BMR Suspension parts with 1 issue - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-30-2012, 11:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
BMR Suspension parts with 1 issue

So last Sunday I ordered BMR Rear Lower Control Arms with Polyurethane Bushings, BMR Rear Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets, and BMR Upper Control Arm with On-car Adjustable and Polyurethane Bushings. My goal was to stop wheel hop and help with the wheels spinning at the track. The combination of the BMR productions did stop wheel hop and help with traction. I installed all the parts by myself last Friday afternoon in my garage on jack stands. The install of the relocation brackets and LCA’s were pretty easy but the UCA what a pain in the butt that was. There’s almost no room to get a 1 ½ wrench to tighten the jamb nuts on the UCA.

After a short test drive around the block I headed off to a BP gas station to full up and get a car wash then to the drag strip for Friday night drags. When I got inside the car wash is when I had an issue with the driver’s side relocation bracket. I pulled into the car wash and heard a nasty scraping noise and my car came to an abrupt stop. I had only made it about 10 feet into the car wash. I slowly backed out of the car wash still scraping. Once I made it out I could see scrap marks on the top of the car wash driver’s side tire guide rail. I looked under the car at the driver’s side bracket and it looked fine other then the bare metal showing on the bottom of the bracket. With nothing cracked, broken, or ripped off the car I drove to the track.

No wheel hop at all and my car hooked up much better on street tires. I’m very happy with the upgraded parts from BMR.

Today I ended up taking off the relocation brackets and will have to cut at least a 1 ½ off the bottom of the bracket so my car can clear the car wash tire guide rail. I would still highly recommend the BMR Relocation Bracket but just be warned that clearance in gas station car washes could be an issue.
Coyote 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
FYI... The relobrackets should be welded in place. I know their kit says bolt on but it states in fine print that for drag racing they need to be welded. Just not sure if you knew that
Black5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:34 AM   #3
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
I'd be careful going in the gas station car wash even with a stock suspension setup. Many of those car washes are horribly maintained.
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 10:07 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
What kind of grease did u use?
Eacastano7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure
I'd be careful going in the gas station car wash even with a stock suspension setup. Many of those car washes are horribly maintained.
Yep. I don't think I would even consider hacking up a quality part to accommodate a BP car wash either. Find a better car wash... it can't be that good.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Hand wash the car. I would never subject any of my cars to an automated wash.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudermilk
I live in an apartment so that's kinds tough, but I do touch less only.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudermilk View Post
I always hand wash my car. Automated car washes just never seem to get my car completely clean and usually leave streaks, even the touchless ones. Not to mention the time one ripped my antenna off. Gave me an excuse to buy a shorty antenna though haha.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida3.7L

I always hand wash my car. Automated car washes just never seem to get my car completely clean and usually leave streaks. Not to mention the time one ripped my antenna off. Gave me an excuse to buy a shorty antenna though haha.
I keep a large microfiber towel in my trunk for that reason. There are a couple washes here that do get the car clean, and after a wipe down most people think its been hand washed. I've won trophies at car shows this way lol.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudermilk
I don't even hand wash mine. There's a car wash place where the psi is strong and they use scorching hot water. My car has never seen a brush or a mitt the combination of scorching hot water and high pressure takes everything off for me no matter how dirty it gets. It's for the most part a truck wash place
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
...people still use those?
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #12
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Another reason I hand wash is the self-satisfaction that comes with washing the car myself lol
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #13
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Yeah, you gotta avoid the auto wash.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5.0 View Post
FYI... The relobrackets should be welded in place. I know their kit says bolt on but it states in fine print that for drag racing they need to be welded. Just not sure if you knew that
Yes, I did read with drag racing they should be welded but I wasn't for sure if the brackets were going to stay on the car or not. I'm glad I didn't weld them as they are off the car right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eacastano7 View Post
What kind of grease did u use?
My neighbor had some grease he said would work on the poly bushings. I'm not sure what brand the grease was. The tube was inside a grease gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
Yep. I don't think I would even consider hacking up a quality part to accommodate a BP car wash either. Find a better car wash... it can't be that good.
I will cut the brackets off in one piece so if I end up using the bottom holes I can weld the bracket back together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudermilk View Post
I normally do wash the car myself but if I'm in a hurry I use the drive through car wash. Hand washing the car gives me a chance to look for rock chips in the paint that need to be touched up.
Coyote 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #15
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
I go to an automated car wash all the time that is not touch less, I think I've found a gem because my car is always very clean afterwards, they wipe down the vehicle with microfiber towels afterwards. Only $15 too

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote 5
I will cut the brackets off in one piece so if I end up using the bottom holes I can weld the bracket back together.
This is an exceptionally bad idea. I doubt they would hold together... Just trying to make sure you're safe man.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
^ +1 I just installed the same brackets thursday and friday along with other suspl. upgrades. The only welding I would ever consider is the bracket itself with it bolted like it is.Not gonna even do that unless I start doing passes at the prack alot. Not knocking ya man but I don,t like going to any car wash unless its just for a quick vaccum or spraying something under neath.The touch less are not bad accept the high pressure can force water into lights or places water is a NO NO. Anyway hope all is working out well for ya.
2012 Prem. w/ GB insert stripe/stitch , M6,Brembo, 3.73,Stock Air-Box,93-R Tune,Borla Catback w/ X-Pipe,FRPP-"K" Springs,BMR PH Bar,BMR Upper support brace,BMR Reloc. Brackets,CHE Lca's, Koni Struts/Shocks, Jlt cc,Saleen grill, Hydrocarbon Center console/stereo surround,Formula One Tint, MGW w/ speedawg ball match seat inserts,SOS Dual Aeroforce Guages,MT82 Amsoil MTF.METCO Uca/Ucm, Shaftmasters DS
back n a stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I live in an apartment so that's kinds tough, but I do touch less only.
Where is the best touchless wash in Dayton area....I usually hand wash but sometimes time gets away from me.

Gripping the wheel, his knuckles went white with desire! The wheels of his Mustang exploding on the highway like a slug from a .45. True death: 400 horsepower of maximum performance piercing the night...This is Black Sunshine-White Zombie
13BlkSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13BlkSunshine View Post
Where is the best touchless wash in Dayton area....I usually hand wash but sometimes time gets away from me.
In Miamisburg, on 725 right by the train tracks. They even have brushes that you can use to scrub your wheels before you go in!

There is one on Yankee in Centerville/Washington Township, next to the Arby's and Lyons Rd. It does a pretty decent job, but the dryer sucks.

I'm not sure of anything north of town, there's one near my work on SR202 just north of the highway... but I haven't taken the stang through it.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
In Miamisburg, on 725 right by the train tracks. They even have brushes that you can use to scrub your wheels before you go in!

There is one on Yankee in Centerville/Washington Township, next to the Arby's and Lyons Rd. It does a pretty decent job, but the dryer sucks.

I'm not sure of anything north of town, there's one near my work on SR202 just north of the highway... but I haven't taken the stang through it.
Thanks...I am down that way a lot so that works out for me.

Gripping the wheel, his knuckles went white with desire! The wheels of his Mustang exploding on the highway like a slug from a .45. True death: 400 horsepower of maximum performance piercing the night...This is Black Sunshine-White Zombie
Old 10-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13BlkSunshine

Thanks...I am down that way a lot so that works out for me.
Sweet, I live in Washington twp. I'll shoot you a pm next time I'm going to a cruise in or something.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida3.7L
Another reason I hand wash is the self-satisfaction that comes with washing the car myself lol
And having an excuse to take your shirt off
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sweet, I live in Washington twp. I'll shoot you a pm next time I'm going to a cruise in or something.
Awesome!

Old 10-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Hand wash is the only way a true mustang lover would wash his/her car
Bennyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennyhill
Lol, my wheels can only be hand washed so no one washes my car but me.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennyhill View Post
Truth.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennyhill View Post
Agreed and it is the only way I try to wash it....but I want it clean even if I do not have the time to hand wash which is not too often.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT