the 15 would have what if you were ford? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-15-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
the 15 would have what if you were ford?

So ford is going global with the mustang and competing with europe. What would ford have to do to compete with bmw/audi/jag etc. Most companies have some of this already.
Heads up display
Heated/cilled cupholders
Push button start
Paddle shifter
Hardtop convertible
Irs
V6/v8/turbo
Recaros
Brembos
Sync
Mycolor
Pony dor lights
Automatic start
Glass rooftop-retraketable
Sunroof
Im a die hard mustang fan but love some of these options that the mustang lacks. What would you like to see on the new 15 that would give europe a run for there money?
tolly5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Continuum transfunctioner,...and possibly a latte machine.
TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
It should not be about what Ford wants, it's about what we want. That's how the Ford Probe almost replaced the Mustang in the early 90's. if they want a Euro global performance car, then build the Evo with all the stuff you said.
But the Mustang is an American Muscle car. I don't expect the retro style to stay this way, but it should keep the elements of the original cars.
Classics designs like BMW's and Porches continue to refine their core designs. You can ID almost any year of those cars. You don't compete with a 370z by trying build a better 370z.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 02:12 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok
It should not be about what Ford wants, it's about what we want. That's how the Ford Probe almost replaced the Mustang in the early 90's. if they want a Euro global performance car, then build the Evo with all the stuff you said.
But the Mustang is an American Muscle car. I don't expect the retro style to stay this way, but it should keep the elements of the original cars.
Classics designs like BMW's and Porches continue to refine their core designs. You can ID almost any year of those cars. You don't compete with a 370z by trying build a better 370z.
+10000000000
anthonyrc618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:36 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Flux capacitor
Old 10-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Factory surcharged 5.0 not a roush or anything but much like a terminator. A 5.0 svt cobra
bradtaylornator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradtaylornator
Factory surcharged 5.0 not a roush or anything but much like a terminator. A 5.0 svt cobra
And pay 60k for a base gt?
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn

And pay 60k for a base gt?
No im sayin make a base gt then make a supercharged version like the cobra in 03/04. since the new gt500 is basically a supercar now, just narrow the gap between the gt500 and gt.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradtaylornator

No im sayin make a base gt then make a supercharged version like the cobra in 03/04. since the new gt500 is basically a supercar now, just narrow the gap between the gt500 and gt.
The 03 cobra was a supercar compared to the 03 gt.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

All im saying is that I personally think it would be cool to see a factory supercharged 5.0 im not really trying to get in depth to much with prices and such. My opinion is I think it would be cool.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradtaylornator View Post
I think the Boss 302 fills the gap between the two. They're not going to have a car too close to the GT500 and be 40K cheaper. That's what happened to the camaro's from the late 90's, they didn't want to get it too close to the vette and lose vette sales.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I think the Boss 302 fills the gap between the two. They're not going to have a car too close to the GT500 and be 40K cheaper. That's what happened to the camaro's from the late 90's, they didn't want to get it too close to the vette and lose vette sales.
Yea true but just imagine a 550hp supercharged boss. That would be awesome it would probably cost the same as a 500 but it would be cool
Old 10-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolly5.0
So ford is going global with the mustang and competing with europe. What would ford have to do to compete with bmw/audi/jag etc. Most companies have some of this already.
Heads up display
Heated/cilled cupholders
Push button start
Paddle shifter
Hardtop convertible
Irs
V6/v8/turbo
Recaros
Brembos
Sync
Mycolor
Pony dor lights
Automatic start
Glass rooftop-retraketable
Sunroof
Im a die hard mustang fan but love some of these options that the mustang lacks. What would you like to see on the new 15 that would give europe a run for there money?
So they would all cost between 35 and 50k?
Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #14
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Flux capacitor
Marty!!!
Old 10-31-2012, 02:11 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Ford cant compete with audi and the likes of the euros in a sports car. Theyll fall short everytime. Fact is fords dont appeal to the euros, euros appeal to americans. Would u rather own a bmw sedan or a fusion? Same category, of course bmw costs more but its also worth more. Ford would have to step there game up to compete thus letting dodge and chevy take over the average american market. 18-35k. It just wont work. They are gonna try and make the 15 look more euro, but they are going to lose alot of americans in the process and not gain enough foreigners.
Edens5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:45 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edens5
Ford cant compete with audi and the likes of the euros in a sports car. Theyll fall short everytime. Fact is fords dont appeal to the euros, euros appeal to americans. Would u rather own a bmw sedan or a fusion? Same category, of course bmw costs more but its also worth more. Ford would have to step there game up to compete thus letting dodge and chevy take over the average american market. 18-35k. It just wont work. They are gonna try and make the 15 look more euro, but they are going to lose alot of americans in the process and not gain enough foreigners.
I dont agree! If americans go for euro built cars then why not produce american euro based cars that are affordable. I am not sure if i like the new 15 but i do believe the concept is good for sales and im sure the new stang will look different then the car and driver photos but with a gt that produces 450 hp and a independent rear suspension whats not to like about that. The old 5.0s to me are not great looking cars but that 5.0 engine that they used was outstanding during that time nothing kept up with it. Ford will do that again and make the 50th a great one.It will change how we look at american cars. This will finally stand up to the euro market and show that americans can still build cars. This is what america needs!
redbeast0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:49 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeast0712

I dont agree! If americans go for euro built cars then why not produce american euro based cars that are affordable. I am not sure if i like the new 15 but i do believe the concept is good for sales and im sure the new stang will look different then the car and driver photos but with a gt that produces 450 hp and a independent rear suspension whats not to like about that. The old 5.0s to me are not great looking cars but that 5.0 engine that they used was outstanding during that time nothing kept up with it. Ford will do that again and make the 50th a great one.It will change how we look at american cars. This will finally stand up to the euro market and show that americans can still build cars. This is what america needs!
You're not going to beat them at their own game. In America status for many is driving a BMW or Mercedes. In Europe status is driving a BMW or Mercedes. By the time the car is exported to Europe the price point will be competing with cars it can't compete with.
The best similar market to ours is Australia, but the drive on the wrong side. I agree that Ford is going to screw this up.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You're not going to beat them at their own game. In America status for many is driving a BMW or Mercedes. In Europe status is driving a BMW or Mercedes. By the time the car is exported to Europe the price point will be competing with cars it can't compete with.
The best similar market to ours is Australia, but the drive on the wrong side. I agree that Ford is going to screw this up.

I understand what you are saying but remember ford started something in in 2005 with the new retro design of the s197 mustang body style. People loved this style so ofcourse what did chevy and dodge do they built new retro design cars in the camaro and challenger. Chevy and dodge even went as far as bring back these cars to compete. I would like to believe that ford can take over Europe but that isnt going to happen but for ford to base design off euro style cars it will work for americans and help sells watch companies in america will follow. I hope your on here in 10 years so i can say i told you so.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I understand what you are saying but remember ford started something in in 2005 with the new retro design of the s197 mustang body style. People loved this style so ofcourse what did chevy and dodge do they built new retro design cars in the camaro and challenger. Chevy and dodge even went as far as bring back these cars to compete. I would like to believe that ford can take over Europe but that isnt going to happen but for ford to base design off euro style cars it will work for americans and help sells watch companies in america will follow. I hope your on here in 10 years so i can say i told you so.
Americans loved the retro redesign on there muscle cars cuz we love retro cars.. I dont want my mustang to look like an audi.. Id rather have an audi then.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Americans loved the retro redesign on there muscle cars cuz we love retro cars.. I dont want my mustang to look like an audi.. Id rather have an audi then.
I also love the retro look thats why i buy the newer mustang i have had many of the late models and i look to take the retro look and build on it. I have a 2013 now and i want to look at it and be reminded of the classic mustangs. But how long can the retro design last it time for something new. I do agree that the mustang should always look like a mustang as long as it lives but what about other models. In my opinion i think that ford should go for the euro design in some models not all and get sells up in the US i dont expect europeans to take in ford but i hope that americans take on the european designs to sell more. Thats all im saying here
Old 11-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

But for a mustang to compete with say a m5 the price would rocket by 10 grand min and the gt500 would have to be a supercar running close to 100k. Which kills the integrity of the mustang. Ive heard rumors of a 4 banger and a v6 turbo, thats not mustang. I have a 12 and its the only mustang ill ever and have owned.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
But for a mustang to compete with say a m5 the price would rocket by 10 grand min and the gt500 would have to be a supercar running close to 100k. Which kills the integrity of the mustang. Ive heard rumors of a 4 banger and a v6 turbo, thats not mustang. I have a 12 and its the only mustang ill ever and have owned.
Well true but there was one year and only one where they experimented with a turbo 4 in a fox body it was a mustang sho. The car was ok not great. It was lighter and better handling. But your right a person that is a real mustang fan will not buy a mustang with a 4 or even a 6 unless its a project car and you want to do work. But the m5 is really an amazing car too me its worth every penny. I don't think the stang should ever be in its class. I would like to see a a american built car that can compete with these bmw, audi, etc. with performance and quality, i know it wont happen but would be nice to see a change. I mean you see the same things corvette, mustang, etc but i think it would be cool to see some high end models from some of these american makes. Its sad to see this will never happen it would be to bold to attempt and most likely wont work.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I think ford forgot the fact that back then, ford couldn't touch Ferrari's and other euro cars, they raced Camaro and other cars of the same category. Corvette and the ford gt 40 handled the euro cars. Why can't ford keep it that way?
Stanglover1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I think you're making my point. In 05' Ford went retro, not euro. They went back to something that was very successful in the past. I don't want the retro style forever and the 13 isn't that retro anymore. I just want a muscle car, not euro crap that appeals to no one here or overseas.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edens5 View Post
Ive heard rumors of a 4 banger and a v6 turbo, thats not mustang.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeast0712 View Post
Well true but there was one year and only one where they experimented with a turbo 4 in a fox body it was a mustang sho. The car was ok not great. It was lighter and better handling. But your right a person that is a real mustang fan will not buy a mustang with a 4 or even a 6 unless its a project car and you want to do work.
Umm.... Ford Mustang SVO - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tell those owner's it's not a Mustang & see what reaction you get.

It's pretty much certain the '15 will get an EcoBoost 4. Whether we see it here or it's export only remains to be seen. It doesn't bother me at all since that allows the model to continue. You don't want the 4? Fine, buy one with a 6 or 8 in it.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudermilk

Umm.... Ford Mustang SVO - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tell those owner's it's not a Mustang & see what reaction you get.

It's pretty much certain the '15 will get an EcoBoost 4. Whether we see it here or it's export only remains to be seen. It doesn't bother me at all since that allows the model to continue. You don't want the 4? Fine, buy one with a 6 or 8 in it.
Thats right i was called the svo. Sorry for the screw up good info though.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
The thing most people don't understand is that fords marketers and economists do a huge amount of research and planning before they release a car. Their projections will be within 5 percent of the actual results. Ford isn't going to be taking any risks with the mustang at all from a business standpoint. That doesn't mean that they will sell more mustangs or make more money, it does mean that they will have a solid idea of how many, of what types of cars they can sell, to whom, at what prices, for how much cars before the first badge is pressed. The business model must look good so here they go. If Ford thought the mustang wouldn't make them the money they need they would axe the nameplate or sell it off guaranteed. North American manufacturers are all accountant responsible and their first objective is to sell cars. Don't worry, they won't leave us out in the cold.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
The thing most people don't understand is that fords marketers and economists do a huge amount of research and planning before they release a car. Their projections will be within 5 percent of the actual results. Ford isn't going to be taking any risks with the mustang at all from a business standpoint. That doesn't mean that they will sell more mustangs or make more money, it does mean that they will have a solid idea of how many, of what types of cars they can sell, to whom, at what prices, for how much cars before the first badge is pressed. The business model must look good so here they go. If Ford thought the mustang wouldn't make them the money they need they would axe the nameplate or sell it off guaranteed. North American manufacturers are all accountant responsible and their first objective is to sell cars. Don't worry, they won't leave us out in the cold.
I understand that the ford marketers are paid to accomplish all those things. But that doesn't explain how they were going to scrap the mustang back in 1988/89 and replace it with the Probe. The when all hell broke loose they kept the mustang and released the probe. So those guys have their heads up their *** sometimes. Somewhere in the deep recesses of ford, someone is hell bent on producing global platform vehicles across their product line. They had big success with the fiesta going global, it makes sense for a car like that to be universal. It appeals to people in many countries looking for fairly inexpensive small stylsh vehicles. But muscle car market is much different. Now that Shelby is gone, they'll start dialing back the HP as impractical. That's what happened last time when Shelby left ford and went to chrysler. Then the HP came back when he re-joined ford and developed the 07' GT500.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

O don't see the performance game going away at all. More efficiency sure but it won't come with huge power cuts. I do think the hp boom is going to have to slow down a bit and that's ok with me. But i won't listen to people who think they are killing the mustang by modernizing it.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
If the want to compete with euro, they need to make a new model. They would have to change the Mustang too much to make an actual competitor. It's too big to be euro, because it weighs so much it has to have a bigger engine, therefore increasing cost. They need to make a smaller car, with a smaller, faster engine. This is very possible with the new EcoBoost engines. Most euro super or sports cars have smaller engines. You rarely hear about V8's, and when you do, they're almost never 5.0L. I don't see why they don't just make a lighter car, because the size of the engine isn't what makes it fast, it's the power/weight ratio. That's just my opinion. I don't mind Mustangs being internationalized, just don't try to fit the mold of euro cars in the process.
Taylorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorations
If the want to compete with euro, they need to make a new model. They would have to change the Mustang too much to make an actual competitor. It's too big to be euro, because it weighs so much it has to have a bigger engine, therefore increasing cost. They need to make a smaller car, with a smaller, faster engine. This is very possible with the new EcoBoost engines. Most euro super or sports cars have smaller engines. You rarely hear about V8's, and when you do, they're almost never 5.0L. I don't see why they don't just make a lighter car, because the size of the engine isn't what makes it fast, it's the power/weight ratio. That's just my opinion. I don't mind Mustangs being internationalized, just don't try to fit the mold of euro cars in the process.
Euro super cars have v12 twin turbos..
Old 11-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
O don't see the performance game going away at all. More efficiency sure but it won't come with huge power cuts. I do think the hp boom is going to have to slow down a bit and that's ok with me. But i won't listen to people who think they are killing the mustang by modernizing it.
I'm not saing that performance is going away, immediately. But over a few years it will go down, if they go with a euro international car. It'll probably be a turbo4 or V6 turbo in the europe market. I don't understand why the objection to the current theorhetical designs means you're against modernization. The 05-09 body style is a complete modernization of the original. On through the 13 is a more modern interpretation of the original. It's not a modern mustang that people don't like it's a euro mustang that they object to. It's an American muscle car, not an Audi A6 or Toyota Supra.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm not saing that performance is going away, immediately. But over a few years it will go down, if they go with a euro international car. It'll probably be a turbo4 or V6 turbo in the europe market. I don't understand why the objection to the current theorhetical designs means you're against modernization. The 05-09 body style is a complete modernization of the original. On through the 13 is a more modern interpretation of the original. It's not a modern mustang that people don't like it's a euro mustang that they object to. It's an American muscle car, not an Audi A6 or Toyota Supra.
It's not a euro mustang. Just because it's sold everywhere and is being designed for a bunch of markets doesn't make it Asian, euro or any of that. . America design language needs to take a step forward towards a style made for this decade. Look at the BMW's evolution over years. Or audis. Ford evolving its design language to look more sleek isn't making it a euro car at all. It's building an image. People in Europe aren't going to see it as Ford making a sports coupe for them. They will see it as Ford making a mustang for the world that will hopefully be a really good car and an awesome performance bargain.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:25 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanglover1966
I think ford forgot the fact that back then, ford couldn't touch Ferrari's and other euro cars, they raced Camaro and other cars of the same category. Corvette and the ford gt 40 handled the euro cars. Why can't ford keep it that way?
Ford has never held a stick to ferrari...they never made the GT40, or GT44...

Why s everyone stuck on an arbitrary idea that Ford is now making a ricer or euro car? It is sad we call a euro car something lite, powerful, and good.

Someone here compared a BMW sedan to a Fusion. Umm. Do you know the difference between front wheel drive and rear? Which BMW do you mean?

And at the end of the day, Ford is becoming a company one wants to buy. Ford, GM and chrysler used to be United States producers that were considered junk, and cheap. But a quality car easily compares to Infiniti, Lexus, Benz, so on. The differences become minute. "Oh, I chose the M56x over the MKS awd. Why? The silver shavings in the special wood cut for the interior." I would never buy an Audi for the electrical systems. Everyone I know who has had one will never buy again, when it goes, the car is not worth repairing. The BMW people complain about quality. Luxury now is Lexus, Infiniti, Benz, then Lincoln and Acura.

Ford is closing the gap between "I got a Ford because I can afford it" and "I was going to get another car, but it wasn't $xxxxx.xx better than the Ford."

Now I am not arguing Ford is the hands down best ever. But since the late 90s, Ford has been trying to make a paradigm. They have been working hard, and we are reaping what they sowed. They are now ranked with Toyota in quality, and look pretty good, to me. No one has to like them, but if Ford makes a good car that is powerful, fuel efficient, reliable, and a decent price, then I am not going to complain. They would have to work pretty hard to ruin the looks so bad to stop sales.

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude

It's not a euro mustang. Just because it's sold everywhere and is being designed for a bunch of markets doesn't make it Asian, euro or any of that. . America design language needs to take a step forward towards a style made for this decade. Look at the BMW's evolution over years. Or audis. Ford evolving its design language to look more sleek isn't making it a euro car at all. It's building an image. People in Europe aren't going to see it as Ford making a sports coupe for them. They will see it as Ford making a mustang for the world that will hopefully be a really good car and an awesome performance bargain.
+1

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

^ Yup.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT