Going Vortech... I think - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-12-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Going Vortech... I think

O, still waiting on a 'reputable shop' to call me back on my suspension... Spent the weekend watching supercharged and even a couple turbos rip up the track. That shop gave me the time to think about my purchase. Going to pare my suspension cost in half and save for a SC.

Reading, it looks like centrifugal has the least parasitic effect, and is also easiest (relatively speaking) on the engine. Looking hard at a Vortech. What other mods will I need to handle 570 at the wheels and what are the downsides to this mod? I recognize hp for the $ doesn't necessarily add up, but I am going 'easy' on the lower part of my motor intentionally here. Appreciate all feedback here

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidRRaxle
O, still waiting on a 'reputable shop' to call me back on my suspension... Spent the weekend watching supercharged and even a couple turbos rip up the track. That shop gave me the time to think about my purchase. Going to pare my suspension cost in half and save for a SC.

Reading, it looks like centrifugal has the least parasitic effect, and is also easiest (relatively speaking) on the engine. Looking hard at a Vortech. What other mods will I need to handle 570 at the wheels and what are the downsides to this mod? I recognize hp for the $ doesn't necessarily add up, but I am going 'easy' on the lower part of my motor intentionally here. Appreciate all feedback here
How did apple think I meant 'O'??? Typo there, o= I'm
SolidRRaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Going to try to bump this one.... No responses guys?!

I am also considering pro charger only because I don't have to use the engines oil supply. A local shop is trying (hard) to steer me away from Vortech. Anyone have personal experience with this?
Old 11-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
well, no personal experience as of yet but I did just purchase a vortech supercharger from beefcake racing and it should be here on wednesday. If you don't buy the complete kit then you will need injectors and then of course a handheld tuner to go along with the tuner kit.

My personal preference on going with vortech over procharger is that I didn't like the placement of the air intake on the procharger directly over the head/headers... some say it doesn't affect output but, like I said, my preference is for it to NOT be next to the firewall lol.
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

How did apple think I meant 'O'??? Typo there, o= I'm
A centrifugal supercharger is a little easier on the motor because boost usually doesn't start to build till about 3000 rpms. A positive displacement supercharger is instant boost when you hit the pedal and is a little harder on the motor. Also, 570 to the wheels is not going to last long on the stock bottom end if at all. So this wont be easy on your motor. So If you plan for that kind of power to the wheels then you'll need to build your bottom end. You'll also need a one piece driveshaft. Also, is your car a stick or auto?

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

Quote:
Going to try to bump this one.... No responses guys?!

I am also considering pro charger only because I don't have to use the engines oil supply. A local shop is trying (hard) to steer me away from Vortech. Anyone have personal experience with this?
My bad, I didn't see you had a 5.0. But if that's the case then 570 to the wheels you should be ok on the motor

Custom Dyno Tune By B&D Racing
340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Stang23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang23

A centrifugal supercharger is a little easier on the motor because boost usually doesn't start to build till about 3000 rpms. A positive displacement supercharger is instant boost when you hit the pedal and is a little harder on the motor. Also, 570 to the wheels is not going to last long on the stock bottom end if at all. So this wont be easy on your motor. So If you plan for that kind of power to the wheels then you'll need to build your bottom end. You'll also need a one piece driveshaft. Also, is your car a stick or auto?

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

My bad, I didn't see you had a 5.0. But if that's the case then 570 to the wheels you should be ok on the motor

so it's boost curve is like a turbo? Better for dd.
Pony_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony_Boy

so it's boost curve is like a turbo? Better for dd.
Yes it's better for DD

Custom Dyno Tune By B&D Racing
340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Stang23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:12 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

ThAnks.

Getting the oil pump built, billet. DD is the reason for centri
Old 11-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tominkc
Get the new auto ratio procharger'n that's the one I'm waiting for!! Sound cool as hell!! No lag like the turbo chargers!! As soon as you hot the gas you have boost all the way thru your RPM range!!!
Tominkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:25 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominkc
Get the new auto ratio procharger'n that's the one I'm waiting for!! Sound cool as hell!! No lag like the turbo chargers!! As soon as you hot the gas you have boost all the way thru your RPM range!!!
Ive heard about this. Do you have a link by chance?
Old 11-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominkc
That thing looks awesome, I agree. Can't find much in it, especially price. Guessing $12k. Building out the oil pump, procharger and install already sets me back about 7500. Will need to stop there. I really think that plus my other mods and I can't smoke a gt500 or ZL1 around a track. That will be enough for me. Probably last a good 6 months before I get antsy again
Old 11-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tominkc
It should come out the first of the year!! First showing was at the s
SEMA Show!! I live about 5 miles from the Procharger offices and warehouse!! If nothing comes out soon about them I may just have to take a visit there snd get some more info!!!! I really would like to get it!!!
Tominkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:44 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I know of a guy whos around Dallas thats got a procharger system and hes running 720 RWHP on stock motor. At -600 your going to be fine. Imo Procharger because their "Pro".
Zeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:29 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang23

Thanks, I am willing to give up the initial hp for durability (and less chance of heat soak). I am putting on an aluminum ds this week along with suspension, also planning to build out the oil pump (billet). Have a shop doing that for me, so a 300 dollar part is going to cost 1400 :/ I figure its worth it though, they seem to know what they're doing

---------- Post added at 06:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeek
I know of a guy whos around Dallas thats got a procharger system and hes running 720 RWHP on stock motor. At -600 your going to be fine. Imo Procharger because their "Pro".
Good to know. Well, there will now be a 720 rwhp and a 600+ rwhp shooting around Dallas.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Upgrading your oil pump isn't necessary. Not for the power you plan on making. There is stock block 5.0s pushing 800rwhp still with the factory oil pump. If this was needed it would have grenaded the first time it was ran. Use the money elsewhere.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa
Upgrading your oil pump isn't necessary. Not for the power you plan on making. There is stock block 5.0s pushing 800rwhp still with the factory oil pump. If this was needed it would have grenaded the first time it was ran. Use the money elsewhere.
Gonna have to disagree with ya. Mine went with only 630-640 to the tires. I'm sure I'm one of a few but as far as I'm concerned its a good piece of insurance. After oil pump went, 3 rods followed. It was also recommend I replace mine by 2 tuners. On top of that, fords s/c aluminator crate motor did not come with billet gears when they first came out but now they do. I have a feeling ford upgraded them for a reason. It is a pricey install but worth it in piece of mind to me. I'm sure 99 out of 100 guys would be fine without them but me being that 1 in a 100, I'd say do it.
Black5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black5.0

Gonna have to disagree with ya. Mine went with only 630-640 to the tires. I'm sure I'm one of a few but as far as I'm concerned its a good piece of insurance. After oil pump went, 3 rods followed. It was also recommend I replace mine by 2 tuners. On top of that, fords s/c aluminator crate motor did not come with billet gears when they first came out but now they do. I have a feeling ford upgraded them for a reason. It is a pricey install but worth it in piece of mind to me. I'm sure 99 out of 100 guys would be fine without them but me being that 1 in a 100, I'd say do it.
I 100% agree with you. It's definitely a worth while investment. My comment was made solely on the fact that I know more cars don't have it than do. And of the ones that don't, you're the first I heard of it being an issue.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT