Blinking Check Engine Light - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Greeeeeat. I just bought mine and now you guys have me worried sick. Hope it doesn't happen with mine now..
FORDGT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Question!?

I just bought a BAMA Tuner that will be in tomorrow. I'm terrified that my car will start doing this right after I tune it. So should I wait a little longer before I tune it? The car currently has roughly 6k miles with no issues so far... But I know how my luck works.. Should I wait a few more miles before I tune just to be safe?
Old 01-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORDGT14 View Post
Question!?

I just bought a BAMA Tuner that will be in tomorrow. I'm terrified that my car will start doing this right after I tune it. So should I wait a little longer before I tune it? The car currently has roughly 6k miles with no issues so far... But I know how my luck works.. Should I wait a few more miles before I tune just to be safe?
I tuned my car with 5K miles on it.
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Is it a 13?
Old 01-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Is it a 13?
No haha. A 2011.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Tune it bro ur fine... If it starts just go back to stock
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Question!?

I was told that eventually they would have a PCM update to fix the problem, so I'm hoping that actually happens. I feel like there is no reason why if you switched back to the stock tune that they wouldn't update it for you. Worst case scenario is you'd have to pay them to update it, it's not like they can refuse it all together.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post

I was told that eventually they would have a PCM update to fix the problem, so I'm hoping that actually happens. I feel like there is no reason why if you switched back to the stock tune that they wouldn't update it for you. Worst case scenario is you'd have to pay them to update it, it's not like they can refuse it all together.
If you put it back to stock they can update it. Actually I think they can update it without it being stock, but then you have to pay SCT to unlock the tuner cause it will be married to an untuned car.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
If you put it back to stock they can update it. Actually I think they can update it without it being stock, but then you have to pay SCT to unlock the tuner cause it will be married to an untuned car.
In other words kids, put the stock tune on before taking your car to the dealer . Otherwise you are wasting money
Old 01-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

In other words kids, put the stock tune on before taking your car to the dealer . Otherwise you are wasting money
Haha yes. Wasting $75.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #46

Region: Virginia
Yeah I work at a Ford Dealership (we are one of the good guys, I promise) and I will consult my service department to see if we've had any issues and offer and insight I can.

Note: I've had my 13 GT for about 6 months, no issues like yall's except loose wiring in the one tail light made it blink like it was going bat sh*t crazy!
D00STN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Tune it. I tuned my '13 at 1200 miles. No problems before or after. Have roughly 8000 on her now. The only thing that has gone wrong so far and it's not the tunes fault. I had a bad battery that lost a cell and I replaced it. Good luck.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #48

Region: Virginia
Feeling your pain

I'm having the exact same issue now. However, mine started after I loaded a 93 octane race tune from BAMA onto mine. It only happens when the engine is cold, bout a minute or two after I start driving in the mornings.It doesn't happen at all when the engine is warm. I've tried reloading the tune, changing to a different tune, and inspecting all the fittings of the intake. Everything is tight and positioned in accordance with the instructions from JLT. American Muscle has been somewhat helpful, but nothing that they have suggested has worked yet. (Not slandering AM or BAMA in anyway, when the products worked properly, they made my car haul A$$!) So the intake and tune are coming off this weekend and being replaced with the stock ones. Fingers crossed that clears the issue, if not it's going to the dealer. I've been hearing a lot about a TSB that Ford has put out for this exact problems. Good luck to everyone experiencing this!
Prime88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime88 View Post
I'm having the exact same issue now. However, mine started after I loaded a 93 octane race tune from BAMA onto mine. It only happens when the engine is cold, bout a minute or two after I start driving in the mornings.It doesn't happen at all when the engine is warm. I've tried reloading the tune, changing to a different tune, and inspecting all the fittings of the intake. Everything is tight and positioned in accordance with the instructions from JLT. American Muscle has been somewhat helpful, but nothing that they have suggested has worked yet. (Not slandering AM or BAMA in anyway, when the products worked properly, they made my car haul A$$!) So the intake and tune are coming off this weekend and being replaced with the stock ones. Fingers crossed that clears the issue, if not it's going to the dealer. I've been hearing a lot about a TSB that Ford has put out for this exact problems. Good luck to everyone experiencing this!
Yea definitely go stock the issue is PCM related maybe the tune is making it more pronounced, has nothing to do with BAMA or AM. Unfortunately, when you take it in to the dealer they won't know how to fix it yet.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Hey guys, just posting this so people can find it. This TSB seems to be the fix to the misfire problem:

TSB
12-12-8 CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ILLUMINATED - DTCS P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306, P0307, P0308 - NO DRIVEABILITY SYMPTOMS - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 11/30/2012

Publication Date: December 17, 2012

FORD: 2013 Mustang

ISSUE:
Some 2013 Mustang vehicles equipped with a 5.0L engine and manual transmission and built on or before 11/30/2012 may exhibit a Check Engine Light illuminated accompanied by any combination of diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306, P0307 and/or P0308 stored in continuous memory only. Additionally, there will be no apparent drivability symptoms present and no DTCs present which are not listed.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Using IDS, perform self test on the PCM to check for both continuous memory (CMDTCs) and key on engine running (KOER) DTCs.
If any DTCs P0300-P0308 are present in KOER and/or a driveability concern, such as cylinder misfire, is present, do not continue with this article. Refer to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual for normal diagnostics.
If any DTCs P0300 - P0308 are present in continuous memory and there is no discernible drivability concern, such as cylinder misfire, present, proceed to Step 2.
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 82.02 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2012.11 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at Buy Motorcraft Parts Online | Official Motorcraft Auto Parts Site | FordParts.com.
Using IDS, perform the Misfire Monitor Neutral Profile Correction procedure.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
121208A 2013 Mustang: Check DTCs Reprogram PCM Perform The Misfire Neutral Correction Procedure Includes Time To Clear Codes After Repair (Do not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.3 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
RECALEM 04
Old 02-11-2013, 08:43 PM   #51

Region: Texas
Well, my situation has gotten worse. It started doing it's blinking thing again and then the light stayed on. Great (and to think I passed on the S4 because I figured the stang would be more reliable). LOL. I plan on going to the dealer tomorrow. Wish me luck.
StangingAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangingAround View Post
Well, my situation has gotten worse. It started doing it's blinking thing again and then the light stayed on. Great (and to think I passed on the S4 because I figured the stang would be more reliable). LOL. I plan on going to the dealer tomorrow. Wish me luck.
More misfires. Anyone know how much of a pain it would be to claim my car as a lemon? This is the third time I have to take it in for misfires. Last time I was in they applied the TSB for the misfire issues and clearly it didn't work. PA lemon law says the dealer gets three tries to solve the issue and then it can be claimed as a lemon.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
I was in 4th rolling down a hill today when the check engine light came on and started blinking. I stopped the car and it eventually stopped blinking. The blinking lasted between 10-20 seconds total and in that time I didn't notice anything wrong. It's a '13 with only 600 miles on it and I haven't even driven it hard yet so I'm hoping it was a fluke issue. Any ideas as to what happened and if I should be concerned?
I had the excact thing happen to me! I have a 2013 gt track pack and was going down a hill and it blinked for about 20 seconds and ran real rough.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

More misfires. Anyone know how much of a pain it would be to claim my car as a lemon? This is the third time I have to take it in for misfires. Last time I was in they applied the TSB for the misfire issues and clearly it didn't work. PA lemon law says the dealer gets three tries to solve the issue and then it can be claimed as a lemon.
I've done it before successfully on a Hyundai a decade ago. Make sure you get every work order and every piece of information as a print out. You have to appear that you gave them every opportunity to fix. Keep a folder with everything organized. After multiple attempts to fix, request the dealer in writing to put you in touch with the manufacturer for a lemon law claim. If they stall or no progress is made call a lawyer. They have to know you're serious and won't go away, but always be courteous because the technician or dealership may be requested to give a statement and you want them on your side. A lawyer may take it on contingency if its blatant neglect... Check lawyers.com or something and ask around.

PS: that really sucks!

CURRENT: 2016 GTPP, Vortech, Ford/Borla cat back, 1" drop on Vogtland, 1" Hubcentric spacers, APR Front Splitter, RTR Upper Grille.

SOLD: 2011 5.0, Auto, C&L CAI, Dyno Tuned, 3.73s, Boss 302 Intake, Magnaflow Competition axlebacks, Stallion Suspension LCAs, Whiteline Sway Bars.
doug5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013mustang5.0 View Post

I had the excact thing happen to me! I have a 2013 gt track pack and was going down a hill and it blinked for about 20 seconds and ran real rough.
I had this issue happen to me after having my transmission replaced with a tremec. The dealer I took it to goti it fixed and back to me in time for my road trip to work this was in December. I have had not one indication of the problem coming back. Ill get in contact with the dealer for more info. From what I was told they plugged it in started recording data and held the throttle at all rpms till the code was thrown, reset the sensor got a new file from ford. Message me ill help y'all best I can, I had to pay for all this so I have a pretty decent memory of what was relayed to me to fix this.

*took the dealer one day to all this, on a weekend.
2012Vader5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

This whole thing has me worried a bit. My 2013 5.0 6MT was built on December 4th 2012, supposedly out of the time frame of affected cars according to the TSB. I have about 1000 miles on it with no issues at all so far (fingers crossed), and I hope I'm out of the woods soon because it seems most people with this issue experience it within the first 1000 or so miles. Still has me worried though...
matt6589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:16 AM   #57
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
You did everything correctly. You took it in, got it identified, and recorded. If it happens again, it is noted in their records.

It was refreshing to see that you took it in, and all was well with you and the dealership. I have to say, I've had several Fords, and each time I've ever had to take the vehicle in for a warranty issue (yours was as well), It's always been an easy visit.

If folks are having a hard time with their dealership, they should talk with a service manager (politly), and if they cannot resolve an issue, move on to a different dealership, and report the old one to the regional service rep (ask for their phone number from any service rep). It's not supposed to be difficult to resolve an issue such as this, especially since the vehicle was stock, and under warranty.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

True or false: Anytime the CEL is blinking it saves the codes, even if the light doesn't stay on.

They told me there are no codes. Really? My CEL blinked for near 15 seconds while the car was shuddering.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
True or false: Anytime the CEL is blinking it saves the codes, even if the light doesn't stay on.

They told me there are no codes. Really? My CEL blinked for near 15 seconds while the car was shuddering.
True, keep driving it how you were when the light came on, I had to keep mine above 3200 rpms to make the code stick.

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Vader5.0 View Post

True, keep driving it how you were when the light came on, I had to keep mine above 3200 rpms to make the code stick.
*edit False. Sorry about that.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 AM ----------

*edit False. Sorry about that.
Dammit.. The bastards won't do anything because there are no codes.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Damn. I just posted another thread about this. I'm having the same issue and used my new tuner to check for codes today. No codes. I have an appt at the German Ford dealership tomorrow. I guess they aren't going to do anything. Do you think they will perform the TSB?

My CEL only blinked once a couple weks ago and hasn't since. My only issue is to decide if I should wait to tune it? Intune and Bama tunes in hand. Damn CEL!
2013fiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013fiveO View Post
Damn. I just posted another thread about this. I'm having the same issue and used my new tuner to check for codes today. No codes. I have an appt at the German Ford dealership tomorrow. I guess they aren't going to do anything. Do you think they will perform the TSB?

My CEL only blinked once a couple weks ago and hasn't since. My only issue is to decide if I should wait to tune it? Intune and Bama tunes in hand. Damn CEL!
If you tell them about the tsb they should do it since it's just a firmware update. It's TSB 12-12-8. Didn't help me though, actually this time my car shuddered when it misfired when normally I don't feel it. Don't know if it's coincidence or TSB related. They'll drive your car around and then tell you they couldn't recreate the issue (No kidding, it's random). They are aware of my cars misfiring history so I'm not sure why they are acting like it didn't happen.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If you tell them about the tsb they should do it since it's just a firmware update. It's TSB 12-12-8. Didn't help me though, actually this time my car shuddered when it misfired when normally I don't feel it. Don't know if it's coincidence or TSB related. They'll drive your car around and then tell you they couldn't recreate the issue (No kidding, it's random). They are aware of my cars misfiring history so I'm not sure why they are acting like it didn't happen.
Instead of backing off the throttle or shifting to another gear keep driving with the rpms up past 3000 rpms. I know this goes beyond all safe logic, this how you can get the code to stick and the CEL to stay on. When my 5.0 was doing this I did this several times and remembered the exact rpm that the engine had to be at or above for the CEL to start flashing. When this happened to me I would remain under the same rpms I was at to trigger the cylinder misfire, the cylinder would eventually shut down and then start firing again. The CEL, WOULD REMAIN on in a constant state though the CEL would stay on even after the car having sat over night. As long as y'all haven't modified the power train in way that could be considered "voidable" it should be considered warranty.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Has anyone who has gotten this problem ever had it legitimately resolved such that it stops happening?
matt6589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Instead of backing off the throttle or shifting to another gear keep driving with the rpms up past 3000 rpms. I know this goes beyond all safe logic, this how you can get the code to stick and the CEL to stay on. When my 5.0 was doing this I did this several times and remembered the exact rpm that the engine had to be at or above for the CEL to start flashing. When this happened to me I would remain under the same rpms I was at to trigger the cylinder misfire, the cylinder would eventually shut down and then start firing again. The CEL, WOULD REMAIN on in a constant state though the CEL would stay on even after the car having sat over night. As long as y'all haven't modified the power train in way that could be considered "voidable" it should be considered warranty.
I'm going to try that when I pick it up tonight. I did notice that it happens when I'm holding somewhere in the 3k to 4k range. Usually I'm in 5th passing cars so I'm holding my speed instead of accelerating and that's when I notice it happen. I have tried a couple times to get it to repeat but can't, hopefully I'll get lucky(or technically unlucky) so I can just turn around and drop it right back off tonight instead of a week or two or three from now. It's just really inconvenient.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #66

Region: Washington
I had this problem and had the January update to the tsb done (13-1-11 if I recall correctly) and it seemed to work. Did a few track days in the cold (it was in the low 30s in the mornings) and have not have had the problem since the update.

I thought I read someplace that if you get two misfires in one drive cycle it stores a permanent code and the cel remains on. My tech also noted that there was mode 6 data stored, so if no permanent code isn't stored the mode 6 data should still show misfires. Google mode 6 data for some details on it. Also you can go into engineer mode through through the lcd screen (on 2023s) and see that codes are stored. At least in my case there were stored codes even though I did not have a constant cel after the misfires. I think your dealer is full of **** and doesn't want to deal with it.
Phoenix335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #67

What were the codes in the LCD display ? From what I recall they are not straight codes like we ae use to see.
Dineau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Can you see codes on the base model display? I don't have a tuner, the first time I had problems there was like 7 misfires on one drive cycle so the CEL stayed on and the codes were saved, whereas the last two times there was only one misfire so I guess that's why it didn't save. I unfortunately can't produce the misfire when I repeat the same conditions. They did TSB 12-12-8 which precedes 13-1-11 so I don't have the correct fix at the moment.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:42 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt6589 View Post
Has anyone who has gotten this problem ever had it legitimately resolved such that it stops happening?
I had this problem, I had it so much I turned it in to game to see when it would happen and what it took to keep it from happening. If you maintain an rpm around 3 to 4k rpms, or drive the vehicle hard enough to keep the rpms above 3 to 4k rpms and still grab gears it will happen if your vehicle is having the affected cylinder misfire/shutdown.

My cylinder misfire/shutdown was fixed in December 2012 and HAS NOT comeback. As far as I was told from the Ford service department, the tech had recreated the problem with the above information I was able to provide them. The tech didn't even have to drive the vehicle, he hooked it up to the computer did what ever he did on the computer, held the throttle at all rpms till the CEL flashed and held it at that rpm to keep the code the for the Ford engineer/programmer. They sent him a file and told him to reset the sensor and adjust it slightly higher. I do not know for sure which sensor was adjusted.

* I can now drive my vehicle in any gear at whatever rpm and through not a single code. I have zero power train modifications not even a tune. I do have the drivetrain modified with the tremec swap and re geared to 3.73. All in all they got it fixed granted not under warranty. I gladly paid the 180 bucks to it took to fix the problem.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

mine did it shortly after i put on my BBK CAI and bama 93r tune. i was in 6th gear trying to pass a car doing like 60, he accelerated and so did it. when i got the car up in speed, the light came on for the second time. the first time was a very cold start that i just had to get up n leave, couldnt let my car idle to warm up. it ran rough for about 10 seconds dropping to like 200 rpm then up 1k. then settled back on normal. i figured it was like 18 degrees outside and just jumping in it was a bad idea. then it didnt happen again until last night. but i was already driving for a few miles when it happened. in my experience. let the car have proper warm up times. its a 5.0l that has to ciruclate 8qts of oil. give it time to warm up and give it a few small revs before taking off. everytime i allow for proper warm up nothing ever happens at all rpm ranges. just what happened to me.
Brembo Brake package, 3.73s, Roush axle-back exhaust, 20% tint all around, All lights and reflectors tinted gun smoke, 20X8.5 and 20x10 wheels and tires, Lowered 1.5" with Eibach pro springs, J&M panhard bar, BBK CAI, Bama 93R tune, JLT oil separator, Black "5.0" badge, Black billet shift knob
Yuckooo13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
check engine