o/r X + roush = bleeding ears? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
o/r X + roush = bleeding ears?

So I have made posts about it, and said it, and seen others with very similar setups and wanted to throw this out there and see what others think.

So the video I am attaching is of my car at 60 m.p.h. while on the gas just enough to keep it at this speed. Also does this if I kick on the cruise control. It keeps this pitch right through 65 then goes back to a normal tone.

When i didn't have the o/r X I didn't have this at all. Still had the roush and they never droned ever.

keep in mind, since this was at 60, so right around 1900-1950 rpm but does it through 65 which sits around 2100 rpm. 65 is still louder and more obnoxious than 60, just at the time I thought to try recording it speed limit was 60.

I am going to check the exhaust tomorrow, make sure nothing is sitting funny, or I don't have a leak I didn't have before, but just wanted to know if ya'll think this is tolerable. Sadly it isn't really the same as you sitting in my car hearing it, as you feel it too.

loudnoise - YouTube
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
No offense but I think you are being a little sensitive about it. That doesn't sound like drone to me,it sounds pretty good IMO. It sounds about normal,nice and deep.Drone would be that deep eardrum penetrating sound that is painful. It just doesn't sound like that to me.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Hard to really make a determination from the video. With aftermarket mufflers and a offroad xpipeit is going to be loud. The cats do a lot of sound dreading so it is something you are prolly gonna have to deal with.
aegischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
No offense but I think you are being a little sensitive about it. That doesn't sound like drone to me,it sounds pretty good IMO. It sounds about normal,nice and deep.Drone would be that deep eardrum penetrating sound that is painful. It just doesn't sound like that to me.
It does have that feeling though, I guess the video doesn't really showcase that. Would be a lot different if you were in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegischief View Post
Hard to really make a determination from the video. With aftermarket mufflers and a offroad xpipeit is going to be loud. The cats do a lot of sound dreading so it is something you are prolly gonna have to deal with.
yeah that is my problem, the video is a terrible representation for the sound. It is so bad I cannot listen to the radio because I almost cannot make out what is going on.

loud isn't the problem, it goes from loud, to killing my ear drums, too back to loud. It is "louder" sounder at 2K rpm at 60ish mph than 7K rpm full WOT.

**I am guessing my problem is this, when driving like that, the drone maxes out my decible meter on my phone, which goes to 86dbm, soon as I drive 70, it drops to like 77db. even though my RPM is much higher.***
Old 11-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
Regular
Supporter

That's weird that you say it's louder at 2k. I have to shift @ 2k through my neighborhood in order to keep it at a reasonable level. After 2k it get super raspy and loud until I get on it then it pipes down some.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tominkc
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
That's weird that you say it's louder at 2k. I have to shift @ 2k through my neighborhood in order to keep it at a reasonable level. After 2k it get super raspy and loud until I get on it then it pipes down some.
I have a 2012 5,0 with Magnaflow comp exhausts Cat backs. At 2000 RPM IN ANG GEAR I have a drone in mine that really sound great!! A Lowe deep rumble in 5th gear at 2000 rpm I'm traveling at 70mph!!
Tominkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #7
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
I have very minimal drone with my roush and ORX. not sure what the deal is with yours

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
Well that is what throws me for a loop. It is quiet in comparison when going through 1st-5th normal driving where I do shift about 2k to stay quiet. But holding speed in 6th gear just drones like crazy.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #9
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
The video must not really do it any justice, cause it sounds fine to me. On my fox Mustang, I had Flowmasters that droned bad around 2000 RPM to just over. You could try loosening moving the position of some parts of the exhaust slightly. The shift might change the resonating frequency, but maybe not. It could shift that resonating point to a different RPM. If its really bugging you, it could be worth the effort if it shifts that resonance to an RPM that isn't right where you normally see at 65, etc.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure
The video must not really do it any justice, cause it sounds fine to me. On my fox Mustang, I had Flowmasters that droned bad around 2000 RPM to just over. You could try loosening moving the position of some parts of the exhaust slightly. The shift might change the resonating frequency, but maybe not. It could shift that resonating point to a different RPM. If its really bugging you, it could be worth the effort if it shifts that resonance to an RPM that isn't right where you normally see at 65, etc.
Yeah I am going to look it over tomorrow. If it was doing it before I didn't notice as I really only drove 5 mins on the highway to work. Now I drive 40 one way. 40 mins of that drone is getting to be almost to much.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:52 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Drone is music to some and pain for others. You can put the cats back on, or get some non drone muffs, like GT500's, or Corsa's.
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:51 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Can't really tell, it looks like your on a slight uphill in the video. Drone will change with how much load is being put on the motor, the slightest up hill will change it from easy on the ear to just in bearable.

1500-2400 is roughly where there drone will be.
2012Vader5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:57 AM   #13
Regular
Supporter

6th gear on the highway is rather quiet for me. Not understanding the issue. I say crawl up under the car and look for some leaks ect.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Agree with others - the video doesn't sound bad, but it's probably not properly communicating what's obviously bothering you.

I have Roush / Boss 302 sides and also, around 2k, under certain amounts of throttle, the interior noise with the windows up can get a little unpleasant. Under all other conditions, it's loud and sounds awesome. Seems to be something about that 2000 RPM range. Cold start-up is nothing short of amazing.

When I had my Altima 3.5 with the NISMO cat-backs it droned HORRIBLY - again around 2k RPM's.

Someone I know with a 2007 V6 with aftermarket dual exhaust has terrible drone and he read an article somewhere that talked about wrapping thin lead sheets around a few points in the exhaust and securing with hose clamps ... supposedly changed the dynamics enough to reduce or eliminate drone, but I have never tried it.
mmike87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT