Turbo on a mustang 2012 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-22-2012, 01:27 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Turbo on a mustang 2012

Is a turbo good for a mustang 2012 ? I know they are super charge but im more a guy of turbo!
Is a turbo good for mustang. What about a used turbo ? Should i pay 5000$ for a turbo or the big one at 7000$ ?
Get x bxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 01:34 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I saw one at the track with a twin turbo... It was pretty sick !
Mustang32Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:52 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Hellion probably has twins for 7kish, never looked just a thought
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 07:16 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch
Hellion probably has twins for 7kish, never looked just a thought
The complete kit is 8500 last time i when on their site.
I wouldnt get twin turbo if you are not planning in building your engine, twinscrew Is much cheaper and less lag at low rpm.
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:36 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen

The complete kit is 8500 last time i when on their site.
I wouldnt get twin turbo if you are not planning in building your engine, twinscrew Is much cheaper and less lag at low rpm.
So close. Dont get me wrong I prefer the scream over suck any time, just ridiculous how much power you can get outta sucker
Are the twin screws good for a DD
{Never Enough HP}
Old 10-22-2012, 08:35 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
2011 and up needs low end work to begin with and anything that will decrease I would stay away from. Torque wins races. Not hp. Heard a turbo corvette coming out of chilis yesterday and oh my God it was crazy at how loud the bov was.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:45 AM   #7
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
There are very few turbo kits out for the coyote right now, and I would not go with hellion, they do not perform to the power levels they show. John Lund and ken B have a pretty BA TT system in their car, not sure if they're even selling it yet though. I believe S&H performance may have a turbo kit for the coyote though and I know they made very good turbos for the 3v's

Honestly though like said above, your best bet s probably centri sc

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

Quote:

So close. Dont get me wrong I prefer the scream over suck any time, just ridiculous how much power you can get outta sucker
Are the twin screws good for a DD
I would probably go with a centri for DD duty, turbos run pretty hot, so do twin screw and you're gonna roast more tires with twin screw.

Don't get me wrong though I'd go twin screw all day long if I had the money

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning
2011 and up needs low end work to begin with and anything that will decrease I would stay away from. Torque wins races. Not hp. Heard a turbo corvette coming out of chilis yesterday and oh my God it was crazy at how loud the bov was.
Needs low end work? Not sure how, 390 ft/lb stock is very stout, and turbos wouldn't necessarily decrease that either. Most na coyotes (full bolt on) still push between 370-380 to the rear wheels

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
There are very few turbo kits out for the coyote right now, and I would not go with hellion, they do not perform to the power levels they show. John Lund and ken B have a pretty BA TT system in their car, not sure if they're even selling it yet though. I believe S&H performance may have a turbo kit for the coyote though and I know they made very good turbos for the 3v's

Honestly though like said above, your best bet s probably centri sc

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 AM ----------

I would probably go with a centri for DD duty, turbos run pretty hot, so do twin screw and you're gonna roast more tires with twin screw.

Don't get me wrong though I'd go twin screw all day long if I had the money

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

Needs low end work? Not sure how, 390 ft/lb stock is very stout, and turbos wouldn't necessarily decrease that either. Most na coyotes (full bolt on) still push between 370-380 to the rear wheels
Yeah money seems to always be the problem,,,, are all SC twin screw?
{Never Enough HP}
Old 10-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

If you get some proper tire and wheel combo you will not have a problem burning them up on WOT with a twinscrew. Even my stock brembo wheels and tires are a pain because they cant get a good grip and i am all stock, i can imagine adding another 200 hp with stock tires.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:35 AM   #10
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

Yeah money seems to always be the problem,,,, are all SC twin screw?
No, twin screw superchargers are like the ones you see on a GT500 where they replace the intake manifold. A centrifugal sc looks like a belt driven turbo, check out black5.0 and a couple others on here, or just google Paxton superchargers and you will see what I am talking about. There is also a roots type supercharger, they also replace the intake manifold, tbh I'm not really sure of the difference between a roots type and a twin screw

Examples, twin screw: roush tvs 2300, kenne bell

Examples centrifugal: Paxton, vortech

---------- Post added at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

Quote:
If you get some proper tire and wheel combo you will not have a problem burning them up on WOT with a twinscrew. Even my stock brembo wheels and tires are a pain because they cant get a good grip and i am all stock, i can imagine adding another 200 hp with stock tires.
Ehh, kinda, any street tire, to include drs, could easily be burnt up, it's largely about throttle control and weather

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 10-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Well yea throttle control is the main factor lol, no tire will survive a launch at 5k rpm with 600 hp.
In my opinion the twin screw looks the best under the hood. Nice and clean
Old 10-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

If you want to see a good turbo setup and raw power. Look up pressurized solutions on YouTube. They have a 1250 hp cobra that lays rubber down the whole time. Would love to get a turbo kit like that

Check out this video on YouTube:<br/><br/>http://youtu.be/euUByA-nQRg
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladezx
If you want to see a good turbo setup and raw power. Look up pressurized solutions on YouTube. They have a 1250 hp cobra that lays rubber down the whole time. Would love to get a turbo kit like that

The twin turbo is not the problem lol, the engine/ tanny build is where the money is at. Lol
Old 10-22-2012, 12:16 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The twin turbo is not the problem lol, the engine/ tanny build is where the money is at. Lol
Well ya anything more than a roush 575 sc I would change the tranny to the magnum Xl and rebuild the engine. I'm just getting the roush for now for warranty reasons too. After that I will change the tranny out and redo the engine.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #15
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

Well ya anything more than a roush 575 sc I would change the tranny to the magnum Xl and rebuild the engine. I'm just getting the roush for now for warranty reasons too. After that I will change the tranny out and redo the engine.
In our vehicle the mt82 tranny is good for more than 600 ft/lbs of tq. The issue isn't wether or not these trannys will hold up under lots of power, it's wether or not they will hold up at all. From what I've seen its hit and miss, either it will or it won't even at stock power levels.

Engine seems to be good for 700+, we have yet to see how long though. Most motors give out due to lean conditions, not because of too much power.

Not saying you shouldn't do these things, just want to let you know they are not a must

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 10-22-2012, 12:57 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No, twin screw superchargers are like the ones you see on a GT500 where they replace the intake manifold. A centrifugal sc looks like a belt driven turbo, check out black5.0 and a couple others on here, or just google Paxton superchargers and you will see what I am talking about. There is also a roots type supercharger, they also replace the intake manifold, tbh I'm not really sure of the difference between a roots type and a twin screw

Examples, twin screw: roush tvs 2300, kenne bell

Examples centrifugal: Paxton, vortech

---------- Post added at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

Ehh, kinda, any street tire, to include drs, could easily be burnt up, it's largely about throttle control and weather
Ahhh so all screamers are twin screw.

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

Quote:

Ahem, cough cough
Sit on this pressurized solutions √}
{Never Enough HP}
Old 10-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
...tbh I'm not really sure of the difference between a roots type and a twin screw
Some reading for you...

Roots-type (what you'd find in a nitro dragster)

Gibson Miller Supercharger

Twin screw

Whipple Industries

The main difference is how the air is compressed...and in the associated losses for each process. In a roots-type, the air is compressed by lobes, and channeled around between the rotor and blower case. In a twin screw, there is a male and female screw. Air is pushed down the "thread" of the female screw by the male screw as they rotate.

TVS is made by Eaton, and is actually a roots-type, but with more rotor twist...which helps reduce losses associated with that process. It's basically their answer to the twin screw.

A supercharger can be measured by what is known as its adiabatic efficiency...it's a thermo term for work (aka engine torque) required to raise the pressure of a gas a certain amount over the actual work (aka engine torque actually required) to raise the pressure. It's a good way to measure how well a pump compresses air. A traditional roots type is pretty bad. A twin screw and Eaton's TVS are basically about the same...and they're right on par with turbochargers with what we'd typically see in the Coyote.

The way I'd decide my blower-
1. psi I want to increase (horsepower I want in which areas of the RPM band)
2. cost
3. adiabatic effeciency (pretty much the same between twin screw and tvs)

So basically all it comes down to is cost and the quality of product.

Hope this helps.
hpisloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:56 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I called roush and they said that the 625 kit is super reliable and the guy i spoke with has had it for over a year with no problem and he sees alot of track days. The reason that he gave me why they dint warranty the 625 kit was because the kind of people that buy that kit would beat on it way more than others, in other words aggressive drivers would most likely get the big one.
Brenspeed had a 650 roush kit and the same was said about the reliability of it, they even upgrade the fuel system and their test car has had over 30 dynos without a single problem.

But yea if you care about the warranty just stay with the 575, but buy the extended warranty from roush because even that kit looses the ford warranty.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

When I talked to my dealer they told me the 575 would go with my extended warranty. As in since I've had my car for a year now it would go from the 2nd year til the 4th year. Since I have a 5 year extended.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
When I talked to my dealer they told me the 575 would go with my extended warranty. As in since I've had my car for a year now it would go from the 2nd year til the 4th year. Since I have a 5 year extended.
Get it in writing because they BS you so you would just buy it. Call roush
Old 10-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:

In our vehicle the mt82 tranny is good for more than 600 ft/lbs of tq. The issue isn't wether or not these trannys will hold up under lots of power, it's wether or not they will hold up at all. From what I've seen its hit and miss, either it will or it won't even at stock power levels.

Engine seems to be good for 700+, we have yet to see how long though. Most motors give out due to lean conditions, not because of too much power.

Not saying you shouldn't do these things, just want to let you know they are not a must
+1 lean conditions have been the majority of failures, not power. Strictly power related failures we have seen so far have been 750+whp. Give it fuel and good tune, you should be fine.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

So tell me whitch turbo shuld i use ! I have a low budget! I love the hp gained whit a turbo but dam i love the sound !
Get x bxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #23
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

If you have a low budget then a turbo coyote is not for you. The least expensive ones I've seen and heard of are at minimum 7k. A complete Paxton kit can be had for under 4k though

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 10-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:

+1 on tranny. Seems they're either sh*t or good. SO FAR mines been perfect at my power level with plenty of track use. When the procharger went on I did change fluid and swapped out clutch though.
Black5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get x bxr
Is a turbo good for a mustang 2012 ? I know they are super charge but im more a guy of turbo!
Is a turbo good for mustang. What about a used turbo ? Should i pay 5000$ for a turbo or the big one at 7000$ ?
I would not recommend dual turbos if this is your DD. the compression ratio is already insane for a stock car. Ford has a tsb stating do not do any engine mods because the engine is already using all its got. Any more compression could cause "bad things" to happen. But of course... You can still throw on a single turbo, intake, exhaust, tune, etc IMO. If its just a weekend car, throw the duals in there! You might have to beef up some other components thi. Just remember it will shorten the lifespan of your engine.
Dub9stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
From my experience over the years, every single turbo car setups outperformed my twin setups on the strip.
Just so you know, with supporting mods and our variable cam timing, no need to "stress" about our compression ratio. After Talking with MMR for my future build, I will be going 11.5 or 12:1...on pump gas. Dynamic comp is what really matters and IF necessary, that can be adjusted with our cams.

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

But if you're not building your car around straight line, TT will build boost faster and be more fun for daily use.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT