Getting into 2nd smoothly - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-31-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Getting into 2nd smoothly

Hey guys! I bought a 2012 Mustang GT about a year ago and ever since I've gotten it I've noticed it's sometimes difficult shifting from 1st to 2nd without getting the "double lurch." I've tried almost everything I can think of, but it's hard getting a smooth transition from 1st to 2nd. All the other gears are as smooth as butter. The shifter it self goes into gear fine, but when I let off the clutch, the car seems to jump. I'm still new to driving a manual so any advice on this would help out greatly! Thanks for any help.
blackmustang12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 11:27 AM   #2

Region: Washington
Are you letting off the gas when shifting? You are probably just giving it too much gas too soon and possibly lifting off the clutch to abruptly. I think once you get some more seat time with the manual you'll smooth it out on your own.
pwrdbym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:28 PM   #3

Region: Virginia
Mine will do the same thing if I just get rolling in first, shift to second and don't give it any gas.
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tominkc
That's your skip shift,, When under 2000 RPM's it will skip 2nd gear and go in to 4th!! Suppose to help save gas!!!! Get a tune and it will shut it off!!
Tominkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominkc
That's your skip shift,, When under 2000 RPM's it will skip 2nd gear and go in to 4th!! Suppose to help save gas!!!! Get a tune and it will shut it off!!
This "feature" is on a lot of new cars today. I know my dads challenger has it and I've heard of it else where. He got a skip shift eliminator off of slp.com that was pretty cheap. If you're going to get a tuner then do that, but if not then I would recommend the eliminator.
9tee7pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tee7pony

This "feature" is on a lot of new cars today. I know my dads challenger has it and I've heard of it else where. He got a skip shift eliminator off of slp.com that was pretty cheap. If you're going to get a tuner then do that, but if not then I would recommend the eliminator.
Supposedly on our cars there is a wire under the car you can disconnect and it will turn skip shift off. I never bothered because I have a tuner.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:55 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the replys! It sounds like I might be giving it too much gas between shifts so I will work on that when I drive tomorrow. It's definitely not the skip shift feature. I know when it locks out 2nd and goes into 4th haha the engine "bogs" down when that happens! If you guys have anymore ideas just keep me posted!
Old 10-31-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Shift faster don't let your rpm's drop too low..
Bennyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Yeah back off the throttle a little and/or slip the clutch a little more.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman
Yeah back off the throttle a little and/or slip the clutch a little more.
About what rpm do you normally shift at to get a nice smooth shift from 1st to 2nd?
Old 10-31-2012, 07:50 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmustang12

About what rpm do you normally shift at to get a nice smooth shift from 1st to 2nd?
Personally I shift around 2500-3000 rpm. I keep my foot barley touching the throttle but giving it a small amount of gas, I let the clutch go real fast till where it catches where I slow down and start to give it a little more gas while continuing to let the clutch out.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:17 PM   #12
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
I rip through mine like a 18yr old virgins first time at a whore house. Shift at 2k if you really want to be smooth about it otherwise who cares......its a mustang so have a little fun with it. Practice makes perfect.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:56 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Get the Mgw no then no more problem the stock shifter is doooooo dooooooo!
Thomas11CS5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:13 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Sounds to me like you just need more practice with it. I recall the first couple of 1-2 shifts with the new 5.0 were a little lurchy (felt like a cheap plastic quadrant kinda) but after a couple power shifts and a little time i didnt have any issue. I usually find the sweet spots in most cars I get into right away but I've been driving stick non stop for 7 years now.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:47 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I used to have the same problem. Got a Bama tune with the skip shift delete and no problem. Something to consider if you going that way on your mods.
Jose096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:14 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
This guy has a '13 manual, no skip shift! Anywhere around 2k-2.5k is good, still easy to slip. Funny, its actually very easy to shift smoothly above 4k, but not recommended for city driving.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:15 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose096
I used to have the same problem. Got a Bama tune with the skip shift delete and no problem. Something to consider if you going that way on your mods.
Very cool. I have considered getting a JLT CAI along with a Bama tune. It would be nice to not have to deal with skip shift ever again, plus I heard it will give you better throttle response!
Old 11-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Shifted around 2200 rpm today and gave it very very little gas and noticed a pretty big difference. I guess I was giving it too much has going into 2nd.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT