GT Acceleration - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
GT Acceleration

Ok, this may come off like a stupid questions, but I must ask. I purchased a 2013 GT in June, it is automatic, so that my wife can occassionaly drive it, when needed. I have noticed when I push it, it hesitates for a few seconds and then takes off, I am just wondering if this is normal. I think it is because automatic doesn't shift gears as fast as manual, but now and days automatic's have been improved. As I mentioned, it is not a huge hesitation, it is probably about 2-3 seconds. Any thoughts or imput?
jrsyedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 08:30 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I think most people will tell you that a good tune would eliminate that problem.
Ucfknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucfknight
I think most people will tell you that a good tune would eliminate that problem.
Agreed. Most times the tunes rewrite the shift points of the mustang.
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Maybe have Ford tune it or adjust it if thats all your concerned about. No since it jeapordizing your warranty over this if your not into modding. Just my opinion
2013_stang_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Turn the traction and stability control off and get back to us on how that feels.

The auto is pretty soft out of the box, though so, don't expect miracles.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO
Turn the traction and stability control off and get back to us on how that feels.
You may have just caused a accident, lol.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I've got an auto too and I know what you're talking about. I have a CAI and tune, just got 3.73 gears and there's still a little lag if I floor it... Not what I've experienced in manuals. I would guess, since I'm certainly not a mechanic, that it takes a couple seconds for the computer to respond to the input and send the signal properly to the transmission on what to do. In a manual, it's different because you're already engaged in 1st and you're manually controlling the shift and transmission engagement points, not a computer. Does this make sense, or am I full of *****? LOL!

CURRENT: 2016 GTPP, Vortech, Ford/Borla cat back, 1" drop on Vogtland, 1" Hubcentric spacers, APR Front Splitter, RTR Upper Grille.

SOLD: 2011 5.0, Auto, C&L CAI, Dyno Tuned, 3.73s, Boss 302 Intake, Magnaflow Competition axlebacks, Stallion Suspension LCAs, Whiteline Sway Bars.
doug5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Mine has a delay between 1st and 2nd at WOT with traction control on and off. With it on it'll delay then chirp the tires. With it off it'll delay then roast the tires. Not sure it my tune needs some adjusting or what.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorDog009
Mine has a delay between 1st and 2nd at WOT with traction control on and off. With it on it'll delay then chirp the tires. With it off it'll delay then roast the tires. Not sure it my tune needs some adjusting or what.
I don't have that delay between 1st and 2nd at WOT unless I'm letting off the throttle at high RPM. Is you're car hanging for a moment at 7,000 before 2nd engages?

CURRENT: 2016 GTPP, Vortech, Ford/Borla cat back, 1" drop on Vogtland, 1" Hubcentric spacers, APR Front Splitter, RTR Upper Grille.

SOLD: 2011 5.0, Auto, C&L CAI, Dyno Tuned, 3.73s, Boss 302 Intake, Magnaflow Competition axlebacks, Stallion Suspension LCAs, Whiteline Sway Bars.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
good ole drive by wire, its in the tune and can be tweeked but that will void the warranty
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

A tune is what I was thinking also, I am in the process in purchasing a Steeda CAI with a tuner from Bama
jrsyedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I have a 07 so it might not even matter to you guys. But i had the same problem, got a tune and fixed it by 1000% shifts are much firmer, throws you in the seat more, and no delay anymore.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

the auto is pretty tame from the factory but with 4 simple mods it will be amazing....cai/tune/3.73 gears/drag radials with this setup you will consistently be able to get low 12s high 11s... on the street an auto will never seem as fast as a manual because of the control factor but it will be faster than the manuals with the same mods
godsdisciple85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
good ole drive by wire, its in the tune and can be tweeked but that will void the warranty
I know, frustrating. Can go Procal w/ standard warranty, but I have extended.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #15
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsyedb View Post
A tune is what I was thinking also, I am in the process in purchasing a Steeda CAI with a tuner from Bama
jrsyedb,

You'll be shocked how much the CAI/Bama package will change your GT. I think this is exactly what you're looking for. We drastically help the throttle hesitation, plus pick up a descent amount of hp/tq throughout the powerband. Also, in the future you may want to consider 3.73 gears to increase your acceleration even more!

If you have any questions, just let me know!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug5.0 View Post
I don't have that delay between 1st and 2nd at WOT unless I'm letting off the throttle at high RPM. Is you're car hanging for a moment at 7,000 before 2nd engages?
Yea it's right at 7,000 or so. Not letting off the throttle, foot flat on the floor. I could probably count to 2 during that time.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorDog009

Yea it's right at 7,000 or so. Not letting off the throttle, foot flat on the floor. I could probably count to 2 during that time.
I'm thinking its within the tune, mine did that before I tuned it too. When you run the tune on an auto it changes the shift strategies of the transmission and it makes them quicker and firmer. If you're not into that for daily driving than you're prob gonna have to live with it.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I've got a custom 91 Torque tune in the car now. I'd like to be able to raise the part throttle shifts and shift firmness for sure. I can barely feel most of the shifts.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman
I know, frustrating. Can go Procal w/ standard warranty, but I have extended.
Do u have that tune
Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:10 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke

Do u have that tune
No, no tune yet b/c of extended warranty. I knew Id have plenty of suspension, chassis, body mods etc., to do early in the warranty, but didnt realize there'd be do much throttle lag out of the box. I dont drag often though so not a huge deal. Just annoying and Id like to be rid of it in less than 7 years!
Old 11-13-2012, 04:36 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
jrsyedb,

You'll be shocked how much the CAI/Bama package will change your GT. I think this is exactly what you're looking for. We drastically help the throttle hesitation, plus pick up a descent amount of hp/tq throughout the powerband. Also, in the future you may want to consider 3.73 gears to increase your acceleration even more!

If you have any questions, just let me know!

Shane
What is current price for this mod?
sln76102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

americanmuscle.com will show you prices on any mod you desire (for the most part) but gears are around $160 for the hardware than anywhere from 300 to 1200 for install depending where you go
godsdisciple85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:15 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug5.0 View Post
I've got an auto too and I know what you're talking about. I have a CAI and tune, just got 3.73 gears and there's still a little lag if I floor it... Not what I've experienced in manuals. I would guess, since I'm certainly not a mechanic, that it takes a couple seconds for the computer to respond to the input and send the signal properly to the transmission on what to do. In a manual, it's different because you're already engaged in 1st and you're manually controlling the shift and transmission engagement points, not a computer. Does this make sense, or am I full of *****? LOL!
Its drive by wire,,so there is a delay
Old 11-16-2012, 02:11 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
The "laziness" in the throttle IS in the factory tune to promote smooth throttle inputs. Real enthusiasts like us want all of throttle right now, but you know if Ford gave it to us that way all the Car & Driver and Motor Trend weenies would be crying about "abrupt throttle response".
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:01 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compstall
"abrupt throttle response".
Lol, thats a phrase Ill keep chuckling at
Old 11-16-2012, 06:20 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compstall
The "laziness" in the throttle IS in the factory tune to promote smooth throttle inputs. Real enthusiasts like us want all of throttle right now, but you know if Ford gave it to us that way all the Car & Driver and Motor Trend weenies would be crying about "abrupt throttle response".
"Abrupt throttle response" is the reason i bought a 5.0 in the first place! Not for a "gradual incline of steady acceleration." when i want WOT i want full WOT!... Sorry just had to vent a little.
bradtaylornator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:59 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradtaylornator

"Abrupt throttle response" is the reason i bought a 5.0 in the first place! Not for a "gradual incline of steady acceleration." when i want WOT i want full WOT!... Sorry just had to vent a little.
Yeah but he has a good point though, all those motor magazines would tear this car apart.

I've already seen it slammed for "wild" handling even though in handling tests it faired almost and sometimes better than a BMW M3. The driver said it made the car fun, the magazine said it wasn't a comfortable ride.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:27 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy

Yeah but he has a good point though, all those motor magazines would tear this car apart.

I've already seen it slammed for "wild" handling even though in handling tests it faired almost and sometimes better than a BMW M3. The driver said it made the car fun, the magazine said it wasn't a comfortable ride.
Yea i hear ya, it seems like if its not a bmw, jaguar, or something like that the car has hprrible handling and an uncomfortable ride for the most part
bradtaylornator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:46 AM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I'll put my 2 cents in. I drove a base m6 last year and felt it was lackluster in acceleration and handling. Just didn't have the fun factor I was expecting from a v8 mustang.
I drove a '13 m6 last night with 3.73's, recaros and track pack. Holy crap what a difference. I will honestly say i'm impressed with what ford has put together on these cars.

Bottom line, gears, track pack and brembos are worth whatever it takes you to get them. The car just isn't the same without them
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #30
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman View Post
Lol, thats a phrase Ill keep chuckling at
Lol +1
Old 11-16-2012, 08:15 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradtaylornator

---------- Post added at 07:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 AM ----------

Were all in it with you buddy! I don't want my Mustang driving like my Lincoln. First thing I did was get rid of the spongy "boat ride" suspension on my GT. Now it rides firm like a muscle car should.
Konig wheels
Engine mods: none, why mess with perfection?
Wyomingstang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT