Stuck on the fence What power adder - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-26-2012, 07:50 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Stuck on the fence What power adder

Im am stuck on the fence....trying to decide between the Roush TVS...Hellion single...or the twin turbo system...Not all that concerned with price but not planning on a changing my block any time soon...Heard TQ curve is great with turbos and the SC falls flat at High RPM...Im not looking to do too much track stuff...car isn't an everyday driver...I just love the feel of all the power....Read gobs of sites about pros and cons but they all seem to be tailored to their product...Hoping to get some insight from owners of each system!

2012 6 speed GT with a 8psi Hellion Single Turbo Kit tuned by BBR, GFB Geforce II controller, ID1000 injectors, BAP, GT500 Mufflers no cats, MGW shifter, Dual Aeroforce Interceptor gauges and AMR Wheels. BMR upper control arm and bracket, Whiteline panhard brace, BBR LCA's and Panhard Bar. 552/597 at 7.8 psi
6SpeedFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 07:56 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Well, im not going to be any help at all as i dont know enough about forced induction yet. But i did want to stop by to thank you for taking the time to make your question an understandable one. Easy to read, rational, everything is spelled correctly and its obvious your question isnt a half-*** thought. Im sure your post will do well and get a good amount of feedback. Sorry OP i couldnt resist

... Just get tired of seing all the goofy **** people double and tripple post all day that was chopped to hell and back the first time. Good luck

Borla Exhaust Review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eZpnBuQiag

GT500 Muffler sound clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkGKwxQkTc8
Filth and Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
i cant say that ive heard that twin screws fall flat up top. . and even if they did, unless u driving around lime rock race track or a circle track... chances r u wouldnt notice.

however, if money is no object.. i think most ppl here would agree with me and say "go turbo". the horsepower u get per pound of boost is eye wateringly efficient.

but if u just want to feel 5-600hp at your feet and just love low end grunt (like most ppl) . just get the twin screw. your butt dyno will not know the difference..

i realize what i said prolly doesnt help. so if u can, try to ride n a turbo car.. then a twin screw car... and u will know better what u want

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedFreak View Post
Im am stuck on the fence....trying to decide between the Roush TVS...Hellion single...or the twin turbo system...Not all that concerned with price but not planning on a changing my block any time soon...Heard TQ curve is great with turbos and the SC falls flat at High RPM...Im not looking to do too much track stuff...car isn't an everyday driver...I just love the feel of all the power....Read gobs of sites about pros and cons but they all seem to be tailored to their product...Hoping to get some insight from owners of each system!
I know you didn't mention the Paxton kit, but I think it's one of the best bangs for the buck. I don't drive my car much except for the weekends, but when I do, I love feeling that power. Mods are in my sig and I made 622rwhp and 466tq with the stock pulley at about 7.5 lbs of boost. I don't think you can go wrong with any FI setup on these cars....good luck and keep us posted.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #5
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
If you go turbo, DO NOT get the hellion kit. Does not perform nearly as well as the dyno numbers would make you think.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedFreak
I feel we're in the same boat brother. I have my
truck for work and my mustang for fun. I'm not a big track guy either but I do love power. I have past experience with top mount super chargers like eaton, kenne bell, and roush. In my experience I've noticed that blowers are tons of fun with instant throttle response but at the cost of being very hard on the bottom end of the motor. For example a 2011 cts-v comes supercharged and is rated at 556 flywheel hp. The block and rotating assembly are actually doing the work of a 625 to 650 hp engine due to the parasitic properties of supercharges. But with that being said, I have never had any engines damaged because of a supercharger (all were low boost apps 6-12 psi). Specifically the roush was my least favorite. I feel people go to roush due to the price but for me the housing is to small which means its lacking volume. So to try and wrap this up, I have no experience with turbos and roush is on the bottom of my list for superchargers. My 2011 5.0 will have the single turbo hellion kit in the next year or so.
Bluebaretoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Oh yea one more thing. Tuning is everything!!!! Which ever you choose Get it dyno tuned! I think these people who think that the mail order tunes for anything with forced induction are nuts. Every car is different regardless of how modular ford says it is. Perfection is the only way to be sure your getting the full use of your product. These company's will try and tell you that there preprogrammed tune will work and that it cant be wrong because so and so wrote it. It's all bs to get you to spend more money.
Bluebaretoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Im kinda leaning towards the single turbo myself...I know hellion rates their turbo hp with no cats...I believe project blackout on AM is a single turbo kit and put down 650 to the wheels...that is all I would need for quite a while...I know the SC is a tire shredder but I don't really want that...I would like to hear from some people who have the hellion turbo because I can get a single for close to the same price as the SC.

2012 6 speed GT with a 8psi Hellion Single Turbo Kit tuned by BBR, GFB Geforce II controller, ID1000 injectors, BAP, GT500 Mufflers no cats, MGW shifter, Dual Aeroforce Interceptor gauges and AMR Wheels. BMR upper control arm and bracket, Whiteline panhard brace, BBR LCA's and Panhard Bar. 552/597 at 7.8 psi
Old 10-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #9
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

you won't hear from many about hellion turbo kits

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 10-26-2012, 09:51 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalEl370

I know you didn't mention the Paxton kit, but I think it's one of the best bangs for the buck. I don't drive my car much except for the weekends, but when I do, I love feeling that power. Mods are in my sig and I made 622rwhp and 466tq with the stock pulley at about 7.5 lbs of boost. I don't think you can go wrong with any FI setup on these cars....good luck and keep us posted.
What's your setup like since it's still on stock pulley? Paxton tune or custom? BAP? CAI upgrade? Exhaust?
JG5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:32 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG5.0 View Post
What's your setup like since it's still on stock pulley? Paxton tune or custom? BAP? CAI upgrade? Exhaust?
Custom tune by HPP in Lewisville TX, Vortech boost referenced BAP, ID1000 injectors, lethal o/r h pipe, GT500 axle backs, Boss intake, stock airbox.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalEl370

Custom tune by HPP in Lewisville TX, Vortech boost referenced BAP, ID1000 injectors, lethal o/r h pipe, GT500 axle backs, Boss intake, stock airbox.
Nice! Mine is all stock with Paxton's kit so I'm just trying to get some ideas of what works best to add on. My best dyno 558whp, 463tq. I just wanna be able to say 600 haha
JG5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG5.0 View Post
Nice! Mine is all stock with Paxton's kit so I'm just trying to get some ideas of what works best to add on. My best dyno 558whp, 463tq. I just wanna be able to say 600 haha
Off road X or H pipe and the JLT or Vortech CAI will get you 600rwhp for sure. Good luck!
Old 11-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
If I was you I would stay away from turbos iv worked on many they are a pain in the butt to get tuned right for the air to fuel and also you have to worry about turbo lag if the Turbo is not made specifically for your car chances are they use them for every car which is bad u will get lag also turbos are not very user friendly you will have all that tubing to worry about going every we're in the engine bay had to worry bought your oil and are not very reliable now a sc on the other hand if I was you I would go with either a frpp or if you don't want the power on demand which I do you could go with a vortex,procharger, or Paxton I think the anniversary edition vortex looks killer

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinister
If I was you I would stay away from turbos iv worked on many they are a pain in the butt to get tuned right for the air to fuel and also you have to worry about turbo lag if the Turbo is not made specifically for your car chances are they use them for every car which is bad u will get lag also turbos are not very user friendly you will have all that tubing to worry about going every we're in the engine bay had to worry bought your oil and are not very reliable now a sc on the other hand if I was you I would go with either a frpp or if you don't want the power on demand which I do you could go with a vortex,procharger, or Paxton I think the anniversary edition vortex looks killer
I meant vortech my dang phone
sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:14 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Well I decided on the Hellion Single turbo kit. Got it for 5900 shipped so pretty happy with that. I haven't started the install but when I opened the box and did an inventory I was surprised. These guys really pay attention to detail...everything is bagged and labeled...all the bolts and washers that are the same are individually wrapped...All the parts used in the kit are top of the line...The instructions come on a cd and are pretty precise with nice color photos. So Far this kit is great for an OCD person like me...Planning on starting the install on Friday and I will inform you on how I feel about it as I get time!

Old 11-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Which turbo did you go with? The base turbonetics have been known to have issues.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
Which turbo did you go with? The base turbonetics have been known to have issues.
Mine came with a 67mm Precision.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:20 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedFreak
Well I decided on the Hellion Single turbo kit. Got it for 5900 shipped so pretty happy with that. I haven't started the install but when I opened the box and did an inventory I was surprised. These guys really pay attention to detail...everything is bagged and labeled...all the bolts and washers that are the same are individually wrapped...All the parts used in the kit are top of the line...The instructions come on a cd and are pretty precise with nice color photos. So Far this kit is great for an OCD person like me...Planning on starting the install on Friday and I will inform you on how I feel about it as I get time!
U made the right choice turbo is better
Old 11-27-2012, 11:56 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford

It is in some cases. I prefer a sc over a turbo anyday. Just the overall winding sound I love.
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I've been on the fence myself...let us know how you like the turbo once installed...ps how much boost are planning on running
Johnny5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:47 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny5.0 View Post
I've been on the fence myself...let us know how you like the turbo once installed...ps how much boost are planning on running
I'm going to run 6psi for a while. Planning on saving up some more money for supporting mods then I will turn it up to maybe 10psi. The Turbo kit plus the wheels and tires I bought set me back a little while...

Old 11-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Nice...enjoy it and drive safe brother...let us know how everything goes
Johnny5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #23
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Keep us updated, very interested to see how the hellion kit works out for you.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 11-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #24
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Also OP, feel free to make a build thread for your car and/or write up on the install!

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 11-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
What would give you better 1/4 mile times and track day times, a vortex/ paxton or a 2.3L roush??
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #26
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen
What would give you better 1/4 mile times and track day times, a vortex/ paxton or a 2.3L roush??
Paxton hands down

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 11-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0

Paxton hands down
What psi does it usually run? Why paxton over vortech?
Old 11-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #28
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Well I couldn't really tell you the difference between Paxton vortech, but it will definitely produce better track times than the TVS. Not that the TVS isn't great but the paxton is more efficient.

Psi depends on pulley size and head unit, many people run the p1sc with about ~8 psi

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 11-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well I couldn't really tell you the difference between Paxton vortech, but it will definitely produce better track times than the TVS. Not that the TVS isn't great but the paxton is more efficient.

Psi depends on pulley size and head unit, many people run the p1sc with about ~8 psi
Thanks, you just changed my future plans lol
Old 11-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I looked on youtube and tvs are around 11.4-8 but the centri are low to mid 10 with DR and exhaust damn!!!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford

Superchargers last longer! 2 times or more life in a charger!
Bennyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:50 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

What psi does it usually run? Why paxton over vortech?
One and the same. Same company. Vortech bought Paxton, I don't believe there is any significant difference in the design. Just keeping them separate because some people have grown to know 'Paxton' as 'the best' I would assume. The name itself has a pedigree, no reason to try to convert them.

If you want centri, go procharger. No snipping and uses its own oil (no tapping into your oil pan). Just my opinion
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidRRaxle

One and the same. Same company. Vortech bought Paxton, I don't believe there is any significant difference in the design. Just keeping them separate because some people have grown to know 'Paxton' as 'the best' I would assume. The name itself has a pedigree, no reason to try to convert them.

If you want centri, go procharger. No snipping and uses its own oil (no tapping into your oil pan). Just my opinion
I dont know what i want to go with yet, i want the fastest and most reliable way possible, speed is more important that reliability for me.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I dont know what i want to go with yet, i want the fastest and most reliable way possible, speed is more important that reliability for me.
I don't have a degree in mech eng, but in that case I would suggest twin turbo, or a flux capacitor. If I win that dam lottery tonite, you boys can go guck yourselves and I am getting a Veyron with a flux capacitor.... Otherwise, I will be getting the procharger. In the long run, I can build it up beyond a tt
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:58 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

TT is cool and all but damn 8500+ is alot of cash

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT