Borla on the way! - Page 5 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #141
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Theres essentially no drone to Borla s-types for 11+. You can get a little if youre way down in the RPMs at speed, in higher gears, but even that, which I only heard when testing the full range in each gear, is a tiny fraction of the drone Ive heard in other exhausts.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #142
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladezx View Post
I would love to get an x if it didn't void warranty.
lol what?

how would it void your warranty. O/R X I could see, since theoretically if you get caught, they can theoretically get in trouble too.

In Cincinnati where we have no EPA checks my dealer couldn't careless. Just that whatever I install, if it breaks something else, or is the cause of the issue, I have to pay for it.

---------- Post added at 01:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman View Post
Theres essentially no drone to Borla s-types for 11+. You can get a little if youre way down in the RPMs at speed, in higher gears, but even that, which I only heard when testing the full range in each gear, is a tiny fraction of the drone Ive heard in other exhausts.
no drone on stock cars?

Because removing the cats makes it a whole new ball park.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #143
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy
no drone on stock cars?

Oh did I miss the no cats part of the drone convo? If so, sorry, just checking in from work real quick.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #144
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman View Post
Oh did I miss the no cats part of the drone convo? If so, sorry, just checking in from work real quick.
Yeah I am curious if they don't drone with the cats gone. I love their sound but if they start droning without the cats it'll make me think twice. I don't think it can get much worse than my Roush have been though!
Old 12-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #145
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

Yeah I am curious if they don't drone with the cats gone. I love their sound but if they start droning without the cats it'll make me think twice. I don't think it can get much worse than my Roush have been though!
I'm running high flow cats an no drone I'm pretty sure without cats they would drone.
Ryan7racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #146
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan7racin View Post
I'm running high flow cats an no drone I'm pretty sure without cats they would drone.
It just amazes me no one has them on without cats.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #147
Road Trip!

Quote:

It just amazes me no one has them on without cats.
Yea that is kinda odd, guess cause they sound so good and are loud with cats, so why take them off if it already sounds great. Idk that's just my way of thinking lol
Old 12-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #148
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:

Yea that is kinda odd, guess cause they sound so good and are loud with cats, so why take them off if it already sounds great. Idk that's just my way of thinking lol
+1
I will remove them soon hopefully
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #149
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
because of the huge jump in performance from taking the cats off haha.

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post
+1
I will remove them soon hopefully
be nice if you do before I get a chance to order them. I can't stand the idea of almost 800 dollars to have them drone just as bad as my Roush. I do like the Borla sound though a lot.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #150
Road Trip!

Quote:

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

be nice if you do before I get a chance to order them. I can't stand the idea of almost 800 dollars to have them drone just as bad as my Roush. I do like the Borla sound though a lot.
Is it really that big of a jump in performance? I know it helps some but idk if its worth all the drone and raspy I have never been a fan of the sounds of no cats I think it's over load. I'm running 2 high flow cats, what you think performance wise if I took the 2 cats off would be? ( I'm not going to cause like I said I think no cats is to load and raspy but just wondering, I don't think it would be that big I always heard high flow cats were pretty close to running no cats but helps with the raspy and drone )

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

And I'm pretty sure they would be better than what you got, Borla supposed to guarantee no drone. Mine have no drone but I also have high flow cats and the 4.6
Old 12-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #151
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Is it really that big of a jump in performance? I know it helps some but idk if its worth all the drone and raspy I have never been a fan of the sounds of no cats I think it's over load. I'm running 2 high flow cats, what you think performance wise if I took the 2 cats off would be? ( I'm not going to cause like I said I think no cats is to load and raspy but just wondering, I don't think it would be that big I always heard high flow cats were pretty close to running no cats but helps with the raspy and drone )
Are you running the car in your picture, or a 2011+ 5.0 engine? If the latter, then gains are anywhere from 15-20HP.

My first day with them off, I spun out, because I couldn't feel the power just driving normally down the street, took a turn I have taken nearly 5 days a week for almost 2 years in this car, and spun out. Doing that once definitely makes you appreciate the power this car has.

I just got her dynod today, and she was pushing 411HP and 393Torque. I have a feeling it would be a less had I still had the cats on.

Also, there are guys on here with no cats running 5.0 with the roushes not getting the terrible drone. I keep wondering if I did something wrong haha. I have 0 exhaust leaks, but boy does she drone bad at 2K RPM.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #152
Road Trip!

Quote:

Are you running the car in your picture, or a 2011+ 5.0 engine? If the latter, then gains are anywhere from 15-20HP.

My first day with them off, I spun out, because I couldn't feel the power just driving normally down the street, took a turn I have taken nearly 5 days a week for almost 2 years in this car, and spun out. Doing that once definitely makes you appreciate the power this car has.

I just got her dynod today, and she was pushing 411HP and 393Torque. I have a feeling it would be a less had I still had the cats on.

Also, there are guys on here with no cats running 5.0 with the roushes not getting the terrible drone. I keep wondering if I did something wrong haha. I have 0 exhaust leaks, but boy does she drone bad at 2K RPM.
Yea I'm running a 2001 Gt vert, wow man that's pretty good gains. I wonder what the difference is between no cats and high flows would be.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #153
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea I'm running a 2001 Gt vert, wow man that's pretty good gains. I wonder what the difference is between no cats and high flows would be.
Well, from other people on here with much more knowledge than I, high flow cats on the 5.0 don't add but 1-2 HP. It is the removal of the cats that does.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #154
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:

I think it's the or/x is what's making the drone... I haven't heard anyone complain about Roushs droning
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #155
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstyles2 View Post
I think it's the or/x is what's making the drone... I haven't heard anyone complain about Roushs droning
One of the mods on here has an O/R X with Roushs and no drone. At least not like the drone I have anyway. Minor drone I could stand, having to yell to talk to the other person is insane.

I tried recording it once, but my phone didn't record the drone at all. I might try it again on Sunday when I get back to work.

The drone gets worse in the colder temps too I've noticed.

This is just silly haha.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #156
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

lol what?

how would it void your warranty. O/R X I could see, since theoretically if you get caught, they can theoretically get in trouble too.

In Cincinnati where we have no EPA checks my dealer couldn't careless. Just that whatever I install, if it breaks something else, or is the cause of the issue, I have to pay for it.

---------- Post added at 01:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

no drone on stock cars?

Ya was talking about the o/r. It voids warranty cause the cats get removed. We don't have emission laws in Canada but cats are part of warranty
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #157
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
They dont drome, there is a gt500 13 with LT headers and o/r x pipe and it has 0 drome, remember borla is a top end exhaust and the muffler are design to not drome under any circumstances.
McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #158
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by McQueen View Post
They dont drome, there is a gt500 13 with LT headers and o/r x pipe and it has 0 drome, remember borla is a top end exhaust and the muffler are design to not drome under any circumstances.
Man I don't care if they don't drome! I don't want them to drone!

haha all kidding aside, this was my understanding. You pay a larger price for all the research and time spent fine tuning their exhaust.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT