Drive shaft installation ? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
SolidRRaxle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 517
Looking to pick this up along with an exhaust tonite.... I do not have an extensive tool collection, nor experience. How difficult is the installation? Really only looking to do mods I can handle myself, will build my way up to the harder ones. This is a make or break question for me on this particular purchase. Any help here is appreciated
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-10-2012, 05:11 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 453
I wondered this same thing a few months ago and did a little research ... there seemed to be a little more to it that just removing the old one and bolting in a new one.

Example:

UCA, 1 piece driveshaft, Pinion Angle... - MustangForums.com
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
SolidRRaxle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 517
****...

Appreciate the link. Hope that guy was just over-complicating things
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-10-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87
I wondered this same thing a few months ago and did a little research ... there seemed to be a little more to it that just removing the old one and bolting in a new one.

Example:

UCA, 1 piece driveshaft, Pinion Angle... - MustangForums.com
That has nothing to do with the driveshaft...
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
That has nothing to do with the driveshaft...
I guess I misunderstood it ... I thought pinion angles were a concern with one piece drive shaft installations? However, I have no idea what any of this means ... which is why I decided that this was not something I was going to do myself.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87

I guess I misunderstood it ... I thought pinion angles were a concern with one piece drive shaft installations? However, I have no idea what any of this means ... which is why I decided that this was not something I was going to do myself.
I mean, it's of concern, but the driveshaft shouldn't have a big impact. Lowering the car is what causes the pinion angle to change, and its adjusted with an adjustable upper control arm.
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
I mean, it's of concern, but the driveshaft shouldn't have a big impact. Lowering the car is what causes the pinion angle to change, and its adjusted with an adjustable upper control arm.
OK, I see. Thanks. I learned something!
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
SolidRRaxle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 517
Napoleon, have you done this mod before? Trying to do it with just a set of ramps.
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 395
I did mine with the rear up on jack stands in my garage. Wasn't hard at all. Take out some bolts, swap shafts, put bolts back in.
Black5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidRRaxle
Napoleon, have you done this mod before? Trying to do it with just a set of ramps.
No, but it should be relatively easy. I would install a driveshaft loop while I was down there.
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
SolidRRaxle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 517
Thanks. I picked up the BMR loop. Figure if I acrew it up, should have something there to catch it so it doesn't hit the pavement at 60 mpg and rip off my axle

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5.0
I did mine with the rear up on jack stands in my garage. Wasn't hard at all. Take out some bolts, swap shafts, put bolts back in.
Nice, that is exactly what I was hoping it would be.... I should've waited to purchase but I'm like a little kid with this stuff. Purchased it about an hour or so after I posted this thread
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 453
So, then I am to understand that there really ISN'T more to it than simply bolting in a new drive shaft? If so, that's something I am quite happy to have misunderstood.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 395
Yeah, I put in the bmr safety loop as well
Black5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87
So, then I am to understand that there really ISN'T more to it than simply bolting in a new drive shaft? If so, that's something I am quite happy to have misunderstood.
I don't think so...
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #15
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
such a great mod too from everything I hear, too bad it's something we need to do ourselves though, I think at the very least it should have had a one piece from factory... and if they're so worried about MPG's it would've benefitted to have aluminum
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:06 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
2012Vader5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Arizona
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
such a great mod too from everything I hear, too bad it's something we need to do ourselves though, I think at the very least it should have had a one piece from factory... and if they're so worried about MPG's it would've benefitted to have aluminum
I agree a one piece would have been nice to have come from the factory. Beings at 11,240 miles I twisted the factory two piece one.
2012Vader5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:25 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Vader5.0 View Post
I agree a one piece would have been nice to have come from the factory. Beings at 11,240 miles I twisted the factory two piece one.
Holy smokes ... what kind of power were you putting down to do that? I agree though, the two-piece shaft is garbage. I hate how it's always clanking when you engage the clutch from load... if I had a dollar for every time I had to explain what that noise was ...
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
DWC_SmOziLLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lancaster
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

I agree though, the two-piece shaft is garbage. I hate how it's always clanking when you engage the clutch from load... if I had a dollar for every time I had to explain what that noise was ...
+1, lol. Same here
__________________
Best 1/4: 1.90 60ft. - 12.15 @ 119mph on Street Tires.
460.25rwhp & 408.28rwtq SAE on a Dynojet 224xLC
Tuned by Matt Lepkowski, owner and operator a Performance Evolution in Smyrna, DE.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
claudermilk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: California
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmike87 View Post
So, then I am to understand that there really ISN'T more to it than simply bolting in a new drive shaft? If so, that's something I am quite happy to have misunderstood.
While I haven't messed with the Mustang's driveshaft, I have removed & installed the one on the project car so many times I've lost count. Every time on jackstands. It's a pretty simple part. I'm sure once you get under there it will be obvious how easy it is.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
2012Vader5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Arizona
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

Holy smokes ... what kind of power were you putting down to do that? I agree though, the two-piece shaft is garbage. I hate how it's always clanking when you engage the clutch from load... if I had a dollar for every time I had to explain what that noise was ...
No more power than ford put in the car.
2012Vader5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Coyote 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Nebraska
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
I agree though, the two-piece shaft is garbage. I hate how it's always clanking when you engage the clutch from load... if I had a dollar for every time I had to explain what that noise was ...
The clanking noise ticks me off now but the first couple times I heard it I thought something was jacked up with the trans or the rear end. It's funny how under load or not sometimes it clanks and other times it doesn't.

Does the 1 piece drive shaft have the same the clanking noise as the 2 piece?
Coyote 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote 5

The clanking noise ticks me off now but the first couple times I heard it I thought something was jacked up with the trans or the rear end. It's funny how under load or not sometimes it clanks and other times it doesn't.

Does the 1 piece drive shaft have the same the clanking noise as the 2 piece?
No, 1 piece shouldn't clank.
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:19 PM   #23
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
It's not supposed to clank, the clanking usually comes from the little bit of slop between the joint of the driveshaft pieces
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Always wondered what that noise was. Lol always thought I was just a terrible driver haha.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:15 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
Always wondered what that noise was. Lol always thought I was just a terrible driver haha.
Nope, it's just terrible driveshaft design.
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
nosympathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: none
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85 View Post
Nope, it's just terrible driveshaft design.
I watched the video on AM that shows their aluminum one and the stock one. I don't even understand why ford thought that was a good idea, at any point and time, other than it is probably a lot cheaper.
__________________
MustangEvolution ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!
nosympathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
I watched the video on AM that shows their aluminum one and the stock one. I don't even understand why ford thought that was a good idea, at any point and time, other than it is probably a lot cheaper.
For the same reason we have the MT82. Somehow they had to cut all this cost while still raising the price of the Mustang.

Educated secondary guess is that it must be easier to balance or something...
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
2012Vader5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Arizona
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

For the same reason we have the MT82. Somehow they had to cut all this cost while still raising the price of the Mustang.

Educated secondary guess is that it must be easier to balance or something...
The stock two piece drive shaft cost the same as one piece 800 roughly depending who you go with.
2012Vader5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Napoleon85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Vader5.0 View Post
The stock two piece drive shaft cost the same as one piece 800 roughly depending who you go with.
To you, not to Ford. They have been using them for a long time and probably have an astounding deal from a manufacturer that makes thousands upon thousands for them.
__________________
Official Exhaust Thread Troller
Napoleon85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:11 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
2012Vader5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Arizona
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon85

To you, not to Ford. They have been using them for a long time and probably have an astounding deal from a manufacturer that makes thousands upon thousands for them.
I was referring to the general public, of course they purchase cheaper than they sale. That's basic business.
2012Vader5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
SolidRRaxle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 517
This is not an install for the avg. joe. If you are putting on the safety loop, know that the entire car needs to be jacked up PLUS a jack stand (didn't have it so had to abandon the entire install) for the transmission. Driveshaft alone is fine (squeeze getting up there of you're using ramps, but could work), but forget loop if you don't have all the equip. Also, don't do just the driveshaft... You'll need to remove it to put on the loop anyway. Hope this helps anyone who searches this out.... But none of us use the search anyway
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



09:41 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.