Changing exhaust, new tune needed? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-04-2012, 01:02 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Changing exhaust, new tune needed?

Hey guys. Just curious. I've got pypes axlebacks, a steeda CAI and bama 93 octane tune. I've been thinking about having an exhaust shop cut out the middle section with the resonators and restrictive H pipe and replacing it with 3" and a better X or H pipe. So my question is, even with keeping the stock cats, would i need a revised tune with the bigger mid pipe? Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 01:08 AM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
No you won't
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:14 AM   #3
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Changing the H pipe might trip your check engine light. A tune would prevent that. Also, be careful about hacking up your exhaust you could create a drone condition and that is the most annoying sound.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 02:02 AM   #4
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

You are gonna be wasting your money if you replace the stock mid pipe and leave the cats. These cars are really restrictive with the cats and they won't tune for mid pipes anyhow. Like Primer said the tune will help with the check engine light.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:36 AM   #5
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Replacing the H with an X will throw a cel code? How?

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Anything you do to the exhaust AFTER the rear 02 sensor WILL NOT require a tune PERIOD.... The stock H pipe is not restrictive!!!!!! The H-pipe is simply there to balance the exhaust pressure. It has been shown on the dyno, that CAT-BACK systems are great for improving sound, but only make 2 or 3 more HP. Go ahead and cut out the resonators if you want. I would not remove the Cats, unless you go FI, or if you drag race and use a 2-step.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #7
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Replacing the H with an X will throw a cel code? How?
Ahhh,you are correct. I had the frame of mind that the cats were going to be cut out also. Beer clouds the thought process.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil_T2 View Post
Anything you do to the exhaust AFTER the rear 02 sensor WILL NOT require a tune PERIOD.... The stock H pipe is not restrictive!!!!!! The H-pipe is simply there to balance the exhaust pressure. It has been shown on the dyno, that CAT-BACK systems are great for improving sound, but only make 2 or 3 more HP. Go ahead and cut out the resonators if you want. I would not remove the Cats, unless you go FI, or if you drag race and use a 2-step.
Why would you not wanna go cat less on these 5.0s if you are looking to add HP? A cat less X pipe has shown gains as good as LTs for some people. If the gains aren't an issue,you have inspection in your county or you just don't want the noise or smell then I agree with keeping the cats.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Removing cats first of all is illegal , and i have seen on other Forums were they did dyno pulls with and with out cats and showed only 1 and 2 HP gains. The stock exhaust is very good, performance wise. After all, you have a small C.I. motor, with big 2 3/4" pipes On my car i installed a 2-step, I did not want to damage the cats , so i installed a catless H for racing and did not see any gain in ET or MPH.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #10
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil_T2 View Post
Removing cats first of all is illegal , and i have seen on other Forums were they did dyno pulls with and with out cats and showed only 1 and 2 HP gains. The stock exhaust is very good, performance wise. After all, you have a small C.I. motor, with big 2 3/4" pipes On my car i installed a 2-step, I did not want to damage the cats , so i installed a catless H for racing and did not see any gain in ET or MPH.

Removing cats is not illegal in every state. Strange....I havent seen any threads with complaints about only gaining 1 to 2 HP by losing the cats. Everything ive seen has been positive. Dyno'd mine with tune,cai and Roush exhaust (catted stock mid pipe and headers) and got a whopping 374?? I just install LTs,OR X and Boss mani and will probably get it dyno'd in FEB at our dyno day. I will post results later. Hope it turns out well.

Edit: These threads you speak of...are they talking about 05-10 3V cars? Removing the cats on the 5.0s makes a huge difference...not the same as the 3v. The OP has a 4V.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

removing cats is against FED law. makes no difference if your area requires testing or not. And most people removing cats are seeing HP gains because of there tune, The tests i am referring to were done stock w/cats vs stock w/o cats. The only way you can compare is to leave everything the same, and test w/ cats and then remove the cats. Once you mod it is very difficult to know what part is responsable for the gain. Last year 5.0 mag did a bolt on test, and they saw higher HP gains with all the parts installed, than they saw doing the test 1 part at a time and adding the gains up.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:44 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBeyond
Hey guys. Just curious. I've got pypes axlebacks, a steeda CAI and bama 93 octane tune. I've been thinking about having an exhaust shop cut out the middle section with the resonators and restrictive H pipe and replacing it with 3" and a better X or H pipe. So my question is, even with keeping the stock cats, would i need a revised tune with the bigger mid pipe? Thanks!
I did this at first, it is the cheap way for a reason. I had to redo my whole exhaust because some exhaust shop cut an pieced some hack job together and I paid for it the long run with leaks and stuff like that. If you want to save on money do like I did, magnaflow xpipe and pypes super system it was worth every penny
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #13
Regular
Supporter

I will keep that in mind next time the "FEDS" pull me over.

Link?
Old 11-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
I will keep that in mind next time the "FEDS" pull me over.

Link?
Here ya go from the EPA site. http://www.epa.gov/compliance/enforc...hsysrepair.pdf

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #15
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang View Post
Not talking about that. I would like to read the info from the 5.0 mag that he is talking about.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:59 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM

Not talking about that. I would like to read the info from the 5.0 mag that he is talking about.
Oh, lol.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #17
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

I've gotta agree with DDTCM on this, never heard of no gains when removing cats. of course you will not get gains without tuning for it, that is true for 99% of engine/exhaust mods that tuning is necessary. but take a 5.0 with just a 93 tune, now take a 5.0 with a 93 tune, and tuned for no cats, still ~15 hp gain.

I can't argue that it's not illegal though

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 11-05-2012, 06:13 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
I've gotta agree with DDTCM on this, never heard of no gains when removing cats. of course you will not get gains without tuning for it, that is true for 99% of engine/exhaust mods that tuning is necessary. but take a 5.0 with just a 93 tune, now take a 5.0 with a 93 tune, and tuned for no cats, still ~15 hp gain.

I can't argue that it's not illegal though
Ya I haven't heard of not gaining any HP when taking off your cats either. Lol. But I did feel a little torque loss on the low end. But top end feels better. So basically you gotta sacrifice one thing for another thing

Custom Dyno Tune By B&D Racing
340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Stang23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #19
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Yea a small loss of back pressure... Definitely not enough to make me out cats back on!

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 11-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #20
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBeyond View Post
CaptainBeyond,

This is definitely a quick/affordable mod that will show some gains. When you do a custom exhaust set up, sometimes you do run into leaks, noises etc.. Your other option would to go with an Off-Road X-Pipe. This will get rid of your cats and give you a straight through design. With a tune on the 11+ GT's we've seen gains of 15+RWHP from this set up!

I hope this helps, let me know if I can be of any assistance!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstang1 View Post
I did this at first, it is the cheap way for a reason. I had to redo my whole exhaust because some exhaust shop cut an pieced some hack job together and I paid for it the long run with leaks and stuff like that. If you want to save on money do like I did, magnaflow xpipe and pypes super system it was worth every penny
Ok, i may do that. The main goal behind my original question was for volume and sound. I didnt expect there to be much power gains. Ive heard a couple of 5.0s that had no mufflers or resonators (in person) and i was really surprised at how good it sounded! I like my pypes and i dont really wanna go THAT loud, but i do love volume! I would like to to get an offroad x or h pipe but i live in an emission tested county in TX. Even tho you can retune for the CEL i still would like to technically stay legal. Im a state inspector and i would never have a problem passing...but ya know, its just a personal thing. I dont really wanna abuse my power, the guilt would get to me! Haha
Old 11-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
The main thing you will see is the popping and backfiring sorta which I personally like. I get a lot of compliments about my exhaust but for every two who like it there is one who doesn't.
Redstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust