opinion on navi install - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
opinion on navi install

what's up guys Im brand new to this site just got me a 2012 coyote! Anyways Im wanting to install the navigation touch screen in. And before anyways asks why i didn't just get one with the touch screen already in it, is because the dealers around my area didn't have any and i couldn't wait for one. So i was wandering if anyone has any experience with this. It has the shaker system Bluetooth and sync.
bradtaylornator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
You can't put the Ford NAV in the standard Shaker 500. I know, I tried. The main reason is the HVAC controls are not compatible. You will find first that the fan runs on high all the time. That being said, if you want NAV, look at a Metra panel and a double DIN NAV system like the Kenwood DNX-9980HD. I have pictures of my install here on this site if you would like to see the finished install. Crutchfield can guide you on a solution and support and you retain most of your steering wheel controls. Hope this info is helpful to you. Enjoy everyday!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
u can also check out the Scosche kit, lil more expensive but well worth it. Check out my pics if interested.
2013_stang_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome Im trying to keep the stock look to it. So I'll Polly just keep the stock radio in it. Thanks for the input
Old 10-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013_stang_gt View Post
u can also check out the Scosche kit, lil more expensive but well worth it. Check out my pics if interested.
Nice kit. Now I have to upgrade!
Old 10-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradtaylornator
Awesome Im trying to keep the stock look to it. So I'll Polly just keep the stock radio in it. Thanks for the input
The schosch kit looks stock. That plus a Navy unit and people will think it came from ford that way.

No offense on the metra, but the schosch is amazing.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy

The schosch kit looks stock. That plus a Navy unit and people will think it came from ford that way.

No offense on the metra, but the schosch is amazing.
Ok cool I'll be sure to check that out
Old 10-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

yeah, im constantly asked if it came from Ford by other mustang owners, so it definately has the stock appearance
Old 10-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Before I bought my Mustang also want to have it. But the price is a little more expensive for the navigation Compared to stock radio. But Im glad i did get the nav. because I tried to do the same thing. I searched for weeks trying to find a kit and the factory Ford navigation system. But nobody makes it and it is not able to be installed in your car. It will not wire up to the factory wiring. You would be better off buying an aftermarket navigation system touchscreen for your car.
Jsmorley81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmorley81
Before I bought my Mustang also want to have it. But the price is a little more expensive for the navigation Compared to stock radio. But Im glad i did get the nav. because I tried to do the same thing. I searched for weeks trying to find a kit and the factory Ford navigation system. But nobody makes it and it is not able to be installed in your car. It will not wire up to the factory wiring. You would be better off buying an aftermarket navigation system touchscreen for your car.
I guess Im just gonna have to break down and buy a aftermarket one
Old 10-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Wow. That looks incredible. I think I found my solution to swapping out the center dash and upgrading to a Nav Touch.
Klaximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Exclamation

Just a word of caution to those planning to swap in either a Metra or Scosche dash kit and a nice double-DIN NAV Unit: PLAN AHEAD!

Integrating with all the stock stuff: HVAC, SYNC, Steering Wheel Controls, etc. is relatively easily handled, but depending on your exact configuration of NAV Unit, SYNC or Non-SYNC car, etc. you might need very different adapters and converters.

Someone mentioned above that Crutchfield will work with you on this effort. If you aren't taking advantage of that, you'll definitely want to thoroughly investigate all the interconnections between systems that will be affected by your install and plan for appropriate adapters/converters.

In short, this isn't a typical throw it in on Saturday afternoon sort of upgrade.

Good Luck!
--
FluxPrism
FluxPrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:59 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I agree. This install is fairly simple, but getting the right adapters is key. If your willing to do without the Sync feature then the adapters required are minimal, and less expensive. Mine i dont care about steering wheel buttons, Sync, and voice dialing so i did the cheaper adapter. My aftermarket retains voice dialing, and iphone controls plus alot of new options and i would install it again over and over. Highly recommend crutchfield for support, and be prepared to spend some money!!!
Old 10-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
I agree. This install is fairly simple, but getting the right adapters is key. If your willing to do without the Sync feature then the adapters required are minimal, and less expensive. Mine i dont care about steering wheel buttons, Sync, and voice dialing so i did the cheaper adapter. My aftermarket retains voice dialing, and iphone controls plus alot of new options and i would install it again over and over. Highly recommend crutchfield for support, and be prepared to spend some money!!!
Check your PMs. I will want to get this done, but I want to hear more about how you did this.
Klaximilian is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT