License plate question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-22-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
License plate question

I live in texas, in texas we have a front license plate law that requires you to have a front plate. Do not want to get pulled over for any stupid reason. Soy question is where are you all putting your front plates and how are you attaching them. There is no place to put one on my 11' gt 5.0. Just wondering. Do not want to drill any holes in my bumper.
Jsmorley81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Idk how it is for you guys but in Cali they let us have it on inside the windshield
Old 10-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmorley81 View Post
I live in texas, in texas we have a front license plate law that requires you to have a front plate. Do not want to get pulled over for any stupid reason. Soy question is where are you all putting your front plates and how are you attaching them. There is no place to put one on my 11' gt 5.0. Just wondering. Do not want to drill any holes in my bumper.
There is a front plate law in Ohio too. A few of my friends have something like this. A flip up front license plate frame. This a a manual one but there is also a motorized one....hope it helps.

Mustang Flip Down License Plate Holder - Manual at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Gripping the wheel, his knuckles went white with desire! The wheels of his Mustang exploding on the highway like a slug from a .45. True death: 400 horsepower of maximum performance piercing the night...This is Black Sunshine-White Zombie
13BlkSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Well. I have been running almost a year without my front plate!!! I don't venture outside of Houston much.

When i do, I wedge the plate in between the windshield and the dash on the passenger side. Nice and snug and totally visible. I believe it is legal to so that, and I see a lot of cars in Houston doing that too (nicer cars).

There are a lot here that don't run front plates as well. 1/5 of the cars I see.

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Check ccmustangbrackets.com

Look for your model year. I got one so I could put a Boilermakers plate in front of my 11 black 5.0

Think I paid like 36 bucks
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Does your car have a indentation where a plate would go? It's. Hard for me to tell. My car does have one and at some point the previous owner had one on the front (there are two holes). I haven't put mine on. Its still in the original envelope under my driverseat. I also have a bra on my car. I have never ever been stopped or questioned.
SCCofSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Does your car have a indentation where a plate would go? It's. Hard for me to tell. My car does have one and at some point the previous owner had one on the front (there are two holes). I haven't put mine on. Its still in the original envelope under my driverseat. I also have a bra on my car. I have never ever been stopped or questioned.

UPDATE. I went checked your album and saw that you don't have the indentations. BTW Sweet Mustang!! If you don't want a ticket, I'd listen to Midnight or get a bra it will protect the front end from roadtrash and no need to put a plate on.
SCCofSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
there are many front plate holders that dont require holes, get one of those and you should be good. Some are quick disconnects so you can pop them off at shows/events so the car looks better
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

If you really want to attatch it to the bumper, if you pull the whole front off, as in grill, bumper, and lower valence, then you can get to the backside of the bumper.

There are two spots that stick out like straws. You drill through those. You'll also want to make sure you get the right bracket, as the one I have from Ford, that was already installed for me (yay for having the holes and no choice in the matter...) is curved to snug to the bumper.

Also recommend not using the cheap plastic tabs that come with it to hold the bracket on. Already lost one bracket, and had to buy new license plates.

Second bracket I used screws and nuts and bolted that sucker down tight. It won't be going anywhere anytime soon.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:43 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tominkc
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCofSV

UPDATE. I went checked your album and saw that you don't have the indentations. BTW Sweet Mustang!! If you don't want a ticket, I'd listen to Midnight or get a bra it will protect the front end from roadtrash and no need to put a plate on.
Ford does sale a front plate bracket!! One mounts underneath the bumper, and one screws to the front bumper!!
Tominkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

BTW - it is not legal in Texas to put the front plate in your window. It has to be in the proper location and there can be nothing covering it.

That said, I ran without a front plate on my old SRT and was only pulled over twice in four years. One warning and I got a ticket in Plano once. They said I could put the plate on, take a picture and they would dismiss the ticket. I used twist ties to attach it to the grill, took the picture and then took it right back off.
thejohncarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Any one got a pic.
Jsmorley81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

It has to be at the front of the vehicle, not just facing the front. Yea, sometimes you might get away with it, but it's really almost easier to just not run one and take your chances, since other states around us don't have front LPs. Unless the officer was paying attention to notice you don't have a front LP and have a Texas rear LP or 2 stickers on your windshield, you're good to go. Having it in the window sticks out like a sore thumb to the guy stopping cars for no front LP. I've been in law enforcement for 11 years now. No front LP isn't one of my pet peeves though, because I don't run one on my cars.

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejohncarlson View Post
BTW - it is not legal in Texas to put the front plate in your window. It has to be in the proper location and there can be nothing covering it.

That said, I ran without a front plate on my old SRT and was only pulled over twice in four years. One warning and I got a ticket in Plano once. They said I could put the plate on, take a picture and they would dismiss the ticket. I used twist ties to attach it to the grill, took the picture and then took it right back off.
That works unless the judge wants to verify it in person, then you're screwed. In smaller towns where they're not very busy, it's possible. Larger cities, you can get away with it most of the time.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:53 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13BlkSunshine

There is a front plate law in Ohio too. A few of my friends have something like this. A flip up front license plate frame. This a a manual one but there is also a motorized one....hope it helps.

Mustang Flip Down License Plate Holder - Manual at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
I keep mine on the passenger floor. I'm "waiting for my appointment at Roush to get it put on, since they forgot..." if I get pulled over. If it becomes a bjg deal, I will just attach it to my grille. Supposedly we are switching to rear plate only, in Ohio.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:19 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
This is a do it yourself one i found on you tube. Hope this helps you guys.

Old 10-23-2012, 05:18 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc

I keep mine on the passenger floor. I'm "waiting for my appointment at Roush to get it put on, since they forgot..." if I get pulled over. If it becomes a bjg deal, I will just attach it to my grille. Supposedly we are switching to rear plate only, in Ohio.
I have been hearing that, and I am going to be pissed since I have two holes in my bumper I didn't get a choice on. Not sure what I am going to do if that happens.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I never ran a front plate on my last car. In 15 years I had one fixit (and there's a story there)--I just paid the $25 extortion & moved on. Front plate currently rides in the trunk. If I have to, I'll get one of those removable brackets.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Exclamation Bumpity Bump

This is an item that I will be facing when my new GT arrives. I know it is well covered on the forum but, it's worth mentioning again for those of us that hate drilling holes to install cheap and flimsy factory brackets. Below will be my choice. It's a little pricey but, easy as pie to install and operate.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/license-plate-bracket-sto-n-sho-v6-gt-2013-2014/p/LPB25/

Mustang STO N SHO License Plate Bracket Installation 2013-2014 - YouTube
Missouri Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The way the law is worded in Texas you must have a plate visible from the front and from the rear. No where in the law does it state you must have it visible outside the vehicle. Unless the locals are complete yahoos you should be alright. I understand people don't want to drill holes in their cars and typically look the other way as do most of the guys I work with.
Harris2107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I have had my car 2.5 years now, my front plate is on a shelf in my garage. Been pulled over twice about no front plate, did not get a ticket either time. Both times, the officers BS'd with me about the car and how they had a Camaro but wished they had gotten a Stang.

OrganDonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:35 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

OD, I can only hope my local LE is as understanding as yours. I'll sure be testing them. IMHO, if trucks can run one tag here (front), cars should be able to run a rear tag only. I hope the MO legislature takes this up again and passes it.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:35 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

rowdyrides.com • View topic - Front license plates no longer required in Texas as of right now, you dont need a plate!
86 muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:35 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
Idk how it is for you guys but in Cali they let us have it on inside the windshield
Indeed we do. It's a shame my front license plate is no where near my car. I have it packed up somewhere.

Cops really don't care about it, at least as far as I've noticed. I had one cop actually roll his window down at a red light as ask if I "wanted to race."

Yes, he was joking. Obviously. I think....
Klaximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:54 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
There was a loop hole in the law...they forgot something and the front plates are going away. As of 09/01/13 there will no longer issue front plates. I have been running without my front plat for over a month and I have not had an issue.

Texas Lawmakers Accidentally Omit 2 License Plate Law

83(R) HB 657 - Introduced version - Bill Text
BIGHOSS5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #25
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I live in Cali and have no front plate, tinted headlights, tinted tail lights, and no catalytic converters. Cops don't even give me a glance. I have never even been pulled over and I get on it a lot. I'm sure you will be fine.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Wink Pissing Contest at the Dealership Today

I live in MO and my new 2014 GT is scheduled to arrive on the 10th of May.

I made contact with my dealership's sales manager and told him I wanted no holes drilled and no front plate bracket installed, because I will be installing a "Sho N Go" bracket within the 30 day license transfer grace period. He said, "When new vehicles are delivered to us, we do a PDI and the shop guys automatically install one, because it's state law. We have no way of tracking your special request to avoid standard PDI procedures. We can't sell a car without providing for a front plate." My position is, THE SALES MANAGER HAS HAD FAIR WARNING, AS WITNESSED BY MY SALESMAN, 11 DAYS OUT!!! If he drills holes in my (special ordered) 2014 GT, he'll either replace the front fascia (at no charge to me) or he'll be parking it on the front row to sell. If that doesn't suit him, I'll contact the dealership owner (good and reasonable guy) and let him know his firm will be sued because his sales manager is a dumb ***. He'll also know I'll be getting my "special order deposit" back without purchase.

I've already notified an attorney friend that is cocked and primed (pro bono) to see that I'm protected from people that refuse to do as they're told."
Old 04-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #27
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Hoss View Post
I live in MO and my new 2014 GT is scheduled to arrive on the 10th of May.

I made contact with my dealership's sales manager and told him I wanted no holes drilled and no front plate bracket installed, because I will be installing a "Sho N Go" bracket within the 30 day license transfer grace period. He said, "When new vehicles are delivered to us, we do a PDI and the shop guys automatically install one, because it's state law. We have no way of tracking your special request to avoid standard PDI procedures. We can't sell a car without providing for a front plate." My position is, THE SALES MANAGER HAS HAD FAIR WARNING, AS WITNESSED BY MY SALESMAN, 11 DAYS OUT!!! If he drills holes in my (special ordered) 2014 GT, he'll either replace the front fascia (at no charge to me) or he'll be parking it on the front row to sell. If that doesn't suit him, I'll contact the dealership owner (good and reasonable guy) and let him know his firm will be sued because his sales manager is a dumb ***. He'll also know I'll be getting my "special order deposit" back without purchase.

I've already notified an attorney friend that is cocked and primed (pro bono) to see that I'm protected from people that refuse to do as they're told."
Exactly what I would do if I was buying a new car

HID end all thread
Old 04-29-2013, 03:58 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Exactly what I would do if I was buying a new car
I get soooo tired of people sitting behind a desk and making excuses why they can't do something out of the ordinary. He was trying to manipulate someone he probably believes is a dumb, know-nothing hillbilly. He doesn't know me, I assure you. I made a simple request and he should honor it, regardless of his standard PDI procedures. After all, I'm a 4-time repeat customer with $135,000 worth of purchases under my belt. They also exclusively have had my servicing and repair business since 2006. They'll either grant my simple request or there will be hell to pay. Come to think of it, I will be backing up my request by calling the dealership owner today or tomorrow. I don't want to blind-side my friend.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:08 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGHOSS5.0 View Post

There was a loop hole in the law...they forgot something and the front plates are going away. As of 09/01/13 there will no longer issue front plates. I have been running without my front plat for over a month and I have not had an issue.

Texas Lawmakers Accidentally Omit 2 License Plate Law

83(R) HB 657 - Introduced version - Bill Text
I would not take your legal advise from the Internet.

HB 657 has not passed.

Also, the loophole does not say that you do not have to have a front plate. It actually says the opposite, you must have a front plate. They just forgot to specify a punishment for not having one. They can still pull you over and write you a ticket but, it may get thrown out of court.
thejohncarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:57 PM   #30
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Hoss View Post

I get soooo tired of people sitting behind a desk and making excuses why they can't do something out of the ordinary. He was trying to manipulate someone he probably believes is a dumb, know-nothing hillbilly. He doesn't know me, I assure you. I made a simple request and he should honor it, regardless of his standard PDI procedures. After all, I'm a 4-time repeat customer with $135,000 worth of purchases under my belt. They also exclusively have had my servicing and repair business since 2006. They'll either grant my simple request or there will be hell to pay. Come to think of it, I will be backing up my request by calling the dealership owner today or tomorrow. I don't want to blind-side my friend.
Does the law state that the plate needs to be mounted to the bumper? If not then they should have no right to drill into any persons bumper for the plate.

HID end all thread
Old 04-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
If the dealer said its required for them to provide a place to mount the brackets I don't for see them not doing it . Might wana stay on top of that as the only person who will care is you the people at dealer will just drill it and say its state law lol
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:47 PM   #32
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
If the dealer said its required for them to provide a place to mount the brackets I don't for see them not doing it . Might wana stay on top of that as the only person who will care is you the people at dealer will just drill it and say its state law lol
That's the thing, if its not a state law that it needs to be mounted to the bumper and they still drill the holes without your permission they should be at fault.

HID end all thread
Old 04-29-2013, 09:01 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Well he didn't say If it was state law there or not if its not state law you should have a choice of it is state law the dealer will try to cover thenselvesb
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris2107 View Post
The way the law is worded in Texas you must have a plate visible from the front and from the rear. No where in the law does it state you must have it visible outside the vehicle. Unless the locals are complete yahoos you should be alright. I understand people don't want to drill holes in their cars and typically look the other way as do most of the guys I work with.
502.404 of the Transportation code says:

(a) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a passenger car or commercial motor vehicle that does not display two license plates, at the front and rear of the vehicle.

The front of the vehicle isn't the windshield. The rear isn't the back window either. I'm not going to write a ticket for it being in the windshield unless John Q. Citizen gets an attitude, then he's getting a citation for every possible infraction. It has to be visible outside the vehicle, we're still a 2-tag state.

One drug dealer relied on the license plate in the front windshield "could be" at the front of the vehicle. Of course, he lost that one.

The Court of Criminal Appeals settled the disagreement in Spence v. State, 325 S.W.3d 646 (2010) when it agreed with the Amarillo Court of Appeals and held that the statute requires the license plate to be on the foremost area or beginning of the car, most commonly the front bumper.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:20 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2322160191.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	616.6 KB
ID:	105105

I have this on since the beginning of March. Guess I better switch out... Lol
Musskao is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT