Unusual noise under acceleration - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-05-2012, 06:34 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Unusual noise under acceleration

2012 GT Premium. Now that's cold I keep the windows up most of the time. About a week ago, I noticed that under moderate acceleration and >3000 RPM or so I can here a noise / vibration.

1) Seems to be coming from aft of the shifter
2) Not dependent on gear - most noticeable in lower gears but I can hear it up through third ... probably does it in all but as vehicle speed increases, so does ambient noise
3) I have a Barton shifter / bracket installed, this is not the same NVH that the shifter introduced, and seems to be coming from aft of where you typically hear the NVH from the shifter
4) Doesn't do it every time but about 80% of the time

The car is running great - not issues thus far, about 10k miles. I also have Boss 302 sides installed. I went under the car and verified that the shifter bracket and exhaust pipes were tight, they seem so.

My car is very loud with Roush AB's and the Boss sides, so there is a lot of vibration normally. However, this is annoying.

Anyone have any idea of what could be in that area that could vibrate? I already removed all loose items in the glove box and center console to make sure it wasn't any junk rattling.

Thanks.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Mine does the same as well, it's annoying as hell when I'm going through an area at idle speeds and that damn noise is there. I have boss side exhaust and Borla s type AB but this has been happening ever since I got the car. I just suppose that it's normal. Another recent thread had something about this in it.
Joyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I guess I couldn't find the magic search string ... do you recall if anyone had any ideas as to the cause? I figure it has to be something that only touches when the car flexes ever so slightly under acceleration.

But I can't hear mine at idle speeds ... this is not the same sounds you hear from the shifter-area in low gears / speeds (which is normal) but >3000 RPM and under moderate acceleration.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT