Burning oil? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Burning oil?

I have a stock 2012 mustang GT with 8500 miles. Had the oil done 3 times already. In the earlier miles i wasnt worried bout burning oil but now that im past 6000 im deff worried. Its always been changed by my dealership so either they arent putting enough in or im burning it.

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

Im not empty just low after about 2000 miles or less. Common problem? Any ideas on what is the cause?
Edens5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edens5
I have a stock 2012 mustang GT with 8500 miles. Had the oil done 3 times already. In the earlier miles i wasnt worried bout burning oil but now that im past 6000 im deff worried. Its always been changed by my dealership so either they arent putting enough in or im burning it.

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

Im not empty just low after about 2000 miles or less. Common problem? Any ideas on what is the cause?
Yea you got a problem you should have the dealership check it out for you they could have over tightened something and cracked something
Old 10-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Are you checking it when you get it back from the dealer? Maybe go full synthetic for far less changes too.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I never checked it wen i got home. I figured a ford tech would know how much oil to put in a car... Ill take it to the dealer but im sure theyll tell me they never underfilled it and that they couldnt find a problem. They dont like fixing things theyve caused
Old 10-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tominkc
Quote:
I never checked it wen i got home. I figured a ford tech would know how much oil to put in a car... Ill take it to the dealer but im sure theyll tell me they never underfilled it and that they couldnt find a problem. They dont like fixing things theyve caused
Go to the dealer and talk with them!! The same thing happened to me twice!! The oil being low!! First time when I bought the car, I got it home and checked the oil. Did not even show on the dip stick!! So I took it back and the tech didn't know it took 8 Qts to fill it when he did the prep for me to pick it up!! The next oil change I checked it right there at the dealership after the oil change . Same thing, no oil on dipstick!! That tech did not know it took 8 Qts. So I check it everytime I have a oil change!!
Tominkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Yeah, I ask b/c of experiences people have reported (like this previous poster ^) of dealerships filling oil to the wrong level. Ive read of several. My dealership overfilled my brake fluid. Not good. (They didnt want to admit it at first either, but I stayed in em.) And if you check it as soon as you get home, youll know for sure and can call back to b*tch. And if they ever did it again after that, Id go elsewhere and tell them why.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Well i hope its someones stupidity and not an issue with my car!
Old 10-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
These cars are known for burning a qt every 1k for the first 10k miles, the 11-12's anyways

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

Check the sticky at the top of the section

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I just went over 5k and just had my 2nd oil change, I get it done every 7 months. After the 1st oil change I had to drop a qt in it. I haven't checked it lately, but I need to. I try to check it often and keep a qt handy.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

A little off topic, sorry. But am I the only one who thinks the location of the dipstick is in a dumb location. You have the strut tower in your way and if you have a strut tower brace its even more of a pain. Then your pulling up and towards the engine your bound to get oil on shtuff. Sorry I changed the subject, had to vent a little.

Continue...
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I put in 8 qts of RP at 6500 miles in my 2012, at 9k now and added 1/2 quart last week.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
We have a whole fleet of 5.0 f150,,and a bunch of them are a little over a quart low between changes,,We change every 4000...I figure it was breaking in,,but some already had a few changes and always been the same
Old 10-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
What viscosity?

I believe I've read on a similar post about a month ago (this forum) that higher viscosities resolve this problem or at least mitigate

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa
A little off topic, sorry. But am I the only one who thinks the location of the dipstick is in a dumb location. You have the strut tower in your way and if you have a strut tower brace its even more of a pain. Then your pulling up and towards the engine your bound to get oil on shtuff. Sorry I changed the subject, had to vent a little.

Continue...
I couldn't find it at first... Was at a gas station and felt like a complete moron for a minute there looking all around the engine bay with the hood up
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa

Continue...
Hah ive had my battles with it. When im in the garage its near impossible to put it back in without a light
Old 10-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominkc

Go to the dealer and talk with them!! The same thing happened to me twice!! The oil being low!! First time when I bought the car, I got it home and checked the oil. Did not even show on the dip stick!! So I took it back and the tech didn't know it took 8 Qts to fill it when he did the prep for me to pick it up!! The next oil change I checked it right there at the dealership after the oil change . Same thing, no oil on dipstick!! That tech did not know it took 8 Qts. So I check it everytime I have a oil change!!
Wow !! Bringing it to a Jiffy Lube would probably be better from what it seems... But around my 1st 4k I was burning around a quart every 1k. I first changed it at 1,300k at the dealer just to get the break-in oil out, and at 4,500 miles I changed the oil again at the dealer (last time, just using the freebies) and since then I haven't burned an ounce of oil and I'm at 8,100k... Even my JLT oil separator had barely anything in there and I always forget to check it... 2 days ago, I finally did it myself and put better oil (Mobil1) and of course added 8 qts
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I have 35000 and it still burns a crap load of oil. Other then the trans and oil burning and stupid seating location and stupid big speaker in the door and stupid steering wheel adjuster tab sticking down and crappy supported seats I like the car.
2011 5.0 Steeda sway bars, panhard, shocks, struts, springs, camber adj, Bump steer kit, Steeda Spyder wheels, Toyo Proxes, AirRaid, SCT, Roush mufflers, JBA X-Pipe and cat del, Boss 302 intake, Baer 6p front and rear with drilled/slotted rotors.
ducatibrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
The dealer should know they all have charts of each motor and car of how much oil... Whatever dealership you guys are going to obviously suck lol I work at one and we get our asses chopped if we told anyone we did an oil change and assumed it took this many qts. well to also clarify its 8 with a fl500 oil filter.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatibrandon View Post
I have 35000 and it still burns a crap load of oil. Other then the trans and oil burning and stupid seating location and stupid big speaker in the door and stupid steering wheel adjuster tab sticking down and crappy supported seats I like the car.
maybe thats not the car for u

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidRRaxle View Post
What viscosity?

I believe I've read on a similar post about a month ago (this forum) that higher viscosities resolve this problem or at least mitigate

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

I couldn't find it at first... Was at a gas station and felt like a complete moron for a minute there looking all around the engine bay with the hood up
I dont know about your warranty,,but if you change the viscosities,,dont change the 5..I run 5w30 in mine..But that shouldnt be the problem,,it was built for 5w20

---------- Post added at 08:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edens5 View Post
Hah ive had my battles with it. When im in the garage its near impossible to put it back in without a light
You ought to try the ford vans,,06 models,,you cant even see it you have to run your hand down and feel for it,,then its 4 feet long ,,by the time you get it out its already ran down the stick..lol..We had this shorter guy at work,,and when he was checking the oil it looked it was longer then he was tall..lol..
Old 10-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang

maybe thats not the car for u

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

I dont know about your warranty,,but if you change the viscosities,,dont change the 5..I run 5w30 in mine..But that shouldnt be the problem,,it was built for 5w20
No. No it was not built for 5w 20. It was 'built for that almost as much as it was built for 'motorcraft'
Case in point, track packs have a required 5w 50. Not because they get an extra bit of oil, but because of the expected use. Averaged out for likely regions (weather) of use, wear (do you drive it like u stole it), mpg and how long between oil changes (sellin a car with 3k intervals is just not acceptable anymore and really hasn't been necessary for some time).

Go up, ur fine... Go down and u will have problems unless u drive it like a baby ALL the time.
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I use 5w-30 once switched to synthetic. No issues here.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidRRaxle

No. No it was not built for 5w 20. It was 'built for that almost as much as it was built for 'motorcraft'
Case in point, track packs have a required 5w 50. Not because they get an extra bit of oil, but because of the expected use. Averaged out for likely regions (weather) of use, wear (do you drive it like u stole it), mpg and how long between oil changes (sellin a car with 3k intervals is just not acceptable anymore and really hasn't been necessary for some time).

Go up, ur fine... Go down and u will have problems unless u drive it like a baby ALL the time.
+1
The Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Buy a catch can and see how much you collect in there. There is a good bit of oil mist that gets sucked into the pcv and into the TB. My JLT oil separator catches a few ounces of Royal Purple 5w20 every couple of weeks. I've got about 3400 miles on the car now.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:13 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidRRaxle View Post

What i meant was it is recommended and there shouldnt be any problems with that viscosity,,You can use a higher viscosity but you should go any higher on the first number (5)..The reason for the 5 w 20 is for the best fuel mileage,,a higher viscosity will reduce the mileage a little..I hear people using a 0w40,,and having no problems,,but i heard of problems people using 10w30..usually valve train isssues,,and they blame it on the 10..
Old 10-05-2012, 08:57 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
The reason for the oil problems of you use a 10w whatever is the oil screen on the VCT Solenoids is very very fine and if you use that thick oil it can't get enough oil through the screen to move the phasers properly.
SSC182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:15 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
+1

Mine did the same. Now at 12,000 miles, no problems with oil consumption. The 1st 2000 miles I lost 4 quarts. I was checking the oil, I noticed and added more. After about 4000 miles, I just changed it. I figured the rings hadn't seated.

I think that is what was happening. No problem now. Always Check your oil when you put gas in it.
InfinibandGT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT