I know....yet another rear end noise s197 5.0 thread. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-24-2012, 05:27 AM   #1

Region: California
Angry I know....yet another rear end noise s197 5.0 thread.

Hey everyone, just so you know, I didn't sub to get this thread out, I've been an avid reader ever since I bought my 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Brembo. I have searched and searched multiple sites and cannot find anything specific to the sound that I'm hearing. And before I sell the car, (I know, sacrilege!), and buy I brand new 2013 GT I'm gonna give it one more go to see if anyone can remotely give any advice as to what this could possibly be. Bare with me and any, I mean any info would be much appreciated, so thank you in advance.

I loved my car and still do, but this all started after a simple Steeda Sport spring install with Koni "Yellows", dropping my car about 1 inch. The noise is hard to describe but it sounds like (only sound wise) a brake pad is slightly rubbing against a rotor. A continuous rubbing/faint grinding sound or hiss, not really metal to metal but more like metal to teflon? I can barely hear it at low speeds but once I get close to freeway speeds and beyond the sound becomes very profound from the rear wheel well. The sound almost equates to a hissing gas or air leak, which I know its not, well I wouldn't think so.....because I wouldn't be writing this most likely. Let me cover my bases and tell you what I've done to the car which has about 17,000 miles on it. Before I did the Strut/Shock/Spring install I kept the car stock which was for about 15,000 miles and it was a purring kitten. I put some nice oil in the car and put SVE black 19 x 9.5 rims on with 275/40/19 Michelin Pilot SS's (which are an incredible tire) on all fours. After this install, no noise, absolute perfection, just breaking the tires in. Then, of course after the suspension install with a Maximum Motorsport panhard bar to adjust for the drop; the noise, that is haunting me like a ghost from my M3's past, started. I have since tried to isolate the sound. I mean checked and rechecked the wheel well to see if anything is rubbing. When getting it up on two jacks I can turn the wheel and replicate the sound. Even turning the car on and putting it in drive I can replicate the sound, only when in neutral the sound doesn't seem to be present. So I have guessed and guessed as to what it could be, I've changed rotors, brake pads, MM caster/camber plates, a 1 piece aluminum drive shaft from Coast Driveline (nice product), UCA, diff fluid (gears are fine 3:73's), tranny fluid, MM steel brake lines, nice brake fluid, an oil catch can, and tinted windows. Of course, I know some of these aren't related and I've added two more noises in the process that are minor, compared to this retched noise.

So to this point, I am open to any opinion, recommendation or just plain comments. I really do not enjoy the car anymore and its a shame because I feel it was the best car I've ever owned. Which is saying a lot as I've owned some pretty nice $60,000 and under cars. I believe this forum is great and there are a lot of good minds out there. Sorry if I bored you guys, but I think we've all been in pain like this and even if I don't get a solution maybe this thread can lead to help some others. Once again, thank you.
MustangSuspense is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 06:28 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I this might be silly but make sure your dust guards aren't rubbing or almost rubbing something. After that I would check to make sure your Fender linings are all properly attached. After that, your pretty much down to the axles being out of spec. Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble. Spunds like a sweet ride.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I have the dreaded 3.73 hum, very slightly, at legal road speed. I took some leftover carpet underlayment from an old Foxbody and lined the underseat area in the rear with it. Problem solved.

You could pull the brake calipers, hang 'em in the fender and try your static test again. That would isolate the issue to either the braking system or elsewhere and give you a route to go forward with.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangSuspense
Hey everyone, just so you know, I didn't sub to get this thread out, I've been an avid reader ever since I bought my 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 Brembo. I have searched and searched multiple sites and cannot find anything specific to the sound that I'm hearing. And before I sell the car, (I know, sacrilege!), and buy I brand new 2013 GT I'm gonna give it one more go to see if anyone can remotely give any advice as to what this could possibly be. Bare with me and any, I mean any info would be much appreciated, so thank you in advance.

I loved my car and still do, but this all started after a simple Steeda Sport spring install with Koni "Yellows", dropping my car about 1 inch. The noise is hard to describe but it sounds like (only sound wise) a brake pad is slightly rubbing against a rotor. A continuous rubbing/faint grinding sound or hiss, not really metal to metal but more like metal to teflon? I can barely hear it at low speeds but once I get close to freeway speeds and beyond the sound becomes very profound from the rear wheel well. The sound almost equates to a hissing gas or air leak, which I know its not, well I wouldn't think so.....because I wouldn't be writing this most likely. Let me cover my bases and tell you what I've done to the car which has about 17,000 miles on it. Before I did the Strut/Shock/Spring install I kept the car stock which was for about 15,000 miles and it was a purring kitten. I put some nice oil in the car and put SVE black 19 x 9.5 rims on with 275/40/19 Michelin Pilot SS's (which are an incredible tire) on all fours. After this install, no noise, absolute perfection, just breaking the tires in. Then, of course after the suspension install with a Maximum Motorsport panhard bar to adjust for the drop; the noise, that is haunting me like a ghost from my M3's past, started. I have since tried to isolate the sound. I mean checked and rechecked the wheel well to see if anything is rubbing. When getting it up on two jacks I can turn the wheel and replicate the sound. Even turning the car on and putting it in drive I can replicate the sound, only when in neutral the sound doesn't seem to be present. So I have guessed and guessed as to what it could be, I've changed rotors, brake pads, MM caster/camber plates, a 1 piece aluminum drive shaft from Coast Driveline (nice product), UCA, diff fluid (gears are fine 3:73's), tranny fluid, MM steel brake lines, nice brake fluid, an oil catch can, and tinted windows. Of course, I know some of these aren't related and I've added two more noises in the process that are minor, compared to this retched noise.

So to this point, I am open to any opinion, recommendation or just plain comments. I really do not enjoy the car anymore and its a shame because I feel it was the best car I've ever owned. Which is saying a lot as I've owned some pretty nice $60,000 and under cars. I believe this forum is great and there are a lot of good minds out there. Sorry if I bored you guys, but I think we've all been in pain like this and even if I don't get a solution maybe this thread can lead to help some others. Once again, thank you.
You said you changed rotors... Did you replace with a slotted rotor? That would cause the exact sound you are talking about.

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:35 AM   #5

Thank you guys for all your rapid responses. I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
I this might be silly but make sure your dust guards aren't rubbing or almost rubbing something. After that I would check to make sure your Fender linings are all properly attached. After that, your pretty much down to the axles being out of spec. Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble. Spunds like a sweet ride.
This doesn't sound so silly, as I haven't checked the dust guards yet, and I will get back to you if anything changes. lol And I'll double check the fender linings as well. The axles "are" in spec, they we off center a little bit but everything looks good now. Thanks DaBluedude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
I have the dreaded 3.73 hum, very slightly, at legal road speed. I took some leftover carpet underlayment from an old Foxbody and lined the underseat area in the rear with it. Problem solved.

You could pull the brake calipers, hang 'em in the fender and try your static test again. That would isolate the issue to either the braking system or elsewhere and give you a route to go forward with.
Yeah, I too have the 3.73 "whine", but unfortunately its not the noise I want to remedy yet. (These are too completely different sounds.) I can deal with the fake supercharger sound for now. Thats a very good point about the brake calipers tho, as I was kicking myself when I had the car up before the holidays, I should have at least ruled out the braking system all together. I'll get back to you on this one as well, thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcowboy View Post
You said you changed rotors... Did you replace with a slotted rotor? That would cause the exact sound you are talking about.
I did replace the rotors with slotted ebc's. But unfortunately this sound was the same before and after the rotor change, way before. But a good idea none the less.

Once again, thank you guys, as now I have a couple things that might link me to a resolution. Anymore feedback is welcome, you guys are really cool.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangSuspense View Post
Thank you guys for all your rapid responses. I really appreciate it.

This doesn't sound so silly, as I haven't checked the dust guards yet, and I will get back to you if anything changes. lol And I'll double check the fender linings as well. The axles "are" in spec, they we off center a little bit but everything looks good now. Thanks DaBluedude!

Yeah, I too have the 3.73 "whine", but unfortunately its not the noise I want to remedy yet. (These are too completely different sounds.) I can deal with the fake supercharger sound for now. Thats a very good point about the brake calipers tho, as I was kicking myself when I had the car up before the holidays, I should have at least ruled out the braking system all together. I'll get back to you on this one as well, thanks man.

I did replace the rotors with slotted ebc's. But unfortunately this sound was the same before and after the rotor change, way before. But a good idea none the less.

Once again, thank you guys, as now I have a couple things that might link me to a resolution. Anymore feedback is welcome, you guys are really cool.
So, into the dealership she goes. Had some extensive testing done yesterday, and have ruled out the breaks, or anything visibly rubbing together to create the rear end noise. I'm so afraid to take it in as I've heard all the horror stories regarding warranty disqualification. Although I haven't touched the engine or the tranny, no one can predict what the service guys will say. I do have a couple things going for me tho. I know a finance manager really well, he actually sold me the car and got promoted 2x, since, so I know he wants me to be happy. I'm also taking the car from where I originally purchased my Stang, and they are the largest Ford dealership in the world. I think they've held the title of being the biggest auto dealership before as well. Anyway, I'm crossing my fingers, oh and I think it's the axle bearings, but I don't know how a suspension install could have disturbed them. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #7
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
After I replaced the uca and tq mount I began hearing a similar noise. I believes it's the added nvh of the driveshaft rotating and the friction created. That's the only logical thing I can come up with. Car does not drive or act differently but I hear that slight rubbing/scrubbing noise and its gets faster with with speed. Either that or just added nvh from the brakes

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:16 AM   #8

Yeah, that could be it, only my noise started before the uca and driveshaft install. In fact the only thing that was different on the car was when it was slightly dropped (Steeda springs + Koni yellows). Update today, as I took the car in and really feel like I'm in good hands. The service was great and I had two shop foreman come for a ride along with me, which led them to diagnose not only this crazy sound but 3 other sounds that they didn't think we're normal. So they gave me a v6 mustang as a loner and said we might have to keep it up to a week. Which I don't mind, I just want the noise gone. I'll keep you posted as to what happens next.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, that could be it, only my noise started before the uca and driveshaft install. In fact the only thing that was different on the car was when it was slightly dropped (Steeda springs + Koni yellows). Update today, as I took the car in and really feel like I'm in good hands. The service was great and I had two shop foreman come for a ride along with me, which led them to diagnose not only this crazy sound but 3 other sounds that they didn't think we're normal. So they gave me a v6 mustang as a loner and said we might have to keep it up to a week. Which I don't mind, I just want the noise gone. I'll keep you posted as to what happens next.
I would make sure they don't nail you with a huge bill.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
I would make sure they don't nail you with a huge bill.
Yeah, that would be horrible. In knowing the head finance manager and about 4 other people, including the service manager, I don't think they would pull something like that. Galpin is huge, so big that customer service and support means much more to them than a couple thousand here or there. Does that sound naive? Sure it does, but in talking to all of them and seeing how much they pride themselves at being #1 in just about everything, has me believing in what they told me has been the truth. There is also the fact that the service manager was impressed at my diagnosis abilities, if you will, and offered me a job. I don't know if selling cars is something I want to do, but would they screw over there own people? I don't know, these days anything can happen, as I've seen a lot of crazy and strange stuff. I guess I'm just trying to be optimistic. Updates are coming and thanks.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, that would be horrible. In knowing the head finance manager and about 4 other people, including the service manager, I don't think they would pull something like that. Galpin is huge, so big that customer service and support means much more to them than a couple thousand here or there. Does that sound naive? Sure it does, but in talking to all of them and seeing how much they pride themselves at being #1 in just about everything, has me believing in what they told me has been the truth. There is also the fact that the service manager was impressed at my diagnosis abilities, if you will, and offered me a job. I don't know if selling cars is something I want to do, but would they screw over there own people? I don't know, these days anything can happen, as I've seen a lot of crazy and strange stuff. I guess I'm just trying to be optimistic. Updates are coming and thanks.
It sounds good, but the thing is, for the accountants to justify paying the staff for the hours they work, money has to come in. (not in a necessity way, in a logistical way). Tiny issues like this are a diagnostictions wet dream because they van sink hours of bills into it. Just be wary.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:50 AM   #12

Just wanted to give everyone an update. The Stang has now been at the dealership for almost 7 full days since Monday of last week. I haven't been notified or called which leads me to think that they are either tearing apart my car trying their best to determine what noises are coming from where, or maybe they are just letting the car sit while they throw their hands up in the air, waiting to fly in a special services mechanic. (I doubt it) Anyway, here's whats really gonna blow your mind, well it did mine. So they gave me a v6 Stang as a loner, and I didn't really drive it when I first had until around 3 days in. To my shock and dismay I noticed the same damn noise in the rear end as in my car! This is a bone stock 2010 mustang v6 rental car with almost the same amount of miles! What in the heck is goin' on Ford? I mean this noise is the exact same noise as in mine coming from the rear end. Now I don't know if I can blame Ford just yet, that's not really fair actually, but it concerns me that this could be a huge part or assembly defect that Ford is not addressing. Or it could be a coincidence, but those odds I would think to be very long indeed. I've done my research and I don't want to write a novel on it (I know you guys are probably way better than me in using forum search tools and have more patience) to bore you. So I'm going to give the dealership a couple more days, just to hear what they might have to say. If not then I'll call them and no matter how this all comes out, the v6 rental will definitely play a role in this crazy, mysterious crap shoot. Once again, I'll continue to keep you guys posted. Thanks everyone.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Is the rental a older 4.0 car or the newer 3.7. Honestly I think your just hearing gear noise. Buy some dynamat, throw it in the trunk and on the back seats and be done.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:59 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude
Is the rental a older 4.0 car or the newer 3.7. Honestly I think your just hearing gear noise. Buy some dynamat, throw it in the trunk and on the back seats and be done.
+1
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #15

It's a 4.0 v6. And believe me I would love to just dynomat the entire car and kill all the noises. LoL To be honest I'll probably be doing it regardless, but in the end, gears don't really make a hissing sound, do they? I mean they whine, possibly grind or even grumble. I already have the whine, and that came after the new driveshaft install, due to pinion angle, a competition uca and spherical bearing panhard bar.....probably. Well, I'm calling the Dealership today and will update you guys again. Thanks for the dynomat recommendation and feel free to chime in with any other ideas or experiences, that goes for anyone. Thanks guys.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Just more food for thought...change the rear end fluid to a different viscosity and see what happens. I would go synthetic. An old school technique to locate sounds is to put the car on stands and run it, using a long metal rod to hold against the car in different locations while holding the other end of the rod in one hand, placing the closed hand against your ear, rod away from your ear by adjustments to allow clear sound. I have done this to locate worn bearings, chipped gears, even low oil. Works great to locate which cylinder/lifter is making the sound.
Good luck.
mtnman325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #17

Sorry about the delay in updates as this has been one crazy and mysterious ride. I've had the car at the dealership for 3 weeks and then got it home. The car actually went back in and has the double joint steel driveshaft back in the car with a metal spherical adj. uca on the car and now half the noises are gone. The hissing sound is almost entirely gone, only when accelerating does it rear it's ugly head. But still, less nvh than before. The diff fluid was changed out by Ford as they were checking to see if gears were ok, and they were. So they put their silicon sealed, Motorcraft w/ friction mod fluid back in the pumpkin. I think the major culprit has to be the competition level upper control arm. The reason Ford went with the double jointed DS, partly, was to get rid of some of the inherent nvh in the 1st place. So when I put in a uca to compensate for the suspension install with only a slight drop, I probably added nvh, with the pinion angle being slightly off. I think my play now, is to finally get the rest of the sounds out, and making sure I get a poly-urethane uca to get it close to stock form. There still is the clunky tranny, the grumbling engine noise, ticking and slight rear end hiss. But I think I'm getting to the bottom of this. Thanks for the tip about the metal rod mtnman, I'd heard about it, but never tried it. Once I get my car back, I'll def be playing Sherlock Holmes. Thanks everyone again, and I'll update as soon as the car comes back in the next couple of days.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT