weird pulling issue - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-15-2012, 07:33 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
weird pulling issue

So wondered if anyone had any ideas on this.

Car goes to the dealer every 6 months and gets the tires rotated and realigned if needed.

Since I got the car it has always done something funny. It pulls to the right for a short period then will pull to the left and sometimes won't pull at all.

I would have said alignment except that it keeps switching sides and sometimes doesn't do it.

I can be driving down straight flat road and have it start pulling to the right and then out of nowhere starts pulling left.

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

Car goes to the dealer every 6 months and gets the tires rotated and realigned if needed.

Since I got the car it has always done something funny. It pulls to the right for a short period then will pull to the left and sometimes won't pull at all.

I would have said alignment except that it keeps switching sides and sometimes doesn't do it.

I can be driving down straight flat road and have it start pulling to the right and then out of nowhere starts pulling left.

Thanks in advance.
I have noticed the same. Sometimes I feel like I have to fight the wheel just to drive straight on seemingly flat roads, and other times it's perfectly fine. The car just seems to respond to the grooves in the road more than cars I've driven in the past. IMO I don't believe there is anything wrong with your car, it's just extremely sensitive to grooves and slope of roads.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:01 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13

I have noticed the same. Sometimes I feel like I have to fight the wheel just to drive straight on seemingly flat roads, and other times it's perfectly fine. The car just seems to respond to the grooves in the road more than cars I've driven in the past. IMO I don't believe there is anything wrong with your car, it's just extremely sensitive to grooves and slope of roads.
I just guess cause of having driven other cars it throws me off.

I just a 2004 350Z, my uncles, for about a month, and I thought they were more sensitive than the mustang and it didn't so this. If others are having this problem tho, then I am not terribly worried about it.
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Happens to me to, I know it's partially my tires, the tread pattern pulls on imperfection in the road, and I also can't help but wonder is part of that is the EPAS

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:12 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yea it's weird, most cars might pull the same but are easy to hold the wheel straight, where as this car you fight to go straight. Definitely know exactly what you're saying, but wait to see what others say. Maybe I'll find out we are the ones with a problem.

I've never had the steering set to comfort mode, maybe that's why?
Old 11-15-2012, 08:23 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
could be bumpsteer (tires following road/bumps) does it do it on nice new paved roads or just crappy ones (same area same type of motion etc)
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
could be bumpsteer (tires following road/bumps) does it do it on nice new paved roads or just crappy ones (same area same type of motion etc)
Yeah does it on new paved roads. Only when going highway speeds tho.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #8
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Hmm I'm subscribed. My 06 does this. I always thought something was wrong, but Ford couldn't find anyrthing. Glad to see that newer owners are having this issue.

I almost think it has something to do with the road. It seems to me the paving quality of new roads has gone down.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I'd be interested to know if people who have done aftermarket suspensions have this problem? If not then it will definitely be on my to do list.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I would guess it to be in the electronic steering control. Generally these also have to be aligned electronically but the code link is not currently available or it does not require it. I'm only guessing a problem in your steering module or electric gear because it is changing direction on you and only happening at high speed suggests a very small change in angle.
Heartless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
My car does something similar! Every once in a while ill get on the highway and speed up quickly to merge with traffic and all of a sudden I feel the car quickly pull to the left then to the right back and forth. It feels like the brakes between the right and left are being applied left then right back and forth for about 10-15 seconds. It's gets a little scary! Any one have this happen to them?
Russ
1953fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'd be interested to know if people who have done aftermarket suspensions have this problem? If not then it will definitely be on my to do list.
Technical Service Bulletin Summary | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

I don't have the number but this is a summary of one of the TSB's for the 2011/2012. I don't know if you fit in this category though.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Technical Service Bulletin Summary | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

I don't have the number but this is a summary of one of the TSB's for the 2011/2012. I don't know if you fit in this category though.
Said race tires. I have the stock 18" rims with the stock pirellies.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Said race tires. I have the stock 18" rims with the stock pirellies.
I am ashamed
Old 11-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I am ashamed
Haha wheels will come with time. Been doing other mods first. . I want to get some 19" rims with nitto 05 tires. Just won't be good for winters here.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy

Thanks in advance.
My car does the same thing. Especially bad on road with high traffic from big rigs. It's not uncommon. My 300zx did the same thing.

---------- Post added at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
All roads, even highways have some slope to them for drainage reasons.
08SteedaQ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I have noticed this too. I have never owned a car that took this much work to drive straight.
thejohncarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejohncarlson
I have noticed this too. I have never owned a car that took this much work to drive straight.
Lol
Old 11-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejohncarlson
Glad to see it isn't just me. Doesn't bother me so much now.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Glad to see it isn't just me. Doesn't bother me so much now.
The wider your tires are the more you will notice it.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Think of a skateboarder on a 1/2 pipe. Gravity will pull him down into the middle of the bowl/pipe. When the edge of your tire goes up the side of the groove in the road, gravity is gonna wanna pull your tire down into the middle. Chances are, the other side is in a groove also, so they are fighting back and forth which is why it seems like something is wrong with the front end and you're fighting to keep straight
Old 11-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08SteedaQ350
Think of a skateboarder on a 1/2 pipe. Gravity will pull him down into the middle of the bowl/pipe. When the edge of your tire goes up the side of the groove in the road, gravity is gonna wanna pull your tire down into the middle. Chances are, the other side is in a groove also, so they are fighting back and forth which is why it seems like something is wrong with the front end and you're fighting to keep straight
Yeah I get what you are saying, but my friends 1986 5.0 doesn't do this. I haven't driven it just from asking him I know it doesn't, also my uncles 350Z I drove for a month straight never did it.

My 1970 chevelle SS I sold didn't do this, my 2007 tundra I had didn't do this, my moms 2004 sienna doesn't do this.

Just my mustang haha.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah I get what you are saying, but my friends 1986 5.0 doesn't do this. I haven't driven it just from asking him I know it doesn't, also my uncles 350Z I drove for a month straight never did it.

My 1970 chevelle SS I sold didn't do this, my 2007 tundra I had didn't do this, my moms 2004 sienna doesn't do this.

Just my mustang haha.
My 90 240sx, 93 300zx, 94 sn95 all did it and my 08 gt does it too. I hate it. But such is life lol
Old 11-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

My 90 240sx, 93 300zx, 94 sn95 all did it and my 08 gt does it too. I hate it. But such is life lol
Yeah haha. Like I said before tho, if it isn't just me I am okay with it because then I know I don't have to fight on a warranty claim.

I do hate driving on the bridges over the Ohio river tho because I have to grip the steering wheel with both hands not to slam into the side walls or traffic haha.

But as you said, such is life.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah haha. Like I said before tho, if it isn't just me I am okay with it because then I know I don't have to fight on a warranty claim.

I do hate driving on the bridges over the Ohio river tho because I have to grip the steering wheel with both hands not to slam into the side walls or traffic haha.

But as you said, such is life.
Lol what part of Ohio? I loved just north of Youngstown, Oh for 16 years till I moved back home to Baton Rouge in 2009
Old 11-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol what part of Ohio? I loved just north of Youngstown, Oh for 16 years till I moved back home to Baton Rouge in 2009
I live in Wyoming technically. But Cincinnati is the major city. I work in Florence so I get to make that fun 40 min too and 40 min back to work everyday.

Been through Youngstown, it is a nice town, just kinda in the middle of nowhere. Means you can probably have more fun with your car though. I go up into Loveland/morrow Ohio a lot because I can drive her as loud as I want and no one cares.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I live in Wyoming technically. But Cincinnati is the major city. I work in Florence so I get to make that fun 40 min too and 40 min back to work everyday.

Been through Youngstown, it is a nice town, just kinda in the middle of nowhere. Means you can probably have more fun with your car though. I go up into Loveland/morrow Ohio a lot because I can drive her as loud as I want and no one cares.
Lol Youngstown is the armpit of America. In 2008, I went from working 6-7 days a week to scrounging for work. y-town is kinda run down. Old steel town. They wanted to get a NASCAR track brought into Vienna, oh, but they turned it down. That would brought lots of new money to that tri county area.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol Youngstown is the armpit of America. In 2008, I went from working 6-7 days a week to scrounging for work. y-town is kinda run down. Old steel town. They wanted to get a NASCAR track brought into Vienna, oh, but they turned it down. That would brought lots of new money to that tri county area.
Yeah that is kinda silly. That sounds about the last time I was up there. Seemed to be as you said run down, lots of places closed and out of business.

You do have the most amazing ice cream place up there tho. That was really the only reason I went through that area. That and surprisingly there are a lot of cute girls up there in the middle of nowhere
Old 11-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah that is kinda silly. That sounds about the last time I was up there. Seemed to be as you said run down, lots of places closed and out of business.

You do have the most amazing ice cream place up there tho. That was really the only reason I went through that area. That and surprisingly there are a lot of cute girls up there in the middle of nowhere
Lol let me guess, "Handles Ice Cream"?
There are alot of nice women up there. But Southern women ROCK!!
Old 11-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol let me guess, "Handles Ice Cream"?
There are alot of nice women up there. But Southern women ROCK!!
I do believe that was the place. Forgot the name tho haha.

Dk about southern women. I hear they are amazing but we don't get them in Cincinnati haha. Cincinnati women are terrible.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I do believe that was the place. Forgot the name tho haha.

Dk about southern women. I hear they are amazing but we don't get them in Cincinnati haha. Cincinnati women are terrible.
Lmao
Old 11-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Drove around in both comfort and standard steering modes. The problem basically goes away. Sport is like fighting a bull, but the other two modes are much easier to drive straight.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Drove around in both comfort and standard steering modes. The problem basically goes away. Sport is like fighting a bull, but the other two modes are much easier to drive straight.
I don't have those modes on my base model. I don't think? If i do I dk how too.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tominkc
With the steering asst magnifies the groves in the roads.. That's why you notice it so much more.
Tominkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
I don't have those modes on my base model. I don't think? If i do I dk how too.
IIRC, it's new in the '13. I have a base GT & have the three mode EPAS. Switched to sport for autocross which was nice, then back to standard for the drive home.
claudermilk is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT