Raising Redline - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Raising Redline

my 2011 GT has 3.73's and when i take it to the track i run out of 4th gear.
1. can i raise the rev limiter with the stock intake manifold?
2. if so what should i raise it too?
Ravnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Put the Boss Mani on.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t
Put the Boss Mani on.
I would do it but i am scared i would loose Torque.
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Only thing holding me back is Ford set the limit for a reason... Even if its just longevity, that's a pretty good reason.

Boss mani was one of the first mods I considered
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #5
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravnus View Post
my 2011 GT has 3.73's and when i take it to the track i run out of 4th gear.
1. can i raise the rev limiter with the stock intake manifold?
2. if so what should i raise it too?
yes, I had my best run ever on stock intake winding it out to 7800 rpms, haven't run with boss intake yet though... been meaning too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post
I would do it but i am scared i would loose Torque.
a good tune/tuner will fix that for you. don't be scared... unless you have a dicked up tune you won't lose more than a few ft/lbs

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
How many rpms is the stock rated for before blowing up
Jrsgrabber50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:57 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsgrabber50 View Post
How many rpms is the stock rated for before blowing up
Ford doesn't usually say it that way. They specify the redline as the highest RPMs the engine should routinely see to allow for two things: a reasonable certainty that it won't lunch itself due to a high-rpm problem like valve float, and a reasonable life span for components.

So, if Ford set the redline at 7000 RPM, it is possible that the engine might wind up to 9000 before valve float, lubrication issues, etc. cause actual problems. It is also possible that anytime you go over 7100 you have a 5% chance of a catastrophic failure! We simply don't know because Ford doesn't publish the results of all the dyno testing and simulations they did to arrive at the 7000 RPM redline figure.

We do know that Ford (as most manufacturers) leaves a bit of a safety margin, so it is likely that the engine can see 7200-7300 on a regular basis without much danger, but that is just a guess.

In conclusion: On a stock motor, I'd leave the stock redline in place. If I added FI, I'd go with the recommendations of the FI manufacturer.

P.S. If anyone has any Ford engineering insight and test results I'm sure we'd all like to see them.

--
FluxPrism
FluxPrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:08 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluxPrism View Post
Ford doesn't usually say it that way. They specify the redline as the highest RPMs the engine should routinely see to allow for two things: a reasonable certainty that it won't lunch itself due to a high-rpm problem like valve float, and a reasonable life span for components.

So, if Ford set the redline at 7000 RPM, it is possible that the engine might wind up to 9000 before valve float, lubrication issues, etc. cause actual problems. It is also possible that anytime you go over 7100 you have a 5% chance of a catastrophic failure! We simply don't know because Ford doesn't publish the results of all the dyno testing and simulations they did to arrive at the 7000 RPM redline figure.

We do know that Ford (as most manufacturers) leaves a bit of a safety margin, so it is likely that the engine can see 7200-7300 on a regular basis without much danger, but that is just a guess.

In conclusion: On a stock motor, I'd leave the stock redline in place. If I added FI, I'd go with the recommendations of the FI manufacturer.

P.S. If anyone has any Ford engineering insight and test results I'm sure we'd all like to see them.

--
FluxPrism
+1 Flux, i enjoy your insights.
2012Vader5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Thanks for the insight. I have had my 2013 for about 3 months and 2700 miles have many times most of which by accident) as you can't tell by the sound or still pulling power up to 7000, it does just shut down. The 13s don't allow above that. It just cuts out and reminds you that you have gone to far and if doing at track app test, it does not record it. I always cringe when it happens, but has happened many times. Thanks for the information.
2013 Green GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
There its zero point in taking a car to redline. You are losing power at that point. If you listen the car tells you when to shift, those cars have 6 gears, use them.
86 muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #11
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 Green GT
Thanks for the insight. I have had my 2013 for about 3 months and 2700 miles have many times most of which by accident) as you can't tell by the sound or still pulling power up to 7000, it does just shut down. The 13s don't allow above that. It just cuts out and reminds you that you have gone to far and if doing at track app test, it does not record it. I always cringe when it happens, but has happened many times. Thanks for the information.
Yea if you're still on stock tune you can't go over 7k. My best track time was with stock intake running it out to 7800 rpms. Have yet to take boss intake to track

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Dakota
Many ppl have set there stock blocks and heads to 7800 with the boss intake. So my guess is that with stock intake you should be fine. The power doesn't drop off like the older engines it just peaks at 6800. The advantage with pulling to a higher rpm on the stock mani is that it sets the next gear in a higher rpm which will allow for faster track times since most of the power is in the higher rpm range. That's why most stock mani will run better with a higher redline vs stock
Mweigt07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT