Gear whine - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Gear whine

So I have the 3.73's that I ordered from ford when I bought my car and have had no issue at all with gear whine until now. It's bad in first and second and I am just wondering if a fluid change would erase this or is it a warranty issue or just something I have to live with.
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Gear whine from the rear end doesn't vary with gears selected. It's road speed and load related. Noise in gears is your MT-82, I'd bet.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO
Gear whine from the rear end doesn't vary with gears selected. It's road speed and load related. Noise in gears is your MT-82, I'd bet.
Would you be able to get a video/audio of the whine? Whine was the leading cause to me swapping out the MT-82 for the Tremec mag xl. Before the swap my trans sounded like an old kenne bell cobra supercharger.
2012Vader5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah these MT82's live to whine. Tell my friends I've got a twin screw lol
Old 11-03-2012, 10:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I had never herd that these thing whine but just one more reason to hate these things
Old 11-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I've noticed it's alot worse when the temps are low
Old 11-03-2012, 11:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Ya exactly same here. During the Statesboro summers you can't here anything but sense the temps have dropped I have rattles and transmission whine
Old 11-03-2012, 11:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Matt you know this is Rusty right haha? Yeah these getreg tranies make noise. They definitely need to be warmed up.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

No matter what temps were cold or hot the mt 82 SCREAMED.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
During the past 1000 miles or so, I've been noticing a faint 3.73 Torsen whine on my '14 TP at highway speeds. When I decellerate, the whine goes away, and comes back when I level off or accellerate again. She's a 6-MT and has 2300 miles on the clock. I haven't found a solid fluid brand change consensus hereabouts. Can the experienced Torsen owners give me advice on fluid brands to try, or should I be steered directly toward Ford for inspection and possible repair? I really hate to have her exposed to rectum surgery. Anbody have a reliable silver bullet that will keep her out of the shop and the hands of strangers?
Missouri Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Put some redline in the tranny and keep on truckin.
cstone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstone94 View Post
Put some redline in the tranny and keep on truckin.
It's the differential that whines.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Hoss View Post
It's the differential that whines.
Oh, I thought y'all were saying it was his trans. If it's the diff. did he use the right rear end fluid and additive if required?
cstone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstone94 View Post
Oh, I thought y'all were saying it was his trans. If it's the diff. did he use the right rear end fluid and additive if required?
This started out to be a differential whine thread and turned to tranny. I fired it up again, because the thread title plainly described MY problem.

I can verify my problem is not the tranny. I had a friend drive it down the interstate, while I dropped the seat backs and stuck my head into the trunk area. The whine is definitely coming from the differential. Now, my Torsen and tranny both are still running on factory fill. She only has 2300 miles on the clock. Can you suggest an alternative fluid that meets any/all Ford standards, and is the suggestion proven to help/cure faint whining? Or am I better off letting Ford diagnose and fix it before I change fluid?
Old 09-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I would take it to ford. That's what your warranty is for
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:39 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
I would take it to ford. That's what your warranty is for
I understand warranties and their purpose. I just really hate for them to "f" around with it. But, I guess I could take it to my Quicklane manager friend first and let him check it out. He's also a service tech. If he notes the problem, he will slip me through the system a lot easier than my going to Service alone.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I understand warranties and their purpose. I just really hate for them to "f" around with it. But, I guess I could take it to my Quicklane manager friend first and let him check it out. He's also a service tech. If he notes the problem, he will slip me through the system a lot easier than my going to Service alone.
I say go for it
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i changed my rear gear to a FR3.73 and changed lockers and mine whines too. ALOT of whine is a worry but a lil is ok(per what i was told by AM when i ordered the gear)but i was nervous as all get bout it and Ford techs say its fine and both my mechanics say its fine as long as the backlash and pinion depth are within tolerance with a good mesh you should be good to go Boss. But i understand better safe than sorry
Mach138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
During the past 1000 miles or so, I've been noticing a faint 3.73 Torsen whine on my '14 TP at highway speeds. When I decellerate, the whine goes away, and comes back when I level off or accellerate again. She's a 6-MT and has 2300 miles on the clock. I haven't found a solid fluid brand change consensus hereabouts. Can the experienced Torsen owners give me advice on fluid brands to try, or should I be steered directly toward Ford for inspection and possible repair? I really hate to have her exposed to rectum surgery. Anbody have a reliable silver bullet that will keep her out of the shop and the hands of strangers?
I have the exact same problem man, although i dont have the torsen, but do have 3.73s. Literally the exact same thing as your describing though. Seems to be the loudest between 60-65 mph in 6th gear.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:51 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach138 View Post
i changed my rear gear to a FR3.73 and changed lockers and mine whines too. ALOT of whine is a worry but a lil is ok(per what i was told by AM when i ordered the gear)but i was nervous as all get bout it and Ford techs say its fine and both my mechanics say its fine as long as the backlash and pinion depth are within tolerance with a good mesh you should be good to go Boss. But i understand better safe than sorry
Thanks for your input. I'm old skool and have been a lifelong user of the Ford 9" differential. Never had one whine before, so I want to make sure this Torsen is checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
I have the exact same problem man, although i dont have the torsen, but do have 3.73s. Literally the exact same thing as your describing though. Seems to be the loudest between 60-65 mph in 6th gear.
I only notice whine at highway speeds. Being it's faint, I'm going to get it checked out and documented, in case it gets worse later on.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Mine was a track pack 13' whined loudly as well, first they changed the ring and pinion, then the whole rear end assembly. Still whines the same i came to the conclusion the 3.73s are loud
Apod91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
A faint whine is normal, loud is not. By faint I mean you can hear them, if they have any kind of volume they're not set up properly
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:54 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
A faint whine is normal, loud is not. By faint I mean you can hear them, if they have any kind of volume they're not set up properly
I can hear mine with the windows up. Windows down, I can't. But, I didn't notice any whine from the time the car was delivered (78 miles) until I put about 1,200 miles on it. During the last 1,000 miles, the whine is about the same volume. "Faint" describes it best.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:26 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
I can hear mine with the windows up. Windows down, I can't. But, I didn't notice any whine from the time the car was delivered (78 miles) until I put about 1,200 miles on it. During the last 1,000 miles, the whine is about the same volume. "Faint" describes it best.
Mines the same way. Im not all too worried about it. If it gets any worse I'll take it in as well.
2014 Mustang GT Base MT82 -Stock 3.73s, Roush axleback, Steeda 93R tune, Steeda Hi-flow X-pipe, 19" Charcoal AMR's, smoked front and rear side markers, 20% tint, quarter window louvers, Steeda Ultralite springs, Koni Str.t shocks/struts, MM camber plates, J&M adjustable panhard bar, BMR LCAs and relo brackets, Barton shifter and 2-post bracket, Black Modern Billet Grilles
Evil2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
It sounds like your well within tolerance. I use ear plugs to trouble shoot a lot. They eliminate the exhaust note to where all you hear are the mechanical's.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil2014GT View Post
Mines the same way. Im not all too worried about it. If it gets any worse I'll take it in as well.
I'm not necessarily glad, but I'm somewhat relieved to know there are other guys that noted the same differential whine. Makes mine less rare. I think I'll still take it in and have the whine documented. May help to prove my case later on, if it gets worse. In the meantime, I'll just crank Boston or The Doobie Brothers up, so I can't hear the noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
It sounds like your well within tolerance. I use ear plugs to trouble shoot a lot. They eliminate the exhaust note to where all you hear are the mechanical's.
Thanks, Bro! Don't think I can protect my hearing from the exhaust note. I'm running Heartthrob Flowpack axle backs. I'm old skool and require the loud rumble and drone. Makes me feel younger.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:53 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Another point you should think about when doing ring and pinion gears is when you go from 3:31 to say 4:10 you should keep in mind that your fluid is being moved around a lot more. A good weight, higher breakdown temperature would be a good insight into protecting your differential.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I'm in with diff whine, too, a faint noise between 100 kph and 130-ish.

This kind of stuff has pursued 8.8s with short gearsets since the 1980s. Ford hasn't really every got a fix right for this, as I don't think they really care, since most cars/trucks are made with taller ratios that don't show this as much.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 09-23-2013, 12:06 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
I'm in with diff whine, too, a faint noise between 100 kph and 130-ish.

This kind of stuff has pursued 8.8s with short gearsets since the 1980s. Ford hasn't really every got a fix right for this, as I don't think they really care, since most cars/trucks are made with taller ratios that don't show this as much.
If they had the old 9", we wouldn't be having this disscusion. Never had a 9" problem. Anytime I ever changed gears, I had them set up by professionals and they were as quiet as a church mouse.

In talking to a friend tonight, that races often and has used Lucas Gear Oil for years, I'm looking into a 75W-140 Synthetic differential oil change. In his opinion, it won't hurt a thing and would more than likely quiet the whine all together. I may do the same with the tranny, by changing it to Lucas 75W-90 Synthetic. I can deal with any cold weather stiffness that may be present.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

The 9" is stupidly heavy , old-school inefficient and thus not suited to mass production in a modern car application.

My view it's the way 8.8s are set up on the line, rather than a design issue.

In order to make the assembly fast, the method is put the gearset in and slap the pinion nut to a preset torque value. This crushes a torque sleeve and sets the pinion depth. This will get you in the ballpark with most taller gearsets but more careful setup is required for steep ones, as they are more prone to hum.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 09-30-2013, 10:31 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I've read a few posts about what I'm about to say but wanted to get more input since sorta on topic. What about increased gear whine after install of bmr poly uca and lca? After install, gear whine is way louder. Pinion angle was adjusted too.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:14 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I've run an Eibach Sportline drop with non-asdjustable LCA and relocation bracket. Stock drive shaft and 3.31 gears. Stock UCA.

I currently have 22.8k miles (lowered the car at 1k) after 16 months of ownership no whine, no transmission problem... Reading all these issues with gear whine and pinion issues really does scare the bejesus out of me.

Any one went from a stock 3.31 to 3.73 and not experience any problems? Cuz I'm about to go there. Anyone have an adjustable UCA and having that adjusted solve gear whine and such or is it just the Torsen diff and the 3.73 normal whine?
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:47 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
I've run an Eibach Sportline drop with non-asdjustable LCA and relocation bracket. Stock drive shaft and 3.31 gears. Stock UCA. I currently have 22.8k miles (lowered the car at 1k) after 16 months of ownership no whine, no transmission problem... Reading all these issues with gear whine and pinion issues really does scare the bejesus out of me. Any one went from a stock 3.31 to 3.73 and not experience any problems? Cuz I'm about to go there. Anyone have an adjustable UCA and having that adjusted solve gear whine and such or is it just the Torsen diff and the 3.73 normal whine?
Just like u I have stock driveshaft and stock UCA, but I do have BMR LCAs and relocation bracket... Then went from 3.31 to 3.73 FRPP gears and they're quiet and never gave me a slight whine, it was probably 2k miles ago ( don't drive it that often ). Even the whole break in phase where I should take it easy, the installer said that's not even necessary, I had it don't by a top notch Mustang shop in Jersey... I would suggest u do it soon so u won't feel the TQ loss when u install the Boss

---------- Post added at 04:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 AM ----------

Done*
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

My '14 Track Pack car whines, too. As mentioned, 60-65 is where it comes in and stays. at 85 it sings pretty good! Whines under acceleration and stops as soon as you let off the gas. I took mine in and they said it was normal. Glad it's documented, just in case.
Griswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
My '14 Track Pack car whines, too. As mentioned, 60-65 is where it comes in and stays. at 85 it sings pretty good! Whines under acceleration and stops as soon as you let off the gas. I took mine in and they said it was normal. Glad it's documented, just in case.
3.73s are notorious for whining. The only one worse is 3.90s
86 muscle is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT