Stuck on the fence What power adder - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-28-2012, 10:27 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidRRaxle

One and the same. Same company. Vortech bought Paxton, I don't believe there is any significant difference in the design. Just keeping them separate because some people have grown to know 'Paxton' as 'the best' I would assume. The name itself has a pedigree, no reason to try to convert them.

If you want centri, go procharger. No snipping and uses its own oil (no tapping into your oil pan). Just my opinion
Paxton uses their own head unit in the 2200, bigger head unit then the vortec. They also are self lubricated, new centris don't require to tap into your oil pan anymore. Pro charger has a retarded location for the intake and they are a lil more proud of their product price wise. They are all good kits, just look into what you want out of it. Paxton can support 1000whp with its head unit and intercooler so you can keep upgrading if you get tired of it. Being its a bigger head unit it spools up a lil later but nbd. Mine really kicks in at 4300 and damn is it fun!
JG5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 05:07 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidRRaxle View Post
One and the same. Same company. Vortech bought Paxton, I don't believe there is any significant difference in the design. Just keeping them separate because some people have grown to know 'Paxton' as 'the best' I would assume. The name itself has a pedigree, no reason to try to convert them.

If you want centri, go procharger. No snipping and uses its own oil (no tapping into your oil pan). Just my opinion
There is no tapping of the oil pan with the vortech/Paxton either, unless you specifically order the one that requires it. I have the Paxton 2200SL (self lubricating). I believe on the '13 models, there is no cutting of the front required. I had to trim mine, but it's not as bad as people make it out to be. Also if you get the larger intercooler with the Procharger(which is the same size as the base Vortech/Paxton), you have to do some trimming on the '11-'12s.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Ok Finished my install and it took about 14 hrs or so...I was in no hurry and was very meticulous. The kit went together well! I did the job by myself and only had help to mount the turbo and intercooler. The instructions were great with a lot of pictures but in some places I had to read a few times put the stuff in place and then take back and down again because I missed something....the instructions are arent updated with a few new things added to kit...but pretty easy to figure out. The instructions are on a cd in pdf form so I took to my friends print company and he made a book for me to use (Highly recomended). I did cut the front facia in a few places on the back side because I didn't feel like taking the intercooler back out and putting in spacers but I believe you could easily put it spacers to take care of it. I am super impressed with the kit! The only negative thing in my whole ordeal was the tune. The one that was sent didn't start the car. Called them and they are writing me a new one and I should have it in a few days. The factory tune started the car! If you look under the hood it looks factory with a cold air intake (I love that about this kit). I will let everyone know how the first drive goes when I get the new tune!!! Also the kit is complete..I had to go to parts store for one part a exhaust clamp because the one they sent was too small most likely because of a wastegate change.

2012 6 speed GT with a 8psi Hellion Single Turbo Kit tuned by BBR, GFB Geforce II controller, ID1000 injectors, BAP, GT500 Mufflers no cats, MGW shifter, Dual Aeroforce Interceptor gauges and AMR Wheels. BMR upper control arm and bracket, Whiteline panhard brace, BBR LCA's and Panhard Bar. 552/597 at 7.8 psi
6SpeedFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalEl370

There is no tapping of the oil pan with the vortech/Paxton either, unless you specifically order the one that requires it. I have the Paxton 2200SL (self lubricating). I believe on the '13 models, there is no cutting of the front required. I had to trim mine, but it's not as bad as people make it out to be. Also if you get the larger intercooler with the Procharger(which is the same size as the base Vortech/Paxton), you have to do some trimming on the '11-'12s.
Good to know, if it is self lubricating then I will start considering it again
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #40
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Whoa, I would be very careful driving that car on stock tune, in fact I wouldn't even start the car with stock tune. I would wait for the email tune, then limp like a 2 legged dog to the dyno for tuning

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #41
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Any pics of install?

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 12-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Whoa, I would be very careful driving that car on stock tune, in fact I wouldn't even start the car with stock tune. I would wait for the email tune, then limp like a 2 legged dog to the dyno for tuning
Not driving car on tune...All I did was start it and shut it down to confim that the custom tune was bad. I figured that they do so many of them that I could have had something else wrong but install was pretty basic and nothing changed motor wise besides injectors and plug gap...I know with the larger injectors would be super rich but didn't feel I would float the pistons with a 2 second start.

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Any pics of install?
I took a few but have no idea of how to upload them.

2012 6 speed GT with a 8psi Hellion Single Turbo Kit tuned by BBR, GFB Geforce II controller, ID1000 injectors, BAP, GT500 Mufflers no cats, MGW shifter, Dual Aeroforce Interceptor gauges and AMR Wheels. BMR upper control arm and bracket, Whiteline panhard brace, BBR LCA's and Panhard Bar. 552/597 at 7.8 psi
Old 12-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennyhill

Superchargers last longer! 2 times or more life in a charger!
Not really if u get a ball bearing turbo that has adiquet oil running to it
Old 12-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
I've had both roots style in the past and now own a centri... If you're looking for straight up instant torque then the obvious is gonna be the roots but if you want to have it come on a little later and be a little more linear then the centri is where it's at. I absolutely love how my vortech drives/runs.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Ok Well, Got a good tune in it did some data logging and finally drove the car a little hard....O MY LORD!!!! I absolutely love it...It is like hitting a 150 shot when it hits 3500 RPM...I love it...I did have to put it on a lift cuz I had rubbing but it was a bracket bolt hitting tire in the turn..rotated the clamp and cut some of the excess bolt off...It it is perfect. Did I say OMG yet...this thing is absolutely awesome...Drives and idles stock...and roast the tires in any gear at 3500 RPM...I thought the 19x9.5 with 331 gear would be ok...ahh that would be a nope!!...Kit was pretty easy and Im in love with my car now...just don't want to stop driving...

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

Also had car at my buddies shop using the lift had the hood up and some guy came over and was like "All you have is a cold air intake on it" I was like "yeah that is all" So happy about this purchase...I will keep everyone informed good and bad over the next few months. But right now I give it an A++++!

Old 12-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
After calling many many tuner shop they mostly told me that paxton was the way to go. But i heard that roush was working on a new kit for 5.0, so i will wait a little to commit to one
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post
After calling many many tuner shop they mostly told me that paxton was the way to go. But i heard that roush was working on a new kit for 5.0, so i will wait a little to commit to one
I wouldn't count the turbo out! I absolutely love mine and it really wasn't that hard to install!

Old 12-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
TT is cool and all but damn 8500+ is alot of cash
Single turbo is great too...twins are generally for higher psi and HP mostly a single is great for 6 to 10 psi street cars.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedFreak View Post

Single turbo is great too...twins are generally for higher psi and HP mostly a single is great for 6 to 10 psi street cars.
Yea i read that on the link u posted, great article by the way
I might go with paxton or single turbo, what will have a higher resale value?? The only down side i see is that i am getting lt headers from borla so turbo wouldnt go with that.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea i read that on the link u posted, great article by the way
I might go with paxton or single turbo, what will have a higher resale value?? The only down side i see is that i am getting lt headers from borla so turbo wouldnt go with that.
Thanks, that is what pushed me over to turbo!! Also with a turbo you don't need headers! and headers plus sc equals turbo price!

Old 12-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks, that is what pushed me over to turbo!! Also with a turbo you don't need headers! and headers plus sc equals turbo price!
I have a sponsorship with borla so i get full exhaust for free all i need to buy is a tune. I already got the quad borla axle back.
I have a friend of mine that his uncle has a turbo 5.0 fox so installation wouldn't be a problem.
How much is a GOOD turbo kit with tune??
Old 12-10-2012, 09:56 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have a sponsorship with borla so i get full exhaust for free all i need to buy is a tune. I already got the quad borla axle back.
I have a friend of mine that his uncle has a turbo 5.0 fox so installation wouldn't be a problem.
How much is a GOOD turbo kit with tune??
I paid 5900 to the door..And the Tune is included and done by BBR...I haven't dynoed yet but that is extra...the A/F has been pretty spot on..just have to do a few data logs to get it all right.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I paid 5900 to the door..And the Tune is included and done by BBR...I haven't dynoed yet but that is extra...the A/F has been pretty spot on..just have to do a few data logs to get it all right.
5900 is not bad at all for a turbo. I will do a little more research and see if in the near future something else comes out.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Does anyone know if the roush supercharger keeps the factory warranty?
Joyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride View Post
Does anyone know if the roush supercharger keeps the factory warranty?
No...None of them keep the factory warranty! They only supplement them if their item is deemed to be the cause.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:11 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

No...None of them keep the factory warranty! They only supplement them if their item is deemed to be the cause.
Actually yes they do keep the factory warranty. I spoke to roush and people at the ford dealer about it. It goes with the factory 3 year warranty. Not the entended
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:44 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladezx View Post
Actually yes they do keep the factory warranty. I spoke to roush and people at the ford dealer about it. It goes with the factory 3 year warranty. Not the entended
Ok this is my understanding of it...I may be wrong! But you never lose your full factory warranty...Any time you mod and it is deemed to be the cause then Ford don't cover that item but the rest of the warranty is still in tact. Why would ford cover something that roush gets paid to put on your car?
If you read Roush website it offers a "optional 3 year 36k warranty"

5.0L Mustang 575HP R2300 Calibrated Supercharger Kit

Old 12-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
If your that worried about warranty them don't do FI. IMHO Amy warranty you may get wont be worth the money you spent on it. Just have to accept if you mod them warranty is useless, if you break it just fix it better than stock
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Just doooooo it! I waited 10k miles before I did mine just to see if anything looked like it was going to go or if something wasn't right etc. Talk to your dealership and usually they will go along with it, this is a HUGE part of it!
JG5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ok this is my understanding of it...I may be wrong! But you never lose your full factory warranty...Any time you mod and it is deemed to be the cause then Ford don't cover that item but the rest of the warranty is still in tact. Why would ford cover something that roush gets paid to put on your car?
If you read Roush website it offers a "optional 3 year 36k warranty"

5.0L Mustang 575HP R2300 Calibrated Supercharger Kit
If you get it installed by a ford technician it still goes on your warranty. That optional warranty is for 3 years after installation. So if you have a year left of factory warranty you can get roushes optional 3 year warranty for a price. If you get it installed while having factory warrant its warrantied til your factory warranty is done. That's if a ford technician installs it. Believe me I've talked to my dealers parts people and mechanics about it. Roush and ford are partners so ford does honor sc.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Took this from Roush's site

This kit is protected by an extended parts warranty (ROUSH Supplied Parts Only), which is for 3 years or 36,000 miles from retail purchase date. An optional 3 year/36,000 Mile Powetrain Warranty is available, which is for 3 years or 36,000 miles from the original vehicle in service date from Ford. Please contact ROUSH customer service for more information at 1-800-59-ROUSH

Old 12-13-2012, 05:05 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Took this from Roush's site

This kit is protected by an extended parts warranty (ROUSH Supplied Parts Only), which is for 3 years or 36,000 miles from retail purchase date. An optional 3 year/36,000 Mile Powetrain Warranty is available, which is for 3 years or 36,000 miles from the original vehicle in service date from Ford. Please contact ROUSH customer service for more information at 1-800-59-ROUSH
Idc what that says. The parts warranty is 3 years from date of install. It's still covered under factory warranty as ford approves of the product and it getting installed by their technicians. I have 2 buddies with roush scs and they still have factory warranty. The optional power train would be for 3 years after install not 3 years of having the car. You should probably go talk to a ford dealer since your still not understanding what I'm
Telling you. If you but the sc with no optional warranty the parts for the sc will be 3 years. Anything that goes wrong within your factory warranty is still covered if it is installed by a ford technician.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladezx View Post

Idc what that says. The parts warranty is 3 years from date of install. It's still covered under factory warranty as ford approves of the product and it getting installed by their technicians. I have 2 buddies with roush scs and they still have factory warranty. The optional power train would be for 3 years after install not 3 years of having the car. You should probably go talk to a ford dealer since your still not understanding what I'm
Telling you. If you but the sc with no optional warranty the parts for the sc will be 3 years. Anything that goes wrong within your factory warranty is still covered if it is installed by a ford technician.
Correct, getting the phase 1 kit (575 HP) just keeps your original factory warranty in tact if you pay a $350 fee from Roush. As long as its installed by a Ford tech. No 'extended' warranties. The SC has a 3yr/36,000 mile warranty on itself from date on instal for any phased install by a Ford tech from date of installl. Get the phase 2+ SC and you only void your engine/powertrain warranty which is what I did.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Would it be more cost effective to go with a Paxton or Procharger rather than get a roush? What are the chances of something breaking? How much would it cost to fix it?
Old 12-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride
Would it be more cost effective to go with a Paxton or Procharger rather than get a roush? What are the chances of something breaking? How much would it cost to fix it?
There are a LOT of opinions on this one. Cost-wise you could maybe save a little going centri, but the difference there is negligible.

Displacement SC's will give you boost the moment you step on the gas and keep it going. They are harder on the bottom of your motor though mostly for this same reason. They are also heavier and placed high up. Finally, they are prone to heat soak (to varying degrees depending on the cooling method) so the car will get progressively slower run after run when continually driven.

Centri SC's have very little boost in the first few thousand RPMs because they are driven straight off the belt. They kick *** once you're around 3200 (there are factors that make this figure vary) though and only get more fun as you get closer to redline. This means a roots or screw of similar price will smoke a centri from a standstill. Because they don't go full boost from the start, some say they are much easier on the bottom of the motor. Some also say they are more "efficient", but centri manufacturers want to use different measurements for efficiency

That being said, I am getting a centri but I have a lot of respect for roots and screw
Old 12-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #66
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Solidraxle was pretty much spot on, except I think you could save quite a bit on a centri over a twin screw. If you look in the right places a full Paxton kit can be had for about 4k and the cheapest roush full kit I've seen was on jegs for 5600, not eve sure if they're still running that special

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 12-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidRRaxle

There are a LOT of opinions on this one. Cost-wise you could maybe save a little going centri, but the difference there is negligible.

Displacement SC's will give you boost the moment you step on the gas and keep it going. They are harder on the bottom of your motor though mostly for this same reason. They are also heavier and placed high up. Finally, they are prone to heat soak (to varying degrees depending on the cooling method) so the car will get progressively slower run after run when continually driven.

Centri SC's have very little boost in the first few thousand RPMs because they are driven straight off the belt. They kick *** once you're around 3200 (there are factors that make this figure vary) though and only get more fun as you get closer to redline. This means a roots or screw of similar price will smoke a centri from a standstill. Because they don't go full boost from the start, some say they are much easier on the bottom of the motor. Some also say they are more "efficient", but centri manufacturers want to use different measurements for efficiency

That being said, I am getting a centri but I have a lot of respect for roots and screw
How much hp could you lose from heat soak? And would you have to reinforce anything for 600 flywheel hp?
Old 12-14-2012, 01:11 PM   #68
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

How much hp could you lose from heat soak? And would you have to reinforce anything for 600 flywheel hp?
Heat soak is hard to determine but the PCM will easily pull a few degrees of timing to prevent detonation what IATs get too high and you could easily lose 40+ hp.

Nothing really needs to be reinforced at 600 fwhp. I would look at getting upgraded suspension and wheels for sure and maybe an aftermarket clutch. But these motors will handle 600 fwhp pretty easily. They handle 600 rwhp pretty easily

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 12-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0

Solidraxle was pretty much spot on, except I think you could save quite a bit on a centri over a twin screw. If you look in the right places a full Paxton kit can be had for about 4k and the cheapest roush full kit I've seen was on jegs for 5600, not eve sure if they're still running that special
I'm looking at Paxton or ProCh. If u know where I can get Paxton (with tune, injectors and inter cooler) below about 5400 PLEASE shoot me a pm with the info. That would mean I could get the kit and the oil pump for the same price as I expected to pay on the kit alone
Old 12-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #70
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidRRaxle View Post

I'm looking at Paxton or ProCh. If u know where I can get Paxton (with tune, injectors and inter cooler) below about 5400 PLEASE shoot me a pm with the info. That would mean I could get the kit and the oil pump for the same price as I expected to pay on the kit alone
Sent you a PM

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT