Lowering Springs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Lowering Springs

So, I have a friend who is a car fanatic, but can go a little overboard at times. He has a 2011 GT. I told him that after I throw some 19's on the car, I plan to drop it about an inch to an inch and a half.

He then went on a 10 minute kick on how if you lower the Mustang GT, you need to do a whole bunch of other stuff to the car or else the chassis and frame would not be entirely supported. Now typically, he's spot on, but I thought this was a little odd and perhaps he was off base. The aftermarket suspension mods (I can't remember because I thought he was so off the wall I just tuned him out) would cost anywhere between $2-3K.

Is there really anything else besides the springs that are a necessity if you are going to lower the car?
Klaximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I've got a 2012 GT. Stock 18's. I installed Eibach springs, lowered 1" front 1-1/2" rear, and an alignment. Nothing else, no rubbing, great handling, ride was not negatively affected. Hope that assessment helps answer your question...
Konawin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Adjustable pan hard rod, your rear axle will be off center, other than that you don't really need anything.

It will change pinion angle so I would recommend adjustable uca, also control arm angles will be off so I would recommend lcas and relocation brackets

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Adjustable pan hard rod, your rear axle will be off center, other than that you don't really need anything.

It will change pinion angle so I would recommend adjustable uca, also control arm angles will be off so I would recommend lcas and relocation brackets

OK, so this pan hard rood is a must get? Just want to make sure I do this right if I lower the car.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Struts and shocks as well. If you're going to do it, do it right.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudermilk View Post
Struts and shocks as well. If you're going to do it, do it right.
Is it a bad decision to ignore this for a few months and swap them out later?

What are the risks?
Old 10-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

The ride won't be as good & they will wear out faster. Waiting a few months shouldn't hurt anything, really. The lowering springs take the stock shocks out of their intended operating range & they aren't valved to handle the stiffer spring.

I have not lowered mine yet, but when I do, I plan to do springs, shocks, camber plates, and a watts link all at once. Then see if the UCA is needed.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

so basically, changing springs only is a dumb idea.

Hmmm, not as easy as I thought.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #9
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaximilian
so basically, changing springs only is a dumb idea.

Hmmm, not as easy as I thought.
Pan hard rod is a must, get one new for about $160, or used for close to $120. I have had stock dampers on mine and have it lowered an inch, probably have about 15k on stock dampers with lowered springs and its fine, will probable be better once I replace the dampers at 50k, or 10k more miles from where I am now.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 10-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Pan hard rod is a must, get one new for about $160, or used for close to $120. I have had stock dampers on mine and have it lowered an inch, probably have about 15k on stock dampers with lowered springs and its fine, will probable be better once I replace the dampers at 50k, or 10k more miles from where I am now.
what are you thoughts on new shocks/struts?
Old 10-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #11
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Changing out the stock springs only is not dumb or pointless. If you drive it everyday then yes the shocks are gonna wear out faster and you will need to replace them later on. The ride is gonna be a bit rough when going over bumps but who drives over bumps in the road on purpose? Panhard bar......yes if it bothers you that much. The average Joe is not gonna notice your rear end being a little off but the mustang community will. Depending on how low you drop the car you will need some camber bolts or CC plates. If you do the FRPP K or P springs you will be just fine.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #12
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaximilian

what are you thoughts on new shocks/struts?
Well I'm still using the stockers for now lol. I have 40000 miles on a 20 month old car so I figured I'd wait till I hit 50k and replace them, that's about the useful life anyways. I'm really not that hard on my car so it doesn't take the abuse that most people's cars will.

But at the end of the day, new dampers are definitely Ideal

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
Changing out the stock springs only is not dumb or pointless. If you drive it everyday then yes the shocks are gonna wear out faster and you will need to replace them later on. The ride is gonna be a bit rough when going over bumps but who drives over bumps in the road on purpose? Panhard bar......yes if it bothers you that much. The average Joe is not gonna notice your rear end being a little off but the mustang community will. Depending on how low you drop the car you will need some camber bolts or CC plates. If you do the FRPP K or P springs you will be just fine.
Rear axle being off center will throw off much more of the suspension geometry than lowering will, and put a lot more unecessary stress on suspension components. I would definitely recenter the axle

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 10-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #13
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Well I'm still using the stockers for now lol. I have 40000 miles on a 20 month old car so I figured I'd wait till I hit 50k and replace them, that's about the useful life anyways. I'm really not that hard on my car so it doesn't take the abuse that most people's cars will.

But at the end of the day, new dampers are definitely Ideal

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

Rear axle being off center will throw off much more of the suspension geometry than lowering will, and put a lot more unecessary stress on suspension components. I would definitely recent we the axle

I like that last part,lol.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #14
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM

I like that last part,lol.
Lol yea I was trying to edit my post but my phone kept acting up

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT