Y would i fail emissions? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Am3gross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 177
Y would i fail emissions?

If I put long tube headers on? Is it because I would throw a cel? Which if I put a tune on it I shouldn't throw any cels..

I want to do long tube headers, I want to keep the cats, an x pipe, and roush axel backs out the rear... But being in the great common wealth of Virginia and the really stupid emissions that they have I would fail...

And I would like to kow y exactly and if there is a way around it...

Thanks
__________________
2013 ford mustang gt, black, bought 16th of August. Only mod so far is tinted windows.
Am3gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-28-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
doug5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: California
Posts: 224
Same here in California... Do most anything you want after the cats, but very little before. If the LTs weren't such a PITA I'd just swap them for smog. I don't know exactly why technically, but I don't think it will pass visual, even if it could pass the actual test. There are a couple shortys that are CARB legal.
__________________
On Order: 2016 Mustang GT PP

SOLD: 2011 5.0, Auto, C&L CAI, Dyno Tuned, 3.73s, Boss 302 Intake, Magnaflow Competition axlebacks, Stallion Suspension LCAs, Whiteline Sway Bars.

Mustang S550 | Facebook | YouTube
doug5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-29-2012, 12:20 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Terminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: California
Posts: 983
Hopefully I pass with my LTs an bbk xpipe visually you can't see the cats cause my car is to low so idk what will happen
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,656
I always thought that people with LT's fail emissions because the aftermarket cats do not burn off excess fuel well enough, I don't think it is because of the LT's themselves... But hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Am3gross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
I always thought that people with LT's fail emissions because the aftermarket cats do not burn off excess fuel well enough, I don't think it is because of the LT's themselves... But hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong
So you say because of the excessive fuel which makes it run rich?
__________________
2013 ford mustang gt, black, bought 16th of August. Only mod so far is tinted windows.
Am3gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter
 
primer2tone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Corpus Christi
Region: Texas
Posts: 6,752
I'm guessing its not running rich. But the exhaust coming from the pipe would be rich because of the increased flow through the cats can't accommodate.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #7
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,656
^ primer knows what I'm saying. Because there is less catalytic material in aftermarket cats, it allows more unburnt fuel to get through than what the stock cats would. At least this is my theory
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
claudermilk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: California
Posts: 598
Unless I've totally missed something, with LT's you fail because the cats are gone. Even if there are some aftermarket replacements jammed in the small space left between the LT's & the H-pipe section, at least in CA it's still a failure because the cats are no longer in the stock location. Out here the cats are pretty much off-limits.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
aegischief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 492
Depending on your state, just having LTs can cause you to fail due to them not being legal for street use(CARB). If your state just does a OBDII hook up and run a scan, you can get by with LTs and high flow cats. If you have to pass a sniffer, it's goon to depend on your area as some are more stringent than others. In Cali, you'd fail, in Texas you might pass.
aegischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
layton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am3gross View Post
If I put long tube headers on? Is it because I would throw a cel? Which if I put a tune on it I shouldn't throw any cels..

I want to do long tube headers, I want to keep the cats, an x pipe, and roush axel backs out the rear... But being in the great common wealth of Virginia and the really stupid emissions that they have I would fail...

And I would like to kow y exactly and if there is a way around it...

Thanks
if you got your cars registration and license plate from a different state where one of your family members live. since the car wouldn't be registered in that state would you still have to do emissions?
__________________
borla atak axle-back exhaust, 19in rtr wheels wrapped in 255/40r19 goodyear fl supercar tires, airaid cai, tinted windows 10%, grabber blue custom stripes. and last a bad a** driver
layton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Am3gross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by layton View Post
if you got your cars registration and license plate from a different state where one of your family members live. since the car wouldn't be registered in that state would you still have to do emissions?

No I would not and I have thought about that since I am in the military and I can easily go where no inspection is needed... But that would be a pain in the *** for sure.. If I was to do this then long tubes and no cats with the x would be how I would go... I would get a decent muffler though so it's not super obnoxious, even then though I have a feeling it would be loud...

I am sure that here in Virginia I could find that one "special" place that would just look and say your good.... But that is risky here in va...
__________________
2013 ford mustang gt, black, bought 16th of August. Only mod so far is tinted windows.
Am3gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
aegischief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am3gross

No I would not and I have thought about that since I am in the military and I can easily go where no inspection is needed... But that would be a pain in the *** for sure.. If I was to do this then long tubes and no cats with the x would be how I would go... I would get a decent muffler though so it's not super obnoxious, even then though I have a feeling it would be loud...

I am sure that here in Virginia I could find that one "special" place that would just look and say your good.... But that is risky here in va...
I'm in the same area as you and trust me, you ain't gonna find that special place here. Since I live in NC I don't have to deal with emissions testing. Inspections here are nothing. Takes the tech longer to put the info in the computer than to do the inspection. During my inspection last year I did half of the inspection myself. Gotta love living in the sticks!
aegischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Am3gross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegischief View Post
I'm in the same area as you and trust me, you ain't gonna find that special place here. Since I live in NC I don't have to deal with emissions testing. Inspections here are nothing. Takes the tech longer to put the info in the computer than to do the inspection. During my inspection last year I did half of the inspection myself. Gotta love living in the sticks!
Nice.... Wish. Could do my own inspection...
__________________
2013 ford mustang gt, black, bought 16th of August. Only mod so far is tinted windows.
Am3gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:07 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
layton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am3gross

No I would not and I have thought about that since I am in the military and I can easily go where no inspection is needed... But that would be a pain in the *** for sure.. If I was to do this then long tubes and no cats with the x would be how I would go... I would get a decent muffler though so it's not super obnoxious, even then though I have a feeling it would be loud...

I am sure that here in Virginia I could find that one "special" place that would just look and say your good.... But that is risky here in va...
The borla longtube headers with off road x pipe without cats and borla atak mufflers sound awesome but loud as heel though
__________________
borla atak axle-back exhaust, 19in rtr wheels wrapped in 255/40r19 goodyear fl supercar tires, airaid cai, tinted windows 10%, grabber blue custom stripes. and last a bad a** driver
layton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:00 AM   #15
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter
 
primer2tone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Corpus Christi
Region: Texas
Posts: 6,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by layton

The borla longtube headers with off road x pipe without cats and borla atak mufflers sound awesome but loud as heel though
Yeah, NASCAR loud.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:12 AM   #16
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,656
It is, and I absolutely love it!
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #17
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter
 
primer2tone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Corpus Christi
Region: Texas
Posts: 6,752
And naturally, I am not surprised.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Am3gross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 177
Awesome! But if I can't pass inspection.... It's a no go...but I would love the sound... I am gonna check out you tube right now for some clips...
__________________
2013 ford mustang gt, black, bought 16th of August. Only mod so far is tinted windows.
Am3gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



08:02 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.