Boosting soon....advice? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-02-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Boosting soon....advice?

So, I've got my order secured with beefcake for a vortech tuner kit and I really just wanted any advice that I could get from guys that have experience with the kit. I plan on installing myself with some help from friends. I've done supercharger installs on previous vehicles and helped some friends with turbo swaps and other misc. stuff so I have some experience around bolt-on stuff, not a total newb lol.
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

No one? That sucks...
Old 11-03-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I would love to chime in but the only vortech systems I've installed we're on 99-04 stangs. Are the systems for the 5.0 self contained or do you still have to tap into the oil pan?
Bluebaretoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
From what I've seen you will have to cut into the front fascia. Not a big deal if you have the tools and it looks the same when you put it back together.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

The kit I'm getting is self contained, as far as i know though, they have both types available.

---------- Post added at 11:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
From what I've seen you will have to cut into the front fascia. Not a big deal if you have the tools and it looks the same when you put it back together.
Yea,i was hoping someone that had done this would maybe come in and post and possibly even have a picture of what they trimmed
Old 11-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #6
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
I think Poloka has done a Paxton upgrade, hopefully he'll chime in

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #7
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
I think Poloka has done a Paxton upgrade, hopefully he'll chime in

Thought he went with the Roush?
Old 11-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I did procharger and there was a butt ton of trimming to do. Not sure about vortech though, sorry.
Black5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Poloka did roush. I did Paxton and it wasn't too bad. Just time consuming bc of utilizing existing hoses and stuff. Shortening, moving, etc. cutting the fascia perfectly was annoying. Idk if the intercooler is as big as the one with the Paxton kit but either way you will have to trim. Be careful when bending the AC line, mine broke and we all got high pretty quick haha. Good luck! Oh and a lift is highly recommended!
JG5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:

Ah yea you're right, someone with a candy red 5.0 went Paxton I thought? Either way looks like we have a couple guys chiming in now!

Thanks for keeping me honest folks!

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5.0 View Post
I did procharger and there was a butt ton of trimming to do. Not sure about vortech though, sorry.
I would think it would be similar with them both utilizing the a/a style i/c
but i'm sure if the dimensions are different then the trimming will for sure be different

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG5.0 View Post
Poloka did roush. I did Paxton and it wasn't too bad. Just time consuming bc of utilizing existing hoses and stuff. Shortening, moving, etc. cutting the fascia perfectly was annoying. Idk if the intercooler is as big as the one with the Paxton kit but either way you will have to trim. Be careful when bending the AC line, mine broke and we all got high pretty quick haha. Good luck! Oh and a lift is highly recommended!
Do you happen to have any install pics? thanks as well for the insight on the install
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Ah yea you're right, someone with a candy red 5.0 went Paxton I thought? Either way looks like we have a couple guys chiming in now!

Thanks for keeping me honest folks!
Yeah! getting some info now
Old 11-03-2012, 11:43 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:

Yeah, Roush phase 2. Will take a look at their phase 3 that they released at sema. No cutting up front on bumper except trimming on the front cover of the engine block.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

My bro-in-law and I installed the Paxton tuner kit on my 2012 GT(he did most of the work). We took our time and did it over a weekend. Just be patient with the install, follow the instructions and you will be fine. You do have to trim quite a bit for the intercooler, but once you put it back together, it's not noticeable. I suggest trimming and test fitting several times so that you don't trim too much. Modifying the radiator fan and hoses is what's most time consuming IMO. It's all worth it though as it looks very clean in the end. Sorry I don't have any pics of the trimming. Good luck and here are a few pics that I do have. I also suggest printing the latest instruction manual from their website and going through it beforehand. Good luck!

Old 11-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalEl370 View Post
My bro-in-law and I installed the Paxton tuner kit on my 2012 GT(he did most of the work). We took our time and did it over a weekend. Just be patient with the install, follow the instructions and you will be fine. You do have to trim quite a bit for the intercooler, but once you put it back together, it's not noticeable. I suggest trimming and test fitting several times so that you don't trim too much. Modifying the radiator fan and hoses is what's most time consuming IMO. It's all worth it though as it looks very clean in the end. Sorry I don't have any pics of the trimming. Good luck and here are a few pics that I do have. I also suggest printing the latest instruction manual from their website and going through it beforehand. Good luck!

Thanks a lot for the pictures and the info!! I plan on taking my time with it and trying my best to get everything right the first time. I have a secondary vehicle if I have to use it but I would much rather be able and drive the stang lol. What did you put down on the dyno? I plan on getting the intake upgrade because I no longer have my stock air box. How much clearance did you have with the bossIM and the TB by the supercharger? Reason I ask is becuase I plan on later down the road upgrading to the bigger TB if it will fit with the S/C.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by milgt View Post
Thanks a lot for the pictures and the info!! I plan on taking my time with it and trying my best to get everything right the first time. I have a secondary vehicle if I have to use it but I would much rather be able and drive the stang lol. What did you put down on the dyno? I plan on getting the intake upgrade because I no longer have my stock air box. How much clearance did you have with the bossIM and the TB by the supercharger? Reason I ask is becuase I plan on later down the road upgrading to the bigger TB if it will fit with the S/C.
I'm sure you can get all done in a weekend (10-12 hours taking your time). There is clearance for a bigger TB, but I think it would be a waste IMO. Your car will make plenty of power with the CAI upgrade. If you want more, just swap the pulley. I put down 622rwhp and 466tq STD back in July in 95 degree Texas heat through the stock air box. The car definitely feels faster now in the cooler weather. I don't think you will have any problem hitting around 620-640rwhp or so. Keep us posted!
Old 11-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, the TB upgrade was really just an upgrade I was toying with not really something I was too serious about lol but it's good to know there is room for it. Honestly I'll be happy with somewhere in the 550-580whp range. I'm just ready to get back into a boosted vehicle bc they're just awesome lol. I'll be taking as many pictures as I can before,during,and after the install and get some dyno videos as well.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #17
Regular
Supporter

@ KalEl370.......car looks awesome and those are some great #s!

@ milgt......make sure you do a build thread. That could come in handy for some of us later down the line. (if you have the time)
Old 11-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post

@ milgt......make sure you do a build thread. That could come in handy for some of us later down the line. (if you have the time)
I don't mind doing that at all, I'll start one after I get all the pictures and dyno tune completed. Hopefully I'll have the kit sometime around the 20th of this month but not sure yet.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #19
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
I don't mind doing that at all, I'll start one after I get all the pictures and dyno tune completed. Hopefully I'll have the kit sometime around the 20th of this month but not sure yet.

That would be great! Im considering doing this myself also.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post

Thank you!
Old 11-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

TTT for more responses
Old 11-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
a few things to consider:

If you cant afford to have the car blow up or mess up (engine etc) then dont do it

If you want to keep warranty then dont do it

It will always cost more to get everything fine tuned, and with that the tune is VERY important so make SURE to get it done and done right
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
a few things to consider:

If you cant afford to have the car blow up or mess up (engine etc) then dont do it

If you want to keep warranty then dont do it

It will always cost more to get everything fine tuned, and with that the tune is VERY important so make SURE to get it done and done right
Yup, considered all of them.

Rebuild if i have to, but don't foresee it on a base kit.

Lol, warranty went out the window when i bought the car.(never have trusted in a warranty anyway)

I will never trust in an email tune again after my last car...only dyno/local tunes for me 100%. The extra little cost is worth the extra safety i feel with it.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:57 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Just got off the phone with terry at beefcake and my kit should be here on wednesday of this coming week and I'm gonna make plans to install on the following saturday if all goes well.

I need a boost gauge and also AFR gauge but I'm at a loss of how and where to install them on this car because ,unlike my last boosted car, I actually care about cutting and drilling in places on my mustang.... any suggestions?
Old 11-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by milgt
Just got off the phone with terry at beefcake and my kit should be here on wednesday of this coming week and I'm gonna make plans to install on the following saturday if all goes well.

I need a boost gauge and also AFR gauge but I'm at a loss of how and where to install them on this car because ,unlike my last boosted car, I actually care about cutting and drilling in places on my mustang.... any suggestions?
Check out roush gauge pod. They are slick. Fit in your air outlet for your heater or ac.. Not sure if that explains it but check it out..
Bennyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennyhill

Check out roush gauge pod. They are slick. Fit in your air outlet for your heater or ac.. Not sure if that explains it but check it out..
Will do, thanks
Old 11-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennyhill View Post
+1 on the Roush pod. If you really want to monitor AFR, I love the Aeroforce Interceptor gauge. If you go with two gauges, I recommend the SOS dual pillar pod. Good luck!
Old 11-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
+1 on the Roush pod. If you really want to monitor AFR, I love the Aeroforce Interceptor gauge. If you go with two gauges, I recommend the SOS dual pillar pod. Good luck!
I know with the dyno tune and all I really shouldn't have to monitor my afr and really my boost since it won't change with the pulley that is on there but I like to be able and watch each time I'm pulling just in case something , whatever it may be, happens and I can see it.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I know with the dyno tune and all I really shouldn't have to monitor my afr and really my boost since it won't change with the pulley that is on there but I like to be able and watch each time I'm pulling just in case something , whatever it may be, happens and I can see it.
I know what you mean, that's why I like the interceptor gauge. I monitor both banks with it and I have an autometer mechanical boost gauge.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Get a quad turbo and dual supercharger. Should get around 4000 hp.
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I can get 4000 hp with big wing and unpainted body kit and a fart can exhaust
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennyhill

I like the vent pod. I've got it with the LED gauge. White, blue, and I believe another color. No red. Was disappointed. I just have it on white for lights on and off. I like it. Just ran into garage to snap a few pics. Sorry for the clarity.

http://www.roushperformance.com/part...-inch-LED.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-625448981.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	302.2 KB
ID:	76136   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3379404135.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	344.1 KB
ID:	76137  

Old 11-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Looks good!
Bennyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I know what you mean, that's why I like the interceptor gauge. I monitor both banks with it and I have an autometer mechanical boost gauge.
where did you buy the interceptor gauge from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloka View Post
I like the vent pod. I've got it with the LED gauge. White, blue, and I believe another color. No red. Was disappointed. I just have it on white for lights on and off. I like it. Just ran into garage to snap a few pics. Sorry for the clarity.

Mechanical Vacuum Boost Gauge
that was the setup I was thinking of going with, but wanting to monitor my afr as well I really don't want to have gauges spreading out in my car lol. I was thinking of just looking into the center triple gauge pod that ford has for the dash. IDK yet, all in the planning stages for now
Old 11-16-2012, 04:59 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
where did you buy the interceptor gauge from?

that was the setup I was thinking of going with, but wanting to monitor my afr as well I really don't want to have gauges spreading out in my car lol. I was thinking of just looking into the center triple gauge pod that ford has for the dash. IDK yet, all in the planning stages for now
I bought mine from American Muscle. The gauge is a little pricey ($240), but plugs into the obdII port and monitors everything. Here's a pic of mine. I'm gonna get another interceptor gauge and put two of them in the pillar, move the boost gauge to the vent and get rid of the oil pressure gauge.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT