Blinking Check Engine Light - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-09-2012, 07:28 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Blinking Check Engine Light

I was in 4th rolling down a hill today when the check engine light came on and started blinking. I stopped the car and it eventually stopped blinking. The blinking lasted between 10-20 seconds total and in that time I didn't notice anything wrong. It's a '13 with only 600 miles on it and I haven't even driven it hard yet so I'm hoping it was a fluke issue. Any ideas as to what happened and if I should be concerned?
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13
I was in 4th rolling down a hill today when the check engine light came on and started blinking. I stopped the car and it eventually stopped blinking. The blinking lasted between 10-20 seconds total and in that time I didn't notice anything wrong. It's a '13 with only 600 miles on it and I haven't even driven it hard yet so I'm hoping it was a fluke issue. Any ideas as to what happened and if I should be concerned?
Well I had the same problem before. I got It scanned and the cause was a misfire. But since you said you have a 2013 that would be really weird. If I was you I would see if the problem occurs again and then get it checked out. Like you said could just be a fluke.
jleber123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
you can try to get the code checked it may be stored
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
I think Ford is working on a TSB about this, and many are having to do crank relearn and a few are having to have the PCM re worked.... I think that's what it was anyways. Much of the programming is difference from 11-12 to 13

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
I think Ford is working on a TSB about this, and many are having to do crank relearn and a few are having to have the PCM re worked.... I think that's what it was anyways. Much of the programming is difference from 11-12 to 13
Any reason not to keep driving it? I ask because I'm currently at work 40 minutes from home.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

a flashing check engine light means that whatever the car is doing, it is damaging itself and continuing to drive vehicle will damage or destroy motor.

With that said, I'm not 100% sure as to whether it actually is hurting itself or not, this is an issue with multiple vehicles, not just your own, I'll try to do a little research to help you before you leave work, also try doing some research on your own in case I cannot get you a definite answer.

does the vehicle act erratically when the light flashes?

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 11-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
a flashing check engine light means that whatever the car is doing, it is damaging itself and continuing to drive vehicle will damage or destroy motor.

With that said, I'm not 100% sure as to whether it actually is hurting itself or not, this is an issue with multiple vehicles, not just your own, I'll try to do a little research to help you before you leave work, also try doing some research on your own in case I cannot get you a definite answer.

does the vehicle act erratically when the light flashes?
No, I noticed no changes, listened for differences, the car didn't shake or do anything funny. This happened about 20 minutes into my drive, lasted 15-20 seconds and then the light went off and never came back on.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #8
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

most likely not damaging anything then, wouldn't worry about that portion, I would still see what dealer says about it though

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 11-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #9
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

there are various posts throughout this thread

There are a few people with the same issue. gist of it is that it happens mostly over 3-4k rpm range. the check engine light is accompanied by random misfiring. some have been fixed with crank position relearn, others are having to either reprogram or replace the PCM and one person even got a new car out of it...

let's hope for the best and wait for it to happen again though, and try driving and holding over 4k rpms to see what happens

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 11-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
there are various posts throughout this thread

There are a few people with the same issue. gist of it is that it happens mostly over 3-4k rpm range. the check engine light is accompanied by random misfiring. some have been fixed with crank position relearn, others are having to either reprogram or replace the PCM and one person even got a new car out of it...

let's hope for the best and wait for it to happen again though, and try driving and holding over 4k rpms to see what happens
Thanks. As expected the dealer wasn't helpful, said it was probably just emission or carbon related and as long as the light went off it shouldn't be an issue. If it happens again, I will call back and make sure to discuss with them the issue you found. I can't recall the RPMs at the time but I will keep that in mind.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
blinking light is a misfire. bad gas,bad plug or coil most likely...
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Check engine light came on and stayed on. Autozone computer saw 3 misfired cylinders and said about crankshaft timing being off. I forget the exact wording. Taking to the dealer tomorrow.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Check engine light came on and stayed on. Autozone computer saw 3 misfired cylinders and said about crankshaft timing being off. I forget the exact wording. Taking to the dealer tomorrow.
Good luck with that. They're just going to do the crank sensor relearn. And try to blame any problem on you.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa

Good luck with that. They're just going to do the crank sensor relearn. And try to blame any problem on you.
Of course, and they refused to let me come in yesterday so I have to wait til Tuesday. If the relearn doesn't fix it there will be hell to pay. By now Ford should know I'm not the only person to have this issue.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Keep us posted, I'm curious about this
Old 11-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
They will blame it on your carbon fiber dash kit, or your rear seat delete if you have one. The weight savings is manipulating the engines horsepower which is why your light is coming on.
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:09 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post
They will blame it on your carbon fiber dash kit, or your rear seat delete if you have one. The weight savings is manipulating the engines horsepower which is why your light is coming on.
I have neither, car is currently 100% stock. I still sense them blaming it on me somehow.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:10 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:

I have neither, car is currently 100% stock. I still sense them blaming it on me somehow.
You used the wrong brand of gas. All your fault.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:47 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

U should be fine dude... Although i was talking one day to a Ford tech and he was telling me that a guy twisted his mustangs drive shaft (probably doing something he shouldnt have) and the dealer was gonna replace it under warentee. A ford engineer inspected it and saw that his tread on his rear tires were very low and the fronts were almost new and denied the warentee cause he said he was abusing his car... Now i dont no if he was trying to scare me to not drive my car hard but that kinda sucks if the base a problem with ur vehicle on tread life lol
GE3G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:54 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GE3G View Post
U should be fine dude... Although i was talking one day to a Ford tech and he was telling me that a guy twisted his mustangs drive shaft (probably doing something he shouldnt have) and the dealer was gonna replace it under warentee. A ford engineer inspected it and saw that his tread on his rear tires were very low and the fronts were almost new and denied the warentee cause he said he was abusing his car... Now i dont no if he was trying to scare me to not drive my car hard but that kinda sucks if the base a problem with ur vehicle on tread life lol
That's pretty ridiculous. I don't know how they can prove he didn't throw some old tires on the back or something, whether it's true or not. Fortunately I have even tread.. for now .
Old 11-12-2012, 07:57 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's pretty ridiculous. I don't know how they can prove he didn't throw some old tires on the back or something, whether it's true or not. Fortunately I have even tread.. for now .
Make a performance muscle car, complain when it is driven like one.

That is what his story tells me.

Also what do you do if you have staggared rims? You don't rotate them so the rears will wear faster...what then?
Old 11-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post
This has been going on since the beginning of time at dealers. I've had them tell me all kinds of wild BS. I had a suspension issue on a new car once, they told me it was normal, and just loud fuel injectors, and that my battery was low, causing the issue. The issue was eventually resolved, after several trips to service, and they learned I wasn't stupid enough to believe the injector cover story. I'm a car guy, you can't fool me, i know when there is a problem.

If they try to make it seem to make sense, it's usually just BS to get you out of there and to become someone else's issue... Hold your ground, print off detailed information from the web if need be, show them your evidence, and always remember you can call corporate if you don't get a satisfactory resolution.

You may have to fight a bit, but it's your right to get what's coming to you. Being respectful and not giving up usually works out for me.
IanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanM View Post
This has been going on since the beginning of time at dealers. I've had them tell me all kinds of wild BS. I had a suspension issue on a new car once, they told me it was normal, and just loud fuel injectors, and that my battery was low, causing the issue. The issue was eventually resolved, after several trips to service, and they learned I wasn't stupid enough to believe the injector cover story. I'm a car guy, you can't fool me, i know when there is a problem.

If they try to make it seem to make sense, it's usually just BS to get you out of there and to become someone else's issue... Hold your ground, print off detailed information from the web if need be, show them your evidence, and always remember you can call corporate if you don't get a satisfactory resolution.

You may have to fight a bit, but it's your right to get what's coming to you. Being respectful and not giving up usually works out for me.
What sucks is I'll be at work the whole time they have it and the shop at the dealer closes before I can get there daily. I have to hope they just fix it right the first time because if not I can't be there to tell them what's up. I brought up on the phone about the crank sensor position relearn and he said he would have to look at it first to know, even though I told him I got the trouble code for it. I can see them doing something totally irrelevant to 'fix' the problem.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by GE3G

That's exactly what happened to me, I'd bought a new set of wheels with rubber and before new tires were put on the drive shaft twisted and separated. I even showed them emails that I bought them two days before it happened.

You're in Canada though, doubt it was my situation.
2012Vader5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #25
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post
What sucks is I'll be at work the whole time they have it and the shop at the dealer closes before I can get there daily. I have to hope they just fix it right the first time because if not I can't be there to tell them what's up. I brought up on the phone about the crank sensor position relearn and he said he would have to look at it first to know, even though I told him I got the trouble code for it. I can see them doing something totally irrelevant to 'fix' the problem.
That's really frustrating the so many new Mustangs are having the same issue. I'm interested to see how your dealer handles this. Hopefully they can get it done quickly, so it doesn't conflict with work, like you mentioned.

Keep us updates and good luck!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanM

Very true, be respectful and corporate will bend over backwards for you. They helped me on a truck once.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Varies from dealer to dealer.

A buddy of mine had a truck with chrome factory wheels. After 1 year, 2 of the four had severe pitting and bubbling. He never used any harsh wheel cleaners to just clarify. Normal washes.

Dealer fought with him saying he didn't use approved car wash soap.

Eventually he got the 2 wheels replaced. But had to go through a ton of hassle with the dealership and cooperate.

Be respectful, but at some point if they keep saying no and you know it isn't fair, you have to be the irate customer. Otherwise they'll push you around and you'll just take it.

Public forums where they have representation helps too. Public news consumer protection sites/submissions can help too. The threat of an embarrassing public story will quickly change a dealership/companies treatment of an abused customer.

A car is the second most expensive purchase. Fight for your rights if things go sideways!!!

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

UPDATE

So the dealer looked at the car today. They said the misfires the codes showed were happening at idle. A series of tests showed no problems, driving it showed no problems. They talked to Ford engineers about it who said about it being a known issue. They wanted to know if I could feel the misfires happening at idle and I admitted I couldn't, to which they said a lot of owners are reporting being unable to feel these misfires. I was assured that this is a known issue and that they want to keep monitoring the situation and if it happens again to bring it back in as soon as I can. He said Ford is working on a reflash for the PCM and as soon as it's ready they'll flash mine, however he said it could be up to six months before it is finished and available. I also asked about a crank position relearn, he said they did whatever they do to see if a relearn should be tried and my car didn't meet those parameters.

The good news is that it's an issue big enough that engineers are working on a solution, and he made it seem legitimate that they ran a lot of tests and submitted the data to Ford.

The bad news is, this could happen again in minutes, hours, days or weeks all over again.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I wouldn't worry about it, you've made the problem known to Ford if anything does happen to it.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
UPDATE

So the dealer looked at the car today. They said the misfires the codes showed were happening at idle. A series of tests showed no problems, driving it showed no problems. They talked to Ford engineers about it who said about it being a known issue. They wanted to know if I could feel the misfires happening at idle and I admitted I couldn't, to which they said a lot of owners are reporting being unable to feel these misfires. I was assured that this is a known issue and that they want to keep monitoring the situation and if it happens again to bring it back in as soon as I can. He said Ford is working on a reflash for the PCM and as soon as it's ready they'll flash mine, however he said it could be up to six months before it is finished and available. I also asked about a crank position relearn, he said they did whatever they do to see if a relearn should be tried and my car didn't meet those parameters.

The good news is that it's an issue big enough that engineers are working on a solution, and he made it seem legitimate that they ran a lot of tests and submitted the data to Ford.

The bad news is, this could happen again in minutes, hours, days or weeks all over again.
That's not bad. That is a better response than,"Sorry tough luck your car runs fine your crazy."
Old 11-15-2012, 06:49 AM   #31
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Could have been worse, just make sure you do not mod your car until after this situation is completely resolved

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 11-15-2012, 07:13 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Could have been worse, just make sure you do not mod your car until after this situation is completely resolved
So far so good, probably shouldn't say that 'out loud' but oh well. I might throw the GT500 axle back on it but other than that no mods for sure until after it's completely fixed.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #33

Region: California
I just bought my 2013 GT premium on 22 Dec and it has been back to the dealer now 4 times for this issue. The problem is that the dealership doesn't have a clue. I have now pursued the "lemon law" and they finally bought the engineers from LA to look at the vehicle. If they fix it, then I keep it. If not then hopefully it will get replaced. Besides this problem the car is awesome. I would post a pic however I havent had the car long enough to take a snapshot. Good luck to all who have this problem, but the engineers need to figure this out and ford should not be selling anymore 2013's until this problem is fixed.
langstonkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:35 PM   #34

Region: Texas
I too am now having this issue and I've only had the car 2 months.Not good.
StangingAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Mine has not come back since the day I started the thread, nearly 3k miles later. It's a hit or miss problem I guess, no pun intended.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
check engine