full exhaust with an H pipe and a tune. Probably best bang for your buck
I dont care for the new skin,,but i love that 5.0..We have the govt fleet 5.0 in our trucks and they will fly

Old 10-01-2012, 03:46 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Your going to need a CAI, tune, high flow mids and exhaust to start
Old 10-01-2012, 03:51 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
You will get some pretty good power from a spray kit, just be careful you don't over do it, if you start to go over 450 hp your going to strain your internals. I have a 10 and I love mine, that 4.6 is a pretty solid engine and has good potential. Congrats on your new stang.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

It just depends on how much you want to spend because the more power you make the more you need to upgrade. I have modified mine so much its not really a 2010 anymore lol. I make over 500hp/tq with many many mods. So its just a matter of how much you are willing to spend?

IN SALEEN WE TRUST!!!
Old 10-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #7
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidRRaxle View Post

Actually, he did post in the right section.

But, what you say is true. To find out what's best for the 3v 4.6L, you should take a look in the 2005-2009 section for engine modding tips.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

Actually, he did post in the right section.

But, what you say is true. To find out what's best for the 3v 4.6L, you should take a look in the 2005-2009 section for engine modding tips.
The only info of value for a 2010 owner here is appearance mods. In 2011 the engine, subframe, transmission, driveshaft, springs, struts, strut mounts, brakes, and power steering assemblies were all replaced. There are probably more things that I'm leaving off this list, but about the only thing the 10 and 11 have in common (mechanically) is the solid rear axle.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Well there are guys with 2010's in here that have done some heavy mods like myself so if he would like to know anything then I would be more then happy to explain what I've done with mine!

IN SALEEN WE TRUST!!!
Old 10-01-2012, 10:19 AM   #10
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post

The only info of value for a 2010 owner here is appearance mods. In 2011 the engine, subframe, transmission, driveshaft, springs, struts, strut mounts, brakes, and power steering assemblies were all replaced. There are probably more things that I'm leaving off this list, but about the only thing the 10 and 11 have in common (mechanically) is the solid rear axle.
True. Be that as it may, OP's post is in the right section. I'm not sure why we our sectioned that way given the differences, but it is what it is.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

True. Be that as it may, OP's post is in the right section. I'm not sure why we our sectioned that way given the differences, but it is what it is.
That's a can of worms that you don't want to open... trust me. We weren't saying the OP was in the wrong section, just making sure he can get the help he needs. Many of us here aren't too familiar with the 3V platform.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #12
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

That's a can of worms that you don't want to open... trust me. We weren't saying the OP was in the wrong section, just making sure he can get the help he needs. Many of us here aren't too familiar with the 3V platform.
Right on!
Old 10-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

This is my mistake. I meant he should post in both. A 'as well', 'too' or 'also' was in order.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZYFAST View Post
Well there are guys with 2010's in here that have done some heavy mods like myself so if he would like to know anything then I would be more then happy to explain what I've done with mine!
Thank you. yeah i really was looking for a 400+ range for my mustang and i am just about to turn 18, so not alot of cash. so any advise would be very helpful. and im sorry if i sound stupid, it is my first car that i wan to mess with anything but sound system and looks. so your advice would be very helpful. i just love fast cars and i wanna get into upgraded the performance now. so since you know what to do on the 2010.....ideas ahah?
Old 10-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwa94 View Post
Thank you. yeah i really was looking for a 400+ range for my mustang and i am just about to turn 18, so not alot of cash. so any advise would be very helpful. and im sorry if i sound stupid, it is my first car that i wan to mess with anything but sound system and looks. so your advice would be very helpful. i just love fast cars and i wanna get into upgraded the performance now. so since you know what to do on the 2010.....ideas ahah?
If you're new to modding cars, the first thing you need to do is get a tune from a tuner that is great to work with like American Muscle. Then get some wider wheels with better tires, that will give you a taste of what's to come. After that you can work on the big stuff like gears, UDP (underdrive pulley), suspension, and maybe even a supercharger down the road.

Take my advice and dip into this slowly, especially if this is your daily driver. It's worth taking your time to learn what you are doing, and not having to learn by breaking your car on Sunday night when you needed to drive it to work on Monday morning.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #16
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

If you're new to modding cars, the first thing you need to do is get a tune from a tuner that is great to work with like American Muscle. Then get some wider wheels with better tires, that will give you a taste of what's to come. After that you can work on the big stuff like gears, UDP (underdrive pulley), suspension, and maybe even a supercharger down the road.

Take my advice and dip into this slowly, especially if this is your daily driver. It's worth taking your time to learn what you are doing, and not having to learn by breaking your car on Sunday night when you needed to drive it to work on Monday morning.
+1 By learning as much as possible can save you some money so you waste it on useless mods.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #17

Quote:

what if i was to take it to a shop or something like another person working on it what else would u do? just seeing my options
Old 10-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #18
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Full exhaust,tune and CAI is gonna get you right around 300RWHP give or take. Throw some cams and a dyno tune and you could see 360.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwa94 View Post
what if i was to take it to a shop or something like another person working on it what else would u do? just seeing my options
I would do it myself, but that's me. I can't stand the thought of other people messing with my car. I hate having to take it in for an alignment since I don't have the equipment to do it myself. Hell, I put my car up on jack stands and took my mechanic the spring/strut assembly and new springs and had him change them out, rather than having the springs installed myself.

I guess you could say I'm a Do-It-Yourselfer... I like being able to show people my car and tell them that "I built that."

But, if you don't mind paying someone else to do the work than it's a good option. Just make sure you know what you are getting into. There are a lot of expensive and labor intensive parts that shops would love to sell you that provide small gains. Be informed and don't get ripped off.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:38 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwa94

Well first I do agree the first thing is cold air intake and tuner package this way you have the programmer for future mods. I would then suggest better gears maybe 3.73 or 4.10 if you want a snappy car to mess around with. With new gears I would put in a eaton differential along with a ford racing or TA performance differential cover/girdle. This way you don't have to dig into the rear end again unless you put upgraded axles in. Then I would maybe put a short shifter in or if its an auto then look into a torque converter with a 2800 or 3,000 stall. I would build the rear end, I learned the hard way a few weeks ago already lol but after all that is done then look into cams and maybe a supercharger but if you plan on getting a supercharger wait on the cams cause you will want a blower grind cam. I wouldn't recommend getting underdrive pullies unless you plan to stay NA then you could I guess? But just know 450hp is pretty much your max when it comes to the stock internals. So just get a tuner and cold air intake and then build your car from rear to front and you will have a fun car and a beast when you are done!!!

IN SALEEN WE TRUST!!!
Old 10-02-2012, 02:15 AM   #21
Road Trip!

Coyote swap that 2010
Old 10-02-2012, 02:20 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Screw the coyote engine lol and put in a 5.8 lol jk jk. If you say you're low on funds then 400hp is a bit away. With just intake exhaust and tune you're already over a grand and barely at 300hp
Old 10-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
Screw the coyote engine lol and put in a 5.8 lol jk jk. If you say you're low on funds then 400hp is a bit away. With just intake exhaust and tune you're already over a grand and barely at 300hp
the stock hp on my car is 315... what do you mean barely 300 hp??
Old 10-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

the stock hp on my car is 315... what do you mean barely 300 hp??
315 to the crank. To the wheels you might be at 270-280. Intake exhaust and tune and u can get maybe 20-30 hp so around 300 to the wheela
Old 10-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #25
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831

315 to the crank. To the wheels you might be at 270-280. Intake exhaust and tune and u can get maybe 20-30 hp so around 300 to the wheela
^ this. Every car guy (or girl) everywhere, muscle or JDM, goes by whp, not crank hp

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 10-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #26

ok that makes sense
Old 10-02-2012, 11:17 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
hi my dad just bought me a 2010 mustang gt. I was hoping for a 2011 5.0 but oh well its still a nice *** car. it just has kinda low hp/toque and i was wondering what are the best ways to boost it up i want it closer to 400 or up. what is the best and cheapest ways i could do that? Thanks. It means alot dont be shy
Stickers... Lots of stickers. LOL. What a first car! You're lucky and don't get caught up in 5.0 envy! You got a kick a$$ ride. Start small and work your way up: CAI, tune, maybe headers and H/X pipe. You may find that you're happy with it after that, but start at the place where you can get the best gains for your dollar. Welcome and have fun!

CURRENT: 2016 GTPP, Vortech, Ford/Borla cat back, 1" drop on Vogtland, 1" Hubcentric spacers, APR Front Splitter, RTR Upper Grille.

SOLD: 2011 5.0, Auto, C&L CAI, Dyno Tuned, 3.73s, Boss 302 Intake, Magnaflow Competition axlebacks, Stallion Suspension LCAs, Whiteline Sway Bars.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:59 PM   #28

thank you

also does anyone know anyone or anywhere to get a cheap supercharger? used? new?
im just trying to get some ideas to fig out what i want to do
Old 10-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Now now we need to all play nice here, I'm usually the first to throw stones but don't worry about him he must just think his car is king of the road but don't worry their is always someone faster out there. I know this and everyone else does too and if they think they have the fastest then they are dreaming because if you want to go fast then you gotta have money and I don't think too many of us can wipe our butts with hundereds, so just don't worry about it, enjoy your 2010, I love mine like I said, I make some good horsepower to have a lot of fun with but make sure you are smart when it comes to your first mods.

IN SALEEN WE TRUST!!!
Old 10-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

Awesome first post. You're going to make a lot of friends that way...

[/sarcasm]
+1
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
2010 mustang