License plate question - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-29-2013, 10:48 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Does the law state that the plate needs to be mounted to the bumper? If not then they should have no right to drill into any persons bumper for the plate.
The following is (copy & paste) from Chapter 14 of the Missouri Driver's Guide...

LICENSE (REGISTRATION) PLATES — Missouri law requires that license plates be securely fastened to a vehicle, and that all parts of the plates are visible and clean for view or inspection by any law enforcement entity. If you have frames around your license plates, the Missouri State Highway Patrol reminds you that the frames must not cover any part of the plates.
If you receive two plates, you must place one on the front and one on the back of your vehicle.
Missouri Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 10:58 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

To Add:

Missouri State Statute 301-130.5

5. No motor vehicle or trailer shall be operated on any highway of this state unless it shall have displayed thereon the license plate or set of license plates issued by the director of revenue or the state highways and transportation commission and authorized by section 301.140. Each such plate shall be securely fastened to the motor vehicle or trailer in a manner so that all parts thereof shall be plainly visible and reasonably clean so that the reflective qualities thereof are not impaired. Each such plate may be encased in a transparent cover so long as the plate is plainly visible and its reflective qualities are not impaired. License plates shall be fastened to all motor vehicles except trucks, tractors, truck tractors or truck-tractors licensed in excess of twelve thousand pounds on the front and rear of such vehicles not less than eight nor more than forty-eight inches above the ground, with the letters and numbers thereon right side up. The license plates on trailers, motorcycles, motortricycles and motorscooters shall be displayed on the rear of such vehicles, with the letters and numbers thereon right side up. The license plate on buses, other than school buses, and on trucks, tractors, truck tractors or truck-tractors licensed in excess of twelve thousand pounds shall be displayed on the front of such vehicles not less than eight nor more than forty-eight inches above the ground, with the letters and numbers thereon right side up or if two plates are issued for the vehicle pursuant to subsection 3 of this section, displayed in the same manner on the front and rear of such vehicles. The license plate or plates authorized by section 301.140, when properly attached, shall be prima facie evidence that the required fees have been paid.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:02 PM   #38
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
So get that hideaway plate bracket and tell them to mount that instead. It still doesn't say it needs to be mounted to the actual bumper, it just needs to be securely fastened to the front.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So get that hideaway plate bracket and tell them to mount that instead. It still doesn't say it needs to be mounted to the actual bumper, it just needs to be securely fastened to the front.
Exactly. State statute doesn't say it is against the law for them to sell a car without a front plate bracket or make it mandatory that the bumper cover dimples are drilled out before they hand me the keys either. When the time comes, the front plate display is solely MY responsibility, not theirs. They will write me a "temporary 30-day tag" that will be diplayed in the back window to run on, or until I formally get it registered beforehand. When the GT hits city streets, for the first time, it will be MINE. When the 30 day license registration grace period expires and I transfer vanity plates, or turn them in for standard plates, it will be ME that displays the plates, as required by law.

I DID order the "STO n SHO" plate bracket this morning from Big Mike's Performance Parts. CJ PonyParts had them on backorder. Plus, I got a 10% military discount, along with free shipping, from Big Mike.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:08 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
If that dealer wanted my business he would make damn sure their was no holes drilled in my car
Thomas11CS5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:03 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas11CS5.0 View Post
If that dealer wanted my business he would make damn sure their was no holes drilled in my car
Why does the simplest of things have to be so difficult and complicated nowadays?

Believe it or not, I wouldn't do business anywhere else. For years, I've been driving 30 miles past my local dealership for a higher quality of service and professionalism. Overall, this dealership is made up of good people that are friendly, truly care about my vehicle's maintenance upkeep and ensuring I'm experiencing happiness in owning their product. Problem is, they change sales managers as frequently as we change our socks. As I said earlier in the thread, I'm a 4-time repeat purchaser of new Fords from this dealership since 2006. I would expect my special and very simple request would be granted, at all costs. It takes very little effort to ensure a variance in PDI procedure is granted for this ONE car. If they can ensure dealer add-ons are performed, prior to customer delivery, they can damned sure skip the standard drilling of bumper covers for a front plate.

This newer sales manager must quickly learn that all customers are not mushrooms. I was driving Fords well prior to his birth. Our laws are on the Internet for easy access. With the exception of lawyer-like run-on sentences, the statutes are fairly straight forward and easy to interpret. If holes are drilled, he'll clearly be at fault and I'll tenaciously see that I get what I asked for, or my attorney friend will. Their choice. I've given them fair warning.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Fantastic news, just a few minutes ago... The dealership's General Manager conveyed that no license plate brackets will be installed on any Mustang and no holes will be drilled until further notice, ensuring mine isn't touched. That's a load off my mind. I guess my desire DOES matter after all.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #43
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Hoss View Post
Fantastic news, just a few minutes ago... The dealership's General Manager conveyed that no license plate brackets will be installed on any Mustang and no holes will be drilled until further notice, ensuring mine isn't touched. That's a load off my mind. I guess my desire DOES matter after all.
I knew they would eventually come around.

HID end all thread
Old 05-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I knew they would eventually come around.
Might have been that intimidatingly bright red "Retired Marine" ballcap I was wearing on Monday.
Anyway, thanks for enduring my whiney posts on this subject. All is well and my STO n SHO bracket is paid for and on its way.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Might have been that intimidatingly bright red "Retired Marine" ballcap I was wearing on Monday.
Anyway, thanks for enduring my whiney posts on this subject. All is well and my STO n SHO bracket is paid for and on its way.
I can't wait to hear your opinion on the sto and sho.
thejohncarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

FYI...I got pulled for speeding today, cop asked where my front plate was and I told him in my back seat and it is no longer required by Tx law to have a front plate...He said ok and gave me a warning for speeding.
BIGHOSS5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

I wish MO would go ahead and delete the front plate. But, I doubt it will ever see the state house floor again. Cops griped and lawmakers folded.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejohncarlson View Post
I can't wait to hear your opinion on the sto and sho.
You looking to own one too? I think it will be a dandy addition. Besides, if MO ever deletes the plate, I won't have to fill and paint unsightly holes in the front fascia.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You looking to own one too? I think it will be a dandy addition. Besides, if MO ever deletes the plate, I won't have to fill and paint unsightly holes in the front fascia.
When I bought my car the front plate was already drilled and installed. Then I had a wreck and the front bumper was replaced. I just can't bring myself to drill new holes so I have been looking at alternatives.

I don't really like the plate placement being so low but, I think I will run with the plate off most of the time.

I had been looking at another no drill plate holder is a little cheaper but does not go on and off as easily. I am still not sure which of the two I like better.
thejohncarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejohncarlson View Post
When I bought my car the front plate was already drilled and installed. Then I had a wreck and the front bumper was replaced. I just can't bring myself to drill new holes so I have been looking at alternatives.

I don't really like the plate placement being so low but, I think I will run with the plate off most of the time.

I had been looking at another no drill plate holder is a little cheaper but does not go on and off as easily. I am still not sure which of the two I like better.
I have an uncle that is a machinist. I'll probably try to get him involved in drilling the spring-loaded locking pin, so I can ensure some degree of security. I won't be pulling the plate very often anyway. Just didn't want the car drilled from day one, in case my state finally wises up and goes to one plate.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGHOSS5.0 View Post
FYI...I got pulled for speeding today, cop asked where my front plate was and I told him in my back seat and it is no longer required by Tx law to have a front plate...He said ok and gave me a warning for speeding.
I guess he doesn't know the law hasn't changed. It's not likely you'd have received a ticket for it anyway.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorDog009 View Post
I guess he doesn't know the law hasn't changed. It's not likely you'd have received a ticket for it anyway.
Yeah, he acted like he didn't want to be there...he was cool though, they zapped 4 of us at once and pulled us all over...I was just going with the flow, they were standing on the side of the road. It was in front of a construction site. My guess is the safety rep off the site complained about people speeding so the Sheriff made this guys go out there. I have mad respect for the Sheriff Dept here Montgomery County, all of there officers I have met are very professional and polite. Which is more then I can say for any of the City police I have meet here (so far).
BIGHOSS5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGHOSS5.0 View Post
Yeah, he acted like he didn't want to be there...he was cool though, they zapped 4 of us at once and pulled us all over...I was just going with the flow, they were standing on the side of the road. It was in front of a construction site. My guess is the safety rep off the site complained about people speeding so the Sheriff made this guys go out there. I have mad respect for the Sheriff Dept here Montgomery County, all of there officers I have met are very professional and polite. Which is more then I can say for any of the City police I have meet here (so far).
Yea I've heard a few things about some city guys down that way. I know there are always bad apples, but it sucks when too many of them end up at the same department. Glad to hear you just got a warning though
Old 05-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #54
ME Bloodhound
Staff

The day I brought the Mustang home I took off the front plate lol

HID end all thread
Old 05-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #55

Region: Canada
When I first got my 2012 GT/CS I told the dealership to not install the front plate mount, and 3 tickets later it's still not installed, I'd rather take a ticket, I didn't pay the extra 6-8 thousand for a sexy CS just to have a white ugly plate on sleek black front lol , personal opinion I guess ahaha
Danfullarton is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT