Installed new clutch...new problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-31-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
My stock clutch slipped hard and flywheel was glazed so I swapped it out with a spec billet steel flywheel and exedy Mach 500 stage 3 clutch kit. Only thing I kept was the TOB as I had no noise and engagement/disengagement with stock clutch was great. Anyways after installed I'm having to play with it to get it into first at times. Always have to put the clutch pedal to the floor to disengage the clutch. It just doesn't feel like its fully disengaging. I even tried bleeding it per ford manual with a vacuum pump and it didn't help. Anyone else run into issues like this with a clutch replacement? I'd hate to have to drop the transmission again to shim the tob. Talked to American Muscle who I got the parts from and all they did was direct me to call exedy. Exedy said to bleed it with a pump and that 1.5inch from the floor is normal en/disengagement for their clutches...
Jukens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukens View Post
My stock clutch slipped hard and flywheel was glazed so I swapped it out with a spec billet steel flywheel and exedy Mach 500 stage 3 clutch kit. Only thing I kept was the TOB as I had no noise and engagement/disengagement with stock clutch was great. Anyways after installed I'm having to play with it to get it into first at times. Always have to put the clutch pedal to the floor to disengage the clutch. It just doesn't feel like its fully disengaging. I even tried bleeding it per ford manual with a vacuum pump and it didn't help. Anyone else run into issues like this with a clutch replacement? I'd hate to have to drop the transmission again to shim the tob. Talked to American Muscle who I got the parts from and all they did was direct me to call exedy. Exedy said to bleed it with a pump and that 1.5inch from the floor is normal en/disengagement for their clutches...
Jukens,

It sounds like Exedy definitely pointed you in the right direction. I would just check a few more things. Make sure there's no Air in the lines and then unfortunately your last option would be to replace the Slave Cylinder.

I hope this helps, let me know if we can be of any assistance!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Clutch issue, post-new pre-reqs: How was the pilot bearing in the crank when you did the clutch and did you use locating pins and not just the bolts to install the PP? Also, what condition was the input shaft retainer and did you give it a very light coat of grease?
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Redid the entire installation and rechecked over everything and its the same. Disengagement is maybe an inch from the floor and getting into first is still stiff when I'm not moving. If I'm moving shifting is completely smooth even downshifting.

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Clutch issue, post-new pre-reqs: How was the pilot bearing in the crank when you did the clutch and did you use locating pins and not just the bolts to install the PP? Also, what condition was the input shaft retainer and did you give it a very light coat of grease?
Pilot bearing is new. The pins are installed. Everything looked good and was lubricated.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, weird shyt:

How were the witness marks on the diaphragm fingers, even or tweaked to one side or another? Sure the trans is not hanging on something on the face of the bellhousing that's holding it proud of the flange slightly?

Next, change the clutch line for a higher volume one from JHR or similar. maybe you're just outside the parameters of the stocker because yours is extra restrictive, or whatever.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok, weird shyt:

How were the witness marks on the diaphragm fingers, even or tweaked to one side or another? Sure the trans is not hanging on something on the face of the bellhousing that's holding it proud of the flange slightly?

Next, change the clutch line for a higher volume one from JHR or similar. maybe you're just outside the parameters of the stocker because yours is extra restrictive, or whatever.
Fingers looks good and even. Transmission is flush mounted. Might try a different clutch line. Just a little frustrating. Anyone else running a exedy clutch?
Old 11-02-2012, 08:49 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I would call the company that makes the clutch. I know that some high performance clutches for these things require the hydraulic linkage to be removed and replaced with a cable style for adjustment reasons. Also if you didn't use a torque wrench and lock tight for the pressure plate install than you better start punning it back apart.
Bluebaretoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Is your engine built? I'm just wondering why you went with such a high torque clutch? Stage 3 is good for ~734lbs of torque. Maybe that is too much for the stock hydraulic setup. Maybe you need to upgrade to something like the Exedy hydraulic TOB.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/exedy-...nder-0513.html
Old 11-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure
Is your engine built? I'm just wondering why you went with such a high torque clutch? Stage 3 is good for ~734lbs of torque. Maybe that is too much for the stock hydraulic setup. Maybe you need to upgrade to something like the Exedy hydraulic TOB.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/exedy-...nder-0513.html
Stage 2 wasn't enough. That's flywheel torque numbers. Also exedy told me their TOB that they sell is the factory ford part.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:05 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yep, I really think you need to look at the clutch line...it's marginal in stock applications.

If that doesn't get 'er going, it's new TOB. They do tend to settle over time and you might not be getting full extension. I know they are kind of pricey but, I'm betting the frustration is worse.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #11
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Yep, I really think you need to look at the clutch line...it's marginal in stock applications.

If that doesn't get 'er going, it's new TOB. They do tend to settle over time and you might not be getting full extension. I know they are kind of pricey but, I'm betting the frustration is worse.
Are the stock hydraulic lines stainless? If not, that might help keep pressure up by switching to stainless. They do that to brake lines often as an upgrade to performance.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Stock lines are plastic.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT