Was so excited, now stuck and frustrated (x pipe and cat delete issue) - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-03-2012, 08:31 AM   #36
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Heartless, way to go above an beyond for this guy

Kudos to you sir

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
No problem guys. I manage a large repair shop so I have a lot of experienced techs and a ton of tools so we are more than happy to help when we can. I guess you can say it's what we do for a living. We help people with automotive problems. So anytime I can u guys I will.
Heartless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I used multiple extensions and a universal swivel, all on 3/8" drive. Yes, there was a ton of flex but its still doable without going out and spending a ton of cash on tools. (Not all of us have a full shop at our disposal) As said above, the penetrating lubricant is key. I used zep as well and it's like magic. Other than that... Just gotta put a massive amount of torque into breaking it loose.
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85
I used multiple extensions and a universal swivel, all on 3/8" drive. Yes, there was a ton of flex but its still doable without going out and spending a ton of cash on tools. (Not all of us have a full shop at our disposal) As said above, the penetrating lubricant is key. I used zep as well and it's like magic. Other than that... Just gotta put a massive amount of torque into breaking it loose.
Ok well i used the fact that i work at a shop to help this guy not for my own benefit. Reading all of his posts in this thread he has obviously tried a lot of different things and he is suggesting a rusted or seized fastener problem. The tech and I thought of this as if we were doing this at home in our driveway. So we did it outside the bay actually using hand tools to try and figure out his issue and help him. I wanted to come up with a solution not just a try harder type of answer. So I obviously understand that not everyone has a shop to use. Which is exactly why I took time out of my day to help someone I've never met. Im also taking into consideration that not every situation is the same when dealing with frustrating car problems and I do not feel that just because some people are successful at doing it a certain way then everyone should be able to do the same. Well no matter how he figures it out I just hope that he does and I hope that taking my time to replicate his situation to come up with an answer helps him.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
Yebbut, aren't these projects just excuses to go buy more toys...I mean tools? Now he has an excuse to go get a long extension AND an impact gun. Win!

BTW, major kudos, Heartless. This kind of support is one of the things that really struck me when I joined the Mustang community.

I'll have to keep that Zep stuff in mind. My PB Blast is about used up. I also wonder if heating the bolt with a small torch might help?
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudermilk

Yebbut, aren't these projects just excuses to go buy more toys...I mean tools? Now he has an excuse to go get a long extension AND an impact gun. Win!

BTW, major kudos, Heartless. This kind of support is one of the things that really struck me when I joined the Mustang community.

I'll have to keep that Zep stuff in mind. My PB Blast is about used up. I also wonder if heating the bolt with a small torch might help?
Absolutely heat will work but it would need to be glowing hot when done since it is grade 8 hardware. It is also in a really tight spot so I personally would not recommend a torch for this one. I'm pretty sure he wont need an impact for this but if you want a good excuse to buy one for future projects then hell yea! A couple guys in the shop have some nasty snap on battery powered impacts. Sooo powerful i never would of thought they would be so good. But holy crap $$$$$$$
Old 10-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless View Post
Ok well i used the fact that i work at a shop to help this guy not for my own benefit. Reading all of his posts in this thread he has obviously tried a lot of different things and he is suggesting a rusted or seized fastener problem. The tech and I thought of this as if we were doing this at home in our driveway. So we did it outside the bay actually using hand tools to try and figure out his issue and help him. I wanted to come up with a solution not just a try harder type of answer. So I obviously understand that not everyone has a shop to use. Which is exactly why I took time out of my day to help someone I've never met. Im also taking into consideration that not every situation is the same when dealing with frustrating car problems and I do not feel that just because some people are successful at doing it a certain way then everyone should be able to do the same. Well no matter how he figures it out I just hope that he does and I hope that taking my time to replicate his situation to come up with an answer helps him.
Sorry i didn't get a chance to respond earlier. I really appreciate you going this far out of your way to help me. The extensions I had that were 3/8 were pretty rickety. I am going to hope that is my issue. I am going to pick up a 24" extension today, along with a 1/2 to 3/8 so I can use my 1/2 breaker bar. I hope to report back good news. As for the Zep 44 where did you say you could buy that at? I checked autozone, advanced auto parts, o'riellys, and napa, and couldn't find it at any of them. I am hoping I won't need it, but just in case!

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudermilk View Post

i wondered about heat too, so I actually started the key, let it run maybe 10 mins, and nothing. The socket was so hot to the touch I couldn't hold it, so I am betting I would have to use a torch, and as said, it wouldn't really fit there. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Heartless, way to go above an beyond for this guy

Kudos to you sir
Yeah this is why I love the mustang community. people like him. You just don't have people like this much anymore. Coming together to support each other for a shared interest.
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless

Simmer down man. All I was getting at is tools are expensive, and some of the stuff you're talking about is hard to find at the local hardware store. I've never seen a 15mm swivel socket sitting on a shelf, and extensions over 20" are hard to come by as well. All I was trying to say was that it is indeed possible with the tools the OP was using.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Simmer down man. All I was getting at is tools are expensive, and some of the stuff you're talking about is hard to find at the local hardware store. I've never seen a 15mm swivel socket sitting on a shelf, and extensions over 20" are hard to come by as well. All I was trying to say was that it is indeed possible with the tools the OP was using.
15mm swivel head available at sears. 24" extension available at auto zone.

I already have the 15mm but need to stop by my local auto zone and get the 24" extension.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy

15mm swivel head available at sears. 24" extension available at auto zone.

I already have the 15mm but need to stop by my local auto zone and get the 24" extension.
Nice, my sears must just blow then. You may still need a second short extension with the 24" one. It's gonna be close!
Old 10-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Nice, my sears must just blow then. You may still need a second short extension with the 24" one. It's gonna be close!
Yeah the sears near me is HUGE. I have a 6" extensions from sears with the sliding lock on it. That sucker is sturdy. Hoping that works together.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yea you may need an extra short extension. We were pretty close to everything with the 26" extension. Also like everyone else has said try to keep it straight as possible. Keep the extension close to the strut tower and make sure you are hold the extension with one hand and push the breaker bar with the other. I would recommend to also kind of do quick short bounces into it while pushing. This will help break it loose.

---------- Post added at 02:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

Quote:

Yeah. Sorry for getting defensive man. I forgot how much gets lost in translation through reading text.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Want to thank everyone for their help, I finally got that POS off, and now I know why it was so hard to remove.

I am going to finish this install and maybe take her for a quick drive, then pictures and my stupid story haha.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
outstanding!!!! i know the feeling. u feel as if youve done sthing great, only to realize your not even halfway through the install
2013_stang_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #50

Region: Michigan
Congrats!! And just want to say glad someone like u is on the forum heartless. Hope I never need your wisdom but its
Nice to know you are here if I do
Halfadeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:51 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_stang_gt View Post
outstanding!!!! i know the feeling. u feel as if youve done sthing great, only to realize your not even halfway through the install
Well i picked up this cool little kit from sears, that is for removing bolts that are rounded. It physically cuts and digs into the bolt as you turn it. First go, that bolt gave way and I had it off. I now sit here, 98% done with the install, happy, and waiting for this tuner to finish formatting and reinstalling the firmware (this will be twice now I have had to do this, with my device...)

Very close to waking the neighbors up...lol...and very close to having to go to work. Feel bad for the neighbors, but I am going to have to make sure my car runs before I have to leave for work haha.

thanks again to everyone for the tips and ideas. Some of them proved very useful.

Hope I can give back as much as I have been given
Old 10-04-2012, 06:05 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

That nut busting tool from autozone is the ****. It was mentioned to me after i was laying on my back for three hours with a blow torch, and everything else u could think of trying to get a cat off. Five mins later the nut was broke in half. This was after i finally got the bolt off that you were having problems with. It was a battle, and i have the scars to show, lol. It all payed off in the end. I hope the same for you. Just return the favor with others. Now, onto getting my headers installed this weekend. Definately going to need some assistance with those.
2013_stang_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:21 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_stang_gt View Post
That nut busting tool from autozone is the ****. It was mentioned to me after i was laying on my back for three hours with a blow torch, and everything else u could think of trying to get a cat off. Five mins later the nut was broke in half. This was after i finally got the bolt off that you were having problems with. It was a battle, and i have the scars to show, lol. It all payed off in the end. I hope the same for you. Just return the favor with others. Now, onto getting my headers installed this weekend. Definately going to need some assistance with those.
Wow I wasn't about to go as far a s a blow torch, but more power to ya, that you did that

Everything is running great. Driving her the half hour to work was amazing. I am going to get in so much trouble tho, she is so ****ing loud haha. Also not sure how I feel about the ghost cams. very cool, but I can understand why it goes through gas like none other. Probably take that tune off soon as I get home today.

Headers? Good luck man, definitely seems like a 2 man job. I don't think I could do those right now. Need to spend a few weeks cooling down from the x pipe.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:01 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via AIM to gregtommy Send a message via Skype™ to gregtommy
Wow what a great read. This is what happens when u don't read threads for a few days although I wouldn't have been too much help since I replaced the manifolds and the stock h at the same time so I only glared at the bolts you had been working with. Glad you had success and enjoying the new sound.

Mustang history started with a 2000 v6, 2003 GT, 2007 GT, 2011 GT, all Black(coincidence)
gregtommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome nosympathy! Glad to hear you got it! Good idea on using that bolt remover tool.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless
Awesome nosympathy! Glad to hear you got it! Good idea on using that bolt remover tool.
Yeah I went to try what you suggested but nobody sold a deeper 15mm pivot socket that the one I already had. I noticed yesterday that the screw must have been getting turned into it, which is prolly why I was getting thrown off. I was, stupidly enough, unscrewing myself off. Since I wasn't reusing the bolt I wasn't worried about tearing it up getting it off. That sucker broke free hella quick with that and the breaker bar.

Thanks again for your help and input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtommy
Wow what a great read. This is what happens when u don't read threads for a few days although I wouldn't have been too much help since I replaced the manifolds and the stock h at the same time so I only glared at the bolts you had been working with. Glad you had success and enjoying the new sound.
Haha that must have been nice. Though I was looking at the header screws and they look like they were in some tight spots too.

Yeah well I was about to give up, thanks to the awesome people here I regained all the motivation needed to make it happen.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Get you a can of Kano Kroil.. Best penetrating oil out there... Spray it on,, wait 30 min. Should come off ..

OrganDonor is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT